cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Angelherts - What a lovely encouraging message from you and I send my own personal CONGRATULATIONS for coming on to up-date us about how it was for you after going through your first chemo. It's amazing what goes through our minds and especially after first session because it is so alien to us. You certainly had it really rough with your allergic reaction and getting over it. I love red grapes and will have to add them to our next shopping list. We normally have them but have run out. I'm already going through TAX with cyclophophamide each session so don't know what the FEC side is like. Injections are a pain but thank goodness I didn't have a reaction but just the bone aches. Well done getting through all of this so far. I'm sure you will be fine with TAX.

CarrieR - You sound like you have a nice community around you to help out in such a way. There are so many nice people around and it must so encouraging for you. Thank you for coming on here and telling some of your experiences so far. Keep joining in whenever you feel like it. Thank you.

Peanut (Mary) - Glad to hear you are OK and made it back from the wig appointment OK and you found a wig that you liked. Helena should be home by now but nothing come through yet via text. They are going out tonight to a friends dinner party so she has probably got side tracked. Probably out walking their lab who must have missed her. It was nice having her here and the bungalow is really quiet now without her. I've been watching the musical Grease on the telly which takes me back along time. John has gone out to play golf and the dark clouds have started to come in, hopefully the rain will hold off until he gets back.

Hope everyone else is OK and not suffering any s/e's today and are taking it easy. This is my good week coming up and I'm already starting to feel my appetite coming back and fancying more things. Should have been last night when we went out for a meal, ah well, can't have everything in the order we want.

Bye for now and take care all.

Beryl XX

Patchit

Gemcat, I also meant to say that your watery eyes are probalbly dry eyes. I know that sounds odd but I had the same thing and asked at the chemist. They told me chemo can dry your tears out but they work extra hard to compensate. I bought some dry eye drops and they certainly worked for me. You should tell your onc about your sore veins, they will have a look and advise you what is best for you.

Angelhearts, what a fantastic upbeat post, its great to read something so positive, especially when I remember how things were for you first time round! WELL DONE! Its certainly a worry, the blood count and I am in the same position as not having the injections any more. I tried to be good with my diet etc, but my WBC was only (sorry, cant remember, OH thinks around 3!), dont know what my neuts were! You certainly deserve that pat on the back, keep it up!

Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again,

Gemcats and Angelhearts, I'm sorry but there was a typo in my earlier msg. I meant to say lowest days are 5-15 (and yes, Angel, I was told 10-15 were the lowest lowest for FEC, too...lowest point is a bit earlier for Tax, days 7-10, I believe). Your bloods sound great! Well done! I'm going to try your juices. When mine were re-tested this week my neuts had gone up to 4.4. My onc was annoyed because I was tested too early due to the Easter hols. He said if it happened again I should have them re-tested on chemo day, bc they can rise quite quickly.

Gemcats, I have small kids, too - the three little ones are 3, 5 and 7. Like you I have a very helpful dh, which is a godsend. But we've also asked for help from the families in my daughter's classes. Our school community is very supportive, but I've been quite open about what's going on and our class contacts (a parent who sends out messages to every family from the teacher or whatever) has organised a rota so that we get two meals cooked for us each week and playdates for the girls. Weeks that i'm feeling ok I cancel, but it has been such a huge help. We have found that people are so keen to help out, esp where the children are concerned. Have you had the book 'Mummy's Lump' from your breast care unit? We think it's very good and it helped my girls understand from the start what would be happening.

Carrie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies.

I am going to be entirely selfish today and wanted to post a CONGRATS note to myself 😉

I am now Day 11 of FEC2 (100 brand) and as you all know I had an anaphylaxis allergic reaction to the GCSF injections - and therefore my little body has to build up it's WBC and Neuts on it's own.

This time last session I was a shivering, nervous, emotional WRECK! I didn't sleep AT ALL because I convinced myself that I might fall asleep and my temperature could rise whilst I was asleep and I could fall into a coma and die. I was checking my temperature every few minutes and barely left the house. I even convinced myself I would die if I got stung by a wasp. I got so panicky I even struggled for breath sometimes and I was almost paralysed with fear.

