Manchester Consultant

Manchester Consultant

Manchester Consultant Hi Girls

Has anyone heard of a consultant called Doctor Brain from Manchester. Im thinking of having reconstruction and heard that she is really good?

Thanks Debbie

Hi Debbie

I had Bilateral Masectomies and Recon (Tissue expanders for the minute) 6 weeks ago.

Initially I was under Mr Baildam - he then went off sick, although he is back now. My friend was referred to Miss Brain (or is it Brayne) and has been really pleased with her. I as referred to Ged Byrne - also Manchester and I think he is fantastic. I think that the Manchester team are all great and I would have been happy with any of them.

Hope this helps, if you want any more specific info let me know.
L x

Hello I’m also in the North and looking for a consultant. I have also heard very good things about Miss Brain (?spelling). I had not realised that she does implants - I was told that oncoplastic surgeons normally didn’t. I think you are lucky if you’ve ben referred to her - I don’t think people where I live normally get much of a chioce - although that may be unfair. What I have found useful is going to see and feel others which have been done - sounds kinky but they do feel different, and you have to be prepared - is my opinion. I’ve been comforted that the three ‘jobs’ I’ve seen have all looked fine - and were done by two different Manchester based surgeons and one from my area.

hi debbie and blonde i am also waiting a bilateral mastectomy in manchester but have been to see a proffessor Bundred who i believe is going to work along side miss brain (?) i was due to see mr baildon but unfortunately he had hurt his hand? has anybody come across mr bundred as i would really be interested in your consultations with him. my original consultant recommended the matectomy but because i have a good diagnosis mr bundred has said i dont need one but after many hours soul searching and climbing the walls i am having the mastectomy with immediate recon with inflaters but it is now classed as elective!!i have only made final decision yesterday and am desperately trying to contact breast care nurse but doesnt seem to be getting back to me. so your posts have definitely helped me tonight. this has all been going on since jan. the op is booked for 31st may!!! i am so glad you are reasured by the ops you have seen. i have actually been put in touch with somebody from the peer support and had first phone call today maybe this might be an option to find somebody who has had the same surgeons

take care hope all goes well
mandy x

Ms Anne Brain? Hi Girls

Many thanks for your posting. I was told about the above surgeon by someone who had had bc bilateral surgery 10 years ago. She has seen the work that she has done and speaks very highly of her. My friend has had implants but has recommended that I go for the ‘tummy tuck’ approach?? Sorry…I only finished my treatment last April and all this is now new to me, so I don’t know all the ‘correct’ terms to use!

I’ll let you know if I find out anything more.

Good luck everyone.

Debbie

Just about to leave hosp after tummy tuck recon Hi Debbie
i have just had a diep recon…now have a tummy that is as flat as a board…it will depend on wether u have enough fat…i did just and they ended up having to take all my abdo fat and 2 dieps which added 2hrs 2 op…7 in total…amazing recovery…on just paracetamol in just 3 days…boob might need a little adjustment but is amazing…
wishing you loads of luck
anna xxx

Hi Girls

My op was elective - I carry Brac2 gene and don’t have cancer.

Mr Baildam was my original surgeon, who is fantastic - I have seen three of his ops (and have felt them too!). My friend had hers done by Mrs B two weeks before mine (electively) she has had the same op as me. My eventual surgeon Ged Byrne is an onco and he does recon and implants too, they all pretty much work together. Mr Byrne shares a secretary with Prof Bundredd, if you look on the Bupa website and look up manchester it gives a profile of Prof Bundredd.

BCN’s are slippery fish to get hold of sometimes…

Please also try www.bcpals.org.uk there is a private messaging system there which may help you to get in touch with others in your situation/same surgeons…

Hope this helps
L x

Having the same Hi Debbie,
I should have read your question first, I have an appointment with Mrs Brain, My appointment is in july at wythenshawe hospital, where are you having your op done?

Ann Brain Hi
I also have appt in june regarding recon with Ann Brain at the Christie Hospital.
I had BC in 2001 Bilateral Mastectomy and Saline implants.CMF Chemo no Rads 5yr Arimadex.
Had a recurrance Aug 06 15mm Her2+ tumor behind implant Oncologist gave me chemo first 3 cycles EC and 3EC +Herceptin.
Finished jan07 had Implant removed by Mrs Brain end of jan the tumor had gone.
I finished 15 days rads on wed and I am due to start 1 year Herceptin 29th May
I dont know if i will be able to have implants after the rads does anyone know if she does Diep recon?
Take Care Linda

hi lisa1974 as you went down the road of elective masectomy i wondered how much resistance you had to go through for them to carry this out. i have come up against quite a bit and the picture of the masectomy that they have painted is awful even though i know they have to give the worst senarious.
i have thought about this long and hard and know it is right for me as they have alredy stated i will def get more cancers but only grade 1 but dont want to live wondering and waiting. Dont know if it is me totally paranoid but feel like a naughty school girl and bcn not very happy with me. my other posting explain most of situation and your postings help
thanks for listening
mandy x x x

Hi Mandy

I didn’t get any resistance at all to my decision… I decided prior to genetic test that if it came back positive I would have the surgery. No-one advised me to have it, nor did anyone try to talk me out of it. I guess it can be seen as quite drastic to have healthy breasts removed, but to me there was no decision, once I knew I had the gene that was it, I wanted to have the op asap. In terms of the op, I know that they give you worst case scenario - I was under the impression that I would be in agony, be bedridden for weeks and not be able to do anything for myself… I know that everyone is different and I am fairly young so should expect to recover well, but I was amazed at how well I was post surgery, little pain - more discomfort and then the day after surgery up having a wash myself and begging the nurse to wash my hair !

