Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Hello ladies
Welcome Amy though as the others have already said sorry you have to join us.
Well no more nose bleeds today and the period from hell has finally finished!!!
Spent the day in the garden supervising hubby laying some decking boards, not sure will get my walk at Southwold tomorrow as he's on a roll and wants to get the job finished, so may just enjoy sitting in the sun again.
Sorry some of you have had your weekend plans disrupted.
I am so jealous of you ladies who have managed to enjoy a tipple or two, I love a glass of white wine but as of yet just can't face it, hopefully that will change soon..
Enjoy your evening
Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello it's that woman again!

Wintersocks - I don't really flit here and there. Just the occasional trip out. Haven't had the strength or inclination really. It's hard knowing what's to do for the bst when we have only had one session. Avoiding busy places and people that may or may not pass something on. Wan't to stay OK for the next one if I can. That's just over a week away and everyday keep checking myself to make sure everything alright.

As for drinking water and lots of it - it's to get the darned stuff out of our system and reduce s/e's, so I believe. Keep having to remind myself to though. Not easy. Be glad when it's all flipping well over with and on to the next stage. Got a squiffy tummy again. But that's partly my fault. Haven't been (you know what I mean) for nearly 3 days, last night so took two senokot. Now I'm paying the price and stomach playing a tune for the Jubilee!

Patchit - I'm truly humbled. Thank you. It all comes from heart/head. Pluss a lorra, lorra maturity. Sixty two next birthday - shouldn't admit that though. WIG LOOKS GREAT! Mine is covered up on it's stand with O/H's hanky. The manfacturer calls it Frankie and every morning I take the hanky of and say 'Morning Frankie' and cover it up. If the cold cap doesn't work and I will know soon enough, she will get a ceremonial unveiling without the bells and whistles. I hate anything on my head so it's going to be interesting.

By all for now.

Beryl XX

Patchit

And here is me with my wig on!!

xx

Patchit

Afternoon ladies

What a beautiful day! I have managed to do some gardening this afternoon. I am trying to stay up until bedtime in the hope that I sleep tonight. I did go back to bed this morning for an hour and actually dont feel too tired at the moment.

Welcome Amy, as Beryl has said, sorry you have to join us under these circumstances but at least you have some company for the ride and lots of hands to hold and virtual shoulders to cry with or smile with hopefully sometimes. I cant imagine what it must be like to go through this with young children. I hope you have plenty of support form family around you. Let us know the results of your CT scan. Fingers and toes crossed for you. xxx

Rae, hope you are feeling ok and the SE's saying away!

Peanut, another seaside lady! We have been there a few times for weekends and the illuminations. Always a lovely friendy welcome! Glad you have made a decision re closing the cafe. Its great that your friend is going with you.

Kitcat, Sorry you are having Se's. I know how the lack of sleep feels, but fortunatly not the night sweats. Hope things soon improve for you. Glad you are getting your picc line sorted out. I must admit my vein they used this time is quite sore now so I shall have to ask them not to use that one again. It was also quite sore on Thursday when I had the chemo.

Hi Carolyn, glad to see your SE's are not worse than last time. Long may it continue. Still not heard from Caren so I hope she is doing ok.

Beryl, I have to say, your posts are always really lovely! You seem to have a way with words and they are lovely to read.

EBH, its really nice when you hair gets to that awful stage and you clipper it off! I know exactly how you feel. My eldest son has not seen mine yet but younger son didnt comment much! Well done on persevering with the wine, glad it was worth it!

Have a good evening everyone, I think we will have fish & chips for dinner. Yum!

Hugs to all
Joan xxx

wintersocks

Hello every body,

I must apologise as I have not really had time to read the posts in any great depth. However I would like to say hi to Amylou.

Amy,Welcome to March chemo, sorry you on here as we all are, but it really is a great support and kept me sane in those early days Dx Feb. Sorry to hear you were so unwell following your 1st chemo. it is very hard for you having such young children, I remember my own at that age and I too was unwell, and it was SO hard as I had little support. I wish I had taken-up offers of support that did come through, but felt like I had to be MUM 24/7. - don't make that mistake, let people help
It sounds like your team are doing their very best for you, and of course there are the wonderful ladies here to help if we can.

I'm sure that like all of us one day you will be well! so chin up!

Beryl, you are always nipping off here and there and you make me feel tired especially as I know you have not been at all well. Slow down you are making me feel lazy!

For myself, I have to date had very few side effects, mainly heartburn/indegestion and a bit of tiredness. No sickness or tummy upsets.

I now know of so many women who have/have had bc, I just need to mention it to friends and everyone knows someone and thank-fully they all appear to be doing well.

P.s I have seen advice to drink lots of water, Why?

Thank-you and hi to everyone!

Socks. x

Janet_BCC

Dear peanut1955

I've copied the information for you about how to upload your picture. If you've been doing all that and it still won't work could you email and we'll ask our techy people what's going wrong. Hope that helps.

Very best wishes

Janet
BCC Facilitator

You can add an image, also known as an avatar, to your profile. The profile image is only visible to other registered users. If you are concerned about your privacy, don't upload an image or choose an anonymous image like a landscape or a pet (pictures of cats are very popular!).

To add an image, click on Choose File. This will open a window showing the files on your computer, browse to find an image and click Choose.
The image will be uploaded when you click submit at the bottom of the page. Your image must be a jpg, jpeg, gif or png file. The website should resize the image to fit your profile.

EBHippo

Happy weekend to all of us, another glorious day and loving it.

Hair all over the pillow this morning and leaving a trail round the house where I have been so just took the bull by the horns and got hubby to get the clippers out. No 3 all over [with a few tears] but after having a shower it feels so refreshing, nice and cool and not so itchy.

