cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Jo_BCC

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Hi KT23

If you need a good listening ear and some added support then the helpline team are here to support you, they're only a free phone call away, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2 0808 800 6000.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kt23, welcome! I will also be starting chemo next Tuesday and I am 29. We can hold virtually our 20-something hands (not long for me, but my mind stopped at 21, does that count? ;D) along the way! We do need to find a good book before then. Please please stay in touch!

Gabby, hope it all goes well with the onc tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. I'm sure it'll all look different and better once you've got a date to count down to.

Carmy xxxxxx

kt23

Hello ladies.

I am starting my chemo on Tuesday 13th (lets hope it lucky of me) and have read a few of your posts. I ave felt incredibly strong when i had my lumpectomy and having my results and being told i will need chemo. But now my nerves are starting to get the better of me, It probably just a age thing as i am only 23. I had a bit of an emotional brake down today to my mum, because its the unknown of how your going to react that scares me.

I have my pre assessment on the day i have my first chemo session so will be up Southampton hospital all day, so will have to make sure i take a good book 🙂

I was wondering what sort of medications they give you for the side effects and people experience of the cold cap as i am still unsure whether or not to use it.

look forward to hearing from you xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Sorry just found this site so hello. I am on my second chemo at Mount Vernon.

Angelherts - the nurses are very nice. I've been to both the chemo suite, which has proper leather seats, no beds etc (yep like a British Airways executive lounge - I wish) and the Marie Curie ward, which is like a proper ward with beds. They do explain that it's the logistics as to which one you end up in not "how you are"
If you can get the earliest appointment possible the better as it's lovely and calm in the mornings so you get lots of attention and time to ask questions with the nurses. It all goes a bit more pear shaped as it heads towards lunchtime
Oh btw the food is rank so bring your own sandwiches.

Beryl - FEC is a type of combination chemo drug. Do you know which chemo you are on yet?
With the cold cap, bring warm clothes, a very warm scarf to keep the cold off of your neck, a flask with hot drinks or send whoever you are bringing out to get drinks/food etc. I'm not sure you will be playing scrabble as you really do get cold all over!

Tips: FEC - I think the "F" is the one that stings (I think) so ask "which one stings" "I would like a heat pad before you put it in" - i.e. I have learnt to be b****y demanding!!!!!!!
The pre-chemo talk - I thought that this was going to be a nice chat/slide show but I ended up having blood tests/answering questions etc so ask what it involves
That's all so far.

pargayan

Hi Beryl
I had the Paxman coldcap and was told to take in a spray bottle like you use on your houseplants and a good quality natural hair conditioner. They then wet my hair and put on the conditioner before placing the cold cap on. Apparently the conditioner helps prevent the cold from drying your hair out.

FEC is three drugs - Fluorouracil (5FU), epirubicin and cyclophosphamide and is one of many cobinations of chemo treatment. FEC takes around 50 minutes to administer, but you are on a different treatment plan. It seems each hospital has a different take on things, strange considering they are all part of the NHS, also we are all individuals so have varying needs.

I too found it difficult before hand, when I first saw the treatment room I had a little weep. As time goes on you do start to accept the situation you find yourself in and it is amazing how we find the strength to get through it all.

Take care and good luck on the 13th
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening lovely ladies!
Well tomorrow is my day for seeing ONC and getting a start date, but having spent weeks reading all your posts the nerves are not quite at top level any more. You are some amazing people!
Angelherts - your SE's on top of SE's sentence made me laff loads! You so say how we are all feeling, and I have been finding myself doing the same. Try not to be afraid to talk to the nurses, Im sure they will be understanding when approached, and maybe their 'matter of fact' attitude is how they cope with such a job....you'll find some you will gell with better than others im sure. I found the BCN's didnt always say the things I wanted to hear when I was going through surgery, but I took the positives from the ones who did!!!
I didnt know you could do many repetitions of your arm exercises!!
Beryl - welcome! Im glad you have your sister as your goal that it is all worth it in the end and all will be well. Fantastic news about your doctor getting in touch! I doubt mine will!
Megsmum - Snap with seeing ONC tomorrow, Im 3 weeks post op so assume ill have to wait a couple more weeks to start. I hate this waiting!!
Pargayan - Glad it went calmly, isnt it so helpful to know that so many are going through the same and can post such upbeat and helpful things
Waiting too - Great advice on Asking for what you Need, this is our time, not a time to be coy.
Carolyn - as ever your posts make me smile, but explain the 'champagne' tabs??
Love to all who have started or are about to start, and remember to pamper yourself on your duvet days, I intend to!!
Love
Gabby

