cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: March 2016 chemotherapy starters?

That salty taste is foul it does at least pass tho... Watched the big c too and cried at end when the bone marrow lady died... How is everyone? Had T Thursday so on day 4... Only one left now. πŸ’ͺ🏼
Highlighted
Community Champion

Snap! Day 10 I felt normal again!!!! I had horrid mouth ulcers and oral thrush too... Didn't ache too much but felt very tired off and on. On day 4 now after my second T, only one more!!!!!! My taste did come back and I had a good few days before the next. It's doable knowing we are all nearly there!! Mouth is sore today so using the mouth wash and gelclair altho forgot to get more... Will nip to GP to restock tomoz. Love to all xxxxx πŸ’—
Highlighted

Hi fionajj, day 16 after first T. Still taste issues although improves daily. Here's hoping I get a couple of good taste days before next session (07/06). After aches eased (day 6) I was left with zero energy for about a week.
Good luck to everyone
Love to all xx
Highlighted

Hi all - is anyone on weekly paclitaxel - how is it?
Highlighted

Ah I have an injection called Lonquinex or something like that, I get it day after treatment and does the same thing. I feel for you ladies with young children going through such a rubbish time. Praying you and I feel better soon πŸ’•πŸ’•

Highlighted

Hi fionajj
Filgrastim is an injection to help strengthen your immune system, it boosts your white bloods cell to help prevent neutropenia during chemo - in doing so, it makes your bones ache (my legs in particular) whilst it is producing extra cells but eases after last injection. I have 7 starting on day3 following chemo.
Hels, I'm with you dreading a further 2 T's but look how far we've come, we're all doing amazing! πŸ˜ƒ
My son turned 2 in Feb, hope he has a great day πŸŽ‰ xxx
Highlighted

I didn't start to come around after my first T (and Herceptine) until day 10 really. T has been awful! Ugh! The thought of having to do it again twice is scary buuuut, no other way. One step in front of the other...
Now two weeks since T and feel mainly normal with just a few niggles - perfect timing as its my son's 3rd birthday this weekend! X
Highlighted

Aw Loolyboo the mouth is horrible. What's the injection, I don't get that? I pretty much had an easy time with Fec so I'm really struggling with feeling rubbish on T. Xx

Highlighted

Hi fionajj
I'm day 9 after first T & still have the horrid mouth, luckily no ulcers & I'm finding the aches & pains have eased a lot now, feeling much 'better' - I'm on final (7th) filgrastim injection 2day too - I have it mid afternoon which I find sets me back a little with the aches but thankfully it's the last one til T5.
Hope this helps a little πŸ’•
Highlighted

Hi ladies, I'm currently day 7 after first T and hate it so much. Was fine for first 4 days then it hit. Vile taste in my mouth and very white, been taking fluconasol but doesn't seem to be clearing. Ended up in hospital day 5 with temp of 38.5 although all tests proved ok. Is anybody over day 7? Desperate to know when I'll feel better. Sending you all love xx

Highlighted

That's next weeks programme. This week was a man with breast cancer and a woman who's had it twice in 20 years. Not the best thing to watch but still..
Highlighted

Hi lynniepinns currently singing 'just keep swimming' in my head in the Voice of dory off Finding Nemo. Lol
Didn't watch the big C But did see the last 5 mins which was mainly showing a little boy with brain tumor, all I could think was thank god this is happening to me and not my son. Which then made me feel very sorry for my mum. To many emotions. Don't think I'll watch it. To much to deal with right now.
As for the denial discussion, I think it's more avoidance. I'm just gonna keep swimming and analyse and process when it's over and I'm cured.
Regards to the taste discussion, pickled onion monster munch and horseradish sauce seem to have some flavor ( not together) xx
Highlighted

Hi all, haven't watched the big c but I can only speak from previous experience when I went through treatment for bowel cancer 8 years ago and say I was extremely emotional and depressed for a long time during and after and now I look back and am sad at the time that was wasted feeling like this instead of getting on and embracing my kids and life to keep going.  I have been much more positive this time and tried to take treatment and keep life going as normal as possible (although keeping working 2 weeks out of 3 has been a big strain).  Having said that the day 7 1st T has kicked me hard and just got back from 2 days in hospital with neutropeana. And to think I hated FEC hmmm am saying constantly to myself "just keep swimming" and planning all the amazing food I will eat when my mouth recovers..  Anyone else have a grey mouth but been told not thrush?  Keep going girls, the nhs and treatment solutions for bc are well founded xxxxxxxx

Highlighted

I would under normal circumstances watched the 'C' prog, but couldn't. any programmes that contain anything to do with 'C' I won't watched.  In denial ??  Scared....definitely.

hating chemo wanting it to end but scared at the same time.

trying to stay positive, but coping with all the s/e certainly does test you.

we can do this ............  most certainly WE CAN!!!

