1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2017 Radiotherapy

swampy1901

Re: March 2017 Radiotherapy

Congratulations kimjane on your last radiotherapy treatment!! Doo Doo!! Another one bites the dust!!

Lots of luck to everyone still having their treatments.

I'm still cooking a week after my sessions finished - I have a rash and some rather sore patches but all in all it's going well!!

Swampy

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kimjane

Dont know what time your apt is at today, whether you have now completed your rads, but the bells are rining for you now anyway xxx

bell.jpg

Helena xx

mrsorangecat

Yes definitely do that Dawn if you get probs as the gel really seems to have helped a bit this evening. Truey, hope yours settles down.

Kimjane, hurrah for tomorrow, that's so great that its your last one! Really nice too that you had a good social experience, mine's been a bit solitary but the radiographer's have all been very pleasant. Il be glad when its done and dusted 😁
Kimjane

Hi ... my 19th zap tomorrow and last one😀  Had a review yesterday and very pink and sore .. I was given some medicated pads to put inside my bra but I found this gave me a rash .. so continuing with E45.  Feels strange that tomorrow is the last one as my husband and I have developed quite a social life with the other daily patients having radiotherapy for either breast or prostate ... a lovely atmosphere and I am sure this has helped us through ... hope all of you still in the middle of treatment are enjoying the interaction we have had at Queen Alexandra in Portsmouth x

OldDawn63

Truey and Mrsorangecat - I was talking the radiographers about this today, and they said I could start getting redness after about 6 treatments so yours is consistent with that. I've only had 3 so far so no problems yet, but I know I need to look out for signs next week and ask for help as soon as anything starts.

mrsorangecat

Hi all,

Hope you're all ok and enjoying this lovely sunshine if you have it where you are? 

Had no.7 out of 15 today. At the end i told them that my scar was feeling a bit sore and they thought the area was very pink so they took me round to see the tissue viability nurse who applied some gel and gauze and gave me two further little tubes of the gel to apply at tea time and then just before bed. It's very cooling so i hope it does the trick. I also seem to be getting the little sharp twinges near my armpit that i had following surgery. 

Halfway through 😂 the machine is having maintenance on Fri so no treatment and a nice long weekend to look forward too!! 😂Xx

Truey

Hi All,

9 down and 6 to go.....after lunchtime will be two thirds of the way through!! For the first time yesterday, I felt my skin become hot and pink afterwards. Is this the time others have started having SEs?

No significant tiredness so far though 🙂

Hugs to to all being zapped today.

Sue O X 

maryminder

Hi All

Four down eleven to go, plain white ceiling to stare at and it is either freezing cold or boiling no happy medium.

The first three treatments were on the same machine with the same radiographers but today it was a different machine and radiographers and they had problems getting me in the right position I had to sit up and lay back down a couple of times so took longer than usual and I also noticed when I got home that the pen marks on my skin which I presume they use for lining up are in a different place than usual, not sure if it makes a difference to the area treated.

Back in usual room tomorrow for number five, hope everyones treatment is going smoothly

Hugs

Mary x

OldDawn63

There was some music today, but I could hardly hear it above the machine so I couldn't tell you what it was. Probably why I didn't notice it yesterday! They might as well not bother if you can't hear it.

Blueleyla

I had my treatment on Cedar unit so there was a picture of a cedar tree They also had the radio on but seemed to change the station most days and it was really just background music. A cherry blossom tree sounds lovely

mrsorangecat

Lol! The piece of ceiling where i look at needs a good paint, just white and boring. They need a picture of Daniel Craig up there to hold my interest. My team seems to have a penchant for Maroon 5 !!😂 Ha! X

Optimissy64

Well, I didn't think my unit was particularly frilly, - but at least there was a picture of cherry blossom overhead, but it is static - they laughed when i said i expeced it to move.....(but I really did think it was going to be some sort of slide show.) Maybe your crew will have the radio on today!

OldDawn63

Thanks Optimissy, but what music? The only sounds I heard yesterday were made by the machine and the radiographers! There are no pictures either, such as others have mentioned. It is clearly a 'no frills' operation here. I'm my way to the hospital now for the second one now (appointment at 4.30). I think I could find the runny nose a bit of a challenge as well, because it seems to be constantly streaming due to the Herceptin.

