357673posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Highlighted

Re: March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

I'm due to have first cycle of T next week (bloods permitting). Anyone else about to go through the same? After reading all the comments of ladies who have already gone through it I'm already findingI the thought of next week a bit daunting.  

To all the ladies who are already coping with what appear to be horrendous S/E of T i hope you are now beginning to enter into the 'good' times.

well done to everyone I think we're all doing well and we're stronger that we think. Xx

Highlighted

Me neither x
Highlighted

I've not had sleep issues so far! Fingers crossed xxx
Highlighted

T is definitely the worst. Thanks Emma. Pain killers are keeping my aches and pains under wraps and I'm just getting used to the fact I can't taste anything. Imagine when my taste does come back... Gonna be like a party in my mouth 😂. Whoop whoop. Glad to hear yours hasn't spread. I just think the sooner we crack on with the T, the sooner it's over with xx
Highlighted

Hey ladies, hope we are all kicking serious arse, my sore throat has finally gone ( on my good week grrrr) .. Wondering if it was hay fever?? Who knows .. Emma good news on your mammogram. It hasn't spread .. And looks like we are starting T on same day... I rang chemo ward today to double check steroid dose and yep 4 tabs twice a day for 3 days, nurse was lovely and said I should organise some nightol or sth from gp to help me sleep,I know sleep ain't going to happen, didn't sleep on half the dose with fec..have to do midnight dusting or something!! : - )
The T thing sounds so much worse than the fec : - (
Hugs to all xx
Highlighted

Thanks love xxxxxx 👌🏽have u started T?
Highlighted

Jem that's awful hope ur feeling better now xxxxxx
Highlighted

I have to take 4 steroids twice a day for 3 days, starting the day before T. That sounds a lot of steroids. 😁I've just caught up and T sounds rubbish... And I thought it wasn't going to be as back as Fec!!!!! I think ppl react differently... Hope we r all feeling brighter today. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Emma good news that it's not spread or got bigger! T will anihilate it I'm sure! Also good news re heart scan! U have to be positive and the oncologist seems good! We will kick butt together xxx
Highlighted

Hey ladies!! Hope we have all been enjoying the weather. Had the hay fever too... Thought I was getting a cold! Had my two appointments today so popped c in nursery. So with me tomo... Appointment 1 at glenfield... Surgeon arranged mammogram... It hasn't shrunk much and there are more calcifications around the tumour. So she suggested moving into the next type of chemo. I felt a bit deflated... Appointment 2 at Royal. Oncologist was lovely... The 4th one I've seen! Only actually seen my consultant once... He said not to worry, it hasn't spread and the main job of the chemo is to stop that. Starting herceptin and T chemo Thursday, instead of another extra Fec, (was gonna have 3 Fec n 3 T) or 4 of each if it had shrunk a lot. He also said the T is more aggressive and might only need 2 of that! I will see my surgeon after 2 of the T and have another mammogram. She will then do the imaging for my surgery. I feel more positive now! Also my heart scan results were good. X
Highlighted

Definitely. Ring them now and tell them. I would just to be safe.xx
Highlighted

No I have not, I got chemo Thursday do you think I should tell the doctor? X
Highlighted

Yes I'm still breathless. I rang the ward today and they said if I get any worse then I need to ring them and go in for observations. Have you rang the ward??xx
Highlighted

What about now, I seem to be out of breath all the time. X X
Highlighted

Really badly. That's why I ended up in hospital on Friday. Apparently the 3rd day of steroids had over stimulated my immune system and made it really difficult for me to breathe. X
Highlighted

Hi it's a night mare. I am wondering if it's because we have some FEC left in us. Do you get out of breath?

Sue X X
Highlighted

You sound like me. All except the thrush. I'm not happy. I'm in bloody agony and I tolerated fec really well X😢😢
Highlighted

Hi I am on Feb forum, I am having my second T on Thursday. I don't know if this is going to help you, but I will list my side effects which I am going to talk to my doc about. 

