cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2017 Starters

meash67mosh

Re: March 2017 Starters

Hi Moonsreuck

Glad it's going as good as it can for you, and it sounds like you had a great weekend.

I like you have a 23 year old son and a 19 year old son, you still think of them as younger than whatthey are and want to protect them.  My 23 year is a jockey and  broke his pelvis in 3 places last year, it tore through his bladder, so he was taken to trauma unit at Birmingham along with our injured soldiers.  So he knows what it is like to face a very difficult time and he keeps telling me this family gets through everything!!!  your son may want to ask questions in his own time.

well ladies I am from Leicestershire so a good way away from you lovely ladies in the south.  

I am am just ticking each day off the calendar now and want to keep my long hair for as long as I can, I have ordered a wig which is suppose to be here next week, my sister is going to cut my hair and trim my wig for me.  I have also joined the beauty day course, has anyone attended yet.

well I am feeling a tile tired now, hope the pills work and have to see what happens. Take care to all you strong ladies xx

meash67mosh

Hi Rachel

I got on very well actually thank you.  I was fine up until 9.30 during Broadchurch then I suddenly felt very tired and a little nauseous so I went to bed, woke up to go to the loo at 1 ish then just could get back to sleep.  I new I didn't feel right but managed to drop off again then wake up then drop off.  This morning I feel ok so far, had my 3 sets of pills and light breakfast next job is swill my mouth again.  I no its early days but so far as you said doable.  

This is process is scary as you just don't no what to expect, but you just want to get started and finished!!!

How are you finding this 2nd one?  Is it different or very similar to the first so far.  Keep smiling 😀Xx

RachelElizabeth

Hi Meash, how did you get on yesterday? x
Moijan

Good luck with the chemo everyone xx

Moijanx
Moijan

Yes it did come back and the doses were higher In those days I think as it wasn't weekly. it's prob rare it doesn't return ..... best wishes tho xx

Mx
Hellesbelles

Hi ladies, Eliza you are right about our world's being turned upside down I still sometimes think this is a dream I will wake up from. A meet up would be good, I guess Bath would be in the middle for us? Any other ladies anywhere near?
Moonstruck I can't taste anything sweet anymore, we had cheesecake at the weekend it was like cardboard! My friend who went through this in 2013 has been fab with her advice she recommended salt & vinegar crisps and anything spicy. I'm sure your son will be fine, it must be difficult for a young man to deal with what his mum is going through. Of course you worry about your babies no matter what age.
Munchkin good luck for Friday it's the unknown that is the scary bit. It took a couple days for side effects to start for me but they are all manageable. I also went from long hair to a bob and cold capped for my 1st treatment, it was bearable, I'm determined to stick with it. Not noticed any difference to my hair I'm on day 12 now. Xx

Munchkin

Hi Moijan, did your hair come back after Docetaxel? I heard in some rare cases hair sometimes doesn't come back on this treatment.😕Xx
Cartwheels

Thanks for your words of encouragement Moijan, it's so good to hear positive stories, just what is needed when in the dark, strange place that is chemo side effects!

Hope everyone else has had the glorious sunshine in the last few days. It's been a real lift to see blue skies and the sun's warmth.

I had my first round of FEC last Tuesday, and today I have stayed awake all day, a major achievement! I had five days of sleeping and never known such low energy levels. Brain also foggy and lightheaded. But I got through it! As so many other ladies have said, it is doable and the idea of it is scarier than the reality.

I have completely gone off all drinks except pineapple juice and sparkling water. My appetite remains good, and thankfully I have not had the metallic taste.

This morning I did some very gentle yoga, and it really heped to get my body moving again and to do some deep breathing. 

Friends and family have all been in touch, which is lovely, but to be honest I've been happier on my own. 

