1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

GeorgieB

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Thank you, I feel as if I am doing my last of everything today which I know is silly but wander if I will feel like morning coffee or doing Zumba or going to London - both of which I am doing today!
Daughter no2 is home for the weekend from uni (the one I told to imagine not having a boob after 54years) I read some of your posts out to both my girls and she said "I think I better stay here for the week to look after you" my heart sank but I said very sweetly 'that is so sweet of you but I would rather you went back and studied for your exams" she is a nightmare when she has exams and is home. She sticks stick it notes all over the house - and I mean all over - loo, kettle, fridge, - I can imagine throwing up and reading some psychology quote from Freud!
She finishes in 2 weeks and has more exams next term so will have them then no doubt!
Good luck to those starting today. Georgie xxxx

Parsnip

Morning all,
Good luck to those starting or going for second dosing today, hope it all goes well.
I needed up totally writing off yesterday. Had absolutely no energy and was managing to get out of bed for about three quarters of an hour before having to retreat back to bed. It was emotionally and physically a bad day. I think 'special' days can be very difficult. Last year over mothers day I was breaking up with my partner of 12 years and father of my beautiful son. I had hoped just before Christmas when I moved into a new flat that me and my boy were starting on the road to recovery after a difficult year and could start getting back to normal and having a wonderful mothers day for the first time ever. Then this blasted bc came along and scuppered the happy 2012 plans. Was just a difficult day yesterday knowing my boy has another difficult year ahead, I feel so awful putting him through it.
Hairiscoming out in clumps now as well, my ex neighbour and friend who is a hairdresser is coming over to cut it off but I have to wait til Thursday, some more shedding to go til then I guess.
On a brighter note, as my son woke me at 5:30 this morning we already have breakfast muffins made! Makes up for the early start at least 🙂
Xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Wintersocks, here have a hug. Hope you're enjoying a nice glass of wine. I'm tempted to go get a Guiness out of the fridge. My bunnies are settled down under the bed for the night & I'm watching a historical program on BBC4 trying to forget that chemo no.2 is looming.

Hope everyone gets a good nights sleep. Apparently Clare is having me dance in the kitchen tomorrow so I'll need some extra spoons!

Twinky x

wintersocks

Hello, everyone.

It has been a mixed day for all of us I can see that. For me it has seemed a bit lonely but that's not such a bad thing as have time to think.

Gabby, of course is your 1st chemo Thursday, i remember we discussed it. I hope you manage to get it ok, as I know you said your boob was a bit sore..Please let me know how you get on.

Lydia, how strange my ex and I had a huge row and he went and resealed the shower....that was over 2 years ago, and it was about the time his Dad was dying from cancer (he was 89). I guess emotions were running high, however his behaviour was unacceptable.

Chascat, My ex also told me to f***K off - in front of the children, Unfortunately that was the beginning of the end. When I had a previous illness, he was utterly hopeless and worked worked worked. No time for the family. I am glad he walked out 2 years ago, at least I don't have to put up with his selfishness now.

I believe the ladies starting chemo this week are myself, Georgie, Molly, Gabby and Raechi. I hope we ALL have positive experiences. I just wish I was going tomorrow...

Am feeling a little down and scared for the future, but I have a glass of wine...and a snuggly cat.

WS

Patchit

Evening ladies

Well it seems a bit of a mixed day today for the marvellous marchies! Glad to hear that some (like me) have had a lovely mothers day, but also sorry for those whose day has not been so good.
Good luck tomorrow Jane for your second treat. Hope everything goes well for you. The loss of the hair and boob seems to be the price we have to pay. How good it is that we adjust to these things, in the beginning I couldn’t have imagined that happening to me, but now I sit here minus one boob and with my hair falling out! You do adjust to these things in time.

Carolyn, I am sure we all feel the same about going out for the first time in wig / scarf. I am hoping to hang on to my hair for tomorrow, but not sure if that will happen or not. I am sure it all gets easier in time. Looking forward to seeing you and Caren tomorrow. Will try to remember my yellow daffodil, but if I forget hopefully I will have my copy of the times and will be sitting under the clock! No doubt when I get there you and Caren will be in your appointments. Mine is at 11.40 (I think, must check that!), so I guess you will sit in the waiting room for me to finish?

Lydia, sorry to read about your problems with OH. I hope its just all the emotion of today, with tomorrow looming and that things will settle again once your treat is out of the way. Big hug for you for tomorrow. Xxx

Also to Reluctant Rose who I think also starts tomorrow.

Carmy, I hope you are ok, you have been quiet for a couple of days, unless I have missed you amongst the pages of posts!

Silvershar, thanks for popping in and hope you had a happy anniversary!

I am off to bed now and wish you all a good night sleep with no SE’s interrupting it!