Optimissy64

Yeah Old dawn, the positioning takes longer than the rads bit, but quicker after Day 1,  Worst bit for me was getting an itchy nose or eyebrow just when you can't move. Sod's law. The music was interesting - different teams seemed to favour different music and one day it was really loud "holiday in Ibiza type" music (not usually my scene at all) but I really enjoyed it and felt "holidayish". Not long till May and the real thing now (not in Ibiza though, not at my age!) Good luck with the rest of the Rads - gets a bit boring flogging up to the hospital every day but I just told myself  I was going to work. x

OldDawn63

Thanks for the tips Optimissy.

I am now on my way back from the hospital after my first radiotherapy. I double checked about the Herceptin and they said it is fine, so I'll be going to the other hospital for that this afternoon.

Theworst thing about today's radiotherapy was having to stay still for so long, because they had to position me and take reference pictures. They said the rest will be a lot quicker now that they have set it all up, so it should get easier in that respect at least.

Optimissy64

Hi Corrina

re bras during rads, I bought 2 on-line from Yogichi, (as I wasn't reading much on this forum at the time so didn't know about Sainsburies) which are long yoga vest tops (I don't do yoga I might add...) as they were heavy-duty supportive cotton - they were on offer for about £7.50 ish. I felt very supported and wore them for the whole of the 3 weeks of rads with no bra and was very comfortable (and warm, as February weather was a bit cold during my rads period.)

I used Aqueous cream about 3 times a day during rads and had no skin probelms at all - but make sure you don't use it less than 2 hrs before the rads and make sure it is well rubbed-in.

All the best. X

OldDawn63

Katy, Blueleyla, Mrsorangecat and Truey - thank you for the kind words and advice.

Mrsorangecat- I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday too despite everything that has happened since. Our husbands' health problems are unlikely to have had anything to do with the BC (and mine's is pretty much under control most of the time anyway, though the extra worry about this hasn't helped). Neither is anything we have or haven't done, probably, so there's no point beating yourself up about that either. Lifestyle can be a factor, but moderate drinking and the occasional cake won't have caused it.

Corinna- if you are only seeing the oncologist about your treatment plan today you may not get to start radiotherapy for a while if you are having it, because you have to have a planning session first. This involves having a CT scan and tattoos. The oncologist should explain about this, but it's really nothing to worry about.

You are being very sensible thinking ahead and asking questions now - it is wise to be as prepared as possible for each stage of your treatment before it starts. I would definitely recommend putting together a list of questions for the oncologist if it's not too late, to make sure everything you are worried about gets covered. I did this before chemotherapy and surgery, but made the mistake of not doing the same for radiotherapy, so there were still outstanding issues that didn't get resolved until last week. I think I must have been focusing so much on recovering from the previous stages of treatment that I took my eye off the ball, so to speak. I suppose I could blame 'chemo brain,' but that excuse is starting to wear a bit thin now!

I haven't started my radiotherapy yet (it starts later this morning!), but as I mentioned in my previous post, I have been advised to use perfume free products such as Simple soap, aqueous cream or E45 lotion, and a crystalline deodorant such as Pitrok. It's funny how each hospital seems to recommend different things, but they all say it should be perfume free. I have also been advised not to wear any underwired bras during treatment, and to leave my bra off for at least a few hours when I get home after each treatment, to prevent rubbing and chafing.

Ididn't have any axillary nodes removed (had WLE and SNB only), but my scar does extend partly under the armpit, so anything too tight under the arms could cause problems. I've already got some skin problems following chemotherapy, so I don't want to aggravate them instead of a bra at home, I will probably try wearing the crop tops from Sainsbury's mentioned by Blueleyla. I bought some of these to wear after my operation, and they were very comfortable, better than the ones I got from Asda. I also invested in some soft padded bras which I can wear when I go out. The padded ones cost £8 and are more comfortable than the unpadded, but the pads do tend to migrate in the wash, which is a bit annoying. The loose tops and blouses I wore after the operation should be OK as well.

I have also been doing the post surgery exercises religiously since the operation which I think has helped a lot with recovery. I have been doing them 4 times a day for the last three weeks, as advised by the oncologist. This has been a pain to fit in, particularly during the holiday last week but I think it has been worth it. I'm as prepared now for radiotherapy as I'm ever going to be! I hope your appointment goes well, let us know how you get on.