Well here I am - after session 2 - still alive and SLEEPING !.

I don't know what has changed this time but I've refused to let the fear take over my life and so far this time I've only checked my temperature on 2 days. The 2nd day being last night after I suddenly got earache in both ears and a headache. Even then though I only allowed myself to wait 2 hours (checking once each hour) before I told myself that clearly it wasn't increasingly much and therefore sleep would be more beneficial to my body and at 1am I gave in and slept. A HUGE improvement.

The chemo nurses actually told me that you WOULD wake if you turned really ill in the night, and I think that really helped.

Thanks to Gemcat and Carrie posting their blood results - I can now see that my bloods did a fantastic job of recovering on their own (my neuts were 3 and WBC = 5 before Chemo2), so am hoping that this time around my body is recovering well again.

I was told immunity at lowest during days 10-14 (so now) so each hospital varies with it's advice.

Just wanted to pat myself on the back because the fear of our illnesses and SE's can become overwhelming and people don't really understand what we are going through.

So to anyone else living in fear of SE's and infections - please be assured that things do get easier, although ALWAYS check if you have concerns. Of course those of FEC-T have to learn all over again what's "normal" when we change to Tax.

Re TAX - just wanted to say that I met a lady at my chemo that ALSO had the allergic (anaphylaxis) reaction to the GCSF jabs, like me, and she has just had her 2nd TAX - without ANY allergic reaction to it. She did get the "trots" and bone aches but in her words today "I survived it all again so it can't of been that bad". She only has 1 more TAX to go now.

Also thanks for the Red Grapes tip. I have just "juiced" a pack of fresh red grapes with a pack of frozen rasperries and 1 apple. OMG - you have never tasted anything so delicious !! And it boosts my WBC at the same time - that's the sort of "Medicine" I like !

Going to walk the dogs now for my WBC boosting exercise - what happened to that snivelling wreck ;-O

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Well I have chosen my wig and it will be ready for next week.The lady was lovely and tried on loads of different styles and colours but gone with similar style that i already have.
Wolsty- sorry to hear about your nausea, i had terrible nausea but oncologist gave me emend for next time so hopefully will be ok. I relly hope you get it sorted xx
Rae- I am going to put something on the national, i tend to go with names i like!!
Dulcie- when i went to chemo ward it had those recliner seats in and the nurse sat with me the whole time she was given me chemo, she did talk a lot but suppose it kept my mind of things!
Gemcat- Welcome to the forum, everyone on here is in the same boat and are really friendly and helpful. I am due my 2nd FEC on weds 18th. Its hard when you have young children to take care so ask for what you want and take all offers of help. I have been lucky and not suffered a sore mouth but i get a mettalic taste in my mouth and the ice pops are really refreshing. I am also wearing the cold cap and so far minimal hair loss but only time will tell. good luck thinking of you xx
Waitingtoo- I know what you mean when your mood gets low, its really hard sometimes but you will get through it and i think it helps when you can say what you want on here because everyone understands Hugs xx
Beryl- Hope Helena gets home ok. My appetite not great either but managing little and often.
Thinking of everyone
Mary xx

Patchit

Hi Gemcat
Welcome to the March chemo thread, wish you weren't having to join us but its good to have a bit of hand holding along the way! You will get lots of support on here which I find makes it all easier to bear.

I am also on FEC-T. I had my 3rd on last Thursday which has wiped me out a bit more than normal - in fact, just got up from a snooze! I also alternate between hot and cold, have had most the SE's you mention and also not had a period. I had one after my first FEC but nothing since then, which really added to my mood last week. I felt really down and teary, just how you describe really. All I can say is that you WILL feel better. One day at a time, your mood will lift once your hormones have settled down a bit. Do you suffer PMT? I think you can still get that even though you might not have the actual period. It must be really hard with young children to care for, but it sounds like your hubby is being really fab at taking up the reigns. There are some other ladies on here with young children who I am sure will pop along to give you some words of encouragement. My boys are 20 and 24 so more self-sufficient (did I really just say that?!).