Sweet dreams

Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hell0 and Happy Mothers Day to all you Mums out there, I am not a mum except to my beautiful dog Zeyna in the pic who did manage to get me some daffs which i love, so brght and cheery. anyway, I am writing this one year on from chemo, last Sunday was my "anniversary" of first chemo and i totally am with you all in spirit just starting and having had first 1 or 2 chemos, it is not a s bad as u expect - in my humble opinion but i think u build yourself up as did I, and though its awful its doable and i used to read that word and think, oh right,yeh thanks for that, but is true as Choccie Muffin says, the smell thing, well i used to scrub myself and my bed linen to the hilt but it is in our noses and the only smell could be from the rear and CM last year used to have us all in stitches with her tales of wind from her neck of the woods!!! I send u all my love and tlc starting chemo this week, and whoever said about the hands and feet, it really does grow in yr mind, i personally didnt have hand and feet trouble but i read and researched and thought of every se poss but save the energy for coping with what you do have, and as for other halves, it really was good for me cos Ranjit was fab but as we meet diff people in life, as on here the ladies were good for my self esteem and emotions and advice as they go through the same, but yor fam and friends are A Diff kind of support and your husband or boyfriend its the same, some show support in diff ways so let them show u their way and just let everyone give what is their "forte" as we all are good or better than others at certain things but u know regardless tht they care even if they dont show it so upfront. lots of love xxx

chascat

Hi ladies

Thank for your words of support, unfortunately this kind of behaviour isn't unusual for my husband and he thinks it's totally acceptable, he actually told me to "f off" to which my response was "sorry" as I couldn't believe he'd said it, to which he replied " you will be". Regardless of what's going on I find it totally unacceptable and threatening, that's why I'm so angry. I have to say he's been a fantastic support throughout all of this but his behaviour today has gone too far, I don't know how we'll resolve it as he sees nothing wrong in what he said.

Love Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

CM that made me cry, but i thank you for your words, I wouldnt change him for the world really, and I do have girl friends who support me emotionally. We woman can be demanding too cant we.

Thank you for putting reason back!

ChoccieMuffin

Gabby, my lovely man doesn't express emotions very much at all but that's just how he is. Through all of this I haven't expected emotional support from him in a vocal way, I've had other friends and this forum for that. He has been completely consistent and has been the rock I've been able to lean on and he's put up with the emotional waves washing over him from my direction.

I swear he simply doesn't understand all the emotional highs and lows I go through but he's there and solid. I can't expect him to be a different person so I make the very best of who he is. He came to my first chemotherapy a year ago and sat beside me and held my hand. No deep meaningful conversations and baring of souls but I was so glad of his hand to hold.

Lydia and Gabby, your partners sound a bit like mine so don't expect them to be who they're not but use their strengths. Get your emotional support from others who ARE made that way. And love your partners for their good bits.

debh

Evening Ladies,

Sounds like most of us have had a nice mothers day.

Lydia, dont apologise for expressing how you are feeling, sounds like you are having a bit of a bad time at the moment unfortunatley men can be very difficult creatures and they always seem to know how to do it at the wrong time. Today is the time when you need the support ready for tomorrow, but I am sure when tomorrow comes your OH will be different and supportive, I can understand how you are feeling right now though.

All the best to everyone who starts there chemo this week and wishing you minimal se's.

Deb xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

men are weird creatures! Although it could well be that he is stressed and that is his way of dealing with it, its very unhelpful. I have a BF who seems totally removed from it all and I feel only talks about it under duress! Emotion wise, I get no support at all from him, is it his way of dealing with it? Some nice friends of mine say so, but if im honest I just think he is unconnected with anything that needs more than just practicalities.
I feel for you Lydia, now isnt the time you should have to be strong for others is it, but you can and will put this behind you and I find for myself I try and not dwell on the unhelpful stuff he says, but the tiny little things that I find helpful.

God bless for tomorro hunny

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Lydia....big hugs for you. Hubby is clearly nervous about tomorrow & being a man needed a distraction hence the attempt at the bath re-sealing at an inappropriate time & the temper tantrum! So sorry it ruined your day. Everyone deals with stress in a different way. I hope you kiss & make up before the morning. He would probably not admit even to himself that him worrying about you tomorrow is behind his behaviour today. Go give him a hug ( even though is should be the other way around). You'll need one another tomorrow.

Twinky x

chascat

Hi ladies

Sounds like everyone has had a nice mothers day, unfortunately mine has been sh*te thanks to my husband. The day started well with flowers, card, cuppa in bed etc and then went rapidly downhill. He's been talking about resealing the bath for weeks and suddenly this morning decided to do it, got his knickers in a twist and had a huge temper tantrum which he took out on my daughter and I, we were all supposed to be going to my aunts for lunch but we went without him, we haven't spoken a word since we've come home. I have my first chemo tomorrow and he's supposed to be coming with me but i'm so angry with him I don't want him there, I really could do without it. My son has just been to see me and I really struggled to hold back the tears, but I managed to thankfully.

Sorry for going on, just struggling with it at what is the worse possible time.

Good luck to everyone having a juicing this week and wishing everyone a good week and minimal se's.

Love Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you EBH! I will call the doctor tomorro but im at hospital too tomorrow seeing chemo nurse so I hope they can fit me in before hand! Thanks for your advice

EBHippo

Hi Ladies

Hoping we are all enjoying a Sunday of pampering, whatever the circumstances. I had a lovely roast chicken prepared for me and wonder of wonders, could actually taste it.

Gabby, the same thing happened to me the week before my first cocktail, is it a bit warm to the touch - I went to the GP who prescribed a double dosage of anti biotics which soon sorted it and also gave me a bit of boost before the juicing. Let me know how you get on, give your GP a call tomorrow.