Parsnip

I found I didn't have much time for anything during the chemo itself, advantages of AC I think as it only took about half an hour to administer and a nurse was with me all through as it is syringed in. I was actually rather disappointed not to have time to do some reading, being a busy mum I was looking forward to putting my feet up for a bit! Time for that yet, I guess. My centre allows one person to sit with you if you want, they should tell you at the info session. Personally I'd rather sit and read rather than taking someone along but that's an individual preference.
I'm still tired and now have bad throat, corsodyl is being broken out on advice of the chemo ward in hope it stems it, don't think running around for a ct scan helped things today.
So am hoping energy levels will return soon, only just over a week til my next dose, how is everyone finding that part, are you feeling 'normal' again yet?

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips, girls! Carolyn, I had to giggle at the thought of you munching Maltesers, looking around at a pleasant room wondering when was the nasty part and the drama gonna start. ^_^ That's nice your sister can go with you next time.

O o O 0 O <---- Extra doses of energy and love for anyone who needs it. ❤️

xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Carmy and Carolyn,

Wasn't sure if someone can sit with you or not, so I told my husband that once I've settled in he can go and come back about 5 hours later. They said I'd be about that length of time because I'm going to try cold cap treatment. They said it will take about 3 hours for the chemo to go through and the rest is for cold cap etc. If I can't stand the cold cap then it will cut down the time considerably. Drink plenty of water will be interesting because of going to the loo when you are having treatment. No doubt they have that covered to. I wonder if you can plug into the mains for battery life. Got an Ipod and I love playing Scrabble on that and it will help to pass the time, but the battery won't last that length of time. Take it with me and see what happens. My daughter is coming up to stay for a week after I've had my second session, assuming she is well and doesn't have any bugs. I have another daughter who lives in Sydney, Australia and we were due to go and visit at the end of March, which has had to be cancelled. She is planning on coming over sometime before (May) or after the Olympics because of flight prices. I'm going out to stock up on some of the items recommended to help me through this. What is FEC? Do all chemo patients need to give themselves injections?

Thanks again.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Carmy

No just turn up. My daughter came with me but I think that was more to do with the unknown more than anything. If your having FEC the nurse sits with you while the pink one goes through, then it's just sit there. People did have others with them or were reading, one man next to me was on his pc. Sister is coming to the next one but to be honest I'll probably do the rest on my own if se's are like first it'll take a few days to kick in.

Just drink lots before, during and after is all I can say, in fact through mine I sat eating Maltesers!

Ps welcome aboard Beryl, you'll find plenty of advice here.

Hope this helps.

Love

Carolyn xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

"I have been told to just turn up for the chemo appointment and I don't need to take anything other than a book and music etc. Anyone got any tips on that."

I have been told to do exactly that as well next week. Those of you who've had a session already, did you regret not taking *something* in particular with you while you were there?

xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you to Megsmum and Waiting too for my first messages. I get so confused about all the different drugs and the abbreviations. There are so many ways of treating this. I have been quite calm throughout until I have to go to the hospital again and then I get so mixed up inside, just like everyone else I suppose. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure it's real and that I'm not just having a bad dream. Anyway, once I have had the first lot of chemo and start to get through it then I will feel that's the first hurdle of four. I know some lovely ladies that have been through this over the last 20 years and are doing fine, so there's no reason that we shouldn't be the same etc. Everyone so far at the hospital and related services have been wonderful. My GP who you can never get to see, unless you know that you are going to be sick two weeks in advance, contacted me and requested a one to one. He was so nice and wanted to make sure that I understood everything that was going on. Of course I gave him an update and I went away feeling a bit more postive about my local surgery. Time will tell if I have to contact them for anything relating to this. I have been told to just turn up for the chemo appointment and I don't need to take anything other than a book and music etc. Anyone got any tips on that. I have read the chemo tips on BC site which is quite lengthy.