Take care, big hug to you, remember you are half way through nearly!

Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Cath (Gemcat) - Thank for response. No, I suck ice pops after chemo when my mouth starts to feel tender. I find them refreshing and sooths mouth/tongue when feeling sore. Tenderness in mouth feels like you've eaten or drunk something slightly too hot etc. I probably have two or three a day and they work for me. Probably after these treatments have finished I won't want another ice pop ever again!! I tend to take sleep tablet as a matter of course to get me through the fatigue days because I need my sleep. I now don't check my temp unless I feel there's something not quite right. It's generally because I'm tired that I'm not feeling OK and have probably tried to do too much. My girls have grown up now and live away, so I can do pretty much what I want and when, which makes a huge difference. No additional demands on my energy levels and not working either because retired. When they said I have enough NI's contributios for pension that was it. Friends of mine said that I would get bored and work part-time - I don't think so!

I'm sure when the others get on here they will be re-assuring you about symptons/se's. We know we have to watch out for bugs and be careful but there are times when no matter what we do some little blighter will try and sneak in

I'm not going to bang the drum about being positive because we all know that we have to try to be, but it's not easy. Come on here and let out whatever you need to. We are all here for each other.

Enjoy the rest of your day and I hope it's a nice sunny one wherever you are.

Best wishes

Beryl XX

Gemcat1701

Oh Beryl, thanks for your lovely message. It is very reassuring. No they haven't changed my chemo meds, just given me the gcsf, plus anti sickness, steroids, indigestion tabs and yes, sleeping pills which I should take more often. It's just in the middle of the night I get a bit scared when I get hot, I don't want to knock myself out with sleeping pills in case I have a fever! This sounds a bit bonkers doesn't it. I am relieved to hear you suffer with the hot & cold thing too - not nice for anyone, but if it's a normal side effect then 'phew!'
I do drink more water than before, but not lots so will up my intake. With the ice pops do you mean eating them during chemo to freeze the mouth in similar way to cold cap on head?
I'm going to try and some pilates now, which should make me feel more positive.
Have a good day.
Cath 🙂

Gemcat1701

Hi Carrie
Thanks for your reassurance re the neuts. I didn't know that about day 15.

For those of you about to have PICC line or similar, I was offered it, chose not to and now I'm suffering with sore veins so regretting my decision. I hope it works out well for you.

Feeling a bit better now! Virtual hugs to u all.
Cath

Guest user
Not applicable

Just afternoon ladies

Back from town as we decided not eat lunch out. We had coffee and scone instead and neither of us are hungry now. Town very busy because of the weather and I can't believe how many people were wating in line outside the Bookies to place a bet of the National! I normally just pick one out of the parade ring just so I've got something to cheer on. Not that I agree with the National because the fences are just to high for the poor horses and jockey's. Anyway, I will watch it whilst holding my breath.

Gemcat - What a time you are having with your treatment and two small children to help care of as well. My heart goes out to you and send a huge hug as well. My lymps were not effected and cancer was picked up on routine but nothing could be felt as lump. Consultant said he could just feel a little thickening. Thank goodness for routine mams that's all I can say. Glad I'm having chemo is many ways because I know they are throwing everything at me and as I was borderline it's a bit scarry that I may not have been given it. I'm not on FEC my is TC which is a slightly different mix over 4 sessions. After the first session I did get a bit paranoid about checking temp etc. My se's have been minimal because of mix of tabs given for chemo and injections for wbc. Have you been drinking loads of water before and after chemo? Touchwood my mouth hasn't been an issue because of water, codysyl mouth wash and ice pops. These may not have all contributed but I do feel that they have helped. My mouth issue was one of the first questions I was asked when I went to my first post chemo appt' with Onc. If you are not sleeping well have you asked for any sleep tabs to help you out when you need them? The hot and cold thing I can relate to along with everything else because they all seem par for the course no matter what drugs you are on. They all hit us hard but they try to make sure that we have everything we need to minimise them. Have they changed any of your meds from first session to deal with nausea? Sorry to keep asking you questions.