Just waiting to see if the cold cap works and if I start to lose hair next week.....

x

RachelElizabeth

Hi Eliza, I've had 2 rounds of Docetaxel...I lost my taste buds on day 1, which was rubbish, day 2 I felt fine but tired by the evening and the same for day 3, I'm afraid pain hit today... headaches and bone pain, same happened last time but Tramadol helping with bone pain.... hanging onto eyebrows but shaved my head as patchy after 1st session ... I'm now bald and badass according to my fiancé 🙂 the main thing is, it is tough but achievable.
Good luck x
Moijan

Hi Munchkin, yes...the unknown is always scaryxx

i had 6 rounds of monthly EC in 2001 then  Later on,  after my op, I  had Doxetaxol...I cant be absolutely sure,but I do put my long time free from cancer down to the Docetaxol..I did lose my hair, but we had not got the brilliant cold caps there are now.

i have lost most of my hair again now and really didnt want to lose it again...but I enjoy confusing everyone by weaing different wigs a lot! Anyway, im, still here, which is the main thingxx

Once you start your chemo, you will feel less scaredxx

best of luck with your treatment planxx

Moijan💚💚💚

Munchkin

Hi Eliza, I start my EC 3 rounds of treatment on Friday, then the next three Docetaxel, obviously very anxious about side effects, especially wth the Docetaxel! Although on saying that, a friend of mine had the exact same treatment, she just finished chemo last Friday, she said she found the EC more uncomfortable with the nausea and found the Docetaxel much better, although she did have a lot of aches and pains, but it was more manageable. I guess though at the end of the day, everyone reacts different, it's my hair, eye brows and lashes coming out that worries me more, I'm going to give the cold cap a good try, I had long hair but got it cut short a few weeks ago, fingers crossed I manage to save some of it. My husband read the print outs of the treatment and nearly passed out!! I told him they have to give u all the possible side effects, even though you'll probably only have a few, they have to cover their backs! Everyone I have spoken to who have had chemo, has said its not as scary as it sounds.😌Xx

Moonstruck

Hi Everyone

Had my second round of FEC on Friday, and so far everything has been not too bad - apart from a horrible taste in my mouth all the touch - I can only taste really salty food - everything sweet is bland - and I have sweet tooth so that's annoying.  It's fine having a bit of a blub now and then - it just kinds of builds up sometimes, or appears out of nowhere - very weird. I've also had 2 days of hot flushes, which I didn't get till towards the end of my first cycle - weird again.  I suppose the body knows a bit more about what is going on and how to deal with it? 

I've had lots of visitors this weekend with folk up from London - beautiful weather here in Edinburgh, can't believe their luck.  I find it interesting the sort of questions people ask - most of the men as general questions, although one brother in law did want more detail.  No surprise that some woman want to know more - but I have one sister in law who is very supportive and wanted to know everything about the chemo process - it felt strange talking to her about it step by step but in a good way - and I knew there were a few other people around - but it wasn't till I'd nearly finished that I realised that my son (23) was closely listening.  I had told him bits and pieces before, but not the whole process.  I suppose we know that everyone deals with this in different ways, and some folk don't want to know - or don't want to upset you by asking too many questions. Anyway - I know he will be fine and will ask me more questions now if he needs more information.

I sometimes have problems getting to sleep as my brain keeps jumping about - I find deep breathing helps with counting in and out to slow things down.

Hope you all had a good weekend and some sunshine.  Monnstruck xx

Eliza76

Hi Helen,

Missed Loose women today. You are fully entitled to blub by the way. All this in an ordeal & rips you out of ordinary life & suddenly you're run ragged with appointments, popping pills and using alien words like chemo, wig, headwear etc. Having a good cry is therapeutic. Strange though what sets you off. I was in Boots the morning of the day of the first chemo session. I was in the queue & a baby was crying in a pushchair in front of me. I don't know what it was about the sound of the wail of this baby but it set me of crying in the queue. Stood there blubbing and sniffing like a self pitying idiot with my basket of last minute pre chemo prep stuff. On the positive side that baby stared at me and went quiet instantly 👶

I'm in Bristol so not at all far from you. I would be up for meeting up.