Thanks again for responding - it's a great help. XX

waiting_too

Megsmum, I think you’ve seen by now how much we all understand that the waiting is difficult. I built up this big fear and it was only after talking with the Dr’s and getting familiar with the hospital environment that my fears began to subside and on the day I didn’t feel a think, nor the next day – which gave me an enormous sense of relief. I did feel SE’s after day 4 but I was determined not to discount the enormous hurdled I had just crossed and I hope you will remember to pat yourself on the back too. If you can take big Long Deep Breaths, blowing out all the nerves and really empty your lungs – it helps relax your body.

Angelherts – Wait a cotton pickin’ minute ☺ You are NOT a neurotic lady you are a woman with a serious illness that you are living and fighting through…. You are therefore a heroine.
It saddens me to hear how you’re feeling self conscious (and I know cause I usually do too) about speaking to the Dr’s but I think something inside my head has snapped and I’ve just gritted my teeth and found a new motto ‘ ASK for WHAT you NEED’. So if you need reassurance on a symptom that is real and you are experiencing, then ask for it. I may even get a t-shirt printed. Maybe we could all help one another to speak up when we need to. ☺

Very big welcome to Beryl and virtual hugs to the rest of the ladies.

Clare

pargayan

Hi All
1st day yesterday and I was remarkably calm which I can only put down to reading all your experiences.

For those thinking of using the cold cap, I had it on 30 minutes before my chemo and then had the chemo drugs starting with the E from FEC (cant remember its proper name but it is red). The cold cap was left on for 1.5 hours after the E was finished. To start with it was really cold but after about 10 - 15 minutes I did not feel it on my head anymore. I had to ask or a blanket as the back of my neck was really cold. I did start to get a cold headache on my forehead towards the end and have to say I was glad when it was removed. Overall I was at the hospital for 4 hours, will see how much I lose in the 3rd week before deciding if I am going to continue with it.

Re wigs - I have got 'Megan' on order as they did not have my hair colour, should be collecting it Thursday.

Re SE apart from tiredness and a watering mouth, I have not had any yet and slept reasonably well.

Now going for a little doze before tea.

Take care everyone and love to all xx

megsmum

Hi Beryl, welcome to the gang :-). I, m seeing onc tomorrow so hopefully will be starting chemo soon. I,ve found some brill advice on here.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies,

May I join your March thread? I posted a comment earlier but I don't know what happened to it because it hasn't appeared! Anyway, I'm due to start my chemo on Tues 13th March and will be having 4 sessions in all. They are going to give me Cyclophoshamide and Docetaxel (Taxotere) which all sounds very scarry when your read the fact sheets and poss' side effects. My cancer was picked up by a routine mam on 17 Nov last year. Had a recall for further tests via ultra sound and biopsy. More or less knew that they were going to tell me it was cancer, because my identical twin went through this 20 years ago and then had another one after 10 years. Pleased to say she is fit and well and is an inspiration to us all. My lump is 21mm in total, which just puts me into the chemo bracket and is a level 3 HER+. My lymps are clear and the Ochologist stated that having the chemo would give me moderate benefit and every chance etc. Getting my head around it is another thing and I have spent all morning reading your messages to each other, which has been a great help. I know in the coming weeks/months it would help me to express my feelings this way and get support. My husband and family are all wonderful and very supportive. My twin lives in the USA and we can speak everyday which will also help. I have been to Headstrong and will be seeing about a wig on Thursday when I go for my referal appointment. Also decided to try cold cap but I don't know how long I will be able to stand something ice cold on my head - time will tell.

Thank you in anticipation and my best wishes to you all.

Beryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon all

Well can safely say no bowel problems here, might even need to be careful as i think im going even more regular than normal ( trust me when I say I don't usually go on about bowels as much as this)

Joan it made me laugh if we all turn up in the same wig, better hope its not a windy day cause three of us chasing wigs across a blustery Lister car park would just be too much excitement.

Looks like hair wars breaking out with wig people and hospital advisors here then, but bugger I'm getting mine cut and I'll take advise from my hairdresser after all they know you best.

Angelherts you need to go to Hair to Wear trying them on us certainly different, and I went armed with what I wanted but that was quickly poo pooed! And as for being neurotic you're not we all worry and think things are bad because of the total unknown if this all.

Hopefully I'll feel more energetic tomorrow like you Joan only taken one lot of the magic champagne tablets so going to try to avoid taking any more. Just need to get some energy back now, sister in law visiting tomorrow so I'll have to make an effort rather than my last few lazy days.