Truey

Hi Corinna,

I had my mx and axiallary node clearance last August and still have some swelling. I've been told it's completely normal. The "hard" swelling can last for many months or even years, so don't worry. The rads do seem to make it feel a bit uncomfortable and I do my exercises to try and keep it comfortable.

So far (having had 7/15 rads) I have been alternating the vest type post surgery bras worn with a softie with my normal bra and prosthesis. I'm quite large breasted and it is uncomfortable having minimal support for too long. However, there is no burn yet on the skin so I may have to revise this as we go on!!

Hugs to all,

Sue O

mrsorangecat

Hello OldDawn63, i hope you had a lovely hols, im so sorry to hear about your unfortunate wig incident on holiday, i bet u were mortified at the time, but so nice that help was on board. This will be something you will probably look back on and giggle about in years to come but right now it's just another cancer omg moment.

Thank you for your kind words, yes, the more iv calmed down and scraped myself off the ceiling and thought logically about things, the swelling had to be the seroma making the changes. Just shows how hypersensitive I am about things to automatically think the worst and imagine them to have seen cancer regrowing everyone!!

I didn't want radiotherapy either and questioned the need after mastectomy. I nearly said no to it and then thought if it ever did come back in the future then they can't say i didn't do everything they suggested regarding treatment. It will go fast, u'll see hun xx

For any new peeps starting, If there's no issues that come up after planning session then the procedure of having the radiotherapy is pretty straightforward, Friday's session I was in and out in about 10 minutes, they even called me in early from the waiting room as they were ahead of themselves.

I use Doublebase gel twice a day to moisturise at their suggestion and the Bionsen aluminium free deodorant and after 4 sessions there's no change to colour of skin yet, but chest feels harder to the touch. It feels a bit like It did after surgery, that weird feeling like you've got somebody elses bra on!! 😂😜

The similarities keep coming, Helena, Dawn and myself have husbands or partners with long term health problems - any connection to getting the breast cancer do you think? Worry is a bad thing that's for sure.

Emily hello! 11 am slot is a bit rubbish parking wise. Iv had to run from the traffic lights outside the hospital a couple of times down to Arden centre as couldn't even get onto car park. I daren't go alone as at least if I have to do that, mum can park in Tesco til I'm finished. I hope its going well for you still? 😀

I'm tring to drink more water, having loads of squash though.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a lovely day, the machines are running on time, the parking's a doddle and they're playing fab music whilst we have our treatment 🎝 🎜 big hugs, love Hxxxxx
mrsorangecat

Hi Corinna 😀 I'm wearing those vest top type bras that have pockets in them and putting my softie in them whilst having my treatment. It seems to help as its softer and less heavy than wearing a bra and prosthesis, for me anyway. Yes, iv still got slight swelling from a seroma after surgery mid December, so I think it can linger a bit...hope it goes well xx
Blueleyla

Hi corrina

i finished radiotherapy last week , taking Letrozole and Adcal 3 after having a bone density scan as I have osteopenia. I bought a crop top from Sainsbury's for £6 and still find this more comfortable than my bras. They are in the sleepwear sections and come in a range of colours. Hope this helps.

Corrina

Hi All

Im going to discuss treatment options with my oncologist tomorrow. I am thinking I will be offered three weeks of Radiothrapy and to take letrozole for five years.however they said they will be discussing the pros and cons of treatment options so hoping they dont suggest any chemo as that would really scare me .

Anyway I have it in my head I am doing radiotherapy so want advice on  what bras to wear during treatment and whether there is anything I can do or buy to help myself before I start the treatment and what creams to use to stop me from burning or scarring in the future.i will be getting radiotherapy to the breast and under my arm. I am still a bit swollen under my arrm and where the scar is where they took out my lymph nodes and wandering if this is normal. I had my sugery on 31 Jan 17 x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Katy

That is what I used whilst on rads, the Pitrock, it is a bit strange because you either have to put it on wet skin or wet the end of the stick, but it works.

Helena xx

Katy

Hi olddawn

Thank you, I will look for the Pitrock it sounds good.  I am using Aloe vera gel which was recommended as a moisturiser.  Ladybowler recommends keeping it in the fridge as it helps cool things down later in the treatment, and she takes her moisturiser with her to appointments to apply immediately after treatment.  Good Luck tomorrow.

OldDawn63

Hi ladies, sorry for neglecting you all. I am back from holiday now and (sort of) ready to start radiotherapy tomorrow morning.

