1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

megsmum

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

It was a dry cut Poppy but today i washed it myself and used some Treseme natural shampoo & conditioner on it, i used hairdryer on cool and finger styled it.

poppyD

megsmum
did you have wash and blow dry or dry cut

megsmum

Poppy i am like you about my hair i don't want to continue the cold cap but don't want to loose my hair either, i've had it cut again yesterday and up to now it seems to be staying put, but my blonde highlights are nearly gone. I have got my wig it is very nice really and bought a couple of hats at the same time just in case, i will have to take them with me when we go away after next lot.

poppyD

hi megsmum

I wonder where it went I hope its not at wimbledon remember Georgie B story

There are a few caravaners on here we also have one and cant wait to go
its a 4 hour journey and very remote so wont be going for while. I so love going as we live so far from the coast and can see the sea from the kitchen window in the caravan. hope you are able to go and enjoyyyyyyyy.

Love Poppy xxxx

poppyD

Hi everyone

hope everyone who has had chemo this week coping ok and symptoms well controlled

Dulcie dont worry about your posts it is natural to have opinions on diet etc as being well informed is good. everyone will approach things differently and it what works for you.

I notice you indicated that you have an unusual type of BC do you mind if I ask what type it is

those who are struggling with scarves have any of you accessed headstrong I am going tomorrow. day 14 and no hair loss yet cold cap working so far. I am being very careful with it and using natural products and only using tangle teaser on it. I swear by morrrocan oil too. I am getting a dry cut at hairdressers later in week> gonna have to let my foiled blonde grow out. I am gonna look strange.

I havent come to terms with the prospect of losing my hair yet and havent got a wig. Thinking of all of those who are losing their hair I wish I could just be brave and accept the prospect.

Lots of love POppy x

Guest user
Not applicable

pahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Megsmum!! thats the best ever!

Patchit

Oh Megsmum! How funny! You just really made me laugh!!
xx

megsmum

Well what a strange day I feel better than i have since 1st juice, I have been so hung up about loosing my hair on my head i totaly forgot about anywhere else until i went to the loo, it was very weird to pull my pants down and find my pubic hair had fallen off
:-), my friend from work came to visit and we have giggled like silly schoolgirls about it.
I,m pleased to see that most people are ok and have minimal se,s i hope this continues to be the case and they dont get progressivley worse as we are hoping to go away to our caravan 4 days after my next lot, it is a 2hr drive but once there i dont need to do anything as hubby and friends are going to sort everything out while i supervise lol.

keep strong xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies

Back from our lovely meal and really was nice to get out and do something normal.

Lottie and Kittyqueen - Glad you are back home and got your first ones under your belt, as it were. Hope you get a good night sleep and you will be OK over the next few days.

Marie - Nice that you have caring workmates that have given you these vouchers. I'm sure you will find something in Norwich to spend them on. I've been to that M&S many time. Ours here in King's Lynn is very poor in comparison. Quite Envious!

GoergieB - Wasn't sure how to take Manuka honey but the label on my jar said 3 teaspoons a day. So I just take it straight off the spoon but I think you can disolve it in hot water and take it as a drink. Don't know if I would fancy it that way. Get the deed over and done with quick because it is very sweet and I'm not a honey person.

Kitcat - My second session is due next week and I have been wondering how the next one is going to be. Over the years I have tken quite good care of my skin. Certainly noticed the change since starting chemo. I'm day 15 today and have noticed that it is picking up and looking like it's got a bit more life in it. Of course next week will put more into me and, like you, don't know what the cumulative effect will be on our systems. I keep doing my face routine as normal and hope for the best. Haven't been wearing any make-up other than lipstic and balm when I go out. Have loads of cosmetics and going LGFG tomorrow for any hints/tips etc. Then from there to see Onchologist follow up.

Peanut (Mary) - Will be thinking of you tomorrow and anyone else who has their treatment as well.

Night, night to all hope everyone has a good one.

Best wishes

Beryl XX

Patchit

Evening ladies

Fairly quiet day on here today, must be the sunshine! I have had a good day, been down to work for a couple of hours and OH just taken me out for dinner. Just a cheap local place, but saved me from cooking! I had a hat arrive from Annabandana, which I wore out and I am really pleased with. Same problem re the specs though, so I do really need to sort that out!

GeorgieB and Gabby, re the manuka honey, I just dissolve a teaspoon in boiling water in the mornings and drink it. I know you can also rub it onto any sore area you have and its meant to be very healing and soothing. Its just generally good for you, so I believe! Well, I have had it since day one and dare not stop now!!

GeorgieB, what a shame re the wig! I cant understand how you can choose from a catalogue. Aren’t you at Mount Vernon? I seem to remember someone else mentioning that is what they had to do too and they were having their treatment there. Have you picked 3 to choose from? I’m with you on the headscarf, I need more practice!