My son came home from Uni at dinner, so wanted to keep the long hair till he got here - just showed him the new me and he gave me a hug and said I looked cool. Thats means the wig will have its debut tonight, will let you know how I go on.

Decided to have a glass of my Zinfandel last night, tried to steer clear while the taste buds were iffy. First glass tasted a bit odd but I persevered, well you have to dont you. Must have then had an adrenalin rush as didnt go to bed till 2:20 and think must have downed another 3 glasses. Just like the old times, it was lovely - and no headache this morning.

Making the most of the next few days, Thursday is cocktail no 2 and is coming round surprisingly fast. Love to all xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies

Back home again after sorting out caravan etc. Had some lunch out and it was lovely. Now having a cup of tea and egg custard tart and going to do it justice. Got my appetite back!

Amy (Amylou29) I wish I didn't have to welcome you to this site but I do with open arms. Just wish I could give you a big hug and make it all better for you. We all find it difficult, no matter what age, but when you have young children who depend so much on you it must be very hard. I don't know what support you have around you other than immediate family but we ladies on here are always here to give whatever support we can. BC hits us in so many ways and there are so many different types. Something I wasn't aware of until my diagnosis. Your dianosis and treatment dates run very close to mine but our treatment is not the same.

Never worry about asking questions and some of the answers you may have already picked up on the posts. We are all new to this game, if we can call it a game and want to get to the finishing post as soon as poss. So far I've found the off days less than the good. I have, so far, coped with sore mouth by drinking loads of water and not having spicy or hot food. Plenty of oral hygene - soft toothbrush, sensitive toothpaste and in my case diluted Cordosyl. Find Cordosyl a little bit strong. Chemo Helpline nurse recomm' diluting 50/50 with water. If you get ulsers then you need to speak to Helpline/Doctor. I found my Helpline really good and they told me no question is silly or unimportant. Please keep reading and posting your messages we're here to support each other through this and beyond.

Kitcat - Glad to hear that you are OK and it's nice that you have been able to go into work for a few hours. How often do you have to have your treatment? PICC line seems to be the way to go for you. My hand from last/first treatment seems to be fine with no obvious marks. As I'm having 4 treatments at 3 weekly intervals I hope it remains so. Fingers crossed. I'm also hoping you get a better nights sleep tonight and no sweats.

Megsmum - Sorry to hear that you w/end plans have had to be cancelled but it's best that he/you keep away from one another. Fog cleared here quite early on and it's glorious outside. I'm inside with my cardigan on and have cold hands. Letting my cup of tea go cold. My husband would say 'what is unusal about that'. Never drink my tea when it's hot and never finish it!

Catch you all later before this get's too long.

Big hugs

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies

A beautiful day here in Hertfordshire. Been into town today mooching around my favourite shop John Lewis, and sitting watching the world go by. Feeling a little tired today, went back to sleep this morning and suddenly it was 10 o'clock, so jumped out of bed ready to take tablets. Have remembered second dose of steroids as well so that's out if the way for today. Just starting to get the sicky feeling and beginning of absolute exhaustion so hopefully se will be manageable like last time. Also the lovely repeating of food has started to kick in, retarded my lettuce and tomato from lunch roll, umm joy.

Welcome aboard Amylou, I have great admiration for those of up you also juggling young children as well as going through this, so remember any concerns, rants or anything that's what we are all here for.

Good to see It's going well Rae and yumm I love a bacon sandwich with fresh crusty bread.

Let's hope your sleep patterns get back to normal soon Joan, those really early mornings are a killer. I'm also sorry to hear you had bad experiences at QEII Kojak, like Joan I've found them lovely, even if there's been lots of
waiting at the beginning, and please join us when we next meet up, the more the merrier.

Like you Peanut I'm also getting lots if night sweets, and not sure if it's my age or these drugs.

Hello to anyone else I've missed, hoping your out enjoying the sun.

Love and hugs to all.

Carolyn xxx

Kitcat

Hi Everyone,
Not been here for a while as I've either been sleeping a lot or when I felt well enough have been in to work on odd days for a few hours - which actually I found helped a lot although I was very tired afterwards.

Just had my second lot of epirubicin and cyclophosphamide on Thursday and although day 2 yesterday was fine, I felt really sick in the early hours of today and took my breakfast meds then. Haven't felt quite as good today but got little sleep due to terrible night sweats. Doesn't seem to be anything I can do about those.

However, I know that last cycle they wore off after about five days so hoping for the same this time. Am now a third of the way through so pleased about that.

Next time got to have a PICC line as my veins are scarred and it was painful putting it into my arm on Thursday. Prefer that to them trying the arm with lymphoedema anyway which seemed to be the only other option.

Have put on 4lbs on steroids, trying to eat more sensibly!
KC

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Just been for a walk along the prom in Blackpool as its a beautiful day also done some retail therapy in the Next sale got some lovely tops and oufit for my 9 month old grandaughter, made me feel much better. My boss has just called in with some flowers as she is off on holiday tomorrow so wont see her for a while, thought that was nice of her. I have been overwhelmed by the support my colleagues at work have given me. I manage a large group of people and they all work with children so my Occupational Health Dept and Oncologist recommended I didnt work whilst having treatment. I am going to see how I get on as it will obviously have financial impact on me.
I feel much more positive when reading your posts because it reminds me I am not alone and all the advice has been invaluable especially about how to cope with any SEs.
Dulcie, I had op on 19th Jan saw Oncologist 6th March and start chemo 28th March. It does feel like everything takes ages but now that I have a start date I know hopefully when it will end so am focused on that. I would ring to find out whats going on.Good Luck.
I have tried to upload a photo of myself but when I go in to edit i managed to download photo but when I press submit it wont go on!! Any advice anyone, could be doing something wrong.
I also have moments when the whole BC thing gets too much and have had a few really black moments but my OH is fantastic he keeps me sane!
I have decided that my friend will come with me so my OH wont need to shut cafe for the day. We live in the flat above the cafe in middle of Blackpool so dont have a garden to sit in so I am going to go downstairs now and sit with a coffee on the seats outside and people watch.
Best wishes to everyone
Mary P xx

