1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

EBHippo

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Thanks for all the hand holding and support last night - yesterday was definitely my down day. Got some capsules for mouth thrush from GP and after taking just one the furriness has gone and today for the first time not feeling at all sick so going to try and not use anti sickness meds [fingers crossed on that one]

Actually went to bed last night and slept for 10 hours so the world looks a lot brighter place this morning, have even got up and cleaned the cooker and got the washer spinning away merrily. I will be shattered by 12 so reckon by then I have earnt a session on the sofa with a movie or a good book.

Sending hugs, prayers and thoughts to you all that are on this roller coaster with me x x x x

mollie43

Morning ladies,

Firstly hope all goes well for anyone starting today.

Wintersocks and gabby i will be starting with you next week 22nd hopefully after a two week delay because of my seroma.I am seeing the oncologist monday to get the all clear.I just want to get going now seems like along time since my mx.

All you ladis that have already started are keeping me going it doesn't seem to be as bad as i imagined.

I am going to try the cold cap , but have already got my wig if it doesn't.

Big hugs to everyone debbie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies

Wow a busy time for all, loads of posts to catch up on.

Oh dear Choccie you never fail to keep spirits up, the thought of hair loss is bad but then with a light hearted twist you mention the Brazilian, I did laugh. Actually you may be able to answer a question, chemo 1 was okish for me but did you find it got harder or that se were worse the further along you went.

Hoping Supersue, Jackie, Beryl and EBHippo are feeling ok today and sending love to Megsmum and Poppy for today.

Hoping those feeling down are better today, like everyone says there's good and bad days along this road, and Deb this place is here to rant and we all know exactly what you mean.

Thinking of you today with MRI Gillian, at least it's not painful just a little noisy and long.

Wishing everyone a good day, halfway through another week, and another week nearer getting life back.

Love and hugs

Carolyn xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone,

Priority message first to Kika-k, Poppy, and megsmum and I just wanted you to know that I will be thinking of you. It really isn't anything to get worked up about having your first one. They explain everying, and don't be afraid to ask (Waiting too's motto). I did yesterday and came away with sleeping tablets, and two types of anti-sickness. A strong one and standard. They will take great care of everything and make sure your comfortable. Ask for a heat pad for your hand if it gets cold, they gave me one automatically and it helps with drugs going through. Cold cap wasn't anywhere near as horrible as led to believe. Try and get distracted by talking to people next to you, assuming there's someone there. Nurse will talk to you till you feel hapy with, and it soon settles down. Would advise you to take something to put on your head when you come out because your hair will be quite damp and you don't need to get a cold.

Had my meds last night and sleep tablets - overall the night went OK and managed to get to sleep inbetween the loo runs, all that water I was drinking yesterday. Started todays marathon but I'm sure it helps a great deal. Don't want to put the mockers on anything but I have not felt any nausea/sickness yet, fingers crossed and touch wood. Little woolly in the head, may be the sleep tabs/chemo together doing this. Mouth is slightly tender and a little bit of a taste but nother awful. If I can get through today with no S/E other than that then . will be more than pleased. Tomorrow they start my first of 8 injections and we will see what that brings along to the game.

Debh - I doesn't hurt to rant if it helps to get it out of your system. None of us wants to be going through this but it's necessary. If my twin had said that 20 years ago then she wouldn't still be with us. When I was diagnosed and I had to tell her it was one of the most awful this to do. You know what she said to me? Be positive, this is beatable and take everything they want to throw at you, even chemo. She should know having been through it twice. Don't give up and we are all here to get you through as much as we can. Virtual hugs, kisses and a few tears if it will help. Only a few mind then chin up and it's another day. We have to take each day at a time until we get to the last treatment and onto recovery. That's me finished ranting (nicely).

Wintersocks - Hope everything goes well with your MRI today and won't belong before your chemo. Will be thinking of you.

Liz - Do hope your tongue and mouth are feeling a little better today and the medication they are giving you isn't too bad. I keep looking at my tongue now. Drinking pleny of water so it may help in the long run or maybe not, fingers crossed. So much for everyone to think about and get through.