Hello Clare, glad to read your post, I was wondering where you had gone. I like the new piccie! Good luck with OH giving you the injections, I hope it goes well. It’s good that you feel more in control with treat no 2. Its certainly easier when you know what is likely to happen. Only probl;em is, you just get used to it and then they go and change you onto Tax (well, I am anyway), damn! Will be like starting again!

Kittyqueen and Lottie63, that’s your first on out of the way! Keep drinking water and keep taking your meds when you are supposed to! Hope the SE’s stay away and you both get a good night rest. Xx

Beryl, have a lovely meal out tonight and hope you enjoy LGFB tomorrow!

Kitcat, on the LGFB they just went through all the normal skincare routine stuff which I guess you do anyway if you normally wear make-up. I know chemo can dry the skin so a good moisturiser is probably a necessity. Other than that, maybe unperfumed? I can’t really remember them suggesting anything in particular.

Off to watch the footie now. Have nice evenings ladies!
Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening lovelies!

Lottie first of all may I say Well Done! first one down. I too had the same conversation about cold cap and decided it really wasnt worth me putting myself through it. I am on day 6 now and can honestly say SE have been minimal, little sickness, headache, tiredness. Today my mouth has really started to feel like sandpaper and taste buds are not good, but compared to what I expected I am amazingly well! Long may it continue!

Please will someone tell me about Manuka honey again cus Ive forgotten too what to do with it and why its good for us? lol!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies
Kittyqueen, glad you got on ok today, hope you enjoy potato and beans!!!
I think it was Lottie63 and Waitingtoo who were also having first chemo's today, hope you got on ok.
Peanut wishing you well for tomorrow.
Well hair slowly coming out several strands at a time, though no bald spots evident yet!!!
My lovely workmates have sent me some M&S vouchers so my aim is after pre chemo bloods on Friday I want to head to Norwich and spend them as most of my summer clothes are too big as lost quite abit of weight before the op, and I do like to shop.
berylS hope you have a lovely dinner tonight.
Jane

lottie63

Hi all
well thats it the terrible deed is done, 1 chemo down 5 to go, cant believe it but today I decided not to go with the cold cap, after chatting to Drs they advised the chance of keeping my hair on fec-t was minimal and the constant worry of will it go- wont it, I decided to make the choice, it will go and at least I know that... enough to worry over me thinks without that one, well I feel fine at mo but knew I would from your posts, had pizza and salad for tea so now its the roller coaster of SE's will i wont i, oh its a guessing game 🙂 Best wishes to you all, hope you se's are tiny ickle ones

Love Janice x

GeorgieB

Had a lovely day with my sister and her friend but obviously talked too much as the side of my tongue is really sore - I bought manuka honey a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember what I should do with it!.??

Kittyqueen

KQ reporting in to HQ

Well I'm back and it wasn't so bad so far.....feel okish at the min but I don't really know what to expect as yet....tried the cold cap and I had no problem wearing it throughout but I guess we'll see in the next 10/14 days. Going to have a baked pot and beans for tea:)))
Hope everyone is feeling better
KQ xx

Kitcat

Good to hear how everyone is getting on, not in here much at the moment as I've been too tired to do much except lie on the bed. I'm finding the second chemo more challenging than the first but I guess that is the cumulative effect.

I did force myself to go out for a coffee for an hour this morning and was glad I made the effort although felt wiped out afterwards.

One thing I have noticed is that the effect of the chemicals on my face is really showing up and I wondered if anyone has any tips to deal with that? My skin was previously almost completely unlined and now in the space of four weeks is covered in tiny lines so I look much older.

I'm not one for going to things so won't be doing a FGLB course as I wear plenty of make-up in the daytime anyway. Just wondered if there were any tips about skin care?

To Parsnip, think it may have been you who mentioned cystitis... that can be a problem with the EC treatment as I've suffered it myself. I thought it might have been worse to be honest as I get terrible problems even when I'm not on chemo but I found if I drank plenty, up to about day 10, it certainly helped the symptoms.
KC

Wolsty

Hi

LGFB session today and it was great and amazing things in goodie bag - definitely worth doing if you can.

Wore my wig out too and not too uncomfortable so all good xx

Guest user
Not applicable

March ladies being a little bit quieter today, must be the lovely weather. Hope everyone is OK?

Had a nice little trip into town and enjoyed coffee and scone. Went to my husbands Golf Club for a dring, but only fancied bitter lemon. We have booked a table there for dinner tonight, so looking forward to that. Sat amd given myself a minicure this afternoon whilst watching the TV and going through Avon book. Haven't had one of those put through my door in absolutely ages. Ordered a few things, mainly for hubby so I could get a free bag and contents (method in my madness). Don't need anything for myself really, well stocked up with costmetics. Besides I've got my LGFG session tomorrow.

