342739posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Highlighted

Re: March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Emma you're the same as me, I get terrible indigestion and my arm is hurting again plus my veins they use for chemo have all tissued so are very painful. Dreading next week. 🙈🙈xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I think fish oil is good and heard good things about turmeric... I'm not taking anything until after the chemo tho now... Some research says that some supplements interfere with chemo. Just eating and drinking well. Got the dreaded indigestion!! Also bit of arm soreness but I think that's normal with the veins and the infusion. If it's not one thing lol!!!! 😱Hope all ok and sleep well xxx
Highlighted

3rd FEC done and dusted! Next session will be FEC-T with Herceptin starting 5th session. Feeling good at the mo just tired.  Hubby cooked a lovely dinner - I don't feel sick and tasted every mouthful .... Result !

Finding this supplements business a bit of a nightmare. I know I've a little way to go, but when this is all over what do you to help protect yourself against it recurring. I've always eaten healthy and drank in moderation...any suggestions?

love and hugs to everyone xx

Highlighted

Hi ladies, just popping in from January thread. I just wanted to offer you all encouragement as you're all doing so well. I luckily had my last chemo yesterday and picc line out, which is such a good feeling. Just a few more appointments and you'll be out the other side of it. Sissy xx
Highlighted

Chemo is definitely the worst bit!!! Without a doubt. X
Highlighted

Same here sick of feelin ill all the time x x x
Highlighted
Community Champion

2 more is great! I'm facing 3 or 5... 😱So tired today but with a four year old can't rest!! Roll on bed time!!! Think the chemo must be the worst part of this journey... Charlotte in nursery weds-fri so finally get a break! Parents here but going tomo. Can't wait for a bit of normality... Xx
Highlighted

Hi Emma i am going to have a heart check to got the letter yesterday, i asked my breast care nurse about it she said we have one every three months. I was a bir worried but after talking to her its just a matter of routine. I am still feeling rotten after the T bones hurt sore throte bad taste in my mouth everyting tastes like metal. I got to more to go roll on june x x x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Ah I c Ali! I'm laying off supplements now whilst on chemo after stressing myself out yest!! I'm trying to eat fresh veg n fruit n drink natural juices to get what I need. I feel better for it... So much inconclusive research on whether it's good or not to take them! I figure the chemo doing its job and as long as I rest when I need to and eat as healthy as I can I will give my body the best chance. How r we today ladies? My parents go home tomo so it's over to me. As a single mum I'm so lucky they can drop everything and support me the week of my chemo. Charlotte in nursery tomo and her daddy has her tomo overnite so I can chill. Made nice plans for my good days and looking forward to them! Got the heart scan tomo for herceptin. Bit nervous but I will be fine! Anyone else had it? One thing my cancer has taught me is that I have a strength I never knew!!!!! We can do this. I always take comfort in the fact that I'm never alone. Thanks for that xxxxx ❤️👭
Highlighted

Hello Ladies,

Vit D is important for many things in the body not just bones. Living in the UK we don't get enough of it from the sun especially during the winter. I had a blood test about a year ago and found that I was indeed very low on vit D so docs advised I take a supplement. And I still do!

Ali xx
Highlighted

You get vitimin D from the sun x
Highlighted
Community Champion

I stopped the evening primrose too before chemo xxx what is vit D for?
Highlighted

Yes Emmajane - all except Vitamin D.

When I'm done with chemo I might start with some of the fatty acid/omega 3 supplements but only take them 2/3 times a week. As I am going to be on tamoxifen I don't want to screw up stuff it might be doing.

It's a pain because you don't want to take anything which might play around with your hormones so things like primrose evening oil etc (which women often take for period or menopausal symptoms) are probably not recommended. :-/ 

Ali xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ali have u stopped all supplements now?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Love the spelling of poop!!!!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes I'm doing same!!!!! I've today stopped them and eating a ton of fruit n juices instead!! Nuts too and oily fish xxxxx u haven't caused me stress I feel better for ding this! Was always worried bout the supplements and my oncologist was very non commital either way... Chatting to a lady on here she's doing same! I have put on 6 lbs so limiting sugar and sticking to healthy grazing. That way giving my body best possible shot... Xxxxxx
Highlighted

**bleepy** **bleepy** nanny state!!!! 5H1T 5H1T 5H1T :cathappy:

LOL
Highlighted

Oh Emmajane,

Sorry to cause you stress - I know how you feel, you just want to do the best you can and eat well and take the supplements - I did too!! And just like you there was so much conflicting and scary **bleep** on the internet I gave them up (all except vit D which I was already low on) and stick to eating as much fresh fruit/veg etc and also plenty of variety. It's a minefield out there and mental to boot!