raechi

Hi Amy,
Welcome to the group. As you can see we are a friendly supportive bunch. Please don't worry about venting or sharing on here, it is what we are here for. Like you I am having my mx post chemo.
I don't have little ones so I can't really relate there but I cam imagine its hard and tiring, so pleae don't give yourself a hard time. I feel tired, tears and up and down and that's without 2 little ones depending on me. Although I hope to be a mum when all this treatment is over.

Hi everyone else too,

I have had the nurse come today to give my gcsf which was fine. The anti sickness meds seem to be doing the tick for now.
I even managed some bacon this morning. Bad Rach!

I am drinking me water, lots of it and hoping the SE stay away.

Big hugs to all, hope you are all ok.

Rae
Xx

Patchit

Morning ladies, another beautiful day here in Herts. Hope the fog lifts for everyone!

I have just got up after my morning nap(reminds me of my kids, 24 and 20 now!). I was awake at 4 this morning, still that's an hour longer than yesterday! I have so far watched the whole series of 'The Midwife' and have now started on 'Moving on'. I am glad I didnt have time to watch them when they were on TV!

Kojak, I am sorry to hear you have a bad experience at QEII. I couldn't fault them myself really, but I guess things dont always run smoothly. I hope Harpenden has worked out well for you. There are some other ladies in this neck of the woods and we were hoping to arrange a meet up. There is another thread about it on 'in your area' if you wanted to join us?

Dulcie, I was referred within about 4 weeks to the onc from my surgeon. I should ring the nurses, they will give you advice.

Beryl, glad to hear you are feeling so bright. I expect you will have a lovely day in Sunny Hunny today!

Megsmum, my weekend is being really frustrating too! Its so beautiful out but I am having to keep going back to bed as I am not sleepin at night. I hope tyo get out in the garden for a while once dressed though!

Supersue! Too tired for shopping, that's how I feel! Still, sitting is another matter, hope the fog lifts and you find a sunny spot to relax in!

I hope everyone else is doing ok, especially those who have had treats this week.

Have a good day one and all!

Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all from a very foggy hill top above halifax! Going to Luddenden today to have a 2nd viewing on a house i am buying.

EBHippo, i not drinking and had a headache to yesterday, wonders if we got SE telepathy! I too been pulling at my hair and its not as intact as i thought, It's hanging in there so see how it goes till monday, its about 2 inches long and scared off it all deciding to go at the same time. See what monday brings.

So glad you ladies that had your juicings doing well, don,t forget all that water as much as you can manage,

Well not much else to report feel much better with the antibiotics even though my walking ability is still not good, its bad when i can't even walk around the shops cause i exhausted by strolling.

Group ((HUG)) have a lovely sunny day everyone. xxxx

megsmum

Morning everyone hope you all had a good night, well my weekend plans have been scuppered as my friends hubby has a cold so we,re not going to visit them now, it,s quite foggy up her but we,re going to potter in the garden. Hopefully you ladies who have just started are not suffering too much.

keep strong x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone.

Ive been reading this thread for the last few days and hope you dont mind but i registered myself to join it.

I was diagnosed with bc on the 13th january which was a bit of a shock as im 29.My first fears are with my children (17months & 7 years) i have tried to keep things very matter of fact for my daughter so she doesnt worry. I had a lumpectomy and a couple of lymph nodes removed on the 7th Feb as all the images taken indicated it was a stage 1. I return to see the consultant for the results but unfortunately it had taken a life of its own and jumped to a stage 3 and non hormone responsive. I started my fec chemotherapy on the 15th March which made me really sick and was readmitted into hospital but hopefully that wont happen again next time. My next dose is on 5th April and im praying i dont react as bad as i have this time.

Finding things a bit overwhelming at the mo as both my children are poorly and have gone to stay with their aunt and its making me feel useless. I just keep thinking to myself after the next dose im a third of the way there.

Once ive finished the chemo i have to have a mx, but with my age they have offered to give me a full one so i dont have to worry about it returning in years to come.

Theyre testing to see if its genetic but seeing as im the first in the family with it im not convinced it is, and off to have a ct scan on wednesday to make sure its not gone to stage 4 and should get the results the next time i see the onc.

Im not sure why im writing this but i was just amazed by all the support your giving each other. I am normally a very positive person but have found the last 2 week tough.

Amy xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone x x

I joined the forum last night so new to everything at the moment. I had my first dose of fec on the 15th so half way through the first cycle at the moment. Feel teary at times but i think its because its hit home that i have bc. My mouth is so sore at the moment if anyone has any good tips for helping tackle it.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun shine the best they can x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning all.

Another glorious day down the south coast. I have been out and about a lot this last week so today I think I will spend the day at home, do some chores, a bit of formal dog training and may even venture a little gardening.

Janice, it is pretty normal to feel like that just before you start, I think most of us do, I certainly did. I was talking to my sister the other day and she was saying how she feels in ‘limbo’ like this is happening to someone else, yeap I feel like that also a lot of the time, like watching a movie or reading a book.