Day 11 today and although losing the odd strand, hair is still in place !!! Maybe one of the weirdest thoughts is if I am one of those that doesnt lose it but I cant dye it because of the chemicals. I usually dye it every 4-5 weeks but thought as it was coming out why bother and my gray roots are definitely making themselves known !!!
Good job I got my wig in preparation - will need it whatever the circumstances eh ??

Enjoy the rest of your day ladies, hugs to you all xxxx

Care_N

Hi Ladies, Happy Mothers Day to all you mums. I’m another one who has lost my mum (to cancer 2 years ago), and mothers day is not the same any more, but I’ve had a lovely day being spoiled with cards, gifts and a really lovely lunch, and not had to lift a finger.

I found losing my hair quite traumatic, mine was a short bob, and on day 17 it started coming out in handfuls, there weren’t any bald spots when I had it shaved (no 1) but there are a few now, day 19. So perhaps I could’ve kept it a bit longer but I think like everything else so far, I felt better once I had dealt with it, the fear was worse than actually doing it. Now I’m trying to get used to going out in public with a wig or scarf on. And really scared that they’ll fall off and I’ll frighten everyone! I saw on one thread that someone’s wig had got caught on something and come off, and they put it back on quickly the wrong way round! Did make me laugh, and it would be hysterical, but also mortifying!

CM your story of getting your own back on your son really made me laugh! Happy mothers day from me – although you’re younger than me (many happy returns for last week!) your support and advice on here really helps us all feel supported!

Good luck tomorrow Jane (Wolsty) and Chascat (Lydia). Let us know how the second one goes Jane. Mine is (hopefully) on Wednesday, and I’m getting nervous already (without any reason, the first one really wasn’t that bad). Trying to remember to keep drinking to fatten up the veins already!

WS, in my experience it won’t be nearly as bad as you think, and after the first few days your will feel nearly “normal”, and will not look or feel very different to how you do now. But the waiting and worrying is hard, try not to worry. There are a few people starting next week, Lydia, Georgie, Mollie, Gabby, and you and Raechi on Friday.

Hope all you ladies who had your juicings last week are all feeling much better, and have a really good week next week. Parsnip, hope you’re ok after your second lot?

Really looking forward to meeting you tomorrow Joan and Carolyn, sorry you can’t be there Rae, but see you next time!

Love and hugs everyone!
Caren
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone!! Happy mothers day. I had a nice voucher for an aromatherapy back massage from my daughter which I will save until I feel I need it during the coming weeks!

Wintersocks, yes its me starting this week, Thursday is the day 😞 I agree the last weekend of feeling 'normal' I have made the most of it, lots of red wine!!

CM!! you are sick!! so funny tho!

Jane - I too said to myself as long as I dont have to have chemo or my boob removed ill be ok, fortunatly I still have my boob although its looking quite lumpy and sewn like a mail bag! My sister in law bought me a 'head' today from her hairdresser friend, scariest thing Ive ever seen! I think its face will definately be turned to the wall when it is holding my wig for me!!

5 weeks since my surgery and my scar is looking quite red and a 'rash' like redness is underneath it towards my nipple. Has any one else had this? Im scared to death its something that will make them put off my chemo start date, I really couldnt cope with that.

Love to you all and I hope you all had a good day free of anything nasty.
Love
Gabby

wintersocks

Hello everyone on Mothering Sunday,

Chocciemuffin, I did not get anything either from my 14yr old, he is too busy with his BMX bike to think about such things...My 18 yr old (He lives with his dad} dropped by with a scrunched up card and then asked me about some money!

I am realising that this is the last weekend, I am to have of feeling relatively 'normal' for some time as the 1st chemo is on Fri, this waiting is too awful.

I do not want to go out once I start it as I feel people will look at me in weird way. I guess I can always stick my tongue out at them! I am not overly concerned about se, but the descriptions of what it can do to hands and feet are particularly disconcerting. I guess that's the bit that people see and is difficult to cover hands.

I hope everyone else is doing ok? I know that Rae is starting on the 22nd. Is anyone else starting this week with chemo? I recall someone is, but I have forgotten who.

WS

ChoccieMuffin

Afternoon all.

Happy mother's day to everyone. Haven't even had a text from any of mine, but then again I don't really "do" mother's day, I think it's too commercial. But a text or phone call would have been nice.

I think a lot of the "smell" thing is in our own noses rather than our bodies. I know none of mine complained that I stank, and they're very forthright with their opinions so I would have expected them to speak up!

That aside, the biggest "smell" problem I had was with the stinkiest farts on the planet! Now they were REALLY fierce and caused lots of hilarity, particularly when I was able to get my own back on my son, who used to quite disgustingly stand beside me when I was sat on the sofa and point his rear end in my direction as he let rip. One evening I could feel "something" brewing up, went into his room (when he was at home) and returned the favour, then left and shut the door. The screeches of "oh, mum!!!" were a total joy to hear. Retribution I'd waited years to inflict, and it was very funny.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day.