Off now to the loo, all this blooming water. Oh, and I must get washed and dressed. Can's stay in PJ's and dressing gown all day if I'm feeling OK, whoops shouldn't have said that!

Message you all later.

Beryl XX

PS. Any news from our other ladies who had chemo yesteray?

Patchit

Morning ladies

I have been trying to find out about recyling bra's. I wanted mine to be of some use to someone else and/or raise funds for charity if possible. Yorkshire Air Ambulance have a campaign running which I have the details of (not sure if I can post the details on here?). They don't have the details on their website anymore as they have just started a new campaign for shoes but I have the phone number and address if anyone wants them. They sell the bra's on, which are then shipped to Africa.

Hoping you all have a good day
Joan xx

chascat

Hi Deb

I think you feel how we all do and most of the time we plod on regardless, but some days are just so much harder than others to deal with and we have enough of it dominating our lives. Some days you will just want to cry, i've been like that for a few days and am totally peed off with it, I want my old life back. You'll get through it, as will we all, as Twinky said, hopefully with more appreciation for the life we have.

Take care

Lydia x

Lucy_BCC

Hi deb

If you want to offload our helpliners are here to support you lines open at 9am on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Deb.....massive hugs. None of us want this rollercoaster but we hold on tight & hope that going through all of this gives us back more time & gets rid of the bugger that dropped a bomb into our world. It's a horrible ride but made more bearable with the help & support of others on here that know exactly how you feel. We even laugh along the way at our misfortune & if I'm honest I think we appreciate life more afterwards & stop taking things for granted. Not an easy journey by any means but you're not alone. Take one day at a time. Find enjoyment & light relief where you can & have a good moan here when things aren't do good x

Take care

Twinky x

debh

Hi Ladies,

Hope you dont mind but I want to rant.

I am feeling so depressed, cant stop crying despartley want to get off this rollercoaster but it wont stop. This lot stinks I have so had enough.

Sorry to go on but I needed to do that.

Good luck to everyone starting chemo today and here's wishing you minimal se's.

Love Deb xxx

poppyD

Hi

Thanks for your best wishes everyone, i am off for my first chemo at 10 00. scared stiff but gotta be done.

Hope everyone is getting good symptom control and lots of love and support.

Are any of you using cold cap gonna give it a go but dont know if i will tolerate it if not have bought a buff ready

here goes

love poppy x

megsmum

Just want to wish the Ladies who like me are starting today Good Luck, mine is 1pm and at the moment i feel quite calm although that will probably change. Xx

ChoccieMuffin

Liz, sounds like you might have picked up a bit of a fungal infection, if your tongue's all white. Nystatin or similar anti-fungal stuff should knock that on the head pretty quickly, but it's very uncomfortable while you've got it. Sadly, it's not uncommon to pick up oral thrush while on chemo, so you might want to make sure you have some more of the meds available for next time, just in case.

Night all.

CM
x

Parsnip

Just a quick note to send hugs to those that need it tonight, I hope you find strength and support to get you through the dark moments. Good luck to those lovely ladies starting tomorrow, will be thinking of you and wishing your SEs be tiny.
Xx

wintersocks

I think I have already posted, but can't find it. Hello to all chocciemuffin, gabbylamb, Joan, and Lydia. also anyone else who is a March chemo.

My name is Gillian (Wintersocks). I am just saying night to all, I am off to Huddersfield for an MRI tomorrow, so staying overnight at my partners.

I am counting down to chemo start 23 @ 11. Gabby I know yours is 22nd. I think you should be my chemo buddy, but will be following you!

night all.

Gillian X

debh

Hi Ladies,

Sounds like we are all having a bit of an emotional time at the minute, here is hoping the sun comes out tomorrow and we all feel a little bit better.

Good luck to all those starting chemo this week.

Thinking of you all

Debxx

chascat

Evening all

Gabbylamb and Liz, i'm very tearful at the minute too and have yet to start chemo, just fearful for the future and needing reassurance.

Poppy, Kika-k and Megsmum, thinking about you tomorrow, go and kick some BC butt.

CM, love the brazilian on the NHS!

Joan, i'm with you on the hair, everything below the nose will be ace - if only!