Hug fro Eliza

Hellesbelles

Eliza that made me laugh, it's the sort of thing my mother in law would worry about that her baby son wasn't eating enough!!
I'm also in the south west (very near Longleat) it would be lovely to meet up with some of you ladies maybe.
I've noticed I seem to be alone having TC (docetaxel) x 4 only, no FEC for me. I did have the option of not having chemo as my oncotype score was 26 but i was too scared not to if that makes sense.
From diagnosis to now I've been very positive but had a bit of a blub watching loose women today, you will know why if you happened to see it 😢
Anyway I must get off the sofa away from daytime tv and do the school/nursery run.
Meash I hope today went well. Love to all x
Eliza76

Hi all,

Good luck today Meash & all the others starting treatment this week.

For me it's day 11 following first EC treatment & glad to say it was just really that I have no side effects except 

a bit of tiredness here & there & a dry mouth. Yesterday was a beautiful day here in the South West 🌞 & the first day that was really full on; travel, visiting etc. & I was fine but definitely fell in to bed wiped out at 9pm last night (just in time for Line of Duty).

RachelElizabeth am interested to hear how you get on with Docetaxol as many of us will be on that after FEC/EC.

Helen (HellesBelles) sorry you didn't get out to eat for Mothers Day, hope you had a good day anyway. We popped into see the Mother in law for diner who made steak pie, mash, gravy etc, plus lemon pie & ice cream. I had a go at it but did secret feeding to the dog under the table. Bless her, she's a brilliant cook & wanted to feed up her son as she worried he's eating my new size portions & will waste away......

This week I am waiting for the dreaded hair fallout. Nothing doing yet. 

Happy Monday,

Eliza

RachelElizabeth

I feel your pain 😞 last week I didn't fight it, I got up, made myself cosy on the sofa and watched a couple of films, I dropped off at 5 for an hour!! Try not to worry or stress about it, just think....hey ho, I'll do something else. Mention it to your bcn as they may prescribe you with something if you need it. Good luck x
Hellesbelles

Can't remember who asked now but the hospital will give you a sharps box for the needles, which are very small !
Hellesbelles

Happy mothers day to the mums on here. We were going to have lunch out today but decides against it as everything tastes weird. Tea, squash even wine tastes horrible! This is now day 11 for me and the nausea and aches and pains have gone but feeling lethargic, this could be because my little boy has a bad cough and cold and we've had a week of sleepless nights. I've got in the habit of taking my temperature every day and panicked on Friday when it went over 37. There are so many se to look out for.
I'm hoping this is going to be my good week before it all starts again on the 5th.
Good luck to the ladies starting treatment this week xx
Janbenn61

Hi everybody,I'm really struggling with sleep.takes agers to drop off then a couple hrs after I'm wide awake,any tips would so be appreciated thankyou x

tinkerbell

Just wanted to say Happy Mothers Day to all the mums on here. Having a better week than last so going for a walk in the sunshine andlunch with the family
RachelElizabeth

Hi Meash, totally get it with regards to the first round, can be complicated.. I was given some gastro pills, completely forgot to take them!!! Oopsy. Pop your needles in a tupperware box and take them back to hospital on your next round. My hair started coming out 2 weeks after my first round, had my 2nd chemo on Thursday and I'm now bald and badass!!! I haven't bothered with a wig, but I have got a nice selection of berets, which are actually great, comfy and look ok .. so side effects are kicking in today but I've discovered Tramadol....it's a wonderful thing, I might have some pain but quite frankly my brain is telling me not to worry about it 🙂 Good luck for tomorrow, you'll be fine xx
meash67mosh

Hi Rachel

Thank you, I have had a lovely weekend so far thanks.  Going to see my mum today and then calling to see my son at university. 