I agree Lea you have to keep up to date with the posts or maybe we just all like a gossip, leave it too king and the pages have multiplied.

Not sure if anyone starting today but if so try not to worry too much. I'm now counting down to feeling better and my Headstring appointment which was confirmed today by letter.

Have a good afternoon, I'm off to do some more knitting.

Hugs to all

Carolyn xxx

ChoccieMuffin

For those of you with long hair, you might like to know about Little Princesses, a charity that uses British hair that is donated to make wigs for children with alopecia, often caused by chemo. Take a quick look at http://www.littleprincesses.org.uk and see what you think. If you have hair that is 8 inches long or more, they can probably use it. I sent my elbow-length hair and I found it helped to me to take back control just a tiny bit.

Small SEs to all.

CM
x

Care_N

Morning Ladies,

Joan, it would be funny if we had the same wig – Carolyn could have it too, she probably snaffled the last one! I’m choosing between 2 styles, a short one, and a bob both in a mid brown colour. We might not need our red carnations after all!

Megsmum, and others waiting, it is awful waiting for dates, I had to wait nearly 7 weeks following surgery (11th Jan) for a date with the Onc, so I can sympathise, but once I saw him I was given a start date 6 days later, so you’re right to spend the time getting prepared.

Supersue, hope you had a lovely birthday treat with your grandchildren!

Carmy so pleased you like your hair, bet it looks great.

Clare (Waitingtoo) I started the same day as you (29th) and I feel like I’m coming out the other end now. Still a little spaced out, but not nauseous, although I have still taken the dom perignon this morning, I might see how I get on without any more. Twinky, hope you are starting to feel better too?

Lea, I agree, it’s so good the read the posts, and they do keep me going. Thank you everyone! Hope you got on ok at the physio. I’m impressed, I haven’t driven anywhere yet, but it’s nice to think it wouldn’t be a problem today.

Mollie (Debbie) hope the seroma is going down. Good luck with your haircut, are you having it cut similar to your wig? That’s what the wig shop suggested to me, but I left it too late, as I won’t get the wig until next week, and will be losing it by then.

Angelherts, I've been assured thst it's fine to have your hair cut short, and the wignshop are going to be told not to advise people not to cut their hair, so just do what you feel comfortable with. Hope the SE's are easing.

Hope you ladies that started on Monday are not suffering, but hang in there, it does get better.

Carolyn, Joan and KC, I feel much better today (day 6), almost normal, so hope you will tomorrow. I know what you mean about putting off the housework – that’s the reason this post is so long! Think I might put it off a bit longer and make some “Go Cake” – I’ll let you know what its like.

Love and hugs to all
Caren

Guest user
Not applicable

Wow - what a lot of brave ladies ! Last time I was on here it was page 17 - must read more often.

Great to hear that most of you have mild SE's and lots of interesting news on wigs and hair cuts. I also called HairtoWare and advised to request a referral as my unit just offer a book to order from and not happy with that at all as bought 2 already from "Pictures" and they look hideous on me. They also told me NOT to cut my hair yet and never to shave head ! Disappointed as planned to get a much shorter cut before starting chemo as my hair is long and fine and I constantly pull it back into a clip anyway.

LEA - I will also be Mount Vernon - starting next Monday 12th March. How did you find them and does everyone have to do injections ?

Bit worried about SE's and the drugs for SE's causing more SE's (see if anyone can say SE more than me in a sentence). I went to Mount Vernon yesterday with SE's and I haven't even started Chemo yet LOL.

I am "just" 4 weeks today since WLE and ANC Op and from last Tuesday I came up in a rash (like pin pricks) all over both arms and shoulders and some on chest. Also had ear ache, shivers, glands under NON surgery armpit huge and tender and both boobs very tender.

Waited to see if died down but just got myself totally stressed and realised that our lives will never go back to "normal" now as we will always panic that unexplained things are cancer related. All my boob and armpit SE's this past week were identical to the ones I had when I found the cancer.

Anyway, Onc saw me and did a basic examination but couldn't explain what had caused it and isn't worried it's anything nasty. So my bodies attempt at getting a "sick note" to escape Chemo failed miserably and has probably got me labelled as a Neurotic woman. Onc and BNC were pleasant and professional but not overly friendly - so now I will struggle with informing them of any SE's when having chemo. It's such a fine line between being cautious and feeling like you are being a nuisance (even though it's first time I've asked for advice since Op 4 weeks ago).

