342739posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Highlighted

Re: March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

I had my first cycle of Docetaxel (T) this morning (Wednesday 4th May).

I started taking steroids yesterday (day 1), today (day 2) and was to stop after tomorrow (day three) - four tablets twice a day for three days. For some reason I have been given a second lot of these tablets to take after day three. This may have something to do with the fact that the hospital did not contact me last week to tell me that my neutrophils had dropped to 0.39 and that I should have taken antibiotics for five days (as I had done previously after my first two cycles of FEC). I had indeed been feeling quite poorly but, as my temperature had not risen, I rallied on. I have been sent home with tablets for anti-sickness, heartburn,  antibiotics, mouthwash  and oral suspension.

I have the District Nurse coming out tomorrow to give me my first ever injection of Neulasta.

PS This morning my face was like a beacon - steroids.
District Nurse out this afternoon to give Neulasta Injection - absolutely fine. 

Highlighted

First T done today and the heels of my feet are killing me already. Can't wait for the pains in my thighs, arms and back. 😩x
Highlighted

I'm taking 4 x Dexamethasone twice daily the day before, the day of chemo and the day after as well as a steroid injection. I'd definitely ask why you aren't getting any. X
Highlighted

Hi Lynniepins
I had my 3rd & final FEC yesterday & luckily not feeling too bad today, hope your sickness does one asap!
Speaking of Ab Fab, my champagne will also be on ice pending the last T! 🍾 I was surprised to find out Jennifer Saunders had breast cancer 6yrs ago - apparently she kept it private at the time but not a secret, inspirational 😊 xxx
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2445091/Jennifer-Saunders-account-battling-breast-cancer-hon...

Sucks donkey balls!πŸ˜‚ Thank you so much for that phrase Ali has brightened up my phooey week.  Had to go to hospital Sun night with temp but ok now after fluids and antibiotics so had third and final FEC today, hallelujah, but not sure why this one was worst and threw up twice while I was having it.  Now at home having presumably also thrown up all the anti sickness meds with it so having a pity party in bed.  I know it will get better but darn it that really spoiled my day!  Well done everyone most of us must now be at the halfway point xxxxxxxxhugs to you all, you are doing fabulous and when we get through this we crack open the bolly - um sorry just seen the Ab Fab movie trailer and am super excited as the T V prog was part of my life when I was young and carefree happy days xxx

Highlighted

Hi Daffodil,

I need to take steroids the day before chemo, the morning of chemo and then the day after chemo (although now I take a longer reduced dose afterwards due to the skin side effects I had). Phone the nurses at your chemo lounge asap and ask them. If you need them they should be able to sort things out for you.

Highlighted

Thank you. Hoping I'm we prepared for this x
Highlighted

Thank you for all the advice - its so helpful. 

Have you all been given steroids to take before your T. I didn't have that with FEC and it hasn't been mentioned to me for T either. I am seeing the oncologist on Thursday so will check then (though will be a bit late by then if I was supposd to take them before Friday).

Aileen x

Highlighted

Hi Daffodil!

I have only had 2 sessions of Docetaxel (T) and no FEC yet so I can't compare. However, with T I found the first few days were fine until I started with the WBC boosting injections. Then the joint pains started. Make sure you have painkillers in case you need them.

I also have had several skin problems. The skin on my feet and hands suffered so I keep rubbing aloe vera body lotion into my heels to stop them cracking and at night apply a liberal amount of hand cream to my hands and then cover them with silk gloves. The next day I apply hand cream now and again. This has made them less sore.

I have painted my finger nails a dark colour so I am hoping they do not detach even though they ache. 

After the first session I had permanent indigestion/heartburn and vomitted several times in the second week. The doctor gave me Omeprazole and some stronger sickness meds for the second week. This seems to be helping enormously.

Don't hesitate to seek help to manage the side effects. I didn't and really suffered after the first session of T but this time I am more prepared and I am finding it easier. In the third week I was feeling better and better each day and the side effects became just a hazy memory. Hopefully your side effects will not be too bad. {hugs}

You may find this helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

Highlighted

I'm just about to take my second lot of steroids... This is where it gets tropical πŸ˜‚ xx
Highlighted

Got my first T tomorrow also. Started my steroids today and I'm wired! Been very productive, house clean, shopping done, just off to do school run πŸƒ. Xx
Highlighted

First T tomorrow... Dreading it. Fec has been fine this time. Nothing major to report. Skin is getting lumpy again but I've got more antibiotics. Bring it on I say!!xx
Highlighted

Hi daffodil!