I must admit i am I am feeling very apprehensive after going to see the nurse on Friday, she has already given me the 3 large pills!! I take one an hour before my chemo on Monday, I will have to take it before then as I will be in the car.  I did feel fine until she reeled off every side effect none to man!! I no it's important to no and they have to tell you but it can be frightening.  I think I will be glad when I start my second round then it won't be unknown territory I will be treading.  I think by then I will have some idea what to expect and when to take what.  I am more concerned that my wig has not arrived, it's been ordered for well over a week now, the hairdresser has not come back to me either at the hospital who I saw 2 weeks ago, I have tried to call a couple of times but she hasn't replied to me.  What do we do with the needles from the injections do you have a sharp box?? Are the needles small? Do you also have your blood tests the same day but just before chemo every time, or do you have to go again the day before.  Sorry about the questions.

how are you getting on anyway, have your side effects changed any?  When do you go back again.  Did you sign up to the beauty coure.  You are a very good support thank you xxx

Argymargy

Agreed Cartwheel it is strange waiting for side effects!  My face feels a bit sunburnt this morning which I seem to remember reading about.  I'll have to go back and read up on what to put on it - don't want to do the wrong thing!  Otherwise no nausea last night just up every 2 hours to wee - I went a bit overboard on the "drink lots of water" advice!

Cartwheels

Sounds like similar side effects for me too. Had my first round of FEC on Tuesday, felt ok that day, but have been wiped out since. Nauseau not too bad (just as well given all the drugs!) and my tastes has changed (no longer want to drink tea) but have enough appetite to keep eating. Comfort food like beans on toast. 

My nurse advised to not lie down after eating as this makes nauseau worse, and it seems like a good tip. 

Took my last steroids today, so fingers crossed for no dip in the next couple of days. It's very weird almost waiting for the side effects to come on. Good to know there are other ladies out there going through this too.

x

Argymargy

Hi RuthElizabeth - I'm a couple of days behind you!  Same regimen, same kind of side effects and drugs galore.  Last night was my first and I didn't sleep very well but I think that was a combination of anxiety, hot flushes and breakthrough nausea.  I can't work out whether to eat or not!!

Best of luck to you and I look foward to comparing notes! xx

Moonstruck

Hi RuthElisabeth - sounds like you've got a lot going on. Give your body time to recover from the chemo - I did very little until week two and still got very tired. I only started to feel normal in week 3 and even now still tired. I am going for my 2nd chemo today - hoping my body will know what to expect now. 

RachelElizabeth  - good luck hope things go better for you too - I look like a convict too!xx

RuthElisabeth

Hi all. Had first lot of FEC on Tuesday. Having 4 cycles each of FEC and T. Felt fine when I came home but must say nausea kicked in pretty soon so haven't been eating much. Trying to keep drinking water. I have felt a bit out of it all week and haven't managed to get into work but hoping I am now over the worst. I have been on anti-sickness tablets and injections for white blood cell count as well as steroid tablets. Never taken so many different things but hopefully they are all helping me one way or another! I was supposed to be going to have my hair cut short yesterday but didn't feel up to it because of SEs. Hopefully will manage next week before it starts falling out! Good luck to you all out there. Thanks for the support xx

RachelElizabeth

Hi Meash, is it still Monday you start?? If so, make sure you have a scrummy weekend with lots of yummy food. Good luck; if you've got any more questions please shout; I think mine is the other way round though and it does seem SE are different? Anyway you know where we all are 🙂 xx
RachelElizabeth

Morning ladies,

I have posted before but lots of new names so bit of background 🙂 left mx end Dec, nodes involved so full clearance in Jan. Chemo routine is 3 x Docetaxel then 3 x FEC....then 15 rounds of rads followed by right preventative mx and preventative hysterectomy......ooh it's all go with the gift that keeps on giving !!
Revolting mouth hit day 2, mouthwash every couple of hours, everything tastes discussing so opting first ooober healthy smoothies, these taste foul anyway!! Bone, muscle and back hits day 4 to 7 so picked up some tramadol for this, fingers crossed. Hair has all but gone, just did a grade 1 shave last week after my first session and the day before my 2nd session I looked like a very poorly convict so my fiancé did a nice wet shave for me !! The look is unusual but hoping for offers for the next Star Trek or at least a fancy dress party where I can go as Dr Evil !! So for those of you not yet started chemo, be kind to yourself and don't push it too much. Take care xx
Onwards and upwards