Look forward to hearing from you later.

Take care

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning to everyone

Lovely day here on the east coast (Norfolk). Feeling good today (15) and had shower/washed hair. All quiet on that front so far but it's early days. Will be thinking of all the ladies going today for their first or next treatments. I'm sure you will all be fine and get through it without any hiccups.

Going into our local town with hubby later this mornig and call in and get coffee and scone, what a treat. Please to say that the Diclofenic tab has sorted my back/muscle problem, fingers crossed. Got my Onch' and LGFG appointment tomorrow. Blood test next Monday and next (2nd) juicing on 3rd, which is a week today. Best make the most of this glorious week.

Nice to hear from ladies that have not posted for a while and that everything is OK, as far as they can be. We are all slowly getting familiar with our particular s/e's and will hopefully be able to control them after subsequent sessions. Just have to make sure the temperature behaves its self and we drink plenty of water. I wonder how many times the word water and s/e's has been mentioned since we started this thread? I will make it my personal mission not to mention water again in my messages!

EBHippo - Good luck with blitzing the house, I do a little here and there. Vey much a spur of the moment person. Once I start then I'm off like a train. My pet hate is dusting, so need to do that first otherwise it waits until the next day. Thankfully my husband is very domesticated. Ex forces and knows what he's doing and irons like a machine, so fast. I'm a slow coach, one eye on the TV the other on the ironing. As far as I'm concerned if you can't see it then it doesn't get ironed!

Off to town now so will catch up with you all again later.

Best wishes

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

I didnt mean to worry anyone about diets!
I think i got most of it off a site i go on for my type of cancer ..there are only about 12 Brits with it! I always thought i was 'special' (grins)..
Well at last it seems i have a good oncologist who knows something about my type and ..older ladies (did i say older ladies)? in not so good health...so loads of tests ahead ..before the chemo..unless she says i must have an op..i only want a lumectomy..and i think its grown a lot while i have been waiting (another story)..

Good luck to todays ladies going for their chemo...xx

Kittyqueen

Morning all,

Sorry not been about had no wifi connection at hotel this weekend and had to catch up with work last night etc.....
aving big panic attack this morning before my first session...I think it's finally hit me that it IS happening today as I am very good at living somewhere else in my head.....had a hissy fit cos not got any hats...so just ordered some random ones on line...one with a fringe lol..am drinking water like it's gone out of fashion. My cousin came to see me last night and she is into crysatl healing and she brought me a lovely piece of celestine that I should keep by my bed...made me laugh by saying imagine Mr blobby squashing all the cancer cells whilst you're having the chemo but not to be angry with them and wave them off on a holiday and tell the cancer I don't need it anymore...cheered me up x
Hugs to everyone who's just had their firsts I haven't had chance to catch up on everything just yet... my appointment is at 11.30 so will try and check in later xxxxx

EBHippo

Hello to all the Marchies, and anybody else popped in to read what the Mad Marchies are getting up to !!!

Well no 2 is coming round a bit too quickly for my liking, blood tests today, appt with Onc tomorrow and cocktails on Thursday. Just starting to feel normal again, taste buds back and not feeling so tired any more.

Supersue, how is the hair holding on, strangely since shaving mine its been a lot better. I found it quite distressing leaving a trail around the house etc though since its been shaved now finding bald spots, especially on the side where I must lay on it in the night. Slowly getting used to the wig - I went into work for the afternoon yesterday and everybody said it looked really good, though I do still feel a little self concious.

Looks like another sunny day in store, washer been on overtime since my youngest son came home from Uni but think after today it should all be done. Planning to blitz house today and re-stock freezer then know that I can have duvet days without the worry. Think planning in advance and keeping busy stops me thinking about Thursday.

Good luck to all out there with juicings this week and a special hug for those about to have no 1. Believe me I was petrified and it is do-able, just drink plenty and keep on top of the meds.

Love and hugs to all, liz xxxxx

waiting_too

Hello ladies,

It’s been so long I had to look back to remind myself of all your names. Beryl, Lydia, wintersock (– great photo), georgieB, Gabbylamb, Parsnip and Patchit, megsmum and Angelherts and poppyD, Carolyn, Jane, Nina, Rae, PoppyD, SuperSue, Jules, and Kt23 and pargayan. Welcome to the new names, too Pachit says we are up to about 50 marchies.

I was about to post on Mother’s day then got side tracked so you can see its been that long!
On mothers day, we had a ‘hair today gone tomorrow’ barbi in my garden and my OH gave me a no2. army haircut. The kids and friends joined in to try to ‘normalize’ it for me and for them. I can send you a link to pics on flicker if interested. The Dr’s were right, pretty much day 17 &18 the hair was coming out in clumps. I will stop changing my profile pic and keep this new wigged-out me. Since then I’ve been wearing a ‘bunnet’ around the house (sort of like Foggy on ‘last of the summer wine’) it gives me comfort and keeps me warm. I wear my lovely wig when I go out.