Highlighted

Colista I think it's the best way for us to be. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow and your back gets better. Positivity is the key xx
Highlighted

Hi all
Fortunately I haven't had many mouth issues! Yes food has tasted crap for a week on FEC but then back to normal but I have found McDonald's milkshakes help! I start the dreaded T Monday so I've been following the thread and am thankful for all that have shared your experiences!
Having Hickman line inserted tomorrow so at least my arms can start to recover
One thing I have got though is an extremely itchy back! Onc has given me Avenno cream as it's very dry (like my mouth) has anyone else had itching?
Didn't watch the C prog Jem but I'm like u once treatment and surgery is done with that's it, move on and carry on, am I in denial?
Love to u all xx Colista x
Highlighted

I watched the big C. Really strange but I feel like I can relate to them but I don't worry that I could become like them. Is that strange? I almost believe I'm cured and I won't hear of it again. Am I in denial?? How can you put salt in your soup when everything tastes so salty in the first place?? Salt makes me borrrrrk πŸ˜‚. I found tonight that chuppa chup lollies help my taste buds feel normal again. X
Highlighted

My sense of taste is crap at the moment. I think it's from the reflux as I have a constant sour taste in my mouth which is just horrible. Strong tasting foods help to cut through the taste so curries, sharp foods like very tomato-y pasta, anything creamy just tastes of vomit :-/ so even ice cream tastes horrible.

Ali
Highlighted

ice cream is good but the best thing for me is hot soup with loads of added salt. Really soothes my mouth. Not sure whether to watch 'The big C' on tv tonight?

Highlighted

Ice cream is the only thing that works for me at the minute. X
Highlighted

I know how you feel Jem, I had a McD's ice cream yday & it was the best thing I've ever tasted! πŸ˜‚ xxx
Highlighted

Could really cry... The fact I can't taste anything is really getting me down. Anyone found anything that they can eat that tastes even a little bit normal??? 😒😒😒😒
Highlighted

Hi SusieQ,

Radiotherapy will be 20 sessions - 15 (right breast) plus 5 "boost" (tumour site).  In the euphoria of finishing chemo I expected all side effects to suddently stop!  they haven't, so I am still taking the domperidone and ondansetron for nausea; still falling asleep after doing very little (even going upstairs can be exhausting) and still unable to taste much.  but it's not yet been a week, and I'm sure it will get better soon.  I also know that the Herceptin injections will continue, and that endocrine treatment will start at some point (Tamoxifen was mentioned by BC nurse).

Good luck to all, take care of yourselves,

Mary xx

Highlighted

Hello All,

I have also found 'T' very emotional. I have been having a good cry today already although I am not sure exactly what about, just *everything* I guess. I have also ached with the injections - today's one causing a pulsing throb in my lower back but have managed to keep off the painkillers. I find the first 2 days of gcsf injections leave me the most sore.

I have one T left to go with the PICC to be removed immediately after the infusion. Here's to *never* being here again. If there is any universal being up there - please don't let me have to go through this again and have a strong and healthy life.

Ali xx
Highlighted

Hi Susie
I have felt very emotional too this time, I don't cope very well on the 'come down' after finishing steroids plus laying around on the settee exhausted was not doing my mind any good - but we have to listen to our bodies and rest - which is not easy with a hyper 2yr old! πŸ˜ƒ
I had my 1st herceptin the day before my 1st T, relatively painless & had no issues with it 😊
Sooo looking 4wd to having my picc line removed in approx 5wks to be able to wear sleeveless tops in the sun β˜€οΈ xxx
Highlighted

Hi Loolyboo, so glad you're feeling good after such a short time from having first T. I more or less had the same, but experienced zero energy levels and had quite a few emotional episodes.  Pleased to say with one week to go til first Herceptin and second T I've got a bit more spring in my step now. Love to all xx

Highlighted

Hi 😊
7 days into first T and just starting to feel more human πŸ’ͺ
Totally different than FEC for me, which I seemed to cope reasonably well with - T has given me sore throat, diarrhoea πŸ™ˆ achy ribs, back, legs & pelvis, been chomping paracetamol like sweeties! 😳
But on the upside, starting to feel better and had no issues with raised temperatures with just 2 more to go 😊
Despite this 'blip' in our lives, I'm surprised now looking back how quickly the time through our treatments are going - hope this is the same for everyone, big hugs πŸ’•
Loolyboo xxx
Highlighted

Hi Mary, congratulations in saying bye bye to chemo (I'm still a couple of session away). How often do you have to have radiotherapy?
Best wishes, take care. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are all doing OK; just dropped in to say I have now completed 12 cycles of Taxol and am having 3 weeks off before starting radiotherapy (Herceptin injections will continue every 3 weeks).  For me, the cold capping worked & I still have my hair, even if it is a bit thinner & more brittle. Releived, delighted, apprehensive are just some of the feelings I have at finishing the chemo - I am aware that there are plenty of others who are continuing with their various treatments and wish them all the best.