Hi all I am due to start chemo on Monday I had left mx at end of January having been diagnosed triple negative with no node involvement. The road to chemo has been very stressful having 4 x fecT followed by doxcetaxel is anyone else on this regime 

semac

I am having second dose of FEC tomorrow but I don't need to inject anything afterwards,just taking oral anti emetics. I will,however, need injections after I've had each dose of docetaxel on days 2-7. I think that units & oncologists work in different ways across the country.

tstock70

First chemo session booked in for the 4th April ! 

Hellesbelles

Hi ladies ,
Thanks for your messages.
Well the back pain has eased, probably because I've kept moving this morning, school run, washing 3rd. I've just sat down for a rest now. My injections are Lenograstim (granocyte) are these the same as Neulasta? The pain was really bad in the night so i got up and read the side effects at 2am. They are for producing white blood cells in the bone marrow. Ive also felt twinges in my hips/legs.
Eliza I also have a peculiar tongue today, everything tastes funny, didn't think about thrush, ive also never had oral thrush. Also the tip of one of my fingers has gone numb, hoping the rest dont. . We will be comparing symptoms at the same time if our treatment is on time.
Tinker bell, I will enquire about the claritin thanks.
Meash I will also have radio and tamoxifen to look forward to. I too feel like hospital is my 2nd home, it's a 40 minute drive on a good run so not ideal.
Onwards and upwards ladies xx
Eliza76

Morning all,

HellesBelles, sorry to hear you had a bad night. There's lots of info about Neulasta causing bone pain, lower back and hips uasually. Sleep and rest is so important right now. I haven't slept that well since my first EC but I rest a lot instead. My 2nd treatment is 06/14 so yes if all goes well, we may be doing treatments at the same time 🙂

I'm on ABs - Flucloxacillin for my PICC line phlebitis. This a.m noticed a nice white tongue, so off to the GP to collect a prescription for oral thrush, never had it before. Lovely. What a weird new world this is. We are all so keen to prepare, predict, control it all because we are fearful. I'm definitely like that. But I think with chemotherapy you literally do have to take it a day at a time. I'm going now as I'm at risk of sounding really naff.

Yours truly,

Eliza

tinkerbell

Hi Hellesbelles sorry about the bone pain. Is it from Neulasta shots? On some of the US sites they talk about taking Claritin for this, might be worth asking your oncologist if it is something you can try.
meash67mosh

Morning Cartwheel

Yes, I have radiotherapy at the end and tamoxifen, they said I will also have injections for two years to stop the periods.   I am just praying that they do not come at the same time as chemo.  I think until I have had my first session and starting the second I won't know what side effects I will experience or at what stage, this is just a waiting game isn't it.  

I think we are all very strong and brave, this journey is so daunting and unpredictable in so many ways.  You just do not know what is coming next.   Yes the hospital has become my second home to I feel I am always there, it's a good journey for me as it takes about 25-30 mins to get there and I have been twice this week and due again tomorrow.  Ladies have a nice day and keep 😀 It will be worth it xx

Hellesbelles

Morning ladies, I had a restless night with a really uncomfortable pain in my lower back. Had to get up for a hot water bottle and painkillers. Little one then woke up at 5am, so I'm shattered. Looks like it is a side effect of the injections.
I work part time 3 days a week, and have been off since January when I had my op. I'd love to go back to work but it's hard knowing when/if the SE will strike. X
meash67mosh

Hi Ladies

Thank you all for the helpful replies, sorry so many questions but I do feel I can chat to you all as you know exactly how I feel. Eliza76 you are brave, my hair falling out is the one thing on this journey that I am dreading but I know it's coming, still it can grow back!!! Tstock70 welcome to our little group, you will find this forum very useful as I did because these ladies are fantastic help and inspiration to new ladies. Poor cartwheels answered all my questions.

are any of you ladies managing to work at all through chemo? 