I am almost a week after my first T. It's tough but different from FEC. No nausea but my body aches so much more. For me, sleeping is rough because my body just feels every tiny lump and bump. I think the roughness really kicks in with the GCSF injections. You might also notice that your nails start to ache which is another T SE. Also you might get oral thrush which will affect your sense of taste. Although each SE is doable, the fact they are all coming together sucks donkey balls :-/ Get some painkillers in and make sure you keep up with the constipation medication as it will keep you regular. It's not easy, I think it's as bad as FEC just different but horrible nonetheless. Your body will lie to you as the SEs don't kick in for a while but don't be misled, the b45t4rds will kick in!!

Just get your head down plough through it as best you can.

Ali xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

I have my first T on friday and am a bit nervous. I will be painting my nails and have read up on the side effects but am still not really sure what to expect. If anyone has had it yet and can share what side effects they had I would be really grateful. Always so much better getting the information from someone who has just done it.

Thanks very much,

Aileen x

Highlighted

All done, half way there now ... Having a kfc now before the 'carpet mouth' kicks in 😝
Highlighted

Thanks Kim. Home pamper manicure and pedicure me thinks. X

Highlighted

Good luck for today Loolyboo, get it done and dusted and we're half way there!! Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Suzy, I painted my nails ready for my first dose of T. They seem to be holding up - bluish at the half moons and tender so I'm having trouble opening tins with the ring pulls!! But feel strong enough :cathappy: Having last one today (blood test permitting!!)
Xxx
Highlighted

Hi Susie
I'm off for my 3rd FEC just now then like you, I'm on to the T plus herceptin in 3wks time - we are half way through now 😊
Loolyboo x
Highlighted

One week on from chemo and finally beginning to feel I'm getting my life back again for a couple of weeks! Mouth and taste buds getting there. thank goodness didn't have another panic attack, although for a couple of days after felt 'strange'. I will mention it to my BCN. My next session is FEC-T am I suppose paint my nails before then or is that when Herceptain starts?

Highlighted

Vicks on my feet as slightly helped!! Whether it's psychological I don't know but I'll keep with it! Sun is shining again and so whilst on good weeks doing as much as I can which includes a 6 year old bday party and a much looking forward to Indian curry!! God help the wind that follows lol have a g8 bank holiday everyone xx Colista xx
Highlighted

Thanks guys, this so reassuring. I'll mention it on Wednesday and see what the experts say!!

Highlighted

Hi Kim I am Feb, the cough you have is due to the chemo I had it, it drove me nuts. It goes away after a while so don't wind your self up thing bad things. I don't know why this happens but I do think chemo interferes with the lungs. I just used have cough mixture.

take care

Sue X X X 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Collette, I had a bad, dry cough after FEC3 I think and really worried about them delaying my next chemo. But all was fine. As long as you dont have an infection they will go ahead. I think I've had constant coughs ever since. Looking forward to the time when I don't have to worry that every minor thing is going to lead to something more serious or going to delay treatment!!! I'm sure you are all the same!
Xxx
Highlighted

Thought it was to good to be true. I had third FEC on Tuesday and this time no real side effects just a little sickness and the feeling of my mouth having swallowed a carpet!! Until last night and it came from nowhere tears, palpatations, and I think a full blown panic attack flashing lights and feeling faint. Is that right never experienced anything like it before. Today still feel very weepy.  I really hate this first week! 

Highlighted

Colette you are deffo not alone and I do worry about lung secondaries and that's normal but as the girls have said SE of FEC and hopefully once that stops so does the runny noses and coughs! So for time being we'll do our best impression of Rudolph! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies... I have a sore throat at the same time each cycle! Amd blocked up but suspect that's hay fever starting or sinuses. At least my bum issues cleared up!!!!! Keep smiling! We are all getting thru so well xxxxx πŸ‘ŒπŸ½β€οΈ
Highlighted

Thank you, feel better now! I'm not alone. 

In the deep, dark recesses of my mind in the middle of the night, I'm plagued with thoughts of secondaries and lung issues. Even although I know it's not.....it still frightens me. So thank you again! Might sleep better tonight. And I'm going to fess up on Wednesday!

Highlighted

Hi Colette, i imagine the dry tickly cough and runny nose will be a side effect from the FEC. When you lose your head hair, you also lose the hairs inside your nose and throat lining. When I had FEC I suffered constantly with runny nose. However, since being on the T it has eased off! Xx
Highlighted

Colette I have a cough and it's driving me insane! I think as long as ur bloods r ok they'll go ahead. I have my chemo next week but I will tell oncologist just in case xx

Highlighted

ladies, does anyone have a cough? I have a very annoying dry, tickly cough, keeps me awake at night. Also a very runny nose. Neither are like a normal cold, not the miserable feeling, just constant running nose with cough. 

I'm torn between mentioning it to oncologist as due my 3rd FEC on Wednesday and don't want anything to delay it!