Love to all

Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all you lovely ladies, been reading your messages from today and send all my hugs and support from the not so sunny East Coast. Had my meds for tonight, anti sickness and sleeping tablet. So I'm going to sign off for today, try and read until hopefully feel drowsy and go to sleep. That's what I'm hoping for. For everyone that has been feeling down and a bit under the weather then we all hope for a better day tomorrow for you. As for eyebrows, I don't have much in the way of brows, due to over plucking in my early youth. Shouldn't have let my work colleagues persuade me to touch my otherwise normal brows. Ah well, the folly of youth.

Night, Night and here's hoping no SE's for all.

Love

Beryl XX

poppyD

hi everyone

thinking of you all

hope those who have had their first cycle found it more bearable than they imagined

good luck megsmum and kik k for tOmmorrow and of course anyone else who is staring tommorow we can do it I am terrified but I guess thats normal
keep in touch

love to all you loveley ladies
love poppy x

Patchit

Georgie, how funny! I am actually looking forward to those hairs falling out, it will save me chopping them off (yes, I do have one or two unfortunately!).

Supersue, big hug to you, hope you have a better night xx

No, CM, I was not going to get them all waxed off! Ha ha! bad enough l;osing them without helping them on their way! Its just the ones underneath that I usually have done. I hope I retain a few like you did, I think the eyebrow loss will be worse than the head loss! I have got a pencil to use, so hope I can master the art of dot-to-dot! I also wil be really happy if the ladygarden falls out. In fact, everthing below my nose can disappear!

Liz, big hug for you too! Just a suggestion, have you got a tongue scraper? My hygienist suggested I use one, which I have been doing. You can get them from boots or any chemist and they are only a couple of quid. Might help the tongue problem. Hope you sleep well. xxx

In fact, group hug for everyone! Some emotional ladies on here tonight. Be strong, stay positive, things WILL get better!
Joan xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Liz,

sorry you're feeling so down and I know how you feel about the tongue - mine's odd today too but I haven't spoken to the dr - did yours have anything useful to say.

I've been eating pineapple - seems to help but then a friend turned up with an easter egg and I've polished that off and feel quite sick - nice though but won't help to keep the pounds off while I'm sitting around doing so little!

I potter around a bit and then feel totally cream crackered for an hour or so.

I forced myself to walk to my local shop earlier - I've got this fear that I'll start to feel so safe at home I don't want to go out into the big wide world so making myself venture outside every day!

It does turn your world upsidedown for sure!

I hope everybody gets a really good nights sleep - the days always seem so much easier afterwards don't they?

Jackie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Liz, hugs hunny. Strangely, as I havent even started chemo yet, I had a tearful day too and wanted to run away from it all. I cant imagine how I will be next week.

You will get through, and better days will come, sun comes out and makes us all feel better, and your friends on here will get you giggling again with their strange tales of boob pictures on lost mobiles, wigs, and brazilian waxes!!

God bless and you will be in my prayers tonight

debh

Hi Liz,

Sorry you are feeling so off, things will get better, what did dr say about your tongue?

love and hugs

Deb xxx

EBHippo

Evening Ladies
Had yet another night on the sofa last night, find I still get quite nauseaus if I lay down. Quite tearful today, think it is finally sinking in, dont want to play this game any more...

Seem to be ok during the day [ish] but as soon as it starts to get dark the sicky feeling starts, day 6 today and tongue all white and furry so had to get some pills from gp, hope that sorts it. Is it just me or does the indigestion kick in after eating anything, gee I am whinging - just need a good nights sleep and will probably feel much better.

Love,hugs and prayers to you all, hopefully the sun will be shining tomorrow and the giggly me will be back - Liz xxxx

ChoccieMuffin

You might not lose ALL your eyebrows. Mine definitely got very thin and sparse, but there were enough of them left to show me where I needed to colour them in with eyebrow pencil. I didn't bother with this expensive stuff, just a bog-standard one from Boots did the trick. So as long as the waxing is just the stuff underneath that you would normally pluck and not the ones you normally keep, there shouldn't be any problem at all. DON'T try taking them all off, you want to hang onto the ones you normally keep as long as possible!