Night, night all xx

Newgrandma

Hi everyone,

Today was my first chemo session - pertuzumab and herceptin - in the unit for about 9 hours including waiting to check for adverse reactions. This also included lots of trips to the loo, with pump attached and without while waiting. But when I got home and did my blood glucose - I'm type 2 diabetic - it was sky high and going to the loo lots is a symptom. I was so busy watching out for side effects, I forgot about my diabetes.And I hadn't expected it becos I was doing a semi fast/ketogenic diet to help with side effects

. I forgot of course that I had to take steroids for the docetaxel tomorrow and it was the steroids which sent my BG rocketing up. You don't have to be diabetic for this to affect you if you have to take steroids, so if you feel a bit buzzed, tired , going to the loo alot, it might be worth thinking about your blood sugar, especially if you've been topping up on the doughnuts etc to ward off the nausea. So I will have to speak to GP for some medication while on the steroids as I usually control just with diet and exercise. Sitting in the chair all day didn't help so I did several swift laps round the garden when we got home to bring my blood glucose down a bit - must have looked a real idiot as it was getting dark and spitting with rain but needs must.

The good news is that the portacath is fantastic. A little numbing cream before the needle and I didn't feel a thing. So no sore arms or bruising. I asked my onc for one right from the start as I'm needle phobic and everyone has had problems accessing my veins in the past unless its in the back of the hand and that wasn't going to work for 6 cycles of chemo + ongoing till progression. So I'd really recommend it if you have problems with vein access . Quick day surgery to insert the port just under your skin on your chest with sedation so really worth it.

I suspect the steroids and my high blood sugar will keep me buzzing  tonight. Hope everyone else gets good rest before the rest of their journey. Best wishes for tomorrow. Pam x

ps beautiful granddaughter is 3 weeks old so lots to look forward to!

Cartwheels

Hi Meash, Yes, radiotherapy after chemo, then tamoxifen. Such fun! Are you having radiotherapy too?

Your hospital may do it differently, but my chemo appointments are the same day every three weeks. I have to see my oncologist a couple of days before each for them to check I'm ok and take bloods again. Hospital has become my second home!

Hi Moonstuck, how brave of you, hope you're ok this evening. Hearing stories like yours gives me courage for when my time comes!

And Eliza, glad to hear your side effects are waning. And I love a bit of Monty Don, even though I don't have a garden. Think he's just adorable with his dogs 🙂

x

Hellesbelles

Meash - I was worried about the loo trips partly due to my weak bladder and the amount I'd drunk. I had to go twice during my treatment, the nurse just disconnects the meds and ice cap. My partner said I looked like something out of Dr who!
Well done moonstruck, very brave going for the shaved head.
Eliza my first treatment was on the 16th, next 5/4 we might be same time if bloods ok.
Hope everyone ok . Helen x
tinkerbell

Hi Eliza76 glad you are feeling better.

Meash67mosh you can go to the loo if you need to! They switch off the drugs (might be easier if you have a port) but I took the stand with me and they disconnect the ice cap. I tried to move quickly and nearly fell over because I was wearing freezing slippers LOL. Looked like a Martian. Best tip is go after premeds and before chemo.
Eliza76

Hi Moonstruck, hope you're feeling ok post head shave & wig experience. It must have been hard & we just don't know how we'll feel until it happens. So sending you a hug. 

Hello Meash, Cartwheels advice was brilliant so hopefully you will feel less anxious over the weekend & more prepared for your first treatment. 

Ive been having my first relaxing day since my first EC on 16/03. My face, chest etc is now back to normal & I no longer look like I fell asleep on the beach he in the Tropics. Watched a bit of Monty on Gardeners World.....& fell asleep. Bliss.