CM
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello again,

Back from a little ride out along the coast and the sun is now out, what a lovely coastline we have (Norfolk). I must say that I'm feeling a lot better today. That's the fighting spirit Jane (Wolsty). You are right about what we feel is important to us in the beginning but what is the most imp' is beating this thing and getting on with our lives. It doesn't seem long ago that our girls were 12 and 14 and keeping us very busy. Now they are 29 and 31, very loving and we are immensely proud of their achievements. I know what you mean about the body smell, it lingers and no matter what you do it's there. I have a very sensitive nose and can't take anything too perfumed, so perfume has to be light etc.

My husband likes cooking and is doing a roast dinner for us a little later. Normally when I cook I always put too much on the place, so it seems funny for me to say, don't do too much. Oh how I love roast potatoes, perhaps I should get him to do a couple extra just in case!

I'm sure you will all enjoy your lunches with family today, those that are able to get out and about. If not then you, like me, can have an 'Un-related Mothers Day' as soon as possible.

My hairdresser said she will come to my home whenever I want and she will do the deed. She gets quite emotional so probably be a right pair together. Stiff brandy for her afterwards.

Carolyn - The lady who was sat next to me at chemo last week had a wig on and I would never have known until she told me. It looked great and she said she was going to continue wearing it afterwards on bad hair days. My wig is on the stand covered up with gents hanky. I've only tried it on a couple of times and left it at that for the moment. Got scarves and hats (not a hat person)and have been trying different ways of tying/co-ordinating. It's going to be interesting.

My third jab has been OK so far and feel fine. Keep getting a squiffy tummy but rather that than not being able to go. I was told not to take Immodium. Don't know what alternative to take if ever needed, they didn't say. Hopefuly it won't get to that.

Hope everyone who had chemo this week is bearing up and with be thinking of you all for next week.

Everyone take care.

Best wishes

Beryl XX

Wolsty

Hi everyone

Thinking of you all who are suffering bad side effects and not able to enjoy Mother's Day meals with your families.

I was given wonderful presents by my daughters - my 14 year old painted a not terribly flattering picture of the new me but something I will nevertheless treasure and my 12 year old gave me lots of Body Shop smellies - my body smells horrible for the first week after chemo - seems like chemicals coming from every pore. We are off for lunch with friends and I will even treat myself to a couple of glasses of wine.

Chemo session 2 tomorrow and I have to say I am not looking forward to suffering from the SE's again. To all of you who feel rough at the moment, I have to say that half way through week 2 I really felt much better, far less tired and by week 3 felt virtually normal. I hope its the same this time round.

I shaved my head on Monday (no. 1) but now it is all really falling out and I am left with lots of bald patches. Surprised myself that I didn't look too bad with a shaved head so at least that's encouraging for when it starts to grow back eventually. Its amazing how the things that you initially think will really upset you somehow don't seem as bad when they actually happen.

When I was first diagnosed with BC I thought all will be OK so long as I don't lose my boob or my hair. Sadly both will be the case - I will have surgery after the chemo. Oh well - so long as its all worth it in the long run.

I hope everyone enjoys their day.

Jane xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning lovely mothers day ladies

I'm patiently waiting for my children to arrive ready for them to cook lunch. No idea what we're having so an added surprise, just hope there's wine involved i fancy a drink. Hair not good two very distinct bald patches now one at the side and one where fringe meets side, so I've text my trusty hairdresser to see if she can do me tomorrow, so like you Caren I'll possibly be wearing my wig tomorrow, not looking forward to venturing out in public for the first time and as for going into school in it that fills me with dread.

Sorry to hear a few of you having jippy tummies as far as I know you can take Imodium which always helps.

Sending hugs to all if you and thoughts for those of you without a mum (I'm one who doesntvhave a mum anymore I lost mine 20 years ago to a stroke). I must admit I do find Mothers Day hard especially now as I find myself just wanting hugs from her, I'll make up for it with hugs from my two fab children.

Hugs to all

Carolyn xxx

Patchit

Good morning ladies

Kika-K, its grey and miserable here in Herts! Hope you have a lovely day with your family.

Megsmum and Poppy, sorry you are feeling off colour. Maybe you might be able to do something nice when you have a good day? I hope you can just postpone mothers day, raher than cancel it!

My lovely eldest son is taking me out for lunch today, although I am not meant to know about it. He is coming round at 12 to tell me. My hubby told me the other day, which has spoilt the surprise a bit, but that wasn't his intention. I shall act suitable surprised, its a lovely thing for him to do. Our family dynamics are a bit awkward for us, so I am not sure if my lovely younger son will be tagging along or not. Awkward either way really! Anyway, I am sure I will have a lovely lunch!

Hope all you ladies have a good day. I know Mothers day can be difficult for some people, myself included sometimes, I lost my mum to cancer when I was 18, 33 years ago.

Big hug to all.

Joan xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning to all on Mothers Day

Raining here, sorry to put the damper on things. Should brighten up this afternoon. We haven't booked any lunches out because didn't know how I'd be. Feeling quite a bit brighter now, just had shower and washed my hair very carefully. Normally blow dry it but now just gentle finger dry. Don't really care what it looks like so long as it's clean and not sticking out everywhere. Taken my next jab out of the fridge and took paracetamol about an hour ago. Will jab myself in about 30 mins. DN gave me very good instructions on how to do it, so after the my first self inject yesterday should be OK. Nearly out of anti sick (champagne type) so I only took one this morning and all OK at the moment.