Oh, and by the way, don't be terribly surprised if one of the first signs you see of your hair falling out is the free Brazilian courtesy of the NHS... I have to admit that came as a REAL surprise when it happened! But I was left with about 20 hairs across the top that just hung on in there. Weird.

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening all, hope you all had a good day, i slept most of it after having a terrible night of stomach cramps.
OH on nights so i was alone, went cold and ended up in bed with fluffy PJ's fluffy socks and fluffy nigh gown under the blankets and still shivering, feel a bit better today, but not had a poo, so much for senacot everyday.
Hoping that was the worst effect i going to get as been ok unto then.

group hugs to you all xxx

GeorgieB

I had my eyebrows waxed by a Chinese lady who then pointed under my nose and asked me if I wanted that waxed! I was most put out as as far as I know I have no hair there!
No Debbie I live near High Wycombe - I went to Nicola Jane the mastectomy shop. They were really nice - almost to nice!
Chemo bag is just water?? And when the day before do we need to start drinking it. I am planning on going to see the David Hockney in London with a friend and I am already envisaging looking for a loo every 5 minutes!

Patchit

PS does anyone know if its ok for me to have my eyebrows waxed? I know they are going to fall out soon, but at the moment I have little hedgerows sprouting underneath them!!
Thanks
Joan

Patchit

Hello Marvellous Marchies

Day 13 for me. Feel fine now, just had a little nap this afternoon, but I am hoping that I will stay ok now till my 2nd treat on 22nd. I went in to work again today for a few hours, as I will do tomorrow, but then I am having Thursday and Friday holiday. I have a headstrong appointment on Thursday and thought I would stay out and have some retail therapy. Friday I am meeting a friend in Cambridge for the day.

Carolyn, I probably won’t see you on Thursday as my appointment is at 10. I am seeing Claire (BCN) at 11, but I should think I will leave before you arrive for your headstrong. Caren, our paths will probably cross, so I will have my carnation on, but its deep pink rather that red!

Rae, sorry you haven’t got your date yet, I know how that feels, very frustrating!! Hope you are put out of your misery soon!

Welcome Peanut!

Jackie, things definitely seem worse in the night! Glad you got through it ok.

CM, thanks for another great informative post! As ever, lots of info and helpful advice.

Marie, hope you are still feeling ok? I also had the red face and looked like I had sat in the sun for too long!

Beryl, glad you got on ok today, hope the other ladies who started today are doing well too. Keep up with the water and don’t take the steroids too late!

Georgie, its fine to go to your pre-start appointment alone. They just go over the procedure again and potential side effects and you have a blood test. At my hospital they gave me a print out of all the information which I found really helpful to refer back to. I am sure its fine for your friend to go with you for your first treat. Sorry to hear your OH can’t go with you. I guess you will just have to see how you feel when you get back home. I was ok, just felt nauseous, so my OH did go out in the afternoon after we got home (my treat was in the morning, I was home by 1pm). Don’t get me started about mastectomy bra’s! I have just bought one but need to get another one (at least!). Its so expensive, just completely starting again!

Good luck to Megsmum, Kika-k, Kojak and Poppy (not sure if yours is tomorrow Poppy?) for tomorrow, sure you will all be fine, hope you sleep well tonight.

Hope you all have a good night and the SE’s keep away!

Hugs
Joan xxx

Beryl, just seen your latest post, so glad you are feeling ok xx
My real name is Joan and I too, hate my name!!!!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

For ladies starting tomorrow and later on this month, I just want to say that it was no problem at all in the chemo unit. Nothing to be afraid of and the cool cap was fine. OK, it's a bit in of a shock when they put in on full freeze but distract yourself or get someone to do it for you, nice person sitting next to you will be willing to talk, even the nurse. After the first few mins you hardly notice you've got it on. Here's hoping it works, nurse said that I will know just before next dosage if it's doing OK. If not then I've got a wig and nice scarves, it's not the end of the world. Lady next to me had lovely hair and I commented, she told me it was a wig and I would never have known. Cold cap didn't work for her but she didn't have a problem with that.

