cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mamograms after mascectomy and reconstrution

7 REPLIES 7
skinnyminx

Re: Mamograms after mascectomy and reconstrution

That's really interesting bellakate, I didn't realise mammograms were done on reconstructed breasts and it's not something I've heard of locally (southern England).  Makes complete sense because, as you say, in some cases, depending on how the recon was done there could still be some breast tissue remaining. 

bellakate

I live in Northern Ireland. I have had a double mastectomy with reconstruction,up until this year I had a mammogram on the reconstructed breasts. I throught this was normal procedure because there could still be some breast tissue there

skinnyminx

Hi there,

I had a left mastectomy (without reconstruction) in 2009.  I've had annual mammograms of the (unaffected) right breast since then.  Theoretically I would now revert to the national screening programme (i.e. 3 yearly mammograms), as I'm now 52 and 5 years post-diagnosis.   

However, I have a BRCA1 genetic variation and have arranged via my geneticist to have annual mammograms going forward.

You don't say whether you've had a single or double mastectomy/reconstruction.  If you still have a natural i.e. 'unreconstructed' breast, I would have thought that, with a BRCA2 genetic variation, you have a strong case to have annual mammograms on that side.    

My geneticist has been very supportive in ensuring I am able to access the appropriate screening (for various cancers) so maybe you could persuade your geneticist to do the same.  Or, if you haven't had a genetics referral perhaps you could obtain one via your GP.  Don't know whereabouts you live but my geneticist is at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford and has been excellent throughout the long process of genetic testing/screening/counselling.

All the best.

bellakate

Just bringing to top

bellakate

just bring to top

bellakate

Just bring to the top to see if I can get any replies

June_BCC

Hello Bellakate

Whilst waiting for replies to your post maybe you would like to give our free helpline a call and have a chat with one of the staff who can offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

bellakate

Mamograms after mascectomy and reconstrution

Please could some one give me some advice. I went for my yearly mamogram yesterday and was told I would nolonger get one as I have had a mascectomy and reconstrution. I had my cancer in 2010 and then preventitive suergery in 2012 as I have the BRAC 2 gene. My two sisters also had breast cancer and they Have both died Pat  6 years ago and Angela last year. I am 54 and I just feel abandoned now. Maybe it was just a comfort but It give me some peace of mind. Is this the norm.