Beryl, my second dose will be on the 4th April at the Sussex Cancer Centre. I know Parsnip is down here also, anybody else? Would be nice to meet up with someone……!

I am not able to go back to work as I am self-employed and deliver set courses (often 6 to 10 weeks), so trying to keep myself busy with the dog – lots of training (my new hobby, trying to make a proper gundog out of the pug)

Well, I hope everyone is feeling ok today. If you are not, allow yourself time to heal, get your sympathy blanket and snuggle up. We are allowed to feel sorry for ourselves!

Lets try to have a good day

Hugs

Nina

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Morning Ladies

Well, I'm here bright and early, washed and dressed and the sunny in out on a lovely morning. I'm feeling great and going with my husband this morning to pick up our touring caravan from the dealership. It's been in for it's annual service before the season starts. We have to put it back into storage and won't be taking out until after chemo's finished, probably late May, fingers crossed.

Dulcie - In answer to your question ref how long to get referred to Onchologist. I had a WLE and my follow up appointment with surgeon was 19th Jan. He then referred me to Onch' and I got to see him 5 weeks later. Chemo started approx 2 1/2 weeks later. I'm sure some ladies get ref' quicker and some take longer. It's difficult to give exact time scales because I'm sure it varies concerning patient.

Pargayan - Glad you got your blood sorted out and it was less stressful second time round.

Kika Ka - Spain sounds nice and I do hope that you can get over there after your second session. When is that due? Mine is 3 April. It would be nice if you could spend some time with your sister and give her some support as well. I know what that is like because when my twin was diagnosed in 1991, I went over to the USA and went with her for some of her early appointments. Think I/we did all of our crying for BC back then. It wasn't easy leaving her behind and coming back to UK.

Kojak - Can just imagine you falling asleep in meeting. I hope they left you there for sometime. They must have thought you needed it. I went to a WI meeting before treatment started and a dear elderly lady fell asleep and snored her head off through guest speakers presentation. The guest speaker carried on regardless and it was only when she finished that the lady woke up. Totally oblivious to what had been going on. It was hilarious! I hope you didn't snore?

Gabbylamb - It's natural to worry about what is going to happen day by day, we all do it. My down days were late 3rd day to 5th day, and then I picked up slowly. I know I had to get some extra meds for my s/e for injections and troublesome tummy. Apart from that I have been fine. Appetite went on holiday somewhere. I've been OK for a few days and feel back to normal, if there's such a thing. If all my meds stay the same I'm hoping second session will be OK and s/e's controlled.

Lottie63 - I tried to shut chemo out as much as I could until the day before. They gave me a tablet to take the night before so I could get a good night sleep. Went into chemo quite calm and they gave me another to put under my tongue during treatment. I'm going to ask for same again. It certainly helped my state of mind. I probably won't need it but I'm reluctant to change anything that appears to have worked the first time.

Well husband is calling so must be off. Hope everyone has a better day today and can make the most of the lovely weather.

Best wishes to all

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again xx can anyone answer me how long it takes to be reffered from the consultant over to the onclogist? I opted out of surgery ..so he is being difficult....since last November nothing much has happened..accept biopsies and FNA's..i will ring the nurses on here tomorrow ..they are brilliant!
I am the same as you guys...like this isnt happening to me..i'm talking about someone else surely? i'm cracking jokes roaring laughing at old Jim Davidson DVD's he cracks me up! lol
I should have been packing for Gran Canaria..early May ..instead i'm collecting plastic knives and forks and mouth wash etc...
At least i can wear my holiday clothes to chemo...
Can you sit out in the sun and get a bit of colour i wonder...
Btw ..i just love the dogs on here beautiful all of them...mine is a 'titch'...

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Joan,

I live in Welwyn Garden City but have been going to Harpenden for all my treatment since the QE11 turned out to be crap!

Jules

Patchit

Hello ladies

I have been back and forth to bed today, snoozing and missing the lovely sunshine. Dont feel too bad actually, bit nauseous and tired but it could be a lot worse for me. I am glad to read of the ladies who are having minimal SE's. Also sorry to hear about those who are suffering. I hope you all have a good night and feel better tomorrow morning.

Kika-k, I would have loved to see you on your 'cat walk'!

Kojak,how funny to fall asleep at work! Glad you are doing a few hours at work. I think it helps to have a bit of routine other than the treatment! I thought you must be near me when you said you have been to Stanborough Lakes, but I am having my treatment at Lister in Stevenage.

Lottie 63, yes it was an awful time before my first chemo, I think everyone seems to be the same, Second one was much less stressful! Its good you have arranged to go into work between treatments, its good to have routine.

Caren, I hope you have had a good day today, not heard anything from you so I hope you are ok.

Good night all, sleep tight and tomorrow is another day!

Hugs and xxx
Joan

lottie63

Hi Gabby
Thanks for that glad its not just me being daft, you are right its the fear of the unknown one part cant wait to start and mark 1 off so to speak and the other is dreading it, so glad your feeling ok long may it continue through your chemo 🙂 Everyone here has been so nice and its helps so much to talk to people who know how you feel, family's great and try to be understanding but how can they understand the fear of the unknown

Thanks again

Janice x

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes Janice, very weepy, its the fear of the unknown, and now im day 2 of my first one im weepy this evening wondering what the next few days will hold, but so far I have done well, and SE's have been minimal. I am sure a lot of people get through this relatively well, and not all have the maxiumum SE's, so positive thinking and every day is another day closer to the end of it. Im going to ring work Monday as see if I can go in for a few hours a day which will help with the positive thoughts!