Keep coming on here because it does help to join in and get feedback to your posts and we are not alone going through this.

You take care and chin up!

Best wishes

Beryl XX

My husband is being a rock as well, just like so many others on here and we would do the same for them if we had/needed to. It's hard not to be negative when you are feeling so poorly and run down, we all go through it and try to deal with it in so many ways. Coming on here sure helps to vent feelings and get support. As I've said before it's not all about BC on here, we can talk about anything we like and quite often is quite light hearted. I'm sure that the ladies on here who are on FEC will be joining in and helping you very shortly.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,
Hope you don't mind me popping in from Feb 2012.

Gemcat - neuts of .8 on Day 10 don't sound too bad to me. Your lowest days on FEC are days 15, and anything over 1.0 is considered decent, so I reckon by day 15 you'll be well into normal figures. I didn't have gcsf for FEC 2 (had a bad reaction to it) and my neuts were only .4 on day 18! But I wasn't at all poorly or even feeling bad. (Chemo was delayed for a week, though, boo hiss.)I saw your other post and wanted to mention that I'm certainly feeling the cold more whilst on FEC.

Rae, I have a PICC line and was just saying to DH yesterday after FEC 3 how pleased I am to have had it from the get-go. My arm was sore for about 10 days after they put it in, but chemo and bloods are a breeze since they don't have to hunt around for a vein, and no soreness after treatment. I'm sure you'll be really happy with a portacath.

Hugs to all of you...we're doing this!!! 🙂

Carrie x
edit: that should say lowest days are 5-15! chemo brain strikes again!

waiting_too

RAe, I also have a portacath and I'm so glad. It was sore going in for a few minutes in the theatre and I was tender for a few days but it beats the arms any day. MAKE SURE they leave a tube coming out so that you can have your chemo without them needing to puncture your skin - this first time round.

Also try to stay 'on top' of your SE's since you'll be a bit sensitive after having the port fitted. ASK for WHAT you NEED.

Clare
(currently on lowest days after chemo 3. last Wednesday)

raechi

And that was for dulcie goddam predictive text!

raechi

Oops blink not link !

raechi

Hi,
Dulcimer, just a quick one from me. I have had one FEC and it's wrecked my veins., even getting blood from me is a pain in the arse! So the unit suggested the portacath.
Got to dash, need to go pick up my glasses. Eyes have gone on the link too. :-).
Rae
X

Gemcat1701

Hi there everyone,
I started my chemo in March and am hoping you won't mind me joining you on here so far down the line? I am on FEC-T and due to have my 3rd and last FEC this Thurs. It seems I've been hit pretty hard by SE's. I spent 3 nights in hospital after 1st dose with Neutropenic sepsis, so after the second dose I did the Gcsf injections (which I'm very proud of that I did myself). However after the day 10 blood test my neuts were 0.8 - I was expecting them to be higher so ever since I've been really paranoid about my temp and constantly worrying about how I am feeling. I keep shifting between feeling hot and cold a lot, but not getting a fever. I've had headaches, watery eyes, sore mouth, dry skin, hair loss (natch), a little nausea but thankfully no sickness, and now I've realised it's about 38 days since my last period!!! So today I am feeling pretty much at rock bottom. I am just so sick of feeling rough and constantly worrying. I didn't sleep well last night, so I know this is a contributing factor. I have 2 kiddies, age 5 & 7 who are coping pretty well with it all, I have a part time job but haven't been since just before my op in February. My husband has been great taking on lots of the housework and being supportive but I just feel so lost and hopeless! Which is bad of me cos once this chemo and rads are over, I should be all done, as my lymph nodes were found to be clear. Sorry this is such a negative post, but I really needed to get the off my chest and see if anyone else is feeling how I feel? Many thanks. X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rae

You'll be really glad you had the portacath fitted. No more sore veins. Bloods taken through it too so no more hassle! You might feel a bit sore after it's fitted as you body adjusts but eventually you won't notice it's there. I love the fact they just plug me in when I go for treatment. Just a pin prick as they put the needle in. Fantastic!