Hope to hear from the other ladies who had treatment today, and how they got on as well. Still drinking masses of water, going to the loo and so far all OK. Hope it's not the lull before the storm. If I can get through tonight with anti sick and sleep tab I will be happy. Tomorrows another day - now where have I heard that said before?

Love to all - I will try and comment more individually when I have had time to read all the latest posts.

My real name is Beryl, not that I want to bragg about that because I hate my name.

mollie43

Georgieb are you local to chicester? where are you having treatment? When do you start, i am near portsmouth start my chemo at QA on 22 march delayed two weeks because of massive seroma, going back to see onc next monday. debbie

GeorgieB

I have my pre chemo appt tomorrow to which I am going to by myself - I hope that will be okay. My husband was going to come with me to my first chemo but we both felt it was a waste of his holiday as his work have been s....and are saying he has used a lot more then he says. A friend is coming with me instead - again I hope that will be okay!? - and do I need someone here when I get back?
Went to Chichester and bought mastectomy bras - what a waste of my money!
Love to all Georgie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening lovely March Hares!

Good news Joan about the injection thing, and oh how lovely your OH said such positive things!

Wintersocks, firstly I dont think there is a problem with using our real names, if you are comfortable with it. Im with you all the way! Id love to be your chemo buddy, and we will keep each other going im sure.

Hoping you are ok Carmy, and the fears were calmed

Welcome to Peanut, glad you could join us!

Can understand you totally Jackie, I am living alone and think the panic could come in waves as time goes on

CM I love your posts and look to you as the Mummy of the group with all your sound advice, hope you dont mind!!

My BF has just told me he will be able to come with me to my first chemo session as his 'course' has been cancelled. I am over the moon, and cant tell you how much this means to me as he isnt very easy to open up to and can's deal with emotions especially in women!! He is lovely really, but we are from very different ends of the spectrum where emotions are concerned!

Glad all is well Marie, period pains I can definately cope with!!

What a lovely positive message Beryl! I so hope my day goes as well, and Id love some roses when I get home!! (not a hope !)

Thinking of you Megsmum, Im sure you will be fine too. I seem to be counting down the days now til I start as if it was an exciting holiday or something!!

Hugs to all! Just another 9 days for me til my first swamp juice. Phew!
Gabby

megsmum

Thanks for the update Beryl it was good to hear, its my turn tomorrow and i hope it goes as smoothly as yours seems to have, i,m def going to give the cap a try, i,ve just had a few tears when my daughter and her hubby left. I have told her not to come for a couple of days incase i,m toxic ! she,s 16 weeks pregnant with our 1st grandchild. I must remember to ask the nurse tomorrow
Hope you have a good nights sleep and no se,s. xx

chascat

Hi Beryl

so pleased that you didn't find the experience traumatic, that's a massive hurdle crossed. I start on Monday and everyone's postings have been so helpful, and on the whole not scary, the general feeling seems to be that the thought of it is far worse.

Well done, wishing you and all the other ladies a good night's sleep and minimal se's.

Love Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ladies I'm Home!

Don't know why but I didn't feel nervous going into the chemo unit. They gave me a relax tablet before starting my treatment and on went the cold cap. Now they way she does it is to put the cap on cold so you can get used to the sensation and then cranked it up. Of course when she did that I thought this isn't going to last long on my head. Two ladies, bless them, who were also having treatment said they were going to chat to me to distract my attention away from cold cap. Within 5 mins, no longer than that, I didn't have a care in the world. Cold cap for my next treatment if my hair stays on my head and not falling out in handfulls.

Chemo treatment was explained every step of the way and I had no S/E's whilst it was being administered. Have been drinking for England and sucking an Ice Pop now. Got an army of tablets to take just like everyone else and a District Nurse coming on Thurs' to administer the first of 8 injections. Asked for sleeping tablets and they have given me plenty of tablets. Also given me two lots of anti sickness - Ondansetron (strong) and Domperidone and I can take them together tonight. So come bedtime I will be drugged up to the eye balls. Don't care so long as they work. No too happy about the injections after reading some of your comments, will have to wait and see how they affect me.

All in all glad that my first one is under my belt and nothing to get worked up about before hand. Also put on my travel bands and had ginger biscuits and crystallised ginger to eat whilst in there. They gave me lunch as well. Tuna in brown bread, bag of crips and two cups of tea. Amazed that I only needed the loo once whilst in there.