Had my second chemo and boy what a difference for me, really manageable. I was so afraid the first time and the side effects were hard though only for 48hrs. THIS TIME, whilst they lasted about 2-3 days max I could cope with it. I just had to keep on top of the nausea, take my anti-nausea tabs and eat little, often, drink like a fish and keep busy - tidy up, short walks, prepare food. Just like early pregnancy, as I’ve written in earlier posts. Now i just feel that I need to rest.

By now almost all of us will have had at least one ‘juicing’ so we are in this together for the good days and the bad. My sis has been here giving me the injections to boot the white blood cells but she goes back soon so my OH is about to have a lesson - ouch !

Some of you have said you have difficulty sleeping. Have you thought about asking for a mild sleeping tablet to help. I take one on the ‘low’ days and it knocks me out.
[ASK for WHAT you NEED]. We don't get 'extra points' for suffering when there's an alternative.

Sending you lots of virtual hugs.
Clare

GeorgieB

My post disappeared again yesterday! Wig visit was not fun! The trouble was the pre chemo nurse said she was fun, funky, loads of ideas etc, my friend said the look of horror on her face when I said " I hear you are funky" she showed me three magazines and that was it. I think at the end of the day she knew her stuff but warm, fun, no way - she reminded me of someone from the WI ( hope I don't offend anyone) so I still don't know how to tie a head scarf!
Yesterday I debated whether to go to Zumba but luckily chose to go for a walk with my friend as even that was exhausting! I know now is the time not to diet but my daughter is getting married in October and I would hate to be over weight!! Luckily I don't seem to have much appetite and have with fish and chicken.
Have a lovely day everyone, my sister is coming to visit with a friend of hers who found a lump the same day as me and is due to start chemo very soon.
Love Georgie xxxx

wintersocks

Hi Choccie,

What a source of info you are. I do yes, feel a bit jittery at times and I think that is the steroids. I have checked on other posts and others have described this feeling.

I have just checked my posting and it is indeed dem (wotisit) I am on, so i will indentify it in my pill box and take it earlier.

My OH sorted out meds for me so that explAins my dis-organisation. Although he says I am anyway, and that 's probably true.

Thank-you CM.

WS

Patchit

Supersue, big hug to you, so sorry you are feeling so low. Its not surprising, you have had so much to cope with recently. Don’t be too hard on yourself, I am sure you don’t need a kick up the bum, maybe a big hug might be better for you! Life is really crap sometimes, we just need to get through it as best we can. I hope you can find something positive to focus on, instead of all the negative things. As others have said, we are all here for each other. Tomorrow is another day and I truly hope you will feel better than you do today.

CM, very many thanks again for your words of wisdom, especially around the diet / food issue. I feel that we could all beat ourselves up about the situation we find ourselves in, but there are so many things which contribute to BC, there really isn’t any ground to be made from doing that. I just try to eat healthily. There are something’s I have been doing which just felt right for me (Manuka honey, aloe juice to name a couple) but they may not suit other people, or others might not think they will help. There is so much information, some of it conflicting, that I found it best to just pick out the things that made sense to me and to go with those.

Wintersocks, sorry, I have thrown my steroid box away now, but CM has already answered you! I do write down each day what time I take which meds as its easy to get mixed up. Hope you get sorted out!
Parsnip, I got up to 44 people on my spreadsheet (Sorry, I know I am sad!), but I have a couple from the end of Feb on there and I am sure there are probably about 5 I have missed recently as I have been on the laptop lying down over the weekend! So I guess it would probably be about 50 Marvellous Marchies!

Lottie63 and Kittyqueen, very best of everything for tomorrow! You will be fine and your first one soon be over. Hugs to you both.

Have a good SE-free night lovely ladies
Joan xxx

lottie63

Hi
Thank you for the good luck message parsnip ,

Thanks beryl, wasnt sure what to take didnt think of the hand towel & anti bac gel, not really thinking straight at moment ... Hope I can get some sleep tonight, had very disturbed nights the last couple of days, fingers x

Love Janice x

ChoccieMuffin

Socks, if you have something called Dexamethasone, that's your steroid. Try to avoid taking it after 2pm, to avoid feeling "wired" all night. It is very helpful with nausea alongside the other tablets you've been given.

As for "XX feeds cancer", it is notoriously difficult to do any studies on different foods that stands up to scrutiny, because food is such a complicated issue. Some people get in a complete funk about what they eat, and end up worrying themselves sick and restricting their diet by cutting out loads of things, though it has not been proved to be necessary to cut out things (other than alcohol, which DOES have a link to BC).