Was told I am doing too many repetitions of the arm exercises as can't straighten arm and looks like cording. They suggest only try 3 of each, just keep doing them regularly but little and often.

HISTORYGIRL - how are you ? Hope yesterday went well for you and you are feeling relieved that treatment has finally started. Praying you haven't had any nasty SE's and are wrapped up warmly in your bed being spoilt by hubby - and cat. 😉

Loved the link to "My New Hair" - thanks for that. I will try ringing one of them near me as they say they will trim a wig for free so might be able to save one of the ones I bought off ebay after all 😉

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies, and a busy posting one as well

Everyone is sounding good and up beat, even though we all know how frustrating the waiting gets. I'm now on day 5 and just feel very tired. I've tried to be good and get up each day usual half eight but slept in today and just had good old All Bran for Brekkie. Must admit though Joan bowels are ok, but think I might have the bloody dreaded piles yuck yuck yuck!!

I think most of us agree that once you see the oncologist then visit suite it starts quickly and we all want to just get it over with.

I know what you mean Lydia about plans to clean house etc, but there always seems to be something to distract from the real jobs, like reading these posts etc.

Onwards and upwards and stay positive, loving all the sharing and advice. Think I need to try and sort out my Manuka honey now.

Love

Carolyn xxx

Patchit

Hi debh
Good to hear from you, hope you are doing ok now?

Hugs
Joan xcx

debh

Hi Lea,

I understand exactly what you are saying.

Deb xsx

mollie43

Hi megsmum,

Iam 5 and a bit weeks post mx supposed to start my chemo testerday but have hgad massive seroma problems.I am now starting 22nd, have had a pre chemo appt but have to go back on 19th for another.

Ican say i'm not looking forward toit one bit, iam having my hair cut this week and got my wig on friday it's all a bit scary.

Patchit

Good morning ladies, I haope you have all had a restful night and that the SE's have been staying away friom you. Keep up with the water drinking, it really does help although I know its a bit of a struggle sometimes! Remember if you are goping through a hard time, things will get better and you will feel stronger. Keep positive!

SuperSue, sounds like you are pretty much prepared now, you will soon have that first one under your belt!

Danigirl, welcome, I hope you have someone else to go with you to your appointment. Its actually all really fine, just lots of info but they do give you a printout aswell, (they did at my hosp anyway). I have been taking aloe juice everyday since I began, along with manuka honey. Cant drink it straight though!! Hope it benefits you, I really feel its helped me a lot in terms of energy boosting. Are you at Addenbrookes?

Well done Carmy, its great that you have had a positive haircut, I am really glad it wasnt as traumatic as you feared.

Megsmum, totally know how you feel!!

Lea, glad you are getting out and about a bit. Good luck with the physio, cording must be very uncomfortable on top of everything else.

Well, I am now on day 6. Have finished with the steroids, thank goodness, they kept me up all night. I had a great night sleep last night but feel a bit dozy still this morning. I guess I am going into my second week now so that's to be expected. My mouth feels like a builders bucket but it isnt painful as such. I started with the senokot last night but no results yet! I think I might go out for a walk later on, that may get things moving again if my bowl of prunes doesnt do the trick!

Have a good day ladies!

Joan xxx

megsmum

Hi i,ve been looking at head wear but not sure what to get yet, had hair cut ready, i,m at the dentist on thursday as i,ve cracked a tooth !!. I,m hoping the chemo unit will give me a list of items i might need, but trawling through the threads on here is helping. I,m going to make a list of questions to ask as i know i,ll loose the plot when i see the Dr 😞 i don,t mind admitting i,m terrified

lea

Hi,

Sometimes it's hard to believe all the positive comments on here - I know we all have a moan too - but everyone seems glass half full!

I drove to my local town centre yesterday and I knew it was too much so got a friend driving to physio (on cording) today.

Hope everyone has a good day.

p.s. I bought a couple of hats from Accesorize

chascat

Hi Megsmum

I had my second op on the 11th February and start chemo on the 19th March, was originally booked in for the 12th but as the unit is busy that day they delayed it by a week which is disappointing, like you I just want to start, sooner it starts sooner it finishes. Like Carmy has said might be helpful to start preparing for it by looking for scarves and hats etc, i'm doing all of that at the minute, and I also have had a dental check up to be on the safe side, I do keep saying i'm going to give the house a good clean but keep getting
distracted.........