God bless
Gabby

lottie63

Hi ladies
Thanks for the advice, I do a desk job and have arranged to do just weds, thurs and fri afternoons on weeks 2/3 so it gives me a good break after chemo, would be nice if i can manage it as something to focus on other than treatment, Start chemo on tuesday and feeling unusually fragile, bit weepy and been quite positive of late, did anyone else get like this before their first Juicing as you all call it 🙂

Janice x

pargayan

Thank you all for your hugs and sensible advice, I do think that we get so involved in the whole horrible process that we sometimes lose the ability to be rational about it all. It is a great help to be able to have access to all your support and common sense and experience.

I think I will take CM's advice and go to bed early tonight and hopefully things will be better in the morning.

When I went back to the hospital this afternoon there was only one other person there, so I now know what time to call in. I will try and remember Beryl and Joan's advice if I have to go when they are busy.

Glad to hear that those who have had their treatments this week are not feeling too bad with SEs, apart from Mollie, hope it eases off soon.

Thank you again for your support and sweet dreams to all. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening everyone,
It's so busy on here that I have to make notes as I read posts or I never remember who said what!

Well, it's been a busy couple of days for me now that I'm feeling better. I went back to work yesterday and did a full day although apparently i fell asleep in our afternoon meeting for 15 minutes, no-one seemed to mind. Have to say it was almost liberating going back, felt like my old self again.

Today I took my daughter for a walk round Stanborough Lakes, hard to believe she's only been walking for 3 months, she did ever so well until she fell into a pile of stinging nettles! Poor thing had lumps all up both arms, luckily it turns out Sudocreme fixes just about anything and the crying abated after 5 mins and a milk maid lolly 🙂

The wine the other night was awful by the way, had 2 mouthfulls and put the rest down the sink, my husband says I should persevere and try red next time!

On the down side my mouth has started to become a bit sore, I've started using Corsodyl mouthwash as it's supposed to help and will try to get hold of some Manuka honey lozenges tomrrow. Day 10 and hair is intact so far...

Chascat - Nearly spat my tea out when I read your comment about the toilet seat - hope it's fixed and you didn't get a sore a*se!

Wintersocks & Rae - Glad to hear your first dose was ok and hope you don't experience too many side effects x

Mollie43 - Sorry to hear you've been so sick. There are lots of different drugs they can try you on so if you don't feel better soon then don't hesitate to call your hospital and see if they can try something else.

Lottie63 - I do a desk job and went back to work for the first time yesterday (Day 9). I managed a full day but have to say I was knackered when I got home. I only work 3 days a week anyway and I think if you work full-time it'd be worth asking if you can at least go part time.

Megsmum - I've also had indigestion the last few days, I didn't know it was a side effect. I've just been taking Rennie, I assume we're allowed to?

Dulcie - I was going to say what I took with me but Beryl's answer pretty much covered it, she must have the same chemo bag I have!

Bettie - I had a 2cm Grade 3 tumour and no lymph involvement. I wasn't given a choice about having chemo, I was just told I was having it. However if I was given a choice then I would definately have it. If the cancer backs I have to feel that I did everything i could to prevent it and then it's just down to bad luck (if that makes sense).

I know it's a long shot but I wonder if anyone else is having their chemo at The Spire Hospital, Harpenden?

Stay well and wishing you all a restful night. Jules x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening ladies,

I hope you are all feeling reasonably well today and to those who have just had their first cocktail I wish you a peaceful night and manageable SE’s.

I am still feeling ok, almost back to ‘normal’ besides of the dry mouth and a little tiredness.

I got my wig today and bought a few new clothes. I had a good laugh with my daughter sporting the wig and the new items in a fashion catwalk kind of way, felt like a movie star…. Ha, ha never been blond before….. will try to upload pic.

I am hoping to be able to go to Spain for three or four days, a week or so after my second juicing – to see my sister who would have had her either mx or lumpx by then. Any advise? Have any of you travelled abroad between cycles?

Lots of love

Nina

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry it's me again,

Wintersocks and Raech - so glad you are home safe and sound. I was thinking about you both going through your first sessions today. Hope you both have a good night sleep. Remember to drink plenty of water, just in case it's slipped your minds!

Gabbylamb - Your trip to hospital sounds quite iventful, After all of that can quite understand you having a few tears. Something you don't need when you have that ahead of you. I found the nursing staff very kind and understanding and nothing was too much trouble. Like you said we are all just glad to get the first one out of the way and it's just the not knowing that's the worst.

Good night everybody.

Beryl XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Debh

For some reason they put me on eight daily injections. The only thing I found with them was they caused discomfort in my lower back and sterum area (chest), beginning about 2 to 3 hours after injection for quite a few hours. After about 3rd day I called Chemo Helpline to see if I could get a strong painkiller other than paracetamol. She went through things with me and I made appointment with my Doctor. The Helpline called my surgery and advised them what I needed. Doctor gave me prescription for for Diclofenic (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory) which did the trick. I have had no other s/e's from them. District Nurse came in the first time and injected and then with her guidance the next day I did it myself and continued. It was OK for me to do it but can understand if somebody doesn't want to.

I know that they will probably keep giving me these every session, maybe they won't do eight next time. Perhaps it will depend on my blood test next week.

Best wishes - Beryl XX

debh

Evening Ladies,

Not posted for a while. Glad to see that most of you are doing well with the chemo and for those who are not feeling so good I hope you all soon feel better.

Well keep putting the wig on in the mornings and by the afternoon it is off with the wig and on with the scarf, it makes me feel so hot and uncomfortable.

EBHippo, have a sherry for me, and have a great hen night, and enjoy your time with your son when he comes home.