I attended a presentation recently, given by a qualified nutritionist (or wash she a dietician? The one that has to study and get a proper qualification, whichever that one is). The advice was that a normal, healthy diet is what we should aim for. Unfortunately a lot of us don't eat a terribly healthy diet normally, so things like reducing your meat intake, increasing your fruit and veg intake, reducing your alcohol intake, increasing complex carbs instead of simple carbs, keeping variety in your diet and MODERATION IN ALL THINGS, was the advice she gave.

In brief, don't get in a state about your diet. If you're eating properly then you won't be going too far wrong.

I'm sure one of the mods may well pop in with the BC advice that BCC offers.

CM
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I thought I'd finished for the night until I came on just to have a quick look before switching off etc.

Supersue - A big hug across the miles for you. I know how you feel about your brother. I lost mine when he was only 50 (heart attack) and it was a total shock. He'd just arrived in Greece on holiday and didn't feel well. It took two weeks to get him home with all the red tape and then we were not allowed to pay our respects. He was the eldest son (I'm one of seven) and it hit us all very hard. Please believe me it does get better but it takes time, which I'm sure you know. When we feel low we dwell on the negative things and I try not to got there and be positive, but I have to work at it. My twin tries to keep me on that path. She's been there before, as you will probably remember from my earlier posts. Try and keep strong and you know that we are all here fighting with you.

ChoccieMuffin - Thanks again for all your input. It helps us to remember what we should be doing. Drink water, exercise and rest when we can. I've been keeping a daily journal, some relevant and some not but it helps to put your thoughts down.

Dulcie - didn't know that sugar and meat feeds cancer. Where did you get that from? They we're iffy about taking over the counter vitimins at the hospital. They did eventually approve that I take my normal multi-vit and iron table, plus my daily antihistamine (sensitive nose). Not been too bad about craving sugar.

I've been leaving my hair for three days before washing. Normally wash it every other day. Trying to be very gentle with it and only putting an afro/detangle combe through it about twice a day. Day 15 tomorrow so we will see how this week progresses. If it starts to come out in great amounts, then I guess cold cap will be off the agenda next week. It's a big hurdle for everyone and something we find the hardest.

What to take in your bag - well it's what you fancy. I took my Ipod for listening to music or playing scrabble. Book, tissues, anti-bacterial gell, hand towel. Snack bar, bottle of water and mobile phone, which we were allowed to us. Put it onto silent/vibrate so wouldn't disturb anyone. Also took a little teddy that my daughter gave me for a birthday years ago. Can't think of anything else.

Night night again and love to everyone and good luck for tomorrow.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Had a long day at work trying to finish or hand over work to colleagues!! Last day tomorrow and am trying to drink as much water as I can 2 litres today and going to try same tomorrow for 1st session Weds. How much water is enough? finding it difficult drinking so much but want to minamise SEs!!
Dulcie - You make me laugh, loved the bit about crossing the road in your coat! and the cream so funny!
CM - Its my OH with the cafe but I can assure you I will not be going anywhere near the kitchen but will remember!
Marie 67 - Funnily enough I love going to Southport, got lots of lovely shops there especially shoe shops, my OH calls me Imelda Marcos because of my love for shoes.
So many posts to read, really enjoy hearing how every is getting on. I will have more time when I finish work to post hopefully!!
Best wishes everyone
Mary P xx

Parsnip

Evening all, march does seem a busy time with all the people on here this month, has one of you ladies with a spreadsheet done a head count? Thanks for comments re hairloss, it's still hitting me hard but is starting to settle somewhat uncomfortably now, I'm sure it'll get easier with time. I didn't use the cold cap and I hope it works for those that are trying it. I was told my dose dense regime meant it just didn't have a chance of working so I didn't try. Beryl your caravan sounds ideal for a few days away in between sessions at the moment, hopefully you'll feel up to it at some point.
Big hugs supersue, I can't imagine how difficult it is for you at the moment, this blasted bc just doesn't care what other stuff you've been through. I hope you have good support and they can help you through this.
Good luck for tomorrow lottie, hope it all goes smoothly.
I have my third of eight sessions on Thursday if all goes well, currently in discussions over whether the cystitis I'm suffering is from an infection or irritation from the cyclophosphamide. Bc is the gift that keeps on giving isn't it.
Hope eevryone has a good evening and gets some sleep tonight
Xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Marie67 Bebington was where i was born lol..i bet i know your family?
Oh! my son found the sugar connection and my doc is sending me to a dietician to cut out most sugar and other choices rather than meat...
No chocolate....yummy that choclate pudding i just ate was lovely!!!
Corrie back on again...

wintersocks

Hello Joan,
T

hanks for that which ones are the steriods? what are they called?

WS.

poppyD

Hi
supersue
sorry to hear about your brother it must be difficult to come to terms with. thinking of you.