Belated thanks to 7oanne for good wishes. We didn't go very far for our holiday, just to a cottage on the Somerset/ Wiltshire border, because I didn't want to overdo things too soon. We went to Stonehenge on Tuesday and the weather was a lot better than expected, bright but a bit chilly. I wore a woolly hat over my wig, which unfortunately got caught on a twig sticking out of the lintel of one of the reconstructed Neolithic houses. The hat came off, and the wig with it, so I had to beat a hasty retreat back inside the house! I was lucky that the only people in there were a couple of kind, sympathetic ladies who helped me to put the wig back on straight.

Katy -  I forgot to ask about this at my briefing session as well, so I rang on Friday, and was told it was OK to use deodorant as long as it is one of the perfume free crystallised types. I got one called Pitrok from Boots about 3 weeks ago, and started using it straight away to get used to it. It's basically a lump of crystal rock in a plastic container. You moisten it with wet fingers and dab it under your arm. I was sceptical about it at first, but it really does seem to work!  I have also been advised to use only perfume free soap (I use Simple and they confirmed that is OK) and aqueous cream as moisturiser (they said E45 lotion is also OK). My first appointment isn't until 10.15 tomorrow morning, so it should be fine if I use the moisturiser and deodorant first thing in the morning, as long as it is more than 2 hours.

Truey - I haven't been given any advice about increasing fluid intake during radiotherapy, but it is possible to go too much the other way, so please be careful and don't overdo it. I ended up in hospital twice with hyponatremia following FEC chemotherapy, partly due to drinking too much (I don't accept that the excessive drinking was my fault though, because it wouldn't have happened if the nausea had been properly controlled and I'd been able to eat). After the second episode, I was advised not to drink much more than the standard 2 litres a day. Part of the treatment for the hyponatraemia the first time was to reduce my fluid intake to 1 litre a day, which I found much more difficult than drinking the recommended 2 litres - so if you factor in cups of tea etc, you may already be drinking more than you think! It is easier to drink the right amount of fluids if you measure your intake and pace yourself. You can check the volume of the mug or glass you normally use by filling it with water then tipping it into a measuring jug, and that way you can keep tabs on how much you are drinking over the whole day (how many cups/ glasses = 2 litres). It is also better to sip drinks slowly than all in one go. 

Mrsorangecat - sorry to hear of your awful week and hope you are feeling better. It is understandable that you panicked during the radiotherapy when they told you that. If you think about it though, there can be changes between CT scan and radiotherapy if you still had some post-operative swelling when the scan was done, but it has gone down since. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same happens to me, because I still had some swelling when I had my CT scan, but it seems to have largely gone now, so it has definitely changed. Any swelling you can feel now is likely to be scarring beneath the skin - that's what I was told anyway during my planning meeting, and it makes sense to me. It is easy to get worried and panicked about these things though, when you have been through so much already and it STILL isn't over. You want to get on with your life but you can't. I wanted to go back to work, but OH said no. I also had a terrible 'wobble' the week before last, and don't even have hormone therapy as an excuse. It may be too easy to blame the Tamoxifen anyway - too much time between surgery and radiotherapy is not only bad clinically, it is also bad psychologically, because it gives you too much time to think and start worrying about it. At one point I seriously thought about not having radiotherapy at all - I am having 23 of them and it all seems a bit too much. Fortunately I have been able to calm down and see the 'bigger picture,' including the effects on my family and friends if I don't go ahead - my husband also has a long term health condition and I don't want to make things worse for him worrying about me. So I will be starting tomorrow as planned. I am not looking forward to it but now I think the sooner I start the sooner it will be over. I have thought about counselling as well, but realise that it may not be available at short notice. One of the other ladies on the Forum (Gracie) found this was the case, so if you think you need counselling, the sooner you ask for it the better. I would definitely speak to your nurse about it tomorrow.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Emily

Isnt it incredible how advise can vary so widely from hospital to hospital, you would think that there would be a commond set of recommendations!!

Emily T

Nobody has said anything to me about cream or deodorant! I am a week in now.

