cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Sorry to hear u feel low about your spots... I'm not wearing makeup anymore, just a nice facial sunscreen that's got a shine. I think we r more sensitive now, I'm only using baby wipes in my face or gentle face wipes. I've stopped caffein which I think helps. I'm tired tonight, I took charlotte horse riding today. She loves it. Enjoyed the sun. Got my third Fec on the 21st so trying now to enjoy my good few days. Love to all xxxxx
Highlighted

Anyone got angry red spots all over their flippin faces or is that just me? I look absolutely horrendous!! FEC number 3 on Wednesday and hair is thinning but still no bald patches, just these spots. Getting me down today. Won't leave the house because I look so bad. 😢xx

Ah hair, goodbye old friend ....... Think I took my last trip out without hat/ wig tonight the bald patch is beginning to show, I wonder how long a comb over will do?  I have visions of old men and wind blowing!   FEC 2 on Wednesday.

Highlighted

Anyone else's face broken out in itchy angry bright red spots?? My face is absolutely horrendous. Getting me down a lot today.😢xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm doing own Hosp gave me a bin! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I didnt get a sharps bin either so had to do this x i just wrapped up well then put in a tupperware and poured tupperware into the big sharps bin on chemo day xx
Highlighted

Thanks Jen. Will mention spots next time I see the doctor or consultant and keep a close eye on them in the meantime. Aileen x

Highlighted

Ah, haven't read through threads properly! I am doing my own so district nurses won't provide bin, will ask the gp or take them back next time x

Highlighted

Thanks jen, re: needles  that's what I thought just expected to be given a bin,  don't know why I didn't think of just keeping them in the box out the way, duh x

Highlighted

Hi Helly, I phoned my doctors surgery for a sharpes box and was given a prescription to collect from local chemist.

Highlighted

Helly,

Call the district nurses for a sharps bin do not put them in ordinary bin. If necessary find an old lunch bix or plastic ice cream tub as a stop gap. If the district nurses are coming to do your injections they will take the sharps away.

Keep a diary about how you are feeling, when/if you are sick and when you take your pills in case you do need some extra anti sickness meds the next time.

Ali xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Helly x 3 days should be enough
?
please dont put in normal bin although they retract if they crack etc in the bin someone could still end up with a needlestick injury if they hand sort for recycling.

I suggest pop back in the tray thats in the box then in the box and sandwich bag or cling flim the box , pop out of the way of kids etc till next chemo then take for their sharps bin at the hospital

Jen x
Highlighted

Hi, had 1st Fec yesterday  can I check  how much anti sickness  meds people  where sent home with, I have 3 days supply will this be enough, just thinking the weekend is coming up? Also been given injections for 7 says they have a retractable needle  and I wasn't given a sharps bin the put them in do they go in ordinary bin.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

Just to say do try speak to a doc about itchy bumps on hands , after putting up with my little itchy spots on my hands through 15 of my 21 weeks of chemo ,yesterday I ended up on antibiotics as they had ended up infected and covering the whole back of both hands gradually spreading each week, they wernt too concerned at first so just watched and waited but they tipped from being ok and mildly irritating full blown pain over a couple of weeks. I spent my first chemo & hospital free week seeing doctors about that instead. I did use tea tree on a few when there wernt many and that seemed to work if they can sort them while you only have a few with a bit of steroid or antibiotic cream then it may be easier to catch it xx
Highlighted

Thanks for your reply. Glad im not the only one though sorry you have them too. xx

Highlighted

Aileen... I have my 3rd next Wednesday and I'm covered. I look unsightly but they will go next week after the next one. I'm exactly the same. Just try not to mess with them. They're awful aren't they? x
Highlighted

Hi all,

I am 12 days after my 2nd fec and have got lots of little spots on my skin on the back of my hands, my neck and my forehead. I am not particularly worried about them but some of them are quite itchy and when scratched quite sore. Has anyone else had any skin issues?