Love to all

Eliza

tstock70

Been for my oncology appointment today, so should be starting in about 2 weeks for 6 cycles, 3 x FEC and 3 x Taxotere.  Will be glad to get started 🙂 x

meash67mosh

Hi Cartwheels

Thank you so very much for answering all my questions, you are so very kind and helpful to me.  I really don't feel so unsure about all the items I asked.  When you are first told that you will be having chemotherapy your mind just goes into melt down, you are very sensible to have a note book with you.  I will be taking a note book with me on Monday, also reading material, good book or quiz book.  I have also received a call today from my chemo nurse to ask me to come in on Friday to look around the suite and talk to me more.  But thanks to you I don't feel so anxious as you have explained things, thank you.  She may also ask me about the cold cap, I will ask her about it thank you.  I like you will be having FEC first for x3 then I go on to docetaxel Taxotere x3.  Will you be having radiotherapy after?  

I will make make sure I drink plenty before going, I will need the loo!! Will that be a problem?  Do they give your next appointment before you leave, presumably I will be having mine on a Monday going forward. When do you go back again.  I am so pleased your journey is going well so far, it is a hard journey but it really helps to talk to ladies who are actually experiencing it.  

Thank you you for your help and advise xx😀😀

Moonstruck

Hi Everyone

I had an appointment with my wig hairdresser to get the wig I had chosen altered slightly to fit better - although I hadn't used it yet.  My hair started falling out at the weekend - just shedding, no big clumps or anything.  It has been getting worse as the week has passed and getting very annoying to be continually covered in fine hair.  So, at the hairdresser this morning she asked if I wanted my head shaved and after a few minutes I said yes - so came out bald - except I had the wig on.  It feels very stange, and I look like one of my brothers who is bald, which is a bit scary.  I guess I will get used to it, but I don't think I had really prepared myself for how how I would look or feel.  I'm fine - it's just another part of this journey that we go through - and then my life will return to normal - except better, because I won't take everything I have for granted - for a while anyway.

It's good to have this forum to share things with others who are going through, or have gone through, similar experiences, and it's also good just to say things to get them out of your head - otherwise I think I might go mad!

Hope everyone who is starting soon is doing okay xx

Hellesbelles

Welcome Jan & Ruth!
Tinker bell well done you for trying the ice gloves and slippers, I cannot stand cold feet and hands so well done.Eliza I hope the 'tomato ' look is wearing off and you are ok now. Meash I've not been offered a heart scan ? Is this standard, perhaps it's after treatment for some?
Ladies who are a bit anxious about the injections they are fine , I started mine on day 3 of treatment (saturday). I have injected previously after my csections so wasn't worried. It's a tiny needle and doesn't hurt.
I had an appointment for a wig fitting on Monday ( just in case), it's £68 with my hospital, it was actually really nice, but I'm hoping the cold capping will work, I've got my eye on a nice hat too ! 🤠
Moonstruck

Hi Meash

That's a shame that your first session was a bit traumatic. I wasn't given any injections to do at home just a variety of drugs to take.  I was told that if I wanted to use a cold cap then to telephone the ward before hand and let them know as it takes a while to set up.  Different places work in different ways I suppose, and everyone's treatment is tailored to them.  I was also given a wig voucher and a list of local stockists - the staff at the salon I used are lovely.

Hope you are having a chance to rest and take it easy xx

Cartwheels

Hi Meash,

Not too many questions, it's all a bit overwhelming! I leanrt so much from this forum, it's brilliant.

The heart scan is normal procedure, I had mine the day before. My oncologist explained that the E drug can have an impact on the heart in the long term, so the ECG test just checks the heart is working normally and healthy. You should also have bloods taken. This is done before every cycle of treatment to check internal organs are all working ok. My nurse just took a small sample from a vein in my elbow.