Mrsoragcat I hope you are feeling better xxxx how's the parking at 11?
Katy

Hi

Thank you both for such a swift response, I appreciate it very much.  I forgot to ask last week at the planning appointment.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Katy

I was the same told not to use deoderant or moisturiser less than two hours before I had my rad session

maryminder

Hi Katy

I started mine last Thursday and was told not to use anything deoderant/creams etc 2 hours prior to treatment, hope this helps might be worth calling the unit if you are unsure

Hugs

Mary

Katy

Hi all

I am due to start my radiotherapy on Thursday and wondered whether it is ok to use deodorant on the morning of my session?  My sessions will be around 8.35 am each day and wasn't sure if it might be a problem within a certain timeframe although nobody said not to at the planning meetiing. Thank you

Blueleyla

Hi Sue

I finished rads last Wednesday and like you struggled with the fluid, generally I didn't  feel too tired but now every time I go to the kitchen I try and have a glass of water. I suppose it also just being aware of your fluid intake.

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Truey,
When going through rads, I didn't drink much more in the way of fluids than I normally would & tolerated the whole thing well (I did not have chemo), with no undue fatigue.
Just listen to your body, you're right, any excess fluid will pass straight out again.
ann x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Sue

I suppose at the end of the day as long as you are taking enough fluid in then I would imagine it will counter any fatigue from the rads.

I have worked out that on days when I find I am suffering from fatigue it has been when I have not drunk enough during the day, so now I make sure I always have my bottle of water beside me at work and as soon as it is empty I will fill it again, it makes me move away from my seat as well because I am very good at forgetting to do that once I get engrossed in something 🙂

Helena x

Truey

Hello Ladies,

Just wanted to ask if anyone else has been struggling with fluid intake. I'm very aware that we should be drinking lots to keep hydrated but if I keep drinking a lot in excess of normal I just pee it all out straight away. I'm in awe of those of you back at work because that volume of fluid has me going o the loo every 20-30 minutes!

Also, trying to drink so much seems to make me feel a bit sick later in the day.

I know for chemo drinking a lot after the infusion and peeing it out was fine because it flushed the chemo out. However, for rads my understanding is that we are just trying to keep as hydrated as possible and I don't really understand how drinking buckets and it going straight through makes us more hydrated (since I'm a biologist I feel I should understand this better but I don't!).

Helena I know you said that you felt much more tired on says when you didn't drink enough. I haven't felt any tiredness yet from my rads - though I'm only on 7 of 15, so maybe it will hit me soon......

Hope managing to enjoy at least part of e weekend and our 2 days off!

Sue O

Blueleyla

Thanks. Yes there is a Macmillan centre near me, I have already had a couple of treatments there. Will make enquiries when I am there next.

mrsorangecat

Thanks Swampy, BlueLeyla and Helena, you're all so fab. I will speak to my breast care nurse on Monday definitely and ask about the counselling.

My lovely husband has just chatted to the gardener who has come to deal with some overgrown trees and mow and edge the lawn and give our garden a good tidy up. I was worried he'd ask if I was ok and id spontaneously cry if I had to talk to him about what we need doing! I can't wait to look at it all later, I love my garden. That will definitely cheer me up 😀

I hope all these side effects settle down, I really don't want any more fuss and just want to get on with my life. I'm a private person and opening up to people doesn't come naturally to me but I will give the counselling a go and speak to GP if I need antidepressants as I really want to stay on the Tamoxifen for the duration.

I tried to get my bloods done this week to check my hormone levels and thyroid but they couldn't get a drop out of me, even when she finally resorted to trying back of hand? When the phlebotomist knew that I was having radiotherapy she said it was common for veins to go flat and shut down? Just wondered if that had happened to anyone else? I'll try again when I finish treatment.

I'm going to go for a walk, clear my head and then watch a nice film on Neflix.

Don't know what id do without you all, you're so right, no-one gets it unless they've been through it themselves.

Have a good day girlies xxxxxxxxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

mrsorangecat

I can SO relate to you.  I am exactly the same I am the strong one, but even when you are strong there are times when you dont want to be and just need that bit of support yourself.  I too have a partner who has long term health problems, he was diagnosed with MS 18 months ago and i am his carer to a great degree.

What you have to do to look after yourself, you will no doubt have heard on here a lot "be kind to yourself" and actually I think the counselling was my way of being kind to myself.  It gave me a place where I could safely and comfortably talk about my hopes and fears for the future, grieve for the life that we had and actually realise that we still have a lovely future together albeit a different one to that which we had but no less fulfulling.  It helped me to put everything back into perspective and to celebrate how well I have done on this journey with breast cancer.