Had some lovely cards deliverd at home and a really nice scarf from my elder sister and daughters. OH gave me roses and a special card. All of which reduced me to tears. So nice that we have family/friends who care so much. All these things give you a boost when you need them.

Let's hope that the other ladies starting today have good feedbacks for their treatment. Good night sleep on order with no sickness.

Love to all and thanks for support.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marie,

So glad you're not feeling too awful - I think the not sleeping thing is about the steroids - I finally slept well on night 4 when they were out of my system but taking them as early as poss is still a good idea.

I know what you mean about the period pains - seems ages since I had anything like it so a bit of a shock to the system! and my head feels very heavy somehow but all in all not as bad as I was expecting!

I'm waiting for my hair to start falling out now but hope it'll wait until next week once I've sorted a wig out!

Jackie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi first day after 1st chemo session. Have had no sickness, just a bit of nausea last night and what I would describe as period pains, but they have gone now ( hopefully will not return)didn't really sleep last night not sure if it was due to the steriods or SEs or the adrenaline from the day. Anyway feel quite good have taken the meds and drunk plenty of water, still have my appetite which is good.
I did have a re face but no temp so consulted ONC nurse who said that this was a side effected from one of the drugs and will resolve, just looks like I have caught the sun on it, it was just a side effect I wasn't told about so just sought advise
All those statring today and this week good luck.
J

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies

Sending lots of virtual hugs to you starters today. Like it's been said before the anticipation is worse than the actual procedure.

Welcome to you newbies it's fab to see our members growing.

Rae don't you have results from biopsy this week? Then hopefully you can start chemo, and if it is April you must still stay here with us as we'll only be a couple ahead of you.

As for OH's I feel as if it's a real test for them as well. I've only been with mine coming up for 3 years, and he's been amazing. He pampers me, watches what I eat ( he's better at the pregnancy diet than me and I've had 2 children!), and he's just there to reassure me. I'm going through a guilty stage at the moment. , I actually feel a butIOC a fraud, I'm not ill or sick, don't feel I'll and yet I'm a lady of leisure not something im used to. It's probably the enforced absence from work. You can quote me when I go back after chemo, and crave time off again.

Hoping antibiotics kick in Parsnip, and that second dose goes ahead as planned.

You're probably at hospital now Carmy, and can see it's not too bad. Look forward to hearing how it went Beryl, love and hugs to you both.

Fight off that cold with laughter Clare, and we will all keep fingers crossed cold decides to disappear.

Hello Peanut I'm also a January surgery buddie, so let's hope your treatment starts soon.

Hoping your feeling better today Jackie, I found the tummy went after about 5 days and now day 13 feel great.

Morning Choccie, thanks for your continued fabulous encouragement, I just know you'll have wise words when I hit moments of despair, probably around hair loss time.

Now you should be impressed Caren, I think I've remembered everyone and that's with phone to scroll through,
god it's hard work. Oh yes just had confirmation call for Headstrong, so may see you or Joan on Thursday.

Off to do some more knitting, before going to lunch at sister in laws, which OH is panicking about as he reckons I'll pick up bugs, but then it goes back to me not feeling I'll ( god its a vicious circle).

Love and hugs

Carolyn xxx

Love Carolyn xxx

ChoccieMuffin

Wintersocks, I have a similar thing with my lovely man. We don't live together but we've been "seeing each other" for 6 years or so, and it works for us. I went over to his house straight after every chemo, my teens farmed themselves out on friends for the weekend, and I just had a couple of PJ days. He didn't talk much, but then he never does. Just provided tea, coffee or squash or whatever I could face. And a rather disastrous cheese toasty after my first chemo, which turned me off cheese toasties for good - still brings back unpleasant memories and I used to love them!

Even if you just phone the helpline to say hello, that'd be a start. The people who staff it are very knowledgeable and often have personal experience of BC, so they're definitely "on your side". And you don't have to go into details with them, just as much as you can cope with. They've had the crazy sobbing lady on the other end of the phone, are happy to just listen if that's all you want.