Pargayan, please dont feel alone with feeling down, I hate it too and I cry nearly everyday, I get on my own nerves with it sometimes let alone everyone elses, its a really hard time we are all going through, some people find it easier than others to be positive, my Dr said today that as time goes by these negative feelings will start to fade and we will get through it and get our lives back, but we are so deep into it at the moment we cannot see the wood for the trees. Hope you soon have better days.

Lydia, your having a crap time with the SE's, hope you are feeling a bit better tomorrow.

My next juicing is due on Monday providing my bloods are all ok this week, as it should have been last Monday but white blood cells were too low. Does anyone else her have the 5 day injections, and if so do you get any bad SE's with them as i have got to have them starting after this cycle.

hugs to all

Deb xxx

wintersocks

Hello All,

Just a quick one. I will read posts later. Rae, I hope has gone ok for you today.

Beryl, your words to me this morning stayed with me, I felt very comforted.

well, went in (I was youngest there!) had saline wash thingy, then the red one, then the white one then the red one (I think.) In back of hand 2 1/2 hrs total. Was all straight-forward, OH with me all the time.

Have loads of meds: Dexamethasone, Metoclopramide, Ondasetron. Plus corsodyl mouthwash. So far no side-effects, but feel ok. So far. Had lunch, and have been assisting pumping up tyre of son's BMX!

That's it!

wintersocks

Guest user
Not applicable

Yesterday arrived in chemo suite after a very stressful journey of 45 mins by car, nearly missed the connecting bus, which was packed, and lost my way through hospital- its a maze! My BF came with me and I was called very quickly, but as soon as I walked into the giving area and sat in the comfy chair I burst into tears! I felt so foolish! The nurse and a student nurse were very nice and I soon calmed down and as I said, all went well and nothing terrible happened to me! I am so glad to get the first one over with.

Wintersocks! Love the new picture, now we can see who we are talking to! I hope your first juice went ok, and as smoothly as mine did. Strange you posted about pain in your boob, I had that last night as I lay in bed it was so tender and painful internally, I wonder if thats the chemo attacking the healing tissues?

Peanut, I assure you the waiting is worse than the reality. All will be well, and your best friend is definately the best one to take, you dont need to take extra stress with you by closing the cafe. Maybe we can come visit and have a cuppa one day!

EBHippo, Im sure Cleo will look fab, I have been pulling at my hair already to see if its still intact, and its only day 2!! You are a woman after my own heart! If in doubt try another sherry!

Joan you look great! well done to you, I bought my first scarf yesterday, but BF said I looked like Captain Jack Sparrow ! I need practice! I too have had messages from people and family who I havent been very close to in the recent past, and that is so much of a boost. I have kept the texts as they mean so much, even though of course my close friends mean so much too!

Lydia I so hope you start to feel better this evening, so far I have got through will a little sickness (my breakfast came straight back) and ive gone off coffee 😞 but not too bad. I hope it isnt the calm before the storm.
Mollie glad all went well for you, but sickness ewwww! Maybe you need different meds next time?
Rae glad all was well, you seemed to feel just like I did, I have a bad hangover type head and tummy which started yesterday, and will not be relived by paracetamol, but sleep helps lots.

As ever CM you make me smile, and I LOVE lesson 1!

Love to Carolyn, Marie67, Beryl, Wolsty (moaning is cleansing!), poppy, Pargayan you wouldnt be normal without the low times, and I am sure every lady on here understands and has been though the same (I know I have, and expect lots more)
Sorry if i missed anyone out, its so hard to catch up isnt it!
Love
Gabby

Patchit

Rae, glad to see that you are back from your first treat. Hope the SE's keep away, drink lots and take your meds. That's one out of the way!

Pargayan, sorry you are feeling low today. As Beryl says, I am sure you can give them your paperwork at the desk when you go for your bloods and you should jump the queue. Hope your mood lifts as the day goes on. Sportrelief on tv tonight, thats usually good for a laugh!

Wolsty, know what you mean about missing the nice weather! I was up half the night so am shortly off for a snooze after only getting dressed at 1.30.

Marie 67, hope the nose bleeds stay away and glad you got the wig sorted!

CM, can you let me know what lesson 2 is once you have worked it out please? I like to multi-task so would like to try lessons 1 and 2 together!

Off back to my pit now!

Joan xxx

ChoccieMuffin

Pargayan you have every right to feel pants sometimes. Yes, you may not have things as bad as others but this isn't a competition and it's probably the worst you've ever had so don't be hard on yourself. Post on here, let it out and let it go. I usually (but not always) find that if I can manage to get through the day till bedtime I'm not so down after a night's sleep.

Don't expect to feel positive all the time, that's an unrealistic expectation that so many of us have.

Lesson 1 -- don't be so hard on yourself.

I would post lesson 2 but I haven't got past lesson 1 yet...

Hugs

CM
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all you lovely ladies. Well back from wig appointment, have ordered a lovely wig, the lady was lovely and really helpful and I didn't feel rushed at all, and my friends honest comments helped!!!
Upon returning home settled down to eat more fruit and had a sudden nose bleed stopped after about 10 mins, phoned onc nurse as a little concerned explained that I had also been having a heavy period and now nose bleed ,was worried about poss platelet problems, she advised even though this is my low week and having had only 1 chemo, that she felt this unlikely,and just to carry on, though if nose bleeds returned to contact them again. Normally would not worry about such things, but having chemo seems to put things in a different perspective.
Well will settle down and read a book now, before starting to think about tea.
Megsmum I take omeprazole for indigestion and will take it for the duration of chemo, it certainly helps.
Hope all you lovely ladies continu to do ok
Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Laides

Well, back from my walk and it was long enough and a welcome break from the home.