Lydia, every day is different hope tommorow is a better one. Which centre are you hoping to go forLGFB. PM me if you want to talk

hope all those who cancelled trips will get a chance to do something to lift their spirits soon.

Dulcie i dont know which diets you have looked at i have just bought a book on intergrative treatment written by an American onco and in intend to follow his advice if I can

Even when struggling I try to get out and walk.I went on mcmillan site where an ONco says it helps with nausea and fatigue although I accept it is difficult when you feel wrecked

love to you all

Poppy x

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening ladies
Another glorious day here in Norfolk I was optimistic this morning that hair was still attached, but like you Supersue it now appears to be coming out several strands at a time, so hubby will have to charge his clippers for alter in week.Am hoping hair will still be okish tomorrow as need to sort out my edlerly gran she is 96 bless her and has very poor short term memory, and keeps forgetting that I have bc and am having chemo, so each visit is difficult.

Dulcie you must stay aqueous cream has a whole new meaning!!!!Prior to starting my chemo we went to visit my hubbys family who live in Wirral they are spread around New Ferry, Rock Ferry and Bebbington areas.We took a trip to Southport while we were there it was lovely and Peanut I didi realise it's not that far from Blackpool.
Hope all that started chemo today are doing ok and for those who have it later in the week I wish you well.
Jane

ChoccieMuffin

FAAAR too many people to respond to individually, but a couple of thoughts.

Wigs - for those of you into cooking (who is it with a caff?) BE CAREFUL NEAR THE OVEN! I have a friend who melted the front of her favourite wig when she opened a hot oven and the hot air just hit her.

Hair loss - yep, it completely sucks. But even with herceptin mine looked like an ordinary (if very severe) haircut by November. So it's not a year of being bald, but six or seven months.

Exhaustion - when you feel tired, give in and just rest. It isn't forever, so don't beat yourself up about just not being up to doing what you would have done three months ago.

Exercise - if you can get yourself out for a short stroll every day, you'll be doing yourself some good. But if you're just too pooped to, then lay back and summon another cup of tea from the OH, the kids, or whoever you can persuade to fill the kettle.

Sickness - keep a notebook where you can write WHEN you take your meds, and any side-effects and times of them too. That way, when you go back for next time's pre-chemo you can say things like "got a really sore mouth from about day 5 to about day 12 when everything tasted yuck" or "I took the ondansetron at 2pm, but threw up at 3pm and again at 3.30, 4.10 and 5.05. Can you give me something stronger?" If you have that level of detail, you'll get the best adjustments for you.

Feeling low - you can EXPECT chemo to make you feel tearful occasionally. It messes with your hormones and we all know what messed up hormones are like. Sue, I'll deliver that kick up the rear end, but only in very soft fluffy slippers rather than hob-nailed boots. (I find a slap in the face with a wet haddock does a similar job.)

AND FINALLY...

You've had lesson 1: Don't be too hard on yourself

Remembered lesson 2: Ask for help when you need it.

Be specific with your requests. If someone says "let me know if there's anything I can do", then say "thanks, I haven't cleaned the bathroom for days, would you mind?" If they don't mind, then they'll feel good that they were able to help and will offer again, and if they DO mind, they won't offer again but at least you'll have a clean bathroom! (Other suggestions include:
"Can you pick up the kids from school and drop them home?" (or even have them for tea!)
"I have a mountain of ironing..." (I never needed to ask that one, I never do any.)
"I have to go to the supermarket for XXX, would you mind coming with me to keep me company and load and unload the car?"

Right then, roast chicken and roasted root veg is nearly ready, so just have to put on the peas and make the gravy. Yum!

Love to all,

CM
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening everyone.

Had a meeting with genetics from leiscester today. they think they have found a third breast cancer gene can you believe it. I've agreed to be a guniee pig and find out if i have any links to it. sending extra cuddles out to the ladies feeling low today, may your soul recharge while you sleep for a better day tomorrow. Had a good blowt today too. feel loads better for it, it was lovely to hear the lady from the hospital say its ok to cry and it doesn't mean your not being strong.

Hugs and kisses to all x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Sue my heart goes out to you bless you and try and stay strong ..i hope you have some good friends xx
I am usually around till way after midnight ..if you need a chat!
Lottie good luck tomorrow...if you look back a bit there is advice on what to take with you xx
It might have already been said...sugar and meat feed cancer there are diets ...beef is a definate no no...but strangely sugar is what you crave on chemo...
Vit D levels need to be checked too...you all are probably way ahead of me ..so i am sorry in advance...