Love and hugs to all

Lydia x

GeorgieB

I can understand that as well although am dreading chemo I just want to get it over with! I had my second op on 6th Feb saw the oncologist last Friday and got a phone call from the chemo nurse booking me in for my pre thingy for the 14th and chemo starting on 20th. I am worried though and so have made a Dr's appt for later today as my blood count was very low after the last op and although I was given iron tablets I haven't been very religious about taking them!

Guest user
Not applicable

Megsmum, I totally relate to the feeling of wanting to get started! I will be starting chemo 3 weeks after oncologist app, 6 weeks after surgery in my case, which is next week. Let us know how it goes tomorrow and what plan s/he has for you! I'm sure you'll start soon enough. In the meantime if you feel like it you can get all your thingies ready in preparation (head scarves, mouth wahes, etc.) 😘

megsmum

How long after seeing oncologist did you start treatment ? Ive got appt tomorrow and hope to get going asap, the waiting around is killing me I,m 4 weeks post mastectomy and 6 weeks post wle + an clearance. Cant beleive i,m saying i want to get started 🙂

waiting_too

Morning ladies, I have just enjoyed reading your posts. I started Chemo on 29th Feb and I feel as though I am through the worst of it for this session, just tired now.
darm laptop needs plugged in.... post later when I plug this contraption in... everything needs juice now and again.
Clare

Jo_BCC

Hi supersue,

I've put for you below the link to BCC's publication for Invasive ductal breast cancer which you might find helpful. If there's anything you need to ask then the helpline staff are here to support you on 0808 800 6000.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/invasive-ductal-breast-canc...

Hope this helps.

Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning, lovely ladies!

I can't remember either if somebody is starting today. If so, we'll be holding your hand! And those of you who have already started, I hope today is a good day for you. 😘

I went to have my hair cut yesterday, from almost-elbow-length (!) to pixie cut. And I have to say, contrary to my expectations... it wasn't traumatic at all! I even like it, and OH says he really likes it even more now. So that's another tricky step out of the way. 🙂

Sending a massive hug!

Carmy xxxx

Danigirl501

Hello all,

I start my first chemo on Friday 9th and will be trying the cold cap. My oncologist has told me that there would be no reason for me not to try it so if a woman of medicine says it's fine I'm fine with it too.

I joined Breast Friends and have met some lovely ladies who have been/going through the same journey and feel I've joined a sisterhood. One of the ladies I've met sells some beautiful head scarves, very colourful and I will be choosing a few just in case. I also have a wig voucher to use and have enlisted one of my sisters to come and choose one with me next week. The same lady that sells head scarves has told me about the benefits of pure Aloe Vera and how she took a capful of it each day whilst undergoing chemo. She said that the SEs were alleviated and helped her get through the whole process. I've bought a massive bottle and drinking it already!!

I have my pre-appointment on Wednesday and am disappointed my partner is in Cambridge the same day for work reasons, have been very tearful as he's been to every appointment so far.

I have DCIS Grade 2 ER+ and HER2-. CT scan also confirmed the cancer hadn't spread to the rest of my body as i have 1 lymph node that is affected.

Tomorrow I will be going to my Cancer Support Center for a complementary therapy as I've been told that this is very beneficial in keeping the mind positive for the journey ahead.

Take care and best wishes to all.

Guest user
Not applicable

EVening all, hope everyone that started chemo this week is doing well, i start 8th march, went for my pre-appointment today i at Christies manchester. Sat whilst my lovely nurse went through all the side effects with me, hoping my son (28) was taking all the info in as my head was not able to absorb, I did mention the pain i have had in my leg for last 6 months that is getting worse unable to lie on it and when i do get stuck the pain is unbearable , they offered to send me for a bone scan, but i decided to have an X-ray on it 1st hopefully its arthritis. Never mentioned the lump i have on my lower leg or on my hand as felt i getting paranoid.

Got a wig appointment for wednesday, bought i gallons of water and lucazade,
ginger and lemongrass cordial that is lovely.
Had hair cut short ready, going from long to very short i was worried the grandchildren would say something, but no i still got the same lovely greeting off them all on my birthday treat with them all yesterday.