Absolutely just spoil yourself today, make sure you drink plenty of water though and moisturise, thats me being mumsy again, as I do on here 🙂 

Helena xxx

swampy1901

So sorry to hear of your awful week mrsorangecat - hopefully the weekend will give you a chance to gather yourself ready for next week. It is scary when things are going on around you and no-one is taking the time to explain what's going on.

As blueleyla says it could also be the hormone therapy that is giving you the blues which was something that my oncologist said.when I mentioned that 90% of the time I'm fine and then the other 10% and the slightest thing sets me off. Tamoxifen can give you mood swings and if you are the one who is normally strong for everyone else - it can be very difficult to let that go.  I'm fortunate in that the girls at our local hospice who do complementary therapies also take the time to talk and let you let off steam etc so in effect offer a counselling session too.

But if I really felt I needed it I would go for it. My GP offered it way back when I first found out I had BC and couldn't sleep and she wanted to give me anti depressants rather than sleeping tablets. I didn't feel it warranted anti depressants so early on so she gave in and prescribed the sleeping tablets- 8 months on I still have half of them. So her fears of me becoming addicted to them were unwarranted.

But I'm rambling - go for the counselling - you have been through so much over the last few months that you need some release. My family and friends have been brilliant but I still find that only someone who has actually been through BC can understand where you are coming from - I go to a monthly group which meets to chat over coffee and lets us have a giggle over things that no one but us ladies would understand. 

Blueleyla - you are right in saying that counselling won't change anything that has happened to you but it will help you come to terms with it. There are many moments when I could scream at the world about the unfairness of it all - and why me? My life had been virtually untouched by any family members with cancer and now it is changed forever - thats the bit I personally find hard to cope with. It doesn't matter that cancer is not selective and that 1 in 3 people will be affected by it - it's still c**p!! Think I'd better book up!! lol!!

Swampy

ladybowler
Community Champion

Blueleyla

I had mine arranged through my work ,however, I am sure that your breast care nurse (when was diagnosed it was one of the services they mentioned I could have if I needed it) or do you have a MacMillan centre near you, they will be able to sort something for you.  The other thing is perhaps have a word with your GP surgery and ask if they can make a counselling referral.

Helena xxx

Blueleyla

Ladybowler, you mentioned counselling. Is that something that was arranged through your hospital? I haven't gone down that route so far as i have felt that  talking to someone is not going to change anything but wonder if it is something I should consider.

Blueleyla

So sorry mrsorangecat to hear about your awful week. I am on Letrozole which also comes with mood swings and I can cry at the drop of a hat these days, I put it down to the Letrozole and the tough times we are all going through. Lots of hugs. Enjoy your 2 days off.

mrsorangecat

Thanks Helena for your reply, you're so very kind. I will ask my bc nurse about the counselling as I'm hoping it will help. I'm the sort of person that usually holds things together. My husband has a long term health condition and I support him. I'm not used to feeling "weak" and its rubbish. Going to be gentle with myself today and enjoy the 2 rad free days. Thanks again xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

mrsorangecat

No wonder you feel as you do you really have been through it this week, sending you a lovely squishy hug from all the girls xxx 

Never forget you are amazing and extremely brave because you have gone through so much so be proud of yourself for how far you have come my dear.

You never have to apologise for posting no matter how long or short it is, this is a safe comfortable place which allows us to get the things out that we sometimes can not tell our families and friends.

Just to say I took Tamoxifen before I even started my rads, about a month before.  I have been on in now for nearly 4 months.  In the beginning I was having quite a few sensitive times but that has settled down now.  I would imagine that your bursting into tears yesterday was the culmination of the whole week, its bad enough having to go every day without soemthing like that happening .  There was one time during my rads when I actually broke down in the rads room because I just could not cope with my life being controlled by this one appointment every day.  It does get to you.

The nurse was probably trying to ascertain if there was any unusual that might have caused it so hence the questions.  I would have thought that if there was anything you were doing that you should not be, she would have told you.

I think you will find that "a phantom patient" is some sort of diagnostic programme they run, in the same way as they do when there is a problem with a piece of equipment to identify what and if there is a problem with it.  But if you wanted to know there might well be someone on the helpline who would be able to answer your question.

It really does not sound ridiculous that you could not speak, you were terrified as you say and it was bringing back all the anxieties when you were waiting for diagnosis.