Wolsty....I've had my worst nausea on no.3 guess it's the cumulative effect & I feel quite toxic but I have to fight it & go shopping today. At least it's all behind us now! Roll on Tax with less nausea.

Must roll out of bed...lazy me!

Twinky x

Wolsty

Beryl

Thanks for your kind words - just to say your constant positive attitude always gives me a boost to buck myself up when I am feeling low.

Best friend is coming over to go for a walk with me, lovely husband is cooking dinner tonight - today is going to be a better day.

Jane xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone

Lovely sunny day here on the east coast but a chill in the air. Helena has now left for Bristol, a big hug and a few tears but other than that OK. We talked to our other daughter/sister on Skype (Australia) before Helena left, so there were a few more tears but it was lovely for our daughters to have a nice chat to each other.

There were so many messages to catch up on in such a short while, so I won't be able to respond to everyone so sorry about that.

Just coming into my good week before the third rollercoaster arrives and intend to enjoy it as much as I can. Enjoyed our meal out last night but I couldn't do it full justice. Started to flag towards the end but did manage to stay up until 10.00pm and had a good night sleep.

Raechi - Hope portacath appointment goes OK for you and everying OK for chemo Wed. I've got a rash on my hand down the vein line which they have given me cream for. It is slowly getting better and I hope it doesn't cause any issue for next session on 24th. There's always something to think or worry about, such a sod. Glad you had a good night out with your friends and something else to look forward to today, enjoy.

Wolsty - Sorry you are having a rought time at the moment and got nausea back again and the inevitable fog/tiredness. We all know it's going to happen but it doesn't make it any easier. Enjoy your trip to Sheffield to visit family, it's nice to have a break away to look forward to.

Husband is calling me to go out to the shops and some lunch out. Will catch up with you all again later.

Best wishes to all.
Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Rae me too! I start on Tuesday for chemo..i went for a blood test at the ongology and for the first time in my life they had trouble finding a vein in my arm! I wonder if she was new? I have been having bloods taken for years...without any problems..hardly fills me with confidence...for Tuesday...
Why are you having a port put in before you start Rae?

Off the subject i bought loads of that 'famous' honey in all forms and there are 2 that are very expensive and the lady told me ..they really do stop you being sick! If i am allowed to ..i will put what they are ..on here later!

Now can some tell me what happens on Tuesday when i arrive at the chemo ward...i havent seen it yet...what happens?

I hope all you ladies are feeling well today xxx
Take care..
Dulcie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies,
Have lovely sunshine here so far today
Patchit -I had the same issues with patchy hair of varying colours, it started to get a bit tender again so this time I got OH to shave it off with razor rather than clippers, I now have a very smooth stubble free scalp, it has a slight sheen to it so OH said he would but me a can of polish to keep it shiny!!!!!!!!!!!
Woltsy- sorry to hear you have struggled with FEC 3 hope, you start to feel better soon.
Twinky- good luck with clothes shopping, I know what you mean, I went shopping a couple of weeks back with a friend, first time since mastectomy, as I need clothes, as alot of mine were too big,I just felt I was more conscious of the way everything fitted and looked because it didn't look like me in the mirror.But did find some nice bits in M&S.
Raechi- so glad you enjoyed curry and alcohol too, much deserved by you
Kittyqueen- so glad you are able to enjoy a vino.
Peanut - good luck with the wigs
Beryl- hope your daughter has a good trip home, I am sure you have both had a good few days together.
Well going to pop up to the crem and take some flowers to my mum today, just woke up this a.m and felt that was what I needed to do today, and hubby then suggested lunch out.
Love to all
Jane

raechi

Also re portacath, I am having mine in on Tuesday and chemo weds. I can see someone has one but can't work out who. Did it hurt?
My veins have given up already. They can't even get blood out of me now and as I am having herceptin they recommended it.