I am sorry you have been made to feel like this, the only negative I felt in the whole process was being made to feel like I was “vain” in wanting to “look ok” after surgery, as a young woman and with the risk of cancer being “removed as much as possible” I still wanted to think I could look ok. My new surgeon Ged Byrne didn’t make me feel like that in any way and has done a fantastic job so far.

I didn’t find the bcn very helpful at all, she gave me conflicting information, scared me to death with my histology results (which were normal) and “told me off” for having expansion too early, like the consultant didn’t have a say in it ! I wonder if it is the same one you are “struggling” with !

Hope that this helps
L xx

thanks lisa thanks for your reply it just makes me feel abit better
i too was ok with the masectomy initially when my first consultant told me i needed one. my biological mother(sister) passed away with a ten month diagnosis of breast cancer so dont really know if i have the gene or not but do know i can live without boobs! this decision has not been taken lightly and i do appreciate the frustration that proff Bundredd feels not being able to talk me out of it. but eventually i will most prob end up with masectomy he just said he wanted to keep me as young woman with boobs for maybe ten years. i have given it my best shot trying to go in other direction but unfortunately i am more relaxed with masectomy option and first consultant still goes with this as he can see i will live better with it.
i am normally a very positive person who can mostly find a positive out of a negative but god my head is mashed and this has really pushed me to the limit. but as my best friend always says (i actually think she has suffered more through this than all of us ) hey ho onwards and upwards.
Is very interesting about breast care nurse who at mo will not let me get anywhere near the doc! and i now have the motivation to insist on this as i need to discuss the op and nipples. she really has come out with some classics.
I had breast reduction 18 months ago which highlighted the breast cancer and was not in any pain at all with that so fingers crossed.
good luck if you can make head or tail of this i know it rambles on
thanks again
mandy x x

I find it interesting that Prof advises you against mastectomy even though another con has been happy with that decision.

I am 32 and my boobs are gone - I don’t feel sorry about that, I am glad to be rid of the “constant worry” I feel absolutely fine and am confident to show my “work in progress” off to anyone who wants to see ! I am delighted so far, but can’t wait to get implants in and nipples on ! I took the decision to have the op whilst young and healthy and not when I “had to”

I think you should insist on an appointment, and ring his secretary if you get no joy with bcn. If you are not happy with prof I would also maybe ask for a second opinion, Mr Baildam is back at work now, Mrs Brain and Mr Byrne are both also great ! (all manchester)

Hope this helps
L x

www.bcpals.org.uk

thanks again lisa once again thanks i think our thoughts on this are pretty much the same as i just want to get on with it whilst i am reasonably young (46) thought i was getting on a bit but all this makes you realise how young you maybe still are.

all i can say that the proff did say that he was willing to do it if that was what i really wanted. i think i had forgotten this due to neg vibes off bcn you have really put me back on the right track again if only to make me realise that i was so positive in beginning and she has only knocked me side ways for a while.
part of me would of liked to of been with mr bailden and miss brain(brayne) as my original consultant and people on here are so full of praise for them. But in all fairness the proff. was very nice as well and did appreciate that i needed to think long and hard about this.
the genetic profiling he is going of is very interesting and gives a ten year diagnosis but unfortunately i dont want to put it to the test.
i was due to have surgery end of may but due to my son taking his exams then and the nature of my cancer i am having it in aug going on tamoxifen in mean time. a little bit apprehensive about this but know it is for the best as he has been through so much. we are taking the holiday we cancelled due to my mother (grandmother really complicated) passing away last aug. but really just need to get on with this.
i am even going back to my original feelings about getting rid of nipples as well

thanks again i know i ramble abit /alot it has just been along 5 months

its helped alot
mandy x x
have struggled to get onto bcpals will try again

Mandy

I am sure you could get ref back to Mr Baildam if you asked and wanted to, seeing as risk reducing surgery is his speciality.

Have you asked for a genetic test by the way ?

I see that you are the newest registered member on bc pals !
Look forward to speaking to you on there, it is a great site and lots of help and support is available.

L x

hi lisa according to the Proff it wouldnt make any difference now as i have already grown a grade one cancer and my own body genetics are saying that i will only grow this in the future. apparently the brac gene comes in at grade 3! my sisters are in the process of going down the route at the moment. as we have not been able to get tested before.
if you look on cancerhelp.org.uk undergenetic profiling the report is on there and look up mamma print. it is interesting but nobody in the cancer world except proff new about it. my original breast care nurse and her colleage found some info last week. by the way original breast care nurse and consultant have been fantastic and have spent hours talking this through with me.
hopefully be on bcpals later as waiting for admission.

speak later
mandy x x

That is interesting - not heard about that before, I will have a look. I guess that the prof is the expert !

Hope to see you on BC pals soon.

L xx