Nice to read that some of you are getting out and about and are feeling quite good. Now that I'm on day 6 and starting to feel a little better, I'm hoping that the energy level will increase so I can get out. Or is that a false assumpton? I suppose it depends on the bugs staying away and the white cell count.

Bye for now.

Beryl XX

poppyD

Hi megs mum

you may need to seek advice re sore throat is your temp ok

I have had trots too last few days

we decided to cancel mothers day dinner out but daughter coming home

I dont feel up to going to church today but think someone will bring me communion, that will be a bit strange as we always go to mass. we have so much support from our friends at church which is great when our 3 children are away. we have fab neighbours too

shall be interesting to see what hubby cooks as i normally do the cooking and the only cooked dinner he did was when i was at work christmas day and we got everything prepared from m and s and the kids helped him dont expect i could eat anything much anyway

Love to everyone

Poppy xxx

megsmum

Happy mothers day everyone hope any Se,s are minimal, mine are different ones today bit of a sore throat and the trots. I have had to cancel my lunch out with my daughter and son in law but we will rearrange it :-). Enjoy your day ladies x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Morning

I hope your night has gone by without many misshaps.

Just wanted to wish you all mums a very happy Mothers Day and hope that your offspring pamper you senselessly!! You deserve it!

It is a glorious day down here in the South Coast, so nice walk for me, my girl and the doggie and - hopefully - a lovely roast dinner cooked by my junior chef!! ah ah! May even pop to the pub for a little something before lunch!

Hugs and Kisses

kika-k

poppyD

Thanks Joan

I am a bit more together

Happy mothers day to you all

thinking of all those whose mumms are no longer with us

Thinking of all those who are not mums too cos mothers day can be a difficult time for some.

love to you all

have fun if you can

POPPY x

Patchit

Evening ladies! What a chatty lot we are! I am not on day 17. I have felt mostly fine since last weekend. I have had a day out in Cambridge yesterday with no ill effects, even had a couple of glasses of wine, which I really enjoyed! I now have some hair loss (especially my ladygarden!), so I am glad to have sorted out my wig and scarves.

Clare, I have a spoon of manuka honey in boiling water and drink it in the mornings. The aloe vera I also put into water (cold), 50mls each morning. Its not particularly nice but its meant to be good for you so I am persevering with it!

Poppy, what a time you are having! Big hug to you and to your lovely son. Xxx

Angelhearts, big hug to you and your lovely son too! Xxx. I have had success with the bra hunt, hurrah! I am not convinced it is entirely right, but I am so fed up with the whole thing that I am sure it is ok for now!!

Wintersocks, hope you are feeling a bit brighter now.

Caren, how funny we both chose the same scarves! Promise I wont wear mine on Monday! Sorry you had a wobble with your hair yesterday. My wig has an adjustment on the back, like a bra strap adjuster. I wonder if your one has one too? Maybe you can make it a bit tighter? It’s a big thing, to loose your hair, even if you are prepared and feel relatively ok with it. Another adjustment to be made I suppose!

Beryl, hope you are feeling a bit brighter this evening. I went to a LGFB session at Cambridge and got booked on 2 weeks after I phoned for an appointment. I wasn’t sure if its too far for you to travel, but thought you may like to know about it if you wanted to go sooner. Its not at Addenbrookes, its about a mile away but really easy to find.

Deb, sorry you have been put back a week. I hope you have an SE-free week that you can enjoy!

Supersue, really feel for you and the problems with the injections. I feel that I really have to manage them better next time if I have to have them again. Very scary for you though, but I am glad you realised what was happening and what had caused your problems. I hope you can talk to your onc and that you are able to manage them better next time round.

Parsnip, your WBC is really good. I think the normal range is between 4 – 11. Before I had my first chemo mine was 6.5 so I guess they must have a cut off point, below which you have the injections. I had mine tested again last week when I went to A&E and it was 2.4 then. I am hoping its higher when I go back on Monday before my next chemo on Thursday.

Megsmum, hope you are feeling better now.

Welcome to Jane N, and anyone else new I have missed! Glad to have you on board this rollercoaster!

Carolyn, hope you manage to hold on to the hair for a few days longer!

Hope everyone gets a good night sleep with minimal or no SE’s. Mothers day tomorrow, so hope those with children get some nice surprises!

Sleep tight
Joan xxxx and hugs to all!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Gabby,

I'm on day 9 of my first of 6 FEC's and I live alone too. My daughter came home for it and stayed a few days but I won't need her to from now on - it was fear of the unknown this time and I had a bit of a panic the first night I was on my own when she went home. Daft really as I had all the numbers to hand for the hospital and my friends - who all live within about 10 minutes so I'd have been ok whatever happened and of course nothing did or has since - the worst that happened was not sleeping cos the steroids so I've got a pile of books by the bed and I'm catching up on all those books I've wanted to read but haven't had time!

I had my second hair cut in two weeks today in preparation - I think it's what could only be described as pixieish now - so shaving shouldn't come as too much of a shock and I picked my wig up today and to be honest it's much nicer than my hair - so at least I'll be able to avoid bad hair days for the next year!

I feel really lucky that I don't seem to have had two many awful ses - compared with some of the lovely ladies on here who are being really brave and inspiring but I think all you can do is take it one day at a time as we've no idea how we'll feel tomorrow but at least time is going quickly as usual - I was diagnosed just before the new year and it's almost easter - time really does fly when you're having fun!