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Beryl xx So looks like we will get the money back...great!
If i didnt laugh ..i would cry and never stop ...everything has gone wrong for me with this cancer..from the word go...in fact we will be 'having' this first consultant..
and the second..i dare not tell you about..cos you would not believe it!!!
So my way is to TRY and laugh..when my time comes.. for chemo i will be watching Jim Davidson and whoever else makes me laugh..Bernard Manning..etc..(my tastes are usually a little more ...shall i say..up market)
I went out to the shops in a summer dress and cardie...i forgot that i had a'sparkly' vest peeping out over the top! at least it wasnt the thermal one!lol
Some old chap 80 plus...was looking at my rather swollen tummy..(bowel trouble) my excuse...he passed a comment about my pretty frock..but he was really looking at my tummy...maybe he thought i was one of those 'older' ladies who wanted a baby..God's strewth at the thought!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh SuperSue....big hugs for you. It's hard losing your hair. I'm lying here all kojak like & hating it. I have/had thick hair so feeling very naked. At least there are some eyebrows & eye lashes still here.

Need to drag myself off the sofa & cook to reduce the nausea for a while.

Twinky x

lottie63

Hi Ladies
I have my first chemo tomorrow morning, could you advise me what I need to take, is there anything that I will def need ? really not sure whats ahead of me sort of dreading it but looking forward to one down 5 to go .... at least once this one is over I will know what to expect for nbumber 2, any tips pleeeease 🙂

Love janice x

Guest user
Not applicable

supersue 😞 lots hugs for you. Its so hard when you are having to deal with so many things at once. Im not very good with words of comfort like others on here, but please believe me when I say I understand you being so down and there will be a light at the end of this. My hair thing is the huge chasm at the moment, and Im sure the ladies here have to lesser and more degrees gone through the mental trauma of it. Although we are not together in person we are all here as a strong support of each other, come what may.
God bless you hun

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,
Coming back later to read posts, just wanted to say hi, i feeling really low, think its because i know my hair will not last much longer, if the wind blows it will be gone. if i pull on it gently with finger and thumb loads of strands come out. i'm not very self confident, after years of emotional abuse its hard to get your mind clear and do things for yourself.
I'm also not looking forward to my 2nd juicing on thursday, think i need a good cry i find it hard to cry anymore, had so much to put up with, i lost my younger brother aged 48 on June 29th 2011 suddenly of heart failure, i not even got over that yet need to sort out his plaque at the crematorium yet.

I'll be fine, just need a kick up the bum, X

Guest user
Not applicable

lovely ladies! How much a day can swing from tears to feeling so good. I started the day as I had my weekend in the depths, but a friend called round, we had a little lunch and I went back to work this afternoon, now I feel 100 per cent better :).

Please stay with us Dulcie Im so enjoying your adventures! Im sorry for all who have been suffering, Caren and Chascat and Wintersocks Debh and Twinky and I really hope you start to pick up now.

Mollie you are a day after me I think, Ive got the nasty metallic taste, ewww

Lovely news Poppy about your visit

Patchit

Wintersocks, make sure you dont take your steroiids this late in the day!

Hug for you xxx
Joan

Patchit

Hello ladies

After my lack of sleep again last night, I decided to put some make up on and go down to work for a couple of hours. I am really glad that I did, it has made me feel so much better. I know not everyone is in the same position as me and some of you can’t go into work, so I am sorry that you don’t have the same opportunity. It just made me feel ‘normal’ again!

PoppyD, glad you had such a nice day with your family yesterday, I bet that perked you up a little? Along with the pampering, of course!

Dulcie, I am glad you have decided to stay with us for the ride. Your posts are very entertaining! Makes my life sound dull! Your living arrangements sound Ab Fab! I could have done with another house to send my OH to last night! Your OH’s sleep apnoea sounds dreadful! You have a great sense of humour about it all though!

GeorgieB, I am about 8 miles north of Stevenage in Herts. Near J10 of the A1(M)! Where are you in Bucks?

Mollie43, Caren and Twinky, glad you are feeling a little better, get over the next couple of days, I am sure you will feel brighter as the week goes on.

Debh, good luck to you for minimal SE’s this time round.

Lydia, sorry you didn’t make it to work today. Tomorrow is another day, eh? Maybe better luck then! Fingers crossed for you. I had a really low day yesterday, and it made me feel better today to just get dressed in nicer clothes (rather than my old lounging around joggers!) and put my make up on. Thanks for your advice re the hat. I have also heard back from Nicky who suggests ‘Claudia’ as it’s a slightly looser fit or ‘Kimmy’ with a scarf over the top, but I think that would defeat the object for me as it’s the scarf tying I am trying to get out of!! I hadn’t thought about ordering a slightly larger size. Time I make my mind up, my hair will be grown back!

Wolsty, glad the fog is lifting for you. The pimms sounds like a real tonic! Thanks for the hat tip, I will have a look. God! I sound like I am making such a fuss about a ruddy hat! Sorry ladies!