Colette xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

I swear by the aveeno moisturiser use all over! Including face. My skim is good u can get it girl some docs on prescription, mine won't! Worth it tho it's fab. Ppl always say I look early 30s not 40 I reckon it's the oatmeal in it. My skin glows. Jennifer Anniston uses it say no more!! Friday Friday and a long weekend, altho not working it's all a weekend!! Have fun ladies xxxxxx love to anyone struggling post chemo, your good days are coming! πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ‘ŒπŸ½β€οΈ
Highlighted

Hi again ladies, thanks for sharing your experiences. I have been using Simple shampoo and conditioner and just E45 moisturiser on my head, dont think I could wear anything under my wig. It seems to be really spotty one minute then just one or two the next. Oh well hopefully that wont last much longer, next week ill be half way there :-)

Highlighted

Hi
Hair has never been a problem for me and I would be quite happy to bald it everywhere but stupidly my head looks like a toilet brush!! Patchy and stubbly in places and looks ridiculous! I wash it like I would normally and I'm hoping once I start T is does grow a little so I can ditch the wig and head scarfs xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

My hair seems to be patching and growing... Just had 3rd FEC I gave bald head all time inside n wear hats and scarves when out. I quite like it tbh 😜Just find next to last injection and managed a 3 mile walk today n reorganised lounge. Tired now. I'm not sure if that was my last Fec... Could be another depending on what oncologist decides. Then onto T. XXXX we r nearly through this!! πŸ’ͺ🏼
Highlighted

Hi Amylou,
I was advised by a hairdresser to keep shampooing and conditioning my stubble/scalp even when my hair has almost gone. The thinking is it keeps the follicles nice and healthy - all ready for when the regrowth can start.
Worth a try!
Lizzy
Highlighted

Hi guys just a bit of advice regarding the spotty head problem.... I've been washing and conditioning my head just as I would do with hair and moisturising it as it was dry and sore. Feels smooth as a baby's bum now lol. I've also been using a bamboo cap under my wig which is suppose to help regulate temperature, it Defo makes it lest itchy. Xx
Highlighted

Hello All from the Feb thread,

Day 2 after first T (administered yesterday) and as already mentioned by others, no significant SE's *YET* I am under no illusions whatsoever that I won't be suffering soon. Pain meds will be started today to try and top up the body before it kicks in. Cropped my hair back further to about a grade 4 as the shedding from last (F)EC was doing my head in but hoping that now that part is over new hair will start to grow. Wow I have so much grey hair but annoyingly instead of being a dusting all over it's patchy like leopard splodges, dammit!

I have two left, just two and this side of hell will be over.

It feels good NOT to feel sick.

Ali xx

Highlighted

Hi Fionajj, I only one or two spots which develope after a couple of days of wearing my wig. I just used an antiseptic cream on them. I did put plasters over them when wearing the wig so that it didn't rub and make them worse.  Hope this is of some help. Xx

Highlighted

wow lucky you if your hair is growing back already, good luck with T xx

Highlighted

I'm very spotty and sore too. Hopefully that will stop now xx
Highlighted

I was the same but lost most of the bits I lay on before my third. Now I'm going for T next Wednesday and my hair is growing back. Don't know how but it is... You'll be fine xx
Highlighted

Hi all sorry not been on here in a while. Im day 17 after my 2nd FEC, i lost the majority of my hair just before 2nd FEC. I got it shaved to a no2 and still have a slight covering almost all over. Has anyone else had this or will i lose this after my 3rd FEC. I cant wait to start T and have my hair grow back. My head seems to be quite nspotty too, not sure if this is because of my wig. I sthere anything you lovely ladies could recommend to help the spots. Thank you and hope everyone is doing well with their treatments. xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Steroids... That's good tho keep ur strength up! I'm every 3 weeks so get 2 weeks to recover. It's amazing how we cope! Remember ladies this is short term and necessary!! A year from now we will be leading full and happy lives, stronger and braver than ever... Xxx
Highlighted

I am due to start weekly paclitaxel - hoping it's manageable?!
Highlighted

Had my second Docetaxel last Thursday. After the s/e of the first lot I was not looking forward to it. However, my Oncologist changed my meds and this time s/e have been much better. Feeling much more positive, sleeping much better and have a huge appetite (steroids?).

Highlighted

I have ac number 4 next week - so far I have a week where I feel pretty ropey and one session of slight sickness but it's been manageable but not something I like to repeat. I am more worried about the weekly ones now as at least in this I get a break! How are you doing?
Highlighted
Community Champion

Jennie welcome! We r all in this together!!!!! The support on this forum has gotten me through some very tough times. Remember on this journey u are never alone. XXXX how was the chemo?
Highlighted

Hi I started chemotherapy in March - good to see such support here x
Highlighted
Community Champion

We will be through the chemo soon!!!! Our veins will be normal again and we can get through this!! They keep an eye on us... Try not to worry... Git my heart scan tomo for herceptin! Another test!!!!!! A few months ago I was stressing about being a single mum, work, chores... I won't ever stress again!! Xxx