Sleep tight everybody - tomorrow will be better than today I'm sure!

Jackie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thinking of all of you tonight and hoping you all have a good and peaceful night. I can not add anything to what has been said Angelherts, but completely agree with all the ladies on here that you have an amazing son for which you should be very proud.

Welcome to anyone joining us on this rocky road we have to travel, and as chascat has said I too would be rocking in a corner without you lovely guys on here to listen to, talk to, laugh at so many of the comments.

Its true that we are strong when we are together, even virtually on the internet.

I am starting to think about what I am going to do about my hair now, but that is the thing I cannot deal with at the moment. I deal with all this in little bite size chunks, one chunk at a time.

I have started to compile a list of friends who are willing to be called in an emergency, as I live alone, and this will put my ,mind at rest I think.

5 days to go until my first swamp juice, Im sure as you all say the waiting is worse than the actual event, and I pray this is so.

Lots of hugs and love to you all
Gabby

chascat

Evening all

What a lot of posts! I'm struggling to use the pc at the minute as OH is hogging it and it's just to painful posting from my phone.

Angelhert, I can only echo what everyone else has said, your son sounds like a lovely, selfless young man, you should be very proud of him.

Kojak, I asked the chemo nurse about the injections yesterday and was told the same as you, if the dose is 100 you have the injection but if it's 75 you don't, he didn't know what my prescription was so I don't know yet if i'll be having it or not.

Welcome to Jane, the ladies on this thread are wonderful, i'd be rocking in a corner by now if it wasn't for them!

Well I have my first juicing on Monday and the anxiety is now creeping in, but all of your posts are helping me, even the scary ones - forewarned is forearmed!

Love to all

Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening ladies,

Day 3 nearly over and I don't feel too bad. I had trouble sleeping but have been taking sleeping tablets every night which help loads. I don't know if I am being overconfident but so far the SE's have been very minor, nothing that can't be managed. I am a little heady and queesy but ok. the steroids seem to put me in rather a good mood in the early evening - I take them about 8am - which is quite refreshing. My appetite is good and have not trouble eating most things so I just eat what I fancy although I try to top up on vitamines. Still a bit constipated but not too drastic - prune juice!! I wish you were all feeling better!!

On the other hand, my sister has just been diagnosed with BC too. How is that for chance eh? both our daugthers are quite scared at the moment thinking that they will get it too. 😞

Angelhert, what a C**P time you have been having. I am proud of your son, he seems such a beautiful boy, giving up his dream at the moment for you and pulling the resources at times of need. What a STAR !! Ref benefits, do call macmillan, I did and found them very helpfull. Good luck hon!!

I have now booked my look good feel better workshop for next month - only one a month in Brighton! and have made app for wig too.

Feeling quite possitive at present and wishing to pass some of it to you all!!

Keep your chins up, it is a long ride but there is a destination.

Lots of love to you all

kika-k

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening ladies

Just back from mother in laws and god my head itches. In answer to your question Supersue I'm on day 17 and Caren is one day ahead. My head also feels like someone is pulling a tight pony tail. I'm hoping to keep in to hair until Monday when I meet Caren and Joan and hopefully Rae, and if possible when I call into work Wednesday, but OH thinks I'm being unrealistic and might have to give my hairdresser a call before Tuesday.

Welcome aboard JaneN, and take advice from our senior agony aunt Chocciemuffin, like she says the tiredness is absolutely normal, it's like having all the energy sucked out of you but within the next day or so you'll slowly start to feel more energised. Just drink lots and rest when you need to. I also found taste buds went haywire, and everything I did eat repeated like crazy, but it's not too bad now.

Hoping everyone else is ok, hugs to all and hoping your managing to eat as remember your body needs some food for energy.

Love Carolyn xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening everyone,
Well, day 4 is almost over and been ok without the anti-sickness drugs, funnily enough whenever i start to feel queasy i just have to eat something and i feel better, thought it would be the other way around.
Tea is now a definate 'no' - just a couple of sips has me feeling sick - coffee is good though. Also water isn't all that great which is annoying because i seem to be thirsty all the time.
Had a little bit of constipation yesterday having not been for 2 days but a strong coffee and a glass of orange juice seemed to do the trick and felt much better afterwards!
I too am knackered after expelling no energy at all - on the other hand i have a 16 month old daughter and she keeps me on my toes even when we just stay in - had to miss taking her to a birthday paty today as lots of the children there have had this norovirus (vomiting bug) ovder the past 2 weeks and i thought it was best to steer clear - first time i've missed taking her anywhere but better to be safe than sorry i figured.

pargayan - I had a portacath fitted last Tuesday (day before my first chemo) and they originally told me that i would just need a local anaesthetic and a sedative but it turned out that they did give me a general afterall so maybe it is just the way it is.

Not sure who mentioned it in an earlier post but someone asked why some people are getting injections and others aren't. My chemo nurse said that if I was having a '100' dose of the Epirubicin then i would have to have an injection 24hrs after having chemo to try and boost the WBC's but as I am having a '75' dose then i don't have to have them (and am very pleased about it hearing about all the awful s/e's). Seem to be several different types of injections though so i'm sure this isn't the reason for all of them.