Best wishes all. Now where is that Twinky, she was supposed to be seeing someone today about a sore shoulder.

Best wishes to those having first cocktails today. The fear is the worst, I reckon. I was in SUCH a state before my first one I couldn't even speak, but by the last one I was happily chatting to anyone who wanted to chat.

And Jackie, you KNOW what you'd do. You'd call the chemo unit and ask for their advice, and if they say to call an ambulance (seems a bit OTT but that's ok) then you'd call one and pack your toothbrush while you waited. Neutropenia's not that common, but it can be very serious if it does happen so it makes sense to be vigilant without being paranoid. Difficult, but possible.

Guest user
Not applicable

Well here I am again and good morning to you all, especially Peanut 1955 (Mary), and glad you've joined our thread along with all the other new ladies.

Will be leaving in about 10 mins to go to the hospital and have been drinking water like mad, keeping having to go to the loo though. Got everything ready, chemo bag and an over night bag, just in case because I'm such a pessimist! Phones ringing it's my twin ringing from the USA to give me some support and advice. She's a 20 year survivor of BC and truly an inspiration.

Now Mrs Brown's Boys - I actually love that and has me in stictches. Still got that saved on Iplayer, so will have to put it on if/when I feel down.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and support I will be holding your hands whilst I'm in there and my OH will be with me too for some of the time. They don't like visitors there all of the time because of limited space, which I can understand. He will still be in the unit and able to look in on me as and when.

Love to all.

Will message asap to let you know how things went.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone,

I've everything crossed for those waiting for chemo - I know that having had one I really don't want any delays going forward - I've got the plan in my head and know that if it changes it'll send me over the edge!

My daughter went home yesteday and I had a bit of a panic attack at 2 this morning when I woke up and felt very vulnerable and along - daft really as I've lived on my own for years but I think its fear of the unkown - how would I react if I suddenly develop a catastophic infection? Why does my onc use that word catastrophic? it frightens you just thinking about it!

Anyway it all seems better in daylight and apart from a dicky tummy I can't say I feel bad.

Have a good day ladies!

Jackie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
I am waiting for my start date for chemo, hope you dont mind if I join you. I have been reading all your posts and everyone appears to be doing really well. I was on the Jan 2012 surgery thread.
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone having treatments this week.
Mary P xxx

raechi

Good luck to all having treatment today. Sending you all big hugs.
I'm still waiting, at this rate I'll be having it in April! (and missing my lovely march ladies)

Love to all.

Rae
X

Patchit

Clare, how funny! Laughter is the best medicine! Thank you!

Big hug for all the ladies starting today, you will all be in my thoughts

Joan xxxx

waiting_too

Berly, Camy and all starting today - big hugs...

Parsnip I got my blood count yesterday and almost immediately afterwards a cold has started (the wee feckers know!) So I'm on paracetamol and hope, like you, it doesn't interfere with session2.

I find laughter good medicine I've been watching that comedy show Mrs Brown's Boys and notice I'm swearing a lot more than usual. So here's something to make you laugh...

Real things a court reporter has had to note down:

ATTORNEY: This myasthenia gravis , does it affect your memory at all?
WITNESS: Yes.
ATTORNEY: And in what ways does it affect your memory?
WITNESS: I forget..
ATTORNEY: You forget? Can you give us an example of something you forgot?

ATTORNEY: Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo?
WITNESS: We both do.
ATTORNEY: Voodoo?
WITNESS: We do..
ATTORNEY: You do?
WITNESS: Yes , voodoo.

ATTORNEY: Now doctor , isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep , he doesn't know about it until the next morning?
WITNESS: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

ATTORNEY: The youngest son , the 20-year-old , how old is he?
WITNESS: He's 20 , much like your IQ.

xxxoooxxx
Clare

megsmum

Good luck to all you who are starting today i,ll be thinking of you xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm starting today, like, in 3 hours. I was so calm after my relaxation session with my therapist yesterday, but today I woke up paralised with fear. Gonna try to listen to the mp3 she recorded with yesterday's session before we get ready to go to hospital.

All the other ladies starting today, hope it goes well for you. I'll be with you in my minds. We can do this together! See you around here when we are back.