Sickness, diorea, could not eat for 7 days as I could not swollow, nose and eyes watering, heart palpitations, breathless, no taste, bone pain, felt very Down, weak legs, skin sores, thrush in mouth and virgina. 

I phoned my chemo unit they where very sympathetic, they said it seems the dose is a bit to strong. So I am not looking forward to Thursday, after this one I have one left thank goodness.

Not everyone gets these side effects I think I am just unlucky.

sorry if this puts the wind up you but knowing about some of the side effects makes you worry less.

sue

x X X 

Highlighted

Hi daffodil I had it on Wednesday and was totally fine for first few days. It's my back and knees that hurt there's most. Fingers crossed for you that you don't get any aches and pains.
Jembossable I've been moisturising my hand like mad and using nail strengthener but getting really sore skin around nail beds. Xx
Highlighted

You may be lucky and escape the pain. My mouth is agony, every bone in my body aches, I even have earache, I sweat buckets from my head and I feel like someone has been picking my nails off during the night. Awful. Hopefully codeine will sort me out... X
Highlighted

Amy. So sorry you are suffering. When did you have your t? I had mine on friday and so far just have terrible indigestion, tingling tongue and red soles to my feet. I am getting really worried about when the pain is going to kick in. Aileen x

Highlighted

Jem thats sound terrible. It's really scary to have to go to hospital. Hope you feel better soon. xx

Highlighted

Sounds like T is just a crappy as FEC! I thought I was doing OK till yesterday then body aches started. My head feels like it belong s on someone else's body and keep going dizzy. Trying to stay positive and enjoy the sunshine but really feel **bleep**ty today. Sending hugs out to anyone in need xxx
Highlighted

Not good for me yesterday. Got blue lighted to north tees hospital because I was struggling to breathe and apparently when I've taken my steroids yesterday they have over stimulated my immune system which has sent my temperature all over and made it very hard to breathe. Awful. Had iv antibiotics, ecg, CT scan and bloods which are all good but my white blood count is thru the roof. It's good but not expected apparently. I'm tolerating better than most but feel like crap.Today my tongue is so sore and feels very swollen. What a crock... 😢 X
Highlighted

Hi Cassie,
Thanks for your reply, not sure what's going on.. My throat is really sore, been sticking to ice pops food wise and im thinking it could be another cold, had one towards end of first fec, as my eyes hurt and my nose is stuffy, or maybe even hay fever as was gardening yesterday for a few hours, but haven't suffered from it before..
Just annoying as its sposed to be my good week and I'm feeling cack. : - ( least the sun is shining : - ) xx
Highlighted

Sandi - I suffer from acid reflux (nothing to do with cancer treatment) and chocolate and onions are a no-no, as is cucumber. I don't know whether it is the same for medication induced problems but thought you should know just in case your remedy doesn't work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Highlighted

My indigestion was getting worse so I thought I'd try taking the Omaprazole again. Read the leaflet properly and was pleased to discover that I could open the capsule and just swallow the pellets from inside. Success. I am such a wuss! but am so happy I could take the proper medicine this morning so that the indigestion goes away.

In other good news I am really liking my purple finger nails. I have only ever painted my toenails before but I could really get used to bright finger nails.

Highlighted

Sorry to flood the thread with so many posts tongiht it kept telling me it couldn't post!!

Highlighted

Thank you to all those who replied re steriods. I did check with the oncology team as I was not given any steriods for the day before my chemo and apparently that is just the way my hospital do it. They just give a large dose of steriod in my picc line before my chemo on the actual chemo day. I still have the same steriods twice a day for 2 days after that everyone else has too.