Hope everyone stays well and keeps on feeling better, Kojak (Jules) xxx

EBHippo

Hi Marie, I know exactly what you mean about the funny taste and no tastebuds, everything is like cardboard with a sweet or salty tang I found.

Try sucking on a polo mint, I tried that on day 7 as I was feeling really iffy and now [day 10] have found that slowly my taste is coming back. Just had fish in sauce for tea which I could definitely taste and I am addicted to Chips dipped in Brown Sauce.... I had lost nearly half a stone but think if I keep dipping the chips I may soon put that back on. Am also drinking a lot of fizzy bitter lemon [so fed up with water and ginger ale] and it supposed to have quinine in which is supposed to be very good too.

Dont know if this is of help, but anything is worth a try eh xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi to all,can't believe how many posts get put on when have time away from computer!!!
Still doing ok with SE's in comparison to some. Thankfully the constipation is sorting itself out so feel more comfy, though tastebuds had disappeared now and have an strange taste in the mouth.
Despite only doing small amount housework have felt more weary today (Day 6 )and don't think the wet weather helps, as I love to be outdoors whenever possible.
Hope all have a good evening, am going to try and tempt my tastebuds with a sirfry
J

ChoccieMuffin

Jane, Look Good Feel Better is SOOO much better than anything you get on a Groupon thing. You come away with a fabulous bag of goodies worth hundreds of pounds, full-sized cosmetics, as a gift. But apart from that, you are in a safe environment with other ladies who have had, are having or are due to have treatment for cancer, so it's fine to remove wigs and hats and just get stuck in and play. Even if you're not much of a makeup wearer, it's a fun few hours, and if you have daughters you'll have to fight to keep hold of the stuff!

My hair fell out on about day 15, but started with a rather sore scalp, rather like I had a ponytail that was being pulled hard. Felt much better after it had all dropped out.

Wintersocks, don't get confused between GRADE and STAGE when you're ready to read your report. It's an easy mistake to make.

Got to dash, taxi-driving duty this weekend. Oh the joys...

CM
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Welcome JaneN

It looks like we had our first treatment the same time and my second is 3 April as well. How many sessions do you have to have, they have me down for 4? My head is a lot clearer this afternoon but I'm still tired. I've re-read my earlier message and there are so many typo's in it. My head was certainly in another place, either that or my fingers.

It's quite normal to feel so tired when you think of what has been pumped into us and the affect it is having on our system. Like some of the other ladies have said, at least we know it's doing it's job getting in there etc. When I go for my next Onchologist appointment which is 28th March, I'm going to request the same anti-sick and sleep tablets because they appear to be working. Hardly any appetite, just had two boiled eggs and toast for tea, but didn't quite finish it. Everyone hates feeling tired/sick so if we can deal with that with some help from tablets then I'm all for it.

Take care and keep posting on here they are all fantastic help and very supportive.

Best wishes to all

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello!

I have just found this site, and hope that you do not mind me joining in. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, had a mx in Jan this year and started chemo on the 13th of March!

I had trouble sleeping on the Tuesday and Wednesday but managed to sleep on Thursday after taking paracetamol in desperation. Rang the unit and was told they would call back as they were having trouble with the phones but never did get a call! I have been really tired since, everything is an effort - is this normal?

I have found some really useful tips here - I would like to thank everyone, anything to make this easier. I am finding it hard to think past the chemo and radiotherapy at the moment, which I know is a short time relatively in the scheme of things. I just hope I can be as brave as all you ladies. Next round is on the 3rd!!!

I have booked on a 'Look good Feel good' session with a local cancer charity group where you are taught to draw eyebrows on when they go and they give cosmetic advice as well. How does this compare with the Groupon offer?

I would like to wish you all the best Mother's Day this year.

Till next time?

Jane

EBHippo

Hello my March Friends

Day 10 and hoping that this good feeling lasts. No more anti biotics, furry tongue is almost back to normal and not everything tastes of cardboard anymore. Got some Jelly Beans from Aldi and the game is to try and taste the flavour rather that peeping at the back of the packet - so far got 5 right so am on the right track.

Down to just 2 spoons of anti sickness med before I got to bed as still feel a little queasy when I lay down - but am fed up sleeping sat up right in bed. Thankfully once I drop off am still managing to get about 8 hours sleep so am very grateful when I read of you ladies that are only managing a couple of hours.

Hair only coming out in strands at the moment but know that will change in the next few days.

Sending you all a big hug and hoping it is sunny where you are xxxx

poppyD

Hi

hope you all feeling a little better is a tough ride but every day is one day further in the journey.

Hopefully when it makes us feel awfull it is making the enemy feel worse

love to you all, hoping wales does well today

lots of love poppy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Everyone,

Well, I feel one weary as well and now on day 5m which is to be expectd. You kind of get lulled into a false sense of security at first, them BAM! Gave myself my third injection today which went fine. Five to go and a break from serious drups until day before 2nd treament (3 Apr) when I have to take steroids. I'm retired now so not working with any children or sickly people but they are jabbing me. Taken advice from ladies on here and take paracetamol at least an hour before jab, hopefuly they will keep everything mananageable. Got virtualy no appetitie and finally went to the loo today, which is a great relief. A lovely flower arrangement arrived from my beautiful daughter's for MD tomorrow, had a few tears I can tell you. Asked for sleeping tablets from the chemo suite whilst having my firs session and nurse got them prescribed for me. Had quite a good nights sleep but still feel spaced out. Oh for a clear head. Also decided to take the standard anti sick today (domperidone) but may finish them tomorrow. Had soup and sandwich for lunch but that was because it was necessary, didn't fancy it at all.