I must admit I highly recommend counselling.  I have just completed 6 sessions of it yesterday, the only reason for it ending is it felt the right time for me, I could have had more if I wanted to, but I felt that I was able now to move forward.  I had counselling 8 years ago for stress and again found it so therapeutic.

Try and put this behind you now and enjoy your weekend off rads.

We are all here for you and always will be

Helena xxx

mrsorangecat

Hello all, it's been a horrible week. As you know I started rads on Tuesday and Tuesday was fine, however, on Wednesday I had a proper panic, there were more techs in there wanting to do extra tests including another CT scan. They did all the measurements and setting up twice, but something was not right. Apparently there was swelling on my current imaging that was different from my planning CT images. They mentioned things like "running it on a phantom patient" prior to doing the treatment and then did the treatment. I was paralysed with fear on the bed as in my head all I could think about was recurrence or secondaries. They looked concerned but didn't say much, just said they were going to show the imaging to the Onc. I felt sick with fear all Wed night, it brought everything back and I felt panic stricken like I had been when I was first diagnosed. I'd been feeling so good as well following my holiday and almost back to normal.

Anyway, sorry for my ramblings... I went on Thursday and i had my treatment it took them a long time to set things up with the measurements, a good 30 minutes, my anxiety levels were through the roof as they don't tell you anything, then they did the treatment. I left again feeling scared and clueless. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous but I could barely speak and asking any questions was beyond me, i just thought it must be ok, they've gone ahead with treatment. I had another uneasy night.

I went yesterday determined to ask what the problem was and to find out if i was all right. The lovely lady tech who greeted me said that Onc had signed off the CT scan and all was ok. She said the swelling had gone now, I presume they saw that from Thursdays daily imaging that they take. I felt extreme relief.

After my appointment the onco nurse came to me, she was lovely and kind. She asked me how it was going and I said how utterly stressed id felt all week as no two days had been the same and id been frightened but not really told much. She said about the swelling and asked if I knew what may have caused the swelling??? I had no idea. Iv been on hols, had one glass of wine most days with dinner, nothing over the top, was relaxed, drank gallons of water, went swimming. I'm now thinking does she think iv overdone it with alcohol or something? What can cause swelling on a CT scan? It's now been put down to post operative changes. I did have a seroma post op in December and had it drained but its been fine since then. Could flying have caused changes or the Tamoxifen which I started on Sunday prior to radio starting?

I got home yesterday and sobbed my heart out. Feel so emotional. Wonder if its the Tamoxifen making me feel like this. I said to my poor husband am I going to feel like this for next 10 years and will each year waiting for mammos etc be excrutiating like this? Think im going to ask for some counselling as I feel positively flat one minute and crazy the next...☹ sorry to go on, its cathartic typing it here as I bottle things up a lot to not worry my family and friends. Thanks for listening, ur all wonderful and extremely brave xxxxxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Optimissy and Swampy

It is absolutely normal to feel like that, but you soon get over it believe you me you will soon forget it xxx

Optimissy64

Hi  Swampy

I'm so glad you posted - that's exactly how I've been feeling since my rads ended and I said as much to my onc yesterday, and i felt really sort of "ungrateful" somehow, 'cos i expected to be feeling euphoric but

actually feel a bit "So now what?" - I'm feeling good that it's all sorted (all being well) but still a bit -well,  "flat"  is the only word i can think of.. Lovely man said it was really common to feel like that at the end of active treatment and it would soon pass and then you get on with the rest of your life. So I'm going to! x

swampy1901

Thank you Jo and Mrsorangecat

Felt quite lost today - you get so used to having your life mapped out with appointments and things - that when there is nothing or the routine changes - it's like - now what? lol!!

Today another beautiful bunch of flowers arrived from my sister and her family - without fail - after every chemo treatment and now radiotherapy completed - it has made me cry everytime and I love them all dearly!!

Hugs

Swampy

7oanne

Hi Swampy,

🏁🎉💐Well done on completing your treatment 🍾🍾🍾🎉

Sooo pleased for you, how are you feeling as I know you still have the next few weeks to get through but hope that not having to attended hospital every day must be a relief 😀

Big hugs Jo x

mrsorangecat

Hi Emily, oooh nipple itch, not nice, hope its gone now? 4th one for me today, I'll be glad to get this over with Hx