All the ladies in between sessions, I wish you a nice Tuesday with almost no SE, so that you can do those nice things that cheer you up and distract you today.

(((group hug)))

Carmy xxx

Parsnip

Just a quick post to wish everyone starting tomorrow good luck. And to hope that everyone waiting finds some calm in this maelstrom of emotions, I find the waiting is the hardest part personally. For everyone between doses lets hope for health and high white cell counts and a few good days to enjoy before the next test.
Got some antibiotics for my throat today and keeping fingers crossed they can do their job before my blood test on Wednesday, really don't want a delay on Thursday with dose 2
Good night ladies
Xxx

wintersocks

To all March ladies, Gabby, Lydia.

Your kind words are such a comfort, if it wasn't for you all for sure I would be struggling a whole lot more, I know I should try to talk with someone from the helpline, but it feels so hard. I will see how I go and try to do that.

Gabby, It's funny how we 'test' our partners I relate to what you say, mine doesn't live with me (although I am going over to his t omorrow), he has been wonderful though. But I am aware that 1 person cannot shoulder all of this, so I am withdrawing a little and trying to spread it around, so far this site works best for me. you and I will be starting chemo more or less the same time, you 1 day ahead of me. Please let me know how you go.

Lydia, you sound so like me, I am terrified of medics as I had a previously undiagnosed illness for 10 years (the docs told me nothing wrong). I ended up really really sick and trying to care for a newborn (I have the Coeliac condition) a gluten allergy, I found it out myself in utter desperation..now that feels a walk in the park compared to this. But I guess I am just going to have to trust the medics this time, but it will be so hard. I wish the chemo to start now, but again, it's the waiting...

I know what you mean about our children, not being there for them is too too hard to contemplate but we must be positive if possible , but I think you have the right idea to get some counselling if you can, after all, this with us is very traumatic, and prof help might help.

I am aware that all the ladies here are with me and me with them my hands reach out to us all, not strong, quite shakey - but there.

P.s is it ok to use our real names?

WS

Patchit

Evening ladies

Hope you have all had a good day, those that have had treatment, I hope you have got through it with ease and the coming days are easy to cope with. Hope the SE’s keep away! I have had a good day today, seem thoroughly over the injection problems now and feel mostly back to normal. I am trying to eat plenty of fruit and veg as that can boost your white blood cells and I will try anything to avoid the injections next time!! Thank you all for your lovely posts and concern for me, its been really helpful to share my problems with you all and I appreciate your helpful advice and comments.

Beryl, glad you had a good day out today and you are keeping busy this evening. Tomorrow will pass soon enough, I am sure you will cope with the treatment and tomorrow evening you will have your first treat out of the way.

Marie, Janelle hope you got on ok today and you have few se’s. Keep drinking lots of water!

Kojak, good luck for tomorrow and Wednesday. Hope your appointments go well. Also to KT23, Wolf and Carmy xx

Caren, I asked the wig lady the same thing and was pleased to hear that we have all chosen different wigs. I hope you are pleased with yours. My OH was gobsmacked! Such a positive reaction! I thought my hair must look really crap most of the time! “Wow! Looks like I have a new woman!” he said! Blimey! I almost can’t wait for my hair to fall out so that I can wear it now!

I am actually working round my treatment, at least, I have managed to do that so far. Last week I went in for 2 or 3 hours each day and today I worked 5 hours. It’s my choice, I am very lucky, I work just down the road and have a lovely boss. I think it does me good to go in when I feel like it, although, I think chemo is accumulative so probably I will go in less and less as time goes on!

Welcome Susy, I thought 21cm was a HUGE tumour!! LOL!

Clare, glad to hear you have had a good week and that the nerves have settled. Big hug to you and enjoy the next week. Xx

Wintersocks, I am so sorry you feel so alone. I totally agree with the other ladies on here who have urged you to call the helpline tomorrow. You may find it easier to talk to them rather to talk face-to-face to someone. You will find lots of support on here, I know I have! Here’s my hand for you to hold, and a big hug coming your way. Xxx

Have a good Tuesday everyone and sleep tight
Hugs and xxx
Joan