The injections surprised me too! It's a medicine (mine's called Zarzio) that helps the white blood cells get back to normal, which helps our bodies fight infection. It's just one a day for five days after treatment. It's a small syringe, all readymade in a pack you keep in the fridge. It's a very fine needle and I have just have to inject it in to my tummy (fortunately I have a nice roll of belly fat, so should be easy!)

They should offer the cold cap, as it extends the time you'll be in the chemo suite by about 3 hours and they need to plan all their patients. 

The actual drugs, FEC, took less than an hour to be administered. My veins are apparently good, and I'd drunk plenty of fluid in the morning and day defore - it you're dehydrated your veins can be harder to find. So, I just had a cannula in the back of my hand. I was given saline, then steroids, then FEC, then saline all through the same cannula. Felt a little odd in my arm - some are cold and some are warm when they first go in! The nurse will sit with you the whole time she is injecting the drugs. Very rarely, patients can have an allergic reaction, so the nurses are super vigilant.

So, an hour to get cap fitted and get yourself sorted, an hour for the drugs, and then another couple of hours to finish off cap and go through all the drugs you'll be given to take at home. They also tell you what to look out for in terms of side effects and when to call them. So I was glad I had my notebook with me!

My experence was very positive. My mum came with me (I think she needed the reassurance just as much as me!) and we chatted, but it was quite sociable in the suite, so I would have been happy on my own too. I took a puzzle book and magazine.

I have steroid pills, anti nausea pills and the injections to take at home. As soon as I got home I wrote out my regime of pill popping for the next five days so I can keep track. 

Hope this is not too much information, but it really was a good experience for me.

I slept 9 hours last night, feel a but wobbly and bloated, but otherwise ok. Just about to have some breakfast.

Oh, and the E drug gives you bright red wee, straightaway! It amused me 😉

Cartwheels

Hi Meash,

Not too many questions, it's all a bit overwhelming! I leanrt so much from this forum, it's brilliant.

The heart scan is normal procedure, I had mine the day before. My oncologist explained that the E drug can have an impact on the heart in the long term, so the ECG test just checks the heart is working normally and healthy. You should also have bloods taken. This is done before every cycle of treatment to check internal organs are all working ok. My nurse just took a small sample from a vein in my elbow.

The injections surprised me too! It's a medicine (mine's called Zarzio) that helps the white blood cells get back to normal, which helps our bodies fight infection. It's just one a day for five days after treatment. It's a small syringe, all readymade in a pack you keep in the fridge. It's a very fine needle and I have just have to inject it in to my tummy (fortunately I have a nice roll of belly fat, so should be easy!)

They should offer the cold cap, as it extends the time you'll be in the chemo suite by about 3 hours and they need to plan all their patients. 

The actual drugs, FEC, took less than an hour to be administered. My veins are apparently good, and I'd drunk plenty of fluid in the morning and day defore - it you're dehydrated your veins can be harder to find. So, I just had a cannula in the back of my hand. I was given saline, then steroids, then FEC, then saline all through the same cannula. Felt a little odd in my arm - some are cold and some are warm when they first go in! The nurse will sit with you the whole time she is injecting the drugs. Very rarely, patients can have an allergic reaction, so the nurses are super vigilant.

So, an hour to get cap fitted and get yourself sorted, an hour for the drugs, and then another couple of hours to finish off cap and go through all the drugs you'll be given to take at home. They also tell you what to look out for in terms of side effects and when to call them. So I was glad I had my notebook with me!

My experence was very positive. My mum came with me (I think she needed the reassurance just as much as me!) and we chatted, but it was quite sociable in the suite, so I would have been happy on my own too. I took a puzzle book and magazine.

I have steroid pills, anti nausea pills and the injections to take at home. As soon as I got home I wrote out my regime of pill popping for the next five days so I can keep track. 

Hope this is not too much information, but it really was a good experience for me.

I slept 9 hours last night, feel a but wobbly and bloated, but otherwise ok. Just about to have some breakfast.

Oh, and the E drug gives you bright red wee, straightaway! It amused me 😉