Thanks,

Aileen

Highlighted

Hi Aileen, thank you for the the web details I'll definitely check it out. X

Highlighted

Emmajane I hope you're right coa my breast care nurse told me that the T was the awful bit as it aches your joints and your bones become painful. I don't get a lot of injections, I get all of mine together in one and they make me a bit woozy but nothing too bad. It passes quickly. X
Highlighted

Hi Emma Jane, haven't posted on here for a while, yeah the injections take their toll on me too, I feel really lethargic, get headaches and have awful bone pain by about the 7th 8th one.. At least paracetamol sorts it out. As soon as they are done I feel normal!! Doc says I can skip the last two if pain gets too bad but ill see how I get on.. Can't wait for my good week when I can feel half human again! : - )
Highlighted

That's me half way now. EC all done next one wil be T.

Just need to get through the side effects now!!

*sigh*

Ali xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Helen my hair started to shed just before second chemo but I didn't cap. Do the injections effect anyone else?? Make me light headed and a bit fuzzy, last cycle I felt normal as soon as they stopped!!!!!! I know they're necessary tho... 😡
Highlighted
Community Champion

I felt relieved when I finally shaved, the day before cycle 2. I know it's going to come back and for me it's part of the process, getting rid of the cancer! I have bought a wig but not keen, so enjoying wearing pretty scarves for now. I'm hoping it's only 4 more chemo, now 2 done but they did say it could be 8 in total 🙈 But I've heard the T isn't as bad? The injections seem to wipe me out a bit I'm fuzzy after them then improve as the day goes on. By Friday I shall feel OK as it's the last one! Then 2 good weeks and off we go again. Let's keep rocking them off ladies!! How are we all today? xxx
Highlighted

Hi Sue, Sorry i got the name confused (chemo brain!) - it is actually called Head Strong and is part of this website.

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

Highlighted

Day 15 of cycle 1. Mouth ulcers getting better but now I'm constipated!!!! Will these side effects never end??

Hair has started to shed tonight while I was watching TV. I did cold cap but worried at the time that it wasn't a good fit as it wasn't as cold as I expected. Hoping the shedding is not as bad as it looks. I really admire all the ladies on here who have just shaved it off but I'm not ready to face that just yet. I know that sounds vain but it is totally freaking me out!!!! Intend to cold cap again for cycle 2 and keeping everything crossed that it works. My hairdresser says I have more than the average head of hair so hoping that's a good thing. Helen xx

Highlighted

Well today I have no side effects at all except the sore patches on my head. Apart from that I'm smashing. My arm is agony but I'm going to go to the walk in about it tomorrow xx
Highlighted

Hi Aileen, do you have a web address for Headstart? I've tried Google but not had any luck. I'm on the Herts/Beds border and hoping there's one nearby. Many thanks. Sue X

Highlighted

2nd cycle FEC today. Different from first session very tired with headache slept on and off this afternoon. Appointment at hairdressers tomorrow - not sure how much will be left to cut though. Only 4 cycles to go yay!! Good luck to everyone wherever you are in this journey. Xx

Highlighted

Tonya. That is exactly how i feel about losing my hair. There are lots of people i see who do not know i am ill and if i lose my hair then everyone will have to know. I would just prefer to be able to look and feel normal on the good weeks.

However, I have come to terms with the fact that i might lose my hair regardless of cold cap. Someone on here recommended Headstart who do one hour 1 to 1 appointments to look at hats and scarves that suit you. I have an appointment for next Thursday so hoping enough of my hair stays until then. They are in different places all over UK if you want to try them.

Aileen x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Tonya I got lovely scarves I'm not keen on wig either need it trimming. Xxx
Highlighted

Hi
I've developed a little cough but why is it I find myself thinking the worst and not that it's just a cough that my
Little one has passed on! My temp is normal and feel well in myself! I hate dark thoughts 😒 Having a down day, Colista xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I had watery eyes for a bit. Git my sore throat back had it last time but temp normal. Will keep an eye on it. Do u have a walk in centre Jem? If ur worried ring again and ask ward to c u xxxxx
Highlighted

I just want to be able to go out in the days I feel 'normal' and look 'normal'? I would actually consider the bald look if it wasn't for a strawberry birthmark and a big mole on the back of my head! 😕 I've tried a wig, but not sure I could put up with that in the summer?!
Highlighted