Getting scared now found out today the exact cancer i have so off to read about
Invasive ductal carcinoma Grade 2 ER +ve HER2 1+

hugs to you all xxxx

Patchit

Hello Ladies

Hope you have all got on well today, thise that have had their first treat. Have a good night, drink plenty of water and take your meds. Hope you have tiny SE's!

Clare, I am not on Emend, have been taking Domperidone. I had something else for the first day, but am not sure what that was now. Hope you ar feeling better today.

Rae hope you got on well at the hospital today and that you get your date for treatment soon.

Ahh, Carmy, that is lovely of your friends to give you that support. Hope the hair cuts are all lovely!!

Lea, so sorry to hear of your problems. Hope you haev settled down with everything now. I am sure you will deal with the hair thing in your own time. I have found that the more I have thought about it,the more I have got used to the idea. Not looking forward to it all, but if I can try to have a bit of control with wigs / scarves preparation it might help me to feel better about it all.

I have now started on my injections which my OH is doing for me. I am such a wuss! All this other stuff I am going through and I couldnt possibly give myself a jab! I am also necking the prune juice but no effects yet!

Caren, I wonder if we have ordered the same wig! Mine also wont be here for 7-10 days. Cant remember what it is called though! I have ordered a scarf today from suburban turban and a sleep hat. Still wiating for my bra to arrive, still having to wear my softie and have my prosthesis sitting in a box taunting me!!

Georgie, glad you have your dates confirmed, you will be leaving limboland soon!

Carolyn, I have to say that I really felt better yesterday after going for a walk. We were out for abut an hour and I got soaked in the rain. It did the trick though and I felt better for going out.

Is anyone starting tomorrow? I can't remember that there is, but if so, hope it all goes well for you.

Hugs and xxx

Joan xxx

ChoccieMuffin

If you can't face normal water, try the flavoured water you can get. It's not as sweet and sticky as squash.

Good luck ladies, hang on in there.

GeorgieB

Finally got my dates and I start chemo at Wycombe Hospital on March 20th. Will order the Manuka honey and get ginger nut biscuits in!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies

Sorry to hear of some of your problems. Hopefully you're now safely tucked up back at home Lea, I too felt a little shaky today but keep putting this down to tiredness. Like Joan I too felt shattered yesterday and not done very much today just feel sick and listless! just munching on ginger nuts now trying to calm tummy but must admit I'm struggling with the water today, on the yucky side have been to toilet but can feel the tingling piles pain like being pregnant again.

Well I'm going to get my hair cut as usual on Wednesday, it's relatively short anyway so I get it cut every 4 weeks so I'll do just that as usual. Havn't tried scarves properly yet, maybe I'll wait for my Headstrong appointment. Had my daughter round for lunch today and wore my wig and thankfully she said it looked no different to my normal hair, apart from looking like it had been coloured which I do every now and again anyway.

Thinking of you ladies who started today and we remember we will get through this together.

Winge and moan over for now.

Love to all

Carolyn xxxx

Care_N

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are all feeling well.

I had a really strange day yesterday, didn't have the energy to do anything. Feel a bit better today but I too feel shaky Rae, and just fed up of feeling constantly queasy. I think I'll be asking for stronger anti-sickness drugs too Clare.

I went for my scarf appointment today - Jasmin said the wig shop are going to be told that they have to stop telling people not to cut their hair, it's not correct, as CM already confirmed. The appointment was good, but it really started to feel real and quite scary when I saw myself in headscarfs, even more so than wigs. I've got a few scarfs though, and lots of advice on how to tie them. Might be just as well as my wig won't be here for 7-10 days, and I could have lost a lot of my hair by then. It has started to feel "tingly" already.

I have a real craving for toasted crumpets with butter and cheese - just typing it makes my mouth water! I don't think anything has ever tasted better! I've eaten them all now, so have to send OH shopping, I haven't got the energy. I never had cravings or morning sickness when I was pregnant...

Nannyjack, Pargayan and Historygirl, I hope everything went really smoothly today, and hope you have an SE free night. Everyone already started, I hope your se's disappear completely and we all start to feel "normal" again soon!