Ali xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ali read the research and my friend just phoned BCN she said next to stop whilst there is conflicting evidence, but the small amount taken will have not had any effect anyway... Will stick to just eating as healthy as I can and avoiding the munshies! Xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

I've read that research now I'm stressing! Think I may wait until next oncology and check again... Thanks for your concern... This is so confusing! You want to do what's best to give you the best possible shot! Xxxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I guess it's up to the individual and we all do what we think is best. It was just a suggestion I would always recommend getting checked out first for sure. Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

A good friend had it recommended and checked it out with her oncologist I asked mine they said there's no solid evidence supplements help but they can't do harm... Thanks tho! Xx my friends tumour disappeared completely with the chemo and turmeric!
Highlighted

Hi Emmajane,

I read somewhere that tumeric/curcumin supplements can interfere with chemo, I know it could be just internet junk but best get it confirmed before you continue. I know you're just doing the best you can to keep well and healthy. I'm trying the same!!

Ali xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I've been good today eaten fruit and healthy nuts when peckish xxx started drinking green tea with lemon n a dash of honey in and turmeric capsules... Heard good things about both in preventing cancer returning! Worth a shot eh?? I was a bit fed up earlier so ambled out a walk it helped. Got my girlie back at 5 n that perked me up!! Mum n dad here helping until weds... Accepted I need help and rest whilst they r here so I'm fit for my good days and social life!!!! 👏❤️
Highlighted

I was told the same. I'm huge. Steroids don't like me xx
Highlighted

Emmajane I've put a stone on! I have always enjoyed food but even I have surpassed myself! Nurses tell me it's better to put weight on than lose and once chemo is finished it will fall off or at least that's what I'm hoping! I'm just sick of my clothes not fitting x
Highlighted

Good morning ladies,

Emmajane defo going to do injections in the evening I like the idea of sleeping thru these s/e!

Daisy63 all the very best for the next week. It's brilliant news to hear hair should start to return - don't think I'll bother with another wig now. 

Good luck to all the charity runners in today's marathon. Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Has anyone else gained weight?? I've put on 5 lbs seem to loose a couple after the steroids finish xxx thought I'd loose weight on chemo and have no appetite!!!!! Hope we are all ok today ladies. The sun is shining xxxx
Highlighted

Hi susie will let you know how I am feeling in a few days. The nurse did say my hair should starte to come back now. X X X
Highlighted
Community Champion

I'd kill for the runs! Might get rid of this awful wind 🙈I get an examination at next oncology and also got surgeon that day 2! The 2 lady registrars both examined me the previous times, but he didn't. Heard lots of benefits doing injection at night Susie as u sleep through the symptoms!! I'm going to give it a go... Day 3 as had chemo Thursday. Managed a 1.5 mile walk today but now watching to under a blanket! My little girls at her dads until tomo so making the most of the rest time... Hugs to all xxxxx
Highlighted

So far, tired. Have a bit of pain in my left wrist. Nothing more. It's the injections of the b12 and steroids that do me. Have not felt sick at all. But got the runs. 

Sue x X X 

Highlighted

Hi Daisy, how was it? Do you feel much different from when it was just FEC? What are the s/e?  Xx

Highlighted

Hi Loolyboo, yeah you're right I'm her2+. I'm so grateful for your positive comments , thank you.

not sure what s/e to expect with T and Herceptin but that's a few weeks away and I worry about nearer the time🙂  Xx

Highlighted

Hi ladies i stated my T this thursday amd i was given the i jection your talking about. I have to have it for a year every 3 weeks. X x
Sue feb starter x
Highlighted

Hi Susie, that's great news! If I remember rightly, yours is her2+ .. wait until the herceptin kicks in with T part - there's every chance it will wipe it out completely 😃 xxx
Highlighted

Emmajane, initially I saw a registrar who didn't examine me, but I spoke to my BCN because I didn't know if the chemo was having any effect and ladies on here were having scans or exams to measure any improvement. Luckily the consultant was there so he did it - I so wanted to hug him when he told me. No mention was made about maybe extending it from 6 to 8. Although when I have the 4th cycle with FEC T they will start Herceptin - I'll have to find out more coz I thought you got that at the end of chemo.