Highlighted

Thank you to all those who replied re steriods. I did check with the oncology team as I was not given any steriods for the day before my chemo and apparently that is just the way my hospital do it. They just give a large dose of steriod in my picc line before my chemo on the actual chemo day. I still have the same steriods twice a day for 2 days after that everyone else has too. This is better for me as I am absolutely rubbish at taking tablets. I am desparately hoping that gaviscon is enough for the indigestion from T as I was prescribed Omaprazole but can't see myself being able to swallow the capsule - especially when I am feeling rough. 😞

Highlighted

Hi all,

Sorry to hear how much some of you are suffering from T SE's. I just had my first T today and have been ok so far but I know it will probably get worse. It was nice for me to not be sick this evening which i normally was just once every evening on the day I had fec.

Hayfever - I have also had really bad hayfever this year and effecting my eyes which I don't normlly get. I think it may be worse as I/we don't have the same amount of nasal hairs and eyelashes to keep the pollen out of our noses and eyes. As if we haven't got enough to deal with.

Hope you all have a great weekend - we are all doing brilliantly coping with all the **bleep** that this throws at us. Aileen xxx

Highlighted

Hi all,

Sorry to hear how much some of you are suffering from T SE's. I just had my first T today and have been ok so far but I know it will probably get worse. It was nice for me to not be sick this evening which i normally was just once every evening on the day I had fec.

Steriods - Thanks for sharing all the info about your steriods. I asked as I wasn't given steriods for the day before and apparently thats just how my hospital do it. Instead of steriods the day before they give me a massive dose through my picc line on the day just before the actual chemo and then I have to take 2 tablets at breakfast and lunchtime for 2 days after. Better for me anyway as I am absolutley rubbish at taking tablets. Am hoping that Gaviscon is going to be enough to combat any indigestion SE's from T as I was prescribed Omaprazole but won't be able to take it as the capsule is too big for me 😞 - especially if I am feeling rough anyway.

Hayfever - I have also had really bad hayfever this year and effecting my eyes which I don't normlly get. I think it may be worse as I/we don't have the same amount of nasal hairs and eyelashes to keep the pollen out of our noses and eyes. As if we haven't got enough to deal with.

Hope you all have a great weekend - we are all doing brilliantly coping with all the **bleep** that this throws at us. Aileen xxx

Highlighted

Achey boob even!
Highlighted

Emma, last period was a week late , thought I was going to get away with it, due on Thursday and have all the symptoms, achey boobs and being snappy as hell!! : - ) like we haven't got enough to contend with!! Sigh xx
Highlighted

I've never stopped. All carried on as normal. No reprive for me unfortunately xx
Highlighted

Sandi I get the shed throat and the indegestion during first few days. Can I ask about me menstrual cycles?? Had 2 on the Fec n was due just after 3rd and nothing...
Highlighted

Sounds awful xxxxx hope u feel brighter tomo...
Highlighted

Yes Emma, it the T. Feel very short of breath and like I'm losing pints of water from my head. It's just awful. Never felt so lethargic and out of sorts 😢😢xx
Highlighted

Hi ladies

confirmed as triple negative today which is a bummer but on a positive note 4th FEC ticked off and next to start T!! Another couple of good days and then will hibernate for 3!! Just my luck it's a heatwave lol! Enjoy the sun everyone 😎🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Highlighted

Jem is this the T chemo?? Not keen on for a few days ladies... Apologies. Been enjoying my good days! Lots of time with my girlie and walks and fab food! I'm suffering today with hay fever I've been told ok to use the one a day over the counter tabs... Anyone else suffering?? I live in the country and the rape seed plants kill me!!!! Hope we are all enjoying this glorious weather! Don't forget the sun team as chemo makes the skin more sensitive... Later lovely ladies xxxx 💗
Highlighted

Sore throat could be acid reflux I'm thinking.. Been eating loads of fruit instead of chocolate lately.. Will lay off fruit and stick to chocolate, see if that works ; - ) see ladies chocolate is good for you xxx
Highlighted

Right Ladies,

If any of you have nasty sore throats but no colds double check the sore throat isnt from any acid reflux. So to do this just make sure you continue with your fave indigestion remedy as if you are having a bad episode and see if the sore throat calms a bit. I have been on the omaprazole and gavescon since last night and my throat isn't as nasty as it was. I may have to sleep propped up to give it a good rest. Have also avoided any acidic fruits and their juices to give it a chance. Sometimes you can have acid reflux without realising it. Admittedly I was getting stomach ache after everything I ate which was a sigh I guess but I didn't get that heatburn or 'heaviness' with indigestion. Initially I was confusing the stomach tenderness with nausea but I think I've found it now. Give it a go if you think any of these symptoms sound similar.