Take care of yourselves, love to all, Mary xx

Highlighted

Hi fioajj,
So glad to hear that you are feeling so well - long may it continue. Enjoy your weekend! X
Highlighted

Hi lovely ladies, sorry not been on in a while, hope everyone's doing good. I had a really long day in hospital yesterday as I started on Herceptin and Docetaxol, glad to get the 1st of both of these treatments under my belt. Woke up this morning feeling the best I've felt since I started on Fec, long may it continue. I've read the se's don't usually kick in for a few days so I'll make the most of today and tomorrow. Hope you are all well and enjoy the bank holiday weekend xxx

Highlighted

Day 10 since first T. Had zero energy for days but today managed 20mins walk. Here's hoping for my 'good week' before it all kicks off again.
Stay strong and positive love to everyone xx
Highlighted

cjrd - Thats great news. Glad you won't have to suffer again.

Ali - Thanks for sharing. Looks really interesting - will watch it over the next few days (2nd T tomorrow so have plenty of rest time ahead)

Jembossable - sorry to hear your very sad news.

They told me today I only need to have 4 injections after this chemo so hopefully I won't get that horrible back ad hip pain again - fingers crossed!

Hope everyone is ok today.

Aileen

Highlighted

Hi All,
Well I was taken off Docetaxel/Taxotere yesterday and was put back on to FEC (for No.5) - it was felt that my side effects were too severe; also my CRP was sitting on 180 and this should normally be below 10 - this test is not  performed in my hospital but was done when I landed in A and E in my local hospital two weeks ago. They will keep me on FEC for the final treatment - I am so relieved. Hope that all is well for everybody. X

Highlighted

Thank you Ali-B. I ve watched it through in its entirety. I cried along with Victoria. 

I have been dreading cycles 5&6 of T and didn't know if I'd be able to cope. I feel I can now and whenever I have another wobble I'll go back and watch her diary again.

xx

Highlighted

Hello Girls been a while but wanted to share you this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36362856

Highlighted

Just found out that after an appendix op my bfs younger brother (37, my age) had cancer cells so he's had some of his bowel and large intestine taken away... Now he has to have 6 month worth of chemo. Feel like this **bleep** is never ending. Bf is distraught understandably. 😒😒xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

I had the horrid thrush and ulcers... Feeling your pain. Mine cleared within a couple of days, but mouth and throat very sure for a good few. Lived on porridge and soup... Made me so miserable! Really hope I don't get it next time!!!!!! I too had a good 3 Fecs without issues xxx

Aargh forgot to paint my nails, now mixing nail polish with packed lunch preparation , the kids may have purple tinged sandwiches 😊

Highlighted

Hi SusieQ yes that sounds about same as me. I've mentioned it to the onc every time but they didn't want to give me anything, just said to rest when I'm feeling tired. Yeah right with a 4 year old to look after.
I've been told I can take antihistamines (for itchy hands and feet) so thinking about getting the ones that make you drowsy just to take at night.
That's fantastic that you go back to work on your good week and rejoin normality.
Sounds likes your having a tough time on T. Tell your onc everything before next one. My onc did offer to reduce mine slightly but I said no. Possibly going to be regretting that decision after today lol. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Amylou, I can't sleep either.i only seem to manage a few hours at a time. I have been prescribed sleeping tabs and have used them on and off since I was first diagnosed. Although they get me off to sleep its only for 3-4 hours (I sometimes take another then). Otherwise I could be awake from 2/3am onwards.  During my good week I normally sleep ok, but that's because I go back to work and rejoin the normal world. 

Will I get a good week on T every day I seem to get rid of one s/e only to get it replaced by something else!!!  Xx

Highlighted

So I did sleep like a log. Problem was only for about 4 hours!!!! Bloody steroids. Anyone else have sleep issues? Anyone been given anything for it? Xx
Highlighted

Second T tomorrow... Arrrrgh... Then only 1 to go. Happy days. Xx
Highlighted

Thanks, cjrd. Good to hear FEC was kinder for you. I hope you have a much easier time with the rest of the T.

Good luck to everyone having chemo this week.

Highlighted

I have eaten tonnes today too, bulking up before the cardboard mouth kicks in! πŸ˜ƒ
I'm liking the HALF WAY comment& after tomorrow some of us will be TWO THIRDS! Hope it goes well for everyone tomorrow πŸ’•
Highlighted

Hi Lynniepinns,
Good luck for tomorrow - we can do this! X

Highlighted

Good luck tomorrow all on their first T, me too.  Have eaten for England today before I lose the taste buds!  Hoping everyone does ok.  Really hoping less nausea, now have phobia of tablets- managed to throw up before they even gave me 3rd FEC last time oh dear, sort of looking forward to T because it not supposed to be as sicky p if that s not too weird!!!!  Hugs to all we are HALF WAYxx

Highlighted

Hi Loolyboo,
Good luck for tomorrow. X
Highlighted

Hi Amylou,

Good luck for tomorrow. X

Highlighted

Looks like there's a few of us having T tomorrow. Me included. Good look ladies hope all goes well.
I've had my steroids today and again been very productive on them. House cleaned, washing done, beds changed, shopping done. Even planted some wheatgrass to start juicing! If I don't sleep like a log tonight I'll be fuming! Not stopped all day mostly to keep my mind off tomorrow.
Well wishes to everyone where ever you are in your cycles. Xx