342739posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Highlighted

Re: March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Hi Collista, I agree with Ali could be pent up indigestion.  Someone recommended lansoprozole from the GP and that really helped esp at night.   Are you also having the injections to boost your white bloodcells?  I was told they give you pain where they are boosting the cell production often in centre of your chest so it could also be a bit of that which will ease when you stop them.  I also find I am doing explosive burps which releases the wind and helps the indigestion pain, what polite company we all are now!!!  Hope you get some respite soon, off to buy more bird feeders so I have more to look at out the window after the next cycle, a bit of change from my usual mad hobbies xxx

Highlighted

Hi Colista!

Re: the moth ball thing, if it feels like it's a lump stuck at the top of your chest (like you've swallowed bread and can't shift it) it could be indigestion so try an over the counter thing like zantac/nexium/ranitidine to see if it helps, as gavescon etc aren't really up to the task. I only suggest buying something if you can't get to the GP today.

If I've got it all wrong just ignore me!!

Ali xx
Highlighted

Good Luck Sue - I am sure you will be well looked after. I also have my first T next week not far behind you!

Ali xx
Highlighted

Best of luck Sue, I heard it is less nauseous but more tired and joint pain.   Rest well xx

Highlighted

All the best Sue xx
Highlighted

All the very best Sue xx

Highlighted

Good luck Sue.xx
Highlighted

Good luck today too Sue! xx
Highlighted

Mammogram and USS today; so fingers crossed!!
Although now reading they're recommending more chemo if it's shrinking....hey ho more boob left at the end I suppose! 😊
Highlighted

Hi March ladies, I am off for my 1st T today, got a 9-15 appointment. So not looking forward to it. I will let you know how it goes. 

Xx X 

sue

Highlighted

Hi
My oncologist said if it's shrinking its best to have 8 than 6 so that's my treatment plan! It's taken me longer to get over my 3rd FEC and this time it's affected my tastebuds!! I'm not complaining though as compared to most on here I'm getting away with it lightly! I'm with u Jembossable they say T is worse and I'm dreading it but only time will tell! I have a really heavy chest like I've got a moth ball stuck lol anyone else experiencing this? Xx take care all Colista xx
Highlighted

hi folks, I had my second FEC last week and it was fine at the time, although I have been a bit more nauseas this time than the 1st time. my hair is all gone, bar a couple of tufts at the back. I didn't realise how cold my head would feel, especially through the night.( I'm in Scotland and is still freezing here through night) . I've now got a nightcap which gives the family a good laugh....they say i, m like dopey from 7 dwarfs! been wearing my wig out which takes a bit of getting used to....but so far nobody's stared. Has anyone lost their eyebrows?? My seem ok so far.

I am absolutely loaded with the cold which I just can't shake off. Hoping it doesn't delay any treatment, I'm desperate to get this all over and done with.

keep strong everyone, your all doing brilliantly

colette xxx

Highlighted

Hi Tonya, will defo speak up at review on Friday and will ring my BCN. Xx

Highlighted

Rough to be honest. Had my anti sickness tablets changed today so hoping the nausea stops soon. Mouth is sore again, I'm lacking energy and retaining water by the looks of things. Just plodding on hoping that when I start my T's on the 4th I'm not too bad although I'm dreading them as everyone tells me they're worse but time will tell. The countdown has begun, the end is in sight.xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks Jem how r u after urs? Xxx
Highlighted

Good luck Emma. X☺
Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm the same with the make up! Red lippy!!!! 3rd Fec tomo was hoping that would be the last, then onto T but my oncologist says if it's shrinking I may have 2 extra... Will find out on 10th may xxx good luck everyone and keep smiling we are all awesome!! 💗👏
Highlighted

Hi Jomo, I'm completely with you on it all!! Every now and then when I'm feeling cold for a split second I want to pull my hair down over my ears, then remember! And I've never taken so long over my makeup! I'm going to be having herceptin too, don't know much about it/side affects yet?
Hi Mary, I'm having FEC-T which is 6; one every 3 weeks, so have awhile to recover each time before the next one! Have you already had surgery? I gave up on the cold cap, so well done you for sticking at it!
Highlighted

hi all,have not posted for a while, had 2nd fec, not been to bad, nausea worse s/e for me, but my farts!!!! they are toxic, so bad s/e for everyone else, been told i need herceptin, told this a wonder drug, so anything extra that will help, bring it on, not liking hair loss, but hey oh, i find it weird when you open a door, the rush of air you feel round your head, also make up, how strange putting foundation on, with no hair line, got third fec tuesday, i find i cant eat for a week, everything smells, i feel really well this week, hope everyone getting on ok

Highlighted

Hi All,

Hope you are doing OK.  