Let's hope for a brighter day for all tomorrow and no rain, but it's only been raining a little here at the coast. Hope we've all got some energy to get outside and get some fresh air.

Best wishes to all

Beryl XX

megsmum

Well what can i say about yesterday it should be wiped off the calender, i have never felt so rotten, worse than the worst hangover ever :-)so i,m told ha ha. I could only just tolerate sips and felt like every bone in my body ached. Today i feel more human and have managed some soup but i feel really weary. Hope everyone else is doing ok. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all,
Carolyn and Caren what day you on? I'm on day 10 and no sign of hair loss, but now getting a little paranoid on how it going to effect me.
Put my chin tweezers to bed, no more plucking for a while it seems, but its been like that all week, have to find another past time lol.

Went for X-ray on my leg yesterday, bloody thing been giving me jip for 12 months, can't lie on it for long otherwise i get stuck and the pain it unbearable. the technician said she is no doctor and theres nothing that i need urgent hospitalisation for. another result i wait don't see Onc till after 4th juicing,

Spent all night with aching leg, like growing pains, think its all this sitting around so going to go over to my nursery today whilst no one there to have a noisy what they been unto. i know i shouldn't as they doing a great job and i will end up faffing with stuff out of place.

Anyone got a rack i need a good stretching out get rid of these aches and pains i feel 80.

Have a good day all... Group ((HUG)) xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning you lovely ladies

Well like you Caren the hair has started shedding. Read somewhere it happens down below first and noticed this in the shower this morning. Then washing hair and it's coming out in handfuls. It's a strange feeling, weirdly almost makes me realise this is all real as I was going through the feeling a fraud stage as se from first chemo had been minimal. Looks like a call to my hairdresser sooner than I thought for a no 1.

Mary you could give your BCN a ring and see if they can chase oncologist appt.

Hoping everyone is feeling good today. Love the pregnancy joke Poppy, I constantly tease my two ( who are 22 and 25) that me and my partner are going to have a baby. The first time their faces were a picture, now I just get the yes mother statement, but trust me no more babies from me!

Love and hugs to all

Carolyn xxx

poppyD

Hi

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes was in meltdown yesterday and just had the blues

Told my son that I hadnt felt so sick since I was expecting him. He has good sense of humour and asked me if i had done pregnancy test,

It is amazing that despite so many NICE guidelines everyone is having such different approaches

The good thing about not having steroids means i lost 5lbs in 48 hours
however think probably get better control of nauseea with steroids i think most people get them

Hope you all have good day free from side effeects and those who begin or resume treatments this week get a good weekend

lots of love

POPPY xx

Parsnip

Morning,
Hi Mary, the waiting really is the worst bit, you'll definitely feel better once it's all underway and you feel like you're pro-actively doing something. I'm sure it won't be long now if you've got your heat scan on Monday. I'm sure all the other march ladies will say this as well but you're welcome to stay with us even if you tip over into April. I think it's nice to follow the journeys of people you kinda know already. You could also join both so you get the benefit of those doing it at the same time as well. I often read through (although haven't posted) the february board to see how they're all doing just to find out what's ahead.
Jane, I'm really glad you found the haircut liberating, good to hear that, I so hope I feel the same, at the moment it isn't but I am trying to SE it as another stage I'll have ticked if you see what I mean. Good luck with your second. I had so much trial stuff going on that the chemo itself seemed a minor part of the day! And I know I'm a quarter of the way there now, 2 of 8 done, tick.
Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
I am still waiting for my start date for chemo!! I know it sounds as if I am desperate for it but I just want to start and get finished. It is so frustrating. On the positive side I have today received my appt for mon for a Heart scan for which they ommited to tell me I would be having radio active dye in to my veins!! Does anyone else feel like they are been treated as if we would have difficulty understanding things??
This forum has been so useful as you have all been really helpful with tips on how to cope with S/Es and I know if I need an answer I would get good advice from you all.I dont post very often but read your posts every day and your positivity glows from every page and helps me a lot so thank you all and hope in a weird way that I join you on this thread.
Best wishes to you all
Mary P xxx

Wolsty

Hi All

Parsnip - I am having my 2nd on Monday. My hair started falling out last weekend, had a No.1 on Monday night which made my scalp alot less painful and quite liberating. Now developing more random bald spots as the rest falls out. I agree re the injections, aching bones and slight flu like symptoms but if it keeps your white blood cell count up then doing its job.

Carolyn - think you should definitely ask about them. I have just one injection 24 hours after chemo which my chemo nurse says costs £1,000 per injection - maybe its just that they don't universally offer them - not sure where you live?

Steroids definitely affect sleep although it really does get better once you stop taking them although now that I am approaching my 2nd session I find myself waking up again in the night - don't really want to go back there again but know there's no choice!

Jane x