I tried the cold cap for my first chemo. It was fine but I found once the meds were administered I felt mega sickly and disorientated so I've now decided 25 mins simply to get meds, if my hair falls out it will grow back. I want to be as comfortable as possible, plus I've cropped my hair gradually since Oct so why try and save it... I now sport a GI Jane and it's not bad at all. X
Highlighted

Still absolute agony. Rang the docs today and they won't see me until the 18th unless a cancellation comes up so unsure what to do now. Gonna try for an emergency appt in the morning. I've got terrible watery eyes today too. If it's not one thing, it's another 🙈. Are you OK??xx
Highlighted

Hi, I'm new on here. I'm due my second fec-t on Friday. Having chemo prior to op. I tried the cold cap, been shredding quite a bit the last 2 days but hoping it's just going to thin....
Has anyone else tried it? How you getting on? I'm going to try it again Friday but just hoping I'm not going through the pain of it for nothing and whether it's worth it in the grand scheme of things?!
Highlighted

Been to docs and I have oral thrush so sent me home with difflam and nystatin. God it tastes vile but better than a sore mouth!!!! Had to have bloods checked and white cells are low but nothing to worry about. Just want to get 2nd cycle over with now. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Jem how is your arm? Xx I've felt rough today had chemo Thursday. Just low and fed up! Determined to feel better tomo!!
Highlighted

Hi Janine

first FEC I was absolutely fine with so don't worry just enjoy feeling good. 2nd cycle slightly worst but after a few days begin to feel normal again. Drs have told me to do things when I can bcus there will be days when you can't. Feelings wise all over the place. Have you had surgery yet or chemo first? Colista xxx

Highlighted

I used the cold cap once. I've had my 2nd fec and I'm still sporting a full head of hair. Hopefully it will just thin out rather than leave bald patches. Good luck with the cold cap. You've gotta lot more will power than me x
Highlighted

Glad you are feeling better Helen. Hope the doctor can sort our mouth out. I am 10 days after my 2nd fec and have felt back to normal quicker this time

Re hairloss i think it doesn't normally start until 2 to 3 weeks after chemo. I didnt lose any before my 2nd fec so i thought the ice cap had worked a treat. However sadly it started the day after and has been falling out steadily ever since. However, after the initial panic i am amazed every day how much can fall out and yet i still have a full head of hair. it is much thinner as my hair was really thick to start with but i don't think anyone else would notice. I'm just hoping that if i carry on with the ice cap i will be able to keep enough to make do. Fingers crossed for helen and anyone else who is trying the ice cap.

Aileen xx

Highlighted

Day 12 of my first EC and finally feel like myself again. No sign of any hair loss yet so fingers crossed the cold cap worked. Started with sore mouth over weekend and beginning to think it could be oral thrush. Just made appt at doctors as it's easier than going up to chemo unit at hospital. Helen x
Highlighted

Emma Jane my profile is a family photo. I've not sent request, can't find you! You can find me easier, Colette Sinclair xx

Highlighted

I'm also having chemo first. My understanding is shrink the tumour and as it is in the nodes so yap as much as possible.  If it works and shrinks possibly only need a lumpectomy instead of a mx. 2nd cycle on Tuesday (fingers crossed bloods ok). Due to have hair cut next week but not sure if I'll need it - hair coming out in handfalls!!!! Not looking forward to next week have felt nearly normal in the last week, although I have a massive appetite at the mo!

Highlighted

As long as its getting smaller chick. You'll be done soon enough x
Highlighted

I think all hospitals treat it differently clearly! My
Consultant said there was advantages at having chemo first as they can see if the chemo is working I.e shrinkage! He said by removing breast iwhilst tissue is clear they use chemo as a precaution afterwards but
Can't really say it's working cus nothing is there anymore! I hate knowing it's still inside me but putting
My trust in them and praying its shrinking regards Colista xxx
Highlighted

Hmm mine too. Then they found lots of DCIS so I had a further 2 ops before a final mastectomy. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

To shrink my tumours xxx and stop it in tracks as it was in nodes
Highlighted
Community Champion

After 3 treatments c consultant. Xxx Lettie are u blonde with short hair? Have u sent me a request?
Highlighted

Why did they not give you a mastectomy before chemo... They did mine first?x