Is there anyone having weekly Taxol? (like me!).  I've now done 6 out of 12 cycles, and just want it to end. It seems I'm not "recovering" now as I did for the first couple, and tiredness just hits me over the head with a hammer and I end up on the sofa for most of the afternoon & evening. Even opening a can of tomato soup is a real effort.  Other side effects are minor in the scheme of things, but starting to aggravate me. The plus I hang on to is... I still have my hair!  A bit finer, a bit thinner but still there, with new stuff starting to grow. For e, the cold capping is worth it.  Can't wait for the end, when next steps will be "radiotherapy with boost" (whatever that is).

Take care of yourselves, love to all, Mary xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

So detol and germolene are on my shopping list... 😂How things change!! Hope we are all doing ok. Good luck for tomo Daisy xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies I will be having my boob lump checked after my 4th chemo I have got 2 weeks to wait for this. 

Just hoping it's got smaller. I had to ring my BC naurse and ask her when I was going to be checked. After the phone call I got my letter with 3 dates, one for a mammogram one to see the surgeon and one to see the chemo doc.

i might as well move me bed to the hospital lol lol 

x X X 

Highlighted

My understanding Susie is that we have the scan to make sure the chemo they're giving us is doing the job, or if they need to tweak it. As we still have our 'lump' they need to be doing this; it's the whole point? It was actually the breast clinic that arranged mine, i didn't have a date and the oncologist asked me to chase it up with my nurse. Do you have a nurse at hospital who you would have met right at the beginning? She's your point of contact for anything like this? xx
Highlighted

Hi Tonya, I've not had any scans since just before 1st chemo. I have my review on Friday (3rd session due Tuesday) so will mention it then. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Daisy
I've had both, although only 'fast and regular' for one day, so can appreciate how sore you must be; one day was enough! Try the detol in your bath! 😉 Have they not given you anything for it? I just took one Imodium tablet and that did the job thankfully.
Good luck with your T tomorrow, you can let us all know what to look forward to! 😉 x
Highlighted

My hubby uses dettol all the time, I used it after giving birth and I have to say it was an instant soother and helped things heal up quickly 😊 Ali you're right we should be on the prunes! I ate them every morning in hospital after giving birth!
Susie I was just like you after I was diagnosed but just before my treatment started and because the cysts were now gone I did have a feel just to see what was left, and it was still very obviously there! I've still been a bit funny about it until I've started reading about people's shrinking and it's amazing! I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Are you not having a scan during your treatment?
Emmajane, I'm with you at the moment (1 1/2 weeks after treatment 😉) the sun is shining, I'm off shopping with my mum today and going to Weymouth for the weekend with family and friends! 😊
Highlighted

Hi ladies Feb starter here, I wish I got constipated it's the opposite I must go loads a day, sore bum I use baby nappy cream. I have never been constipated. 

I will be having my T tomorrow don't know what se I will get. 

Hopefully none. 

Sue

x x X 

Highlighted

Hello All,

'Lactulose' is excellent at softening poop you can buy it over the counter as well as getting it on prescription and it is a benign supplement. I take a half dose every day as my last round of chemo had me so bunged up I almost thought I'd have to go to A&E!! I thought I would expell my entire bowel when I finally managed OUCH 💩💩💩💩 and yes I am still sore too. 😳

Of course any natural stuff is a no brainer, so dried prunes, apricots, beans anything which might work is a bonus.

Ali xx

Just a little note- have found a couple of glasses of purple grape juice (the one in the fridge) really helping "loosen" things up.  Hope everyone manages ok today, hugs to all. glad the sun is shining down here xxx

Highlighted

Emma Jane,  can recommend germolene haemarroid  cream for sore bums 😶, it's got local  anaesthetic it and you don't need much.

Highlighted

Hi Tonya, I admire you that you can still self examine. I can't bear to look at my boobs and when I'm showering 

i barely touch them! I'm having my 3rd FEC on Tuesday and haven't been examined since just before 1st chemo so no idea of any changes or if it's shrinking (fingers crossed it has).

glad to read it's not just me with wind - I was blaming the smoothies my hubby makes!

love to all xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Tonya I will try the detol and I have to say the sudacrem seems to be helping...!! Well if u think u use it for a baby's sore bum... Yes I feel the same... Number 3 on Thursday. It's flying by. A good friend of mine had BC 3 years ago... She said once you start the chemo it does go by quickly. She also said it was the hardest part, surgery and radio to use her words were a breeze in comparison... And the BC had opened my eyes... Tbh I've forgotten how to worry. I seem to take everything in my stride these days. I also totally appreciate the little things in life... Xxx
Highlighted