Love and hugs to all
Caren
xxx

Parsnip

Lea, sounds like you've had a nightmare weekend, hope the SEs of the meds are easing now, not surprising you're feeling shaky. I'm tired and not up to much (well nowhere near as normal) and fortunately have some childcare help.
Hope the cold cap works for you. I have very fine hair too and the wigs just feel so big, unfortunately I was told the cold cap wouldn't really help me because of the intense dosing so I'm set with hats and wig but not really ready to lose what little locks I do have.
Hope everyone starting today is getting on ok, we're all thinking of you

lea

Hi all,
I had my first FEC on Friday, the cold cap was the most difficult part but I persevered only hope I reap the benefits. unfortunately the meds for the SE gave me SE's and I ended at at A & E on a drip etc. I wasn't happy because Mount Vernon, where I get my chemo, don't have A&E I had to go to a different hospital, and as a consequence had two ECGs in one day!!
I should have kept up with posts, Parsnip, as I don't get any sick pay in my job and went up to the Vidal Sassoon academy in London to get a cheap cut - a free one would have been better. I haven't looked at scarves, wigs etc in complete denial - guess I'll face that when I get to it. Don't know why I'm bothered really as I have really fine hair which I got chopped short and it looks pretty awful!

Di, I too wear contact lenses and have asked about the dry eyes which can occur but haven't been able to find anything out as yet.
I am very shaky, not sure if this a continued reaction from my SE +SE, does anyone else have this?

did my injection today, it's really easy, although my son is diabetic so I am used to injections (on him, though). but I didn't dare be pathetic as he injects about six times a day!!

sending positive energy

Lea

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies

Love to all Of you Historygirl, Paragyan and Nannyjack, starting today, the actual procedure is fine, and it looks as if tiredness etc kicks in a few days later, just remember take those anti sickness tablets.

Thinking of you Rae and fingers crossed you start as soon as possible.

Again good luck to anyone getting hair cut or wigs sorted, must go and put mine on soon as my daughter coming over to look.

Wishing all a great up beat week, and with us all behind each other we can do this.

Hugs to all and remember to keep posting

Carolyn xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Rae, hope it all goes well at the hospital today and that you get to know more about your treatment.

Caroline and Clare, wishing you have a better day today. Sending hugs and energy your way.

Waiting, I'm sure you look lovely with your new hair cut. I'm getting mine today and two of my friends are coming with me and getting it cut just as short as me - bless them.

Carmy xxx

raechi

Hey All,

I'm just catching up on posts after the weekend. I see we have some newcomers to our March group - so welcome 🙂

Carolyn and Clare - sorry you werent feeling great. Sending you a virtual hug. I do hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Carmy - still no date yet for my chemo. I may know more today as i am back at the hospital. They want to wait until i have had my sentinel node biopsy (thursday) and have it heal before i start chemo. They said about 2 weeks after surgery, so i am guessing it will start the last week in March.

Thank you to everyone for the good wishes. You really are a fabulous bunch of ladies!

Love to all,

Rae
x

waiting_too

Good luck to History girl getting her 'swamp juice' today.
I've been offline, Saturday was a low day for me and I just took Sunday to do nothing but rest and recuperate. I realize I hadn't had a day resting since the very first biopsy so no wonder I was knackered.
I want to see fi I can get stronger anti-nausea drugs, but I bet we all say that.
I get Emend in a 3 pack, can't we have that for longer?

I got my hair cut short Friday, really short. The kids and friends like it. Say it takes 10 years off me. I don't find it upsetting just different. I think the hair loss will be upsetting because its not 'normal'. Its not something we consider... As I've written before, all being well we'll have a 'hair today, gone tomorrow' party in my garden to shave my head and help 'normalize' the experience for me and my kids.

I must get a wig sorted out this week.

hugs to you all,
Clare

pargayan

Thanks Joan, can't say I am looking forward to it but having read the comments by all who have started before I am not quite as anxious (tonight at least) not sure what tomorrow morning will bring, I suspect lots of trips to the loo!

Think I will also have to get some manuka honey and aloe vera juice.

Good luck to those starting tomorrow and hope those who have started continue to have few problems.

Love to all

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the manuka honey tips! I checked your advice and found placing the order on Amazon the cheapest and most convenient option for me (living in Spain).

Hope you all have a good week. In mind with those of you starting this week. We can do this, ladies! ((hugs))

Carmy xxxxx

debh

Hello Ladies,

Good luck to all starting chemo this week, and for those starting any other treatment. Will be thinking of you all. We can do this.

Deb xx