Because I am still achy (although it is slowly improving) I am finding so hard to actually define my symptoms!!!

Ali xx

Highlighted

Well I've just had a massive episode after this afternoons injection and steroids. Massive shortness of breath, soaring temp and felt violently sick, struggled out of my hood, got man to cool my red hot bald head cos i was so limp I couldn't lift my arms, felt a bit better so checked my temp - 34.8. Gonna sleep and see if I improve. Total shock to the system. No likey xx 😢😢😭 No tears tho which is a bonus. 👍x
Highlighted

Hi ladies, havent posted on here for ages.. Hope you're all doing well and the side effects aren't too bad. I have my first T on Thursday next week and I am absolutely dreading it.. Nurses say your bones ache more , and mine have been terrible with the injections on Fec to start with.. My skin is so chapped ,I have reptilian like hands and feet ...and my throat feels like I've puffed 50 of dot cottons fags.. To top it off I'm actually due on my period Thursday too ( they haven't stopped) ..and as for the wind and haemorrhoids.. Humph...
Happy Days
.. Ali.. Loving the donkey balls dangley style!! X
Highlighted

Really sorry to hear people are having a hard time on T. I had a horrendous time but it does get better so hang on in there. Ask for help to manage the side effects. Don't be like me and just struggle on by yourself because it just prolongs things. I had permanent indigestion and acid reflux which was making me vomit. Omeprazole has helped enormously. They can also give you stronger anti-sickness tablets. For my lips I use AloeDent Aloe Vera lip balm which contains Lysine which helps to prevent cold sores (which I have never had but heard it could happen) and UVA/UVB protection from sun. Hoping the side effects pass quickly for everyone. Get plenty of rest and plenty to drink. {hugs}

Highlighted

Oh I am with you Jem, these days since T have been utter and complete 5H1TE I wonder if it's because we have some F/EC still in our systems?? I also look like a blimp, balding rosy cheeks from steroids, one boob down (ok it's recon-d) WTF??? I called the docs to ask for a bumper sized bottle of gaviscon and something for the oral thrush too. It's a f£&king joke if it wasn't actually happening!!!

The only saving grace is that my period hasn't come but that had been so off since chemo I have no idea if it will catch me out!!

We've so got to push on one day after another.

Super effing sucks huge dangly donkey balls!!!!!

Ali xx
Highlighted

I have horrendous chapped lips, I've stocked up on Rennies as I suffer acid reflux too and I'm feeling like I have no tears left to cry... Oh how wrong am I? Just the dog looking at me sets me off x
Highlighted

Hi Jem,

T turned me into a total tool. Today I feel a bit better but it turned out that I f£&ked up my guts thinking I was sick/nauseous but now I reckon I have bad acid reflux, I should've been taking my stomach pills but was only taking steroids and painkillers. So now I have a horrendous sore throat which I am pretty sure is from the reflux. My ribs still ache and sense of taste still sucks. So ladies keep up with your fave indigestion meds as well.

Oh and my skin around my lips has decided to flare up! So I am slathered with Vaseline too. I look like a slick sausage on a bbq eugh!!
Highlighted

Not tuna of the month thank God, more time of the month!! 😟🙈
Highlighted

Well after yesterday's first dose of T I've turned into an emotional wreck. Woke up this morning and the tears have started again. Temp is 34.7 and I too have a second lot of steroids as well as my injection to take at 11.30. Very confused and no idea what I'm doing so gonna ring the ward. Anyone else's T turn them into a clip like this or is it just me... Tuna. E of the month isn't helping either!! Hate it already.xx😢