Emmajane try some detol in your bath; will really help with the soreness! Or if you don't fancy a whole bath in it just but a bit of water in the bottom; enough to cover your sore bits! 😉
My oncologist is retiring so I saw a new one after my first chemo and she didn't examine me. Although to be honest I didn't even think about them doing that, but feeling it myself it's really gone down, if I didn't know it was there, I wouldn't know now I had anything there! Looking forward to my scan Thursday to find out what it really has shrunk to....
Glad you're happy with your hair Primrose, I did the same after my second treatment. I braved it and went into work today and everyone was brilliant saying how good I looked and how my hair suited me! Lol! Mind you I did spend a long time on my makeup! 😂
And yes ladies I have wind! Lots of wind!! Ha ha!!
Keep smiling ladies, it'll all be over before we know it, I can't believe I've no.3 next week; it's flying by! (I won't be anywhere near as up beat as this next weekend...😉) xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

The two times I've seen him primrose he hasn't examined me, the other two times it was a lady and they did. He said he'd examine me after the next one and then decide if I need another Fec or its onto the t. That day I have my consultant too. Xx
Highlighted

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Highlighted

Thanks Emmajane. Perhaps you should ask him to take a look next time. Every time I have seen the lady oncologist she has asked me if I minded her examining me. I am always delighted but it got me thinking that perhaps some patients are not too keen and so they are a bit hesitant unless there is good reason. The male oncologist I saw Initially has never examined me.

Regarding the wind, I'll just say I'm pleased I have a dog. lol

Highlighted
Community Champion

My oncologist says if the lump is shrinking well then I have to have an extra Fec and extra T that will be 8 not 6... 😆But I think best to have the extra and rid myself completely of this...?? Had in my head it would be 6 Altho at the beginning they said 6-8. The wind is bad... The sore bum hell... But if it's working I don't care!! I'm on strong laxative, to soften poop and have read sudacrem helps, also coconut oil. I'm drinking loads too and eating lots of fibre. Today I had one of those moments when I think they must have got this wrong. Today has been lovely, playing on the garden with my little girl. Makes you enjoy the little things and value friends and family like never before! Xxx
Highlighted

I'm with you there Warcol 😂 xx
Highlighted

Hi Ladies
Following 3rd FEC last week it has hit me like a ton of bricks! I've had no energy, fart's are comparable to a huge thunderstorm and my joints ache all over! My mouth has a permanent film on it and nothing tastes of anything! Tonight's dinner consisted of potatoe beans corn beef and brown sauce which will not help the wind!! I'm hoping 2moro will be a better day but as long as this chemo is killing it I'll suffer all day long! Keep smiling and wherever u may be let your wind roam free 💨💨💨💨 xxx
Highlighted

Emma this last fec has hit me like a brick wall. The wind is gale force and my gums are back to being sore and my mouth makes everything taste strange. Wind and laughter still continue to be my worst side effects... 🙄xx
Highlighted

Hi Emmajane I farted for England with my chemo 😝

Highlighted
Community Champion

I wish he'd examined me I think the lump feels smaller and softer he asked me if it felt different!!!!! Ah well... Has anyone else got bad wind? Must say the worst side effect for me is that and the sure bum when going to the toilet... 😁Let's hope it improves... Great news Primrose and well done with the clippers!! I did same just before my second and felt great as a result of like u say, taking control! Xxx
Highlighted

Had my appointment with the oncologist this morning. She was mainly interested in side effects and is going to give me different meds for after the second chemo session so fingers crossed that they will help. She examined my breast again and said the lumps seem smaller and softer than before the first chemo. I think all the side effects were worth it If the chemo is doing its job! 

It looks like I need a third biopsy to determine if I am HER2+ or not. It seems that when they classify it as borderline they don't really know. I may be mistaken but this is the impression I came away with.

Let hubby loose with the hair clippers last night and feel better about taking charge of the hair loss. Feeling much more positive that this is doable. 

Tonya, I have heard them referred to as coils and markers. They could also be known as pins. I think they insert them so they can find them easily when the lumps shrink. It sounds as if they still expect me to need a full mastectomy though.