Does having the blood count injections in the evening help with the s/e - I get awful tummy ache those days. Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Susie that's amazing!! My oncologist didn't examine me... 😆Just had 3rd Fec on Thursday. I've heard that doing the injections at night is better! Going to give that a try... I have a review on 10th may got surgeon first then onto another Hosp for oncology... If it's shrink a lot they will give me 8 not 6... Not sure how I feel about that... Xx
Highlighted

Review today prior to 3rd FEC on Tuesday. Tumour shrunk from 7.5 to 4.5 yay!! 

Off to the cinema and dinner to celebrate. Won't be eating next week so making the most of it,

come on ladies we can do this! Xx 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hehe u can't beat a bit of toilet humour!!!!!! Glad it makes u laugh...! I pooped after chemo, after the first toe curling stool the rest flowed nicely!! Good old sudacrem!! Xxxxxx
Highlighted

Hiya everyone my last FEC is 5 May and then I move onto T! Hit hard this time but finally I'm feeling better and going into my good weeks! Sorry to hear of your bottom probs Emma but if it makes u laugh it's sent me the other way I can't stop pooping and as for the wind I think I've killed everyone in the household with my deadly pumps!! I agree thou we are all awesome and kicking this cancer in the butt!!! Xxx
Highlighted

We sure can my lovely ☺xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm looking forward to T! Altho have a feeling I have another Fec first... Xx Absiluteky stay positive we can do this!! 👏👌🏽
Highlighted

Yes I've had my 3rd FEC. T is the next stop. Absolutely dreading it but after reading kim555pink's comment I'm hoping it's not as bad as I imagine. Fingers crossed. Onwards and upwards ladies. 👊💪😘
Highlighted
Community Champion

My arm pain is more like an ache from the elbow up on the inside! I thought I had a clot lol... 🙄It's amazing how the nurses can differ... I hope I get her next time!!!! Yes get the meds u need. How many have u had? Are u on 3 like me? We r the most awesome women ever!!!!!!! Love to all the ladies on here kicking ass and surviving!!!! 💪🏼👌🏽👏
Highlighted

Emma I didn't realise you had arm pain too. I was told mine was due to the Epirubicin. Because it's so aggressive it apparently aggravates the inside of my vein. Not helped by the fact I get an extra syringe of the stuff. I haven't been too bad this time cos I got an extra bag of flush too. Apparently my T is premixed in the same bag so this shouldn't be a problem in future. I hope not anyway. Glad your bottom problem is getting resolved. I've been pretty lucky in that respect. Minimal bunged up-ness. Still no taste but hey, I can deal with that for another week. Face is breaking out in lumps again so I'm on to the docs for antibiotics tomorrow hoping I can catch it in time. Hope everyone else is dealing with things well. I don't care what anyone says, we are all pretty awesome!😉😊👍x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Kim thanks that's really positive and good advice xxx 👏
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies!! 3rd Fec ticked off!! 👌🏽💪🏼Warcol they have said same to me about more if it's working!! Would rather have 6 but what's another 2?? The chemo nurse today was fab... Administered it slower and added another bag of fluids. She said my arm pain us because it was given too quickly, she also said do the injections in evening... Between 5-7 pm going to try that. I'm happy to report my butt is improving and the sudacrem is really helping. Still sore and hurts when poop but a million times better!!!!! 👏😅I've also heard T isn't as bad as Fec the nurse said less side effects and u get over it quicker!!!!! Let's all remember this toxic drug is killing our cancer so it has to be nasty... The side effects show it's working!! We can do this... 💪🏼👊🏽👌🏽
Highlighted
Community Champion

Well done Sue getting your first T under your belt :cathappy: I'm day 10 of my second one and both followed a similar pattern. I didn't have any side effects until day 3 when I started my immune boosting injections. Then the aches and pains started, but I was able to manage on just paracetamol. My temperature was higher than usual but never above 37.4. The day the injections had finished, the pains were better although I continued to be more tired than usual up until the last few days before the next treatment. I was so much better dealing with it the second time round because I didn't worry about the symptoms.
Hope you get through it ok!
Xxx
Highlighted

Hi warcol  you can take to of them tablets I found one was not working so now take 2. 

Had my first T today I asked a lot of questions, not feeling to bad at the moment. One good thing I was told that my hair will come back now lol lol . Plus I only have 2 more to go then having 3 weekly injections of hepticillin. I think that what it called have to have them for a year. Will let you girls know if I get any se from the T.

take care

sue X X X 

Highlighted

Hi Ali and Lynniepins I'm steady taking omerprazole but not doing the trick! Will ask to swop to something different as its driving me insane lol xx thank you Colista xx