Pargayan - They told me that if I had to go to main blood dept., not to take number (queing system) and to hand paperwork into Reception and would be seen without queing. Haven't tested it yet. They don't want you hanging around with poss germs/infections.

Dulcie - Welcome to our March Ladies - Chemo bag is just really what you fancy having with you. Book, music something to nibble on and drink of some sort. A small travel size anti bacterial hand wash and tissues, lip balm, comb or brush. They will offer you refreshments over the lunch time period. Sandwiches, crisps,yogurt,tea, coffee or water. I found it best to layer because it gets quite warm in there. If you are going to try cold cap they will, or did in my case, put a towel around my shoulders (need something to cover you head because hair will be wet/damp when finished). I had a large light weight scarf wih me and I put it over my shoulder chest area when I needed to. They would have given me a blanket if I'd wanted. They do give you heat pads, microwaveable type. I found that I didn't read, too much going on and the ladies either side of me were quite chatty, which helped. Hope everything gets sorted out for you soon.

Rachie - Glad the first one is done with and you can now rest as much as you can through the next few days. Had a call from LGFG here at King's Lynn Hospital to say they'd had a cancellation and I'm now going next Wed (28) instead of May, so didn't need to call Cambridge in the end, but thanks for the info.

Bettie - Welcome to you as well. We have the same - 21mm type 3 with no lymph involvement. They have put me on 4 sessions and I am now post 1st session day 11. Apart from the tiredness and a few s/e's that needed sorting out I'm fine. They give you what you need and one very wise lady on here's motto is 'Ask for what you need'. One to remember and for me it has worked - so far. We have to chuck everything at it and no one wants to be doing it but we are giving it our best shot.

Weather glorious and I sat on a bench overlooking the sea and demolished a Magnum with white chocolate - lovely!

Best wishes to all

Beryl XX

Wolsty

Hi All

Congratulations to all who have managed their first chemo this week. I had my 2nd on Monday, have not felt too bad but slept terribly last night and feel terrible today so am having a day in bed - such a waste when the weather is gorgeous.

Feel generally fed up that this is going to be my life for a while.

Sorry to moan and will def be more positive tomorrow

Jane xx

poppyD

Hi
Bettie I had to make the same decision the complication was micro met

Surgeon told me to discuss benefits with onco who told me my decision. I was lucky enough to get another opinion from another onco who told me that at my age even with small low grade invasive tumor age and micro met meant clear benefits so I went ahead and have had 1st FEC

Its a question of which deciscion you find easier to live with. everyone says they feel i have made the safest choice. But as one friend said when you make your choice it will be the best choice at the time

Good luck

Pargayan dont worry about feeling upset as someone else said to me on here feel whatever you have to to get through big hug to you

love poppy xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies

Bertie I sound similar to you, I had op on 16 Jan, was 35mm grade 3 borderline so chemo was just given. It's hard to face to begin with but I've just had second dose and apart from writing off about 4/5 days it's ok really. Make sure you drink loads before and after to flush out medicines, take tablets given as prescribed and it's really doable.

Glad you're feeling well Rae, the pink wee should stop soon, although make sure you drink loads as it'll flush everything out, but be prepared for numerous visits to the loo! I'll give LGFB a ring to chase, have you booked yours?

Megsmum the exhaustion is like nothing you'll ever feel but it'll pass. I now I went back to feeling normal at about day 8 or so.

EBHippo love the idea of testing the alcohol to check ifs it the hair to blame. Keep that theory going for as long as possible, then when it can't be blamed on hair loss just keep testing anyway!

Pargayan it's normal to feel low during this, and walking into oncology is never easy. Hopefully they may sort out another way of doing bloods at my hospital they do it on chemo day through your cannula and test it then and there it's so much easier. Remember though we are all here whether for rants, laughs or just anything.

Hope everyone else ok and those of us enjoying lively weather are ok.

Love and hugs to those who need them.

Carolyn xxx

pargayan

Megsmum
I was prescribed omeprazole for heartburn by the team to take twice a day for 14 days and bought them home from my 1st juicing. I did not suffer too badly until I started on the antibiotics and noticed a bad burning sensation in my chest which I still have, finish the tabs on Monday just in time for 2nd session.

I am feeling a little low today, not sure why, went up to the onc dept to have my bloods done for monday as I was told to do and was then told to go to the main pathology dept. Felt like I was going to burst into tears! The waiting room was absolutely heaving with probably a 1.5 to 2 hr wait, so going back just before they close. Probably find my results wont be in in time for monday morning.

I hate this!!!! Do not feel positive at all at the moment, I then get angry with myself because other people have it far worse than me and they keep so positive and get on with life to the best of their ability, where I am wallowing in self pity grrrrhhhhh

sorry for the rant

raechi

Hello lovely march ladies,
My juicing is done and I went out for lunch. Now at home with a bit of a bad head but other than that ok. Feel s bit sticky and my wee is now nicely red!

Carolyn i saw you mentioned Cambridge KGB, they can be slack at ringing back. I know as they were he same with me.

Am very tired for some reason so may well go and sleep. Least it's over and done with . Phew.

Hope you are all ok.

Winter sock and mollie, hope it went ok for you too.

Big hugs to all,

Rae
X

Bettie

Hi, my first appointment with the Oncologist has just come through for next Tuesday. I had a grade 3 22mm lump removed, no spread to the nodes, and now am faced with the decision of whether to have chemo (The Consultant has already said because it is a grade 3 it will be offered) I am a border line case but having discussed this with my family I have decided that this option will be the one for me. It is so hard when none of us know what is around the corner but at least we can say we did everything to minimise the risk of the cancer returning. Have any of you also been faced with this decision?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies xx i am about to join you any time now! just waiting for a call to see oncologist...
I should have had breast removed today...but my breathing is not good and neither is my general health..
I have Metaplastic which is quite rare..Triple Negative..
Can someone guide me on what to take with me on chemo days and what to wear..also do they supply heat pads for you?
I still cant get my head around it all..even though i have already chosen a wig...