Off to finish getting dinner now
Have a good evening ladies,

Hugs and xxx
Joan

wintersocks

Hello all,

can't post have literally been sleeping the whole time. I can't believe how wrecked i feel. how are others able to work thru this I don't know.

have mixed my meds up so don't know wot taking when. OH well.

Will do longer post when more energy.

Gillian x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ducie and Jane (Wolsy) we crossed posted. We did get all our money back apart from our excess of £80 each. Airline and insurance divied up, thought the Insurance Co., might try and pull a fast one, but they didn't. We have annual travel insurance with them which runs out in Sept this year,but we won't be travelling abroad until next year if all goes well. Sorting all the red tape was a real night mare. Doctor was really good but charged us £20 for the priviledge. Anyway, can't complain it all worked out. Dulcie your humour makes me laugh, I'm sure we are all imagining the picture of you going over there in your nightie and frightening you. What a hoot but of course it wasn't for you at the time. I can understand about the driving issue, dangerous or what? Perhaps someone should have a word when he's awake! I'm now laughing my head off. You have to stay with the Marchies so we can get updated etc. By back problem is due to bending over at a funny angle, putting something in the bin. Had a lower back muscle problem a few years ago (step aerobics) and sometimes it reminds me. Diclofenic has worked wonders today and have just taken another. They were given for my injection s/e's - great anti-inflmatory. I'm walking around without any discomfort which is great.

Night,night all and hope everyone has a good one.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies

Such a lot to catch up with and don't think my brain can get to everyone, so sorry in advance.

Firstly would like to wish everyone well who has had chemo session today and those going tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you.

Chascat - (Lydia) Sorry your plans didn't work out for you today and that you are having difficulty sleeping. I'm still popping a sleep tablet, but tonight will be the last one. Going to try tomorrow night without and see how I go. Got more energy this week and my appetite back. Making up for the last couple of weeks, but trying to moderate it as much as I can. I try not to think of the 'what if's' because there's nothing we can do about it. It's just another thing we have to trust what is being thrown at us, the other we have no control. Try not to let your head go there if you can, I know it's easier said than done.

I was surprised to find there was a LGFG at our local hospital. The leaflet I was given originally showed either Norwich or Cambridge, which is an hours drive. Saw a poster in our hospital Chemo Unit advertising one there. Originally told nothing until late May, but got a cancellation phone call for this Wednesday. This being my good week, so to say,this works out nicely, fingers crossed.

Debh, Twinky and Caren - Hope things start to get better for you in the next day or two. Not looking forward to my next session. Best I can hope for is that the next lot of s/e's don't change because the meds I've now got should control them. Here's hoping they are less or the same.

Mollie - The horrible metallic taste is about par for the course. I just made myself drink loads of water and have only just, this last day been able to drink warm/hot cups of tea. Sucked ice pops like they were going out of fashion to try and reduce sore mouth feeling. This session avoided any nasties in my mouth. Let's hope it lasts.

Dulcie - I didn't know about Aqueous cream, but I wouldn't have thought of sticking it there in the first place (HA HA). One to remember just in case. I did know about gardening gloves/plastic gloves. It's amazing what you read in the papers.

Mary (Peanut) Hope you are enjoying your time with daughter and family. Wedneday (28) big day for you and your first session. Will be thinking of you, no doubt you will post before then.

Anyone who hasn't posted for a while - I do hope you are OK and keeping the s/e's at bay.

Take care everyone.

Beryl XX

Wolsty

Hi ladies

What gorgeous weather! Had my 2nd session a week ago and the chemo fog has lifted today so am hoping for a couple of good weeks now.

Even managed a glass of Pimms in the sunshine today and it tasted delicious. I have my LGFB session tomorrow at Maggies centre in Charing Cross Hospital - not quite sure what to expect but hope it is good fun.

Dulcie - I would definitely stay and then join April group as well and flit between the two - the best of both worlds! My 1st chemo was on 27th Feb or technically I'm not a Marchie! So laughed at your aqueous cream story!

Beryl - my back was bad too about a week after my first session. Felt like I had really strained it but apparently it can be a SE from the chemo/Neulasta so I was prescribed Codyramol this time which has really helped. Hope your's feels better soon - a bad back is really debilitating. I was supposed to be going skiing at the weekend which has also had to be cancelled. Instead I am taking my eldest daughter (14) to Bath for a couple of nights whilst my OH takes the youngest (12) to Alton Towers!!

Joan - I got some good hats from http://www.wigtrendz.co.uk - the Christine make are lovely and lightweight too.

Twinky - why do we get such a bloody nose - have to keep an eye on mine cos suddenly starts leaking when I least expect it to and get some rather hot looks Have bought a tub of Vaseline and thought I might shove some up to see if that helps!

Caren - sorry you're feeling so rough - I think days 4-7 are definitely the worse - hope you feel better tomorrow.

Hope everyone else OK. I'm in Ealing, West London - anyone nearby?

Jane x