Emmajane, hope all goes well on Thursday. Will be thinking of you while I have my second.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Tonya thanks so much! I mentioned the issue to the oncologist and I got some stronger laxative... Fingers crossed it helps!! I'm not constipated now but I think when I was it did the damage 😱Ladies we are all doing brilliantly!! We certainly get the courage we need from each other... I have my third Fec on Thursday, the oncologist today didn't measure my lump, have to say I was a bit disappointed... His registra did the two previous times, I was in and out in 20 mins!! Much prefer the ladies as they seem more understanding and thorough... Good luck to all those ladies gaming chemo this week and hugs to those recovering... Your good weeks are just dats away!! 💗👏
Highlighted

Oh Primrose you sound like you've had a right time of it! Poor you 😢 Definitely tell your oncologist everything, You do seem to be having a worse time of it than most and you really shouldn't be sick either, you should have called either your chemo unit (I have a 24hr line to call) or your GP. I have had to take both laxatives and Imodium! 😕 😂
I haven't had any coil put in? I did hear someone at my last treatment saying they had some sort of pin put in?
I have grade 3 T2 NO MO, ER and PR positive, HER2 3+ (4 x 2cm lump) so praying for it to be smaller Thursday! I'm having the same treatment as you but the other way round, maybe that's why your side affects are worse? x
Highlighted

Thank you for your kind replies. 

Tonya, my fingers are crossed for you. Did they put coils in? I had two coils inserted into my right breast as I have two tumours there and one in the left breast as they saw something "suspect" and want to keep an eye on it. 

The main side effects were terrible pain in my feet, lower legs and back and very sensitive skin. I felt as if the skin on the soles of my feet was being burnt off. My nails also throbbed but they look ok. I have painted them a dark black cherry and I am hoping this helps. I also developed a thrush patch on the skin at the top of my hip. Also had confusion, indigestion and vomitting, diarrhoea, and developed a permanent dripping nose with nosebleeds and felt generally very tired and weak but not too surprising as I haven't been able to sleep very well. I am just feeling good in time for next chemo on Thursday. :cathappy:

Aileen, good to hear your doctor is sympathetic and the PICC line is a big help.

Suzie, I am a bit squeamish and feel funny when I think about the PICC but it sounds as if the process is not too bad. Pleased to hear your se were manageable. I am hoping that now that I know what to expect I will be able to get on top of them.

Highlighted

Hi Primrose, I've been diagnosed grade 3 HER2 positive. I've had 2 X FEC my 3rd is next Tuesday. Then 3 X FEC-T - so nearly halfway there. Hopefully it will shrink and zap any others before surgery.  I've a PICC line and I truly never felt a thing when it was been put in and was surprised when I was told I could get up!

i have found the s/e manageable (just) and so far have been lucky with  only suffering nausea, tiredness and generally feeling washed out. 

I have found this site invaluable with everyone's positivity, helpful tips on how to stay on top of this and not let it beat us!!!

love and hugs xx

Highlighted

Hi Primrose,

Sounds like you are doing your chemo the other way round to me. I have just had my third fec and start my first of 3 doxytaxel in a few weeks. Hope the oncologist can help with some of the side effects, although you might also want to try your doctor. My doctor has been lovely and more syathetic than my oncologist - whenever i have an issue i just call up the surgery and she is happy to call me back so i don't have to go into the waiting room for an appointment. She then leaves a prescription for different antisickness or whatever i need at reception or the pharmacy. Do let us know what works for your side effects as it is so useful to know what works well for others.

Re the picc line, i have one and have found it great -so much better than canulas which i hate and can give your veins real issues. The process to put it in was fine. I had a local anesthetic on my arm so didn't feel a thing. It felt a bit strange under my arm for a few days but don't notice it now at all. Having a shower is a bit of a pain but hopefully they will give you a waterproof cover for it so not too awkward.

Take care,

Aileen

Highlighted

Hi Emmajane. I've had a few times where going to the toilet is like giving birth! It's perfectly normal but get yourself some anti-constipation tablets, I did and everything went back to normal. Well for a few days anyway until I had a day where I was going constantly, so has to take an anti-diarrhoea tablet! It's great isn't it!! 🙄😂
Highlighted

Hi Primrose. I'm 42 and was diagnosed also in February and started FEC-T in March, I had my second treatment Friday before last. I've done pretty well I think as far as side affects go, very headachy the first time but no sickness at all but was pretty much ok after about 3 days. They changed my sickness tablets this time; no headaches but felt more sicky! I did cold cap the first time so I'm not sure how much that tributed to the headaches, but I've given up on that now. I'm going to discuss it with my oncologist. I felt ill/tired for longer this time as well but that's to be expected as we go through the treatment.
I have my scan Thursday to see how things are shrinking; so fingers crossed!
What sort of side affects are you getting? x