EBHippo

Hi all, just done a really long boring post which was obviously too much for my laptop to deal with so it deleted it.

Hair coming out really heavily and darent comb it anymore, just running fingers thru and its coming out in thick tufts. Sending emails to all and sundry just to I can keep both hands on the keyboard and not one pulling to see if I can pull any more out !

I found the indigestion kicked in about week 2 but went as quick as it came. I kept some mints close by and found they helped with both the burping and the nasty taste in my mouth.

Had a sherry last night and woke up with a headache - not sure if it was a hangover or with my hair coming out so will have to drink another tonight to check symptons. One of my favourite tipples was vodka with fresh orange juice, that way your are getting vit c too - does that mean its classed as a health drink !!!!

Got into work for a few afternoons this week and managed to cope ok though did find I got very tired early evening. Tried not to kip so that when I went to bed I got a good nights sleep.

Well hope we all have a good weekend, lots of sun, fun and minimal se's... I am on a hen party tomorrow night so looking forward to it very much, though perhaps steer clear of the sherry.

Love to all - Liz xxxxx

megsmum

Hi girls i see the onc on the morning of my next chemo and have been making a list of Se,s and questions for him.
Poppy i havent. Noticed any hair loss yet have you ? although i am not going to be using the cold cap in future my hairdresser is on standby lol.
Vodka & lemonade or a glass or 3 of Sparkling rose (would love champagne) is my favourite but havent tried one yet but we are going to see friends in york so that might change tomorrow.
Its a miserable cool day up here today hope its warmer where everyone else is.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

Just rhought I would post before going out for a wal along the sea front.

Vodka and tonic I've never had but I will give it a go when I feel up to it.

I love Southwold it is such a nice place.

If I get a hint of indigestion or heartburn I take a Rennie straight away. Found it works for me. But when I start the next lot of injections I can't take them when I have diclofenac (anti-inflam).

Hope sickness/nausia has subsided and disappeared for those suffering and you are all able to get outside for a short while, even if it is only the back garden.

Going to try a cup of tea which is the first one for days.

Love to all

Beryl XX

poppyD

Hi Megsmum

I have indegestion too but have had gastritis in the past so have some lansaprozole

hope you feel better soon

have you noticed any hair loss yet

love poppy x

Patchit

Good morning ladies

I haven’t long been up as I was up from 3am – 7am last night. I had my second dose yesterday. I watched the last 2 episodes of ‘Call the Midwife’ then a programme about London ambulance service which finally made me go back to bed! On a positive note, it meant I could take some Dom Perignon at 4.30, which means they will be really well spaced out today (much like me!). I will just go with the flow really and snooze this afternoon if that’s how I feel.

Jane, sorry to hear about your period, that was the same for me. It kicked in 2 days after my first chemo, although fortunately for me, not as bad as you by the sounds of it. I had someone to go with me for my wig, I appreciated their honesty and suggestions and have ended up with a lovely wig which I am really pleased with. Southwold sounds a lovely idea!!

Lydia, thanks for your kind words re my new look! Its totally ok to go out commando, as I have found. If someone had told me a few weeks ago that I would be happy walking round Tesco with no hair, I wouldn’t have believed them. Just be careful with the sun screen, as CM has said in her posts. Sorry to hear about your sleepless nights. As others have said, maybe try to get some meds from your GP or hospital. Lack of sleep is awful and you have a young child to cope with. Its easy for anyone to say ‘look on the bright side’, but I would imagine hard to do that if that’s not how you feel. I guess you just have to go with the flow and not beat yourself up about it. I really hope you are able to find some positives in all of this.

Debbie, glad you are feeling better today.

Beryl, vodka and tonic water is quite nice!

Carolyn, I guess I am seeing the onc again as they have changed my routine. I think you said that you see him for rounds 2, 4 and 6. Maybe I will have a gap after the next one on 2nd April (week early due to Easter), although they told me it would be every time when I started. As least you wont have a 3 hour wait with the early appointment!

Janice, I have been working alongside my treatment. I have a desk-based job so its not physically taxing (mentally, yes, that’s if I can find any brain cells!). My first round of chemo, I worked weeks 2 and 3 roughly half-time I suppose.

Megsmum, could you get some Gaviscon for your indigestion? I think the drugs I am on are lesser doses than you, but I may be on a lower chemo dose. Could you go through your meds with your Onc before next round? Hopefully they could tweak them for you.

Have a good day ladies, hope you enjoy the sunshine.

JOAN XXX AND HUGS TO ALL

megsmum

The exhaustion for me is the worst thing i am sleeping relatively ok but feel sooo tired, i took the dogs out with hubby and walked for 10 mins and was shattered when we came back. I also had a very sore mouth and locum Gp prescribed Fluconazole liquid which none of our chemists stock so ended up paying £9.99 for a tablet rather than wait, it worked within 24hrs tho.
My meds were Dexamethasone 4mg for 3 days, Ondansetron 8mg twice daily for 5 days and Metoclorpromide 10mg 3 per day if needed. I was not sick although felt it, the drugs caused terrible constipation followed by diarrhoea !!.
Is anyone else suffering from indigestion ? i have never suffered before but everytime i eat now it burns.

Keep Strong Ladies xx