Any advice on the portacath would be welcome. I am really nervous.

Rae
X

raechi

Morning all,
Feeling s bit delicate this morning. I managed curry and booze. We had some of the fizzy stuff so my head is a little fuzzy. But what the heck. 🙂 may as well have fun whilst I can!

Re wedding outfit. I have a wedding in August. I usually go to monsoon for dresses. I have never been a skinny girl, about a 14 sometimes a 16 due to boobs and I find their dresses are great. You are talking to the girl that outside of work lives in jeans mind you.

Sunny here too, or for a BBQ housewarming at my friends later. No more alcohol tho!

MIT have a flutter one the grand national too. Although I think my stategy for picking horses may be a bit flawed as I go for the colours the jockey wears.

Have a fantastic weekend all. Hope those of you who had juicings are coping with SE's ok. The chemo fog will lift soon I hope

Love,

Rae
X

Wolsty

Hi everyone

FEC No. 3 has definitely taken its toll on me this week - have been quite nauseous, exhausted and generally good for nothing!! Am sure I will emerge next week feeling much better from the fog!!

Shelley - so sorry about your portacath problems and rash - really not what you need. I am managing OK at the moment with veins. The chemo nurse got my cannula in first time on Monday and I had physio on Thursday so will keep going for the time being. Am really not sure if it wouldn't just be better to put portacath in as have to have herceptin too but will discuss further with surgeon and onc when I see them next. Hope you manage to get to Oslo - its always good to have things to look forward to. I have booked a train ticket to Sheffield (not as exotic) for my 3rd week to go and visit my sister and some friends and just to get away and feel normal.

Amylou - hope you are feeling better and flu-like symptons are easing.

Raechi - brilliant news re your scan - hope you celebrated well - did you manage alcohol?

Socks - sorry you too have vein problems - the physio I saw said that only 25% of people have problems - that seems rubbish to me as we all seem to encounter some pain. Sorry you were sad when family left - know how you feel - its lovely having people who care about you around.

This site is wonderful though in that we are all experiencing the same feelings and emotions and the support that comes very everyone is so appreciated.

Hope everyone else is OK - my brain is really mush now and I have only been out of bed for an hour! Am going to go for a walk to try and get some fresh air into my head!!

Have a good day everyone.

Jane xx

Patchit

Twinky, know what you mean about the outfit for the wedding. We have one in May, but luckily we are evening guests so its not quite the same as all day. Maybe you will feel more like looking round once its a bit warmer. Hope you manage to delay the chemo so you can go to the wedding. There should be lots of choice of clothes in the shops over the next couple of months. Maybe you could have a browse on the internet? Maybe Debenhams, they are usually good for nice outfits!
Joan x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Beautiful sunny day here in Blackpool, slept really well. Car loaded up with stuff for the tip and then off to look at wigs, not looking forward to that but has to be done. no hair loss at the moment but have a funny feeling I could be like that women at wimbledon where I am going to be somewhere important and the whole lot is going to fall out!!
hope everyone has a good day today.Thinking of you all.
Mary xxx

Bettie

Pargayan, yes my dog is an old girl but unfortunately it dosn't stop her picking scraps on about every other dog she comes into contact with.
When we first had her from the rescue place she nipped the postman. Fortunately for us he is a dog lover and now he is her best friend. Thats probably more due to the fact that he brings her dog chews everytime he brings our post!

Your dog sounds lovely. They are great companions. We don't have kids and I suppose they are our surrogate children(along with millions of nieces and nephews!)Slight exageration 7 actually.

Have a good day and to everyone else.

Bettie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Woo hoo Joan...get you doing the commando thing! I just don't get on with wigs so opt for hats. CM did a marvellous demonstration of scarf tying last time I saw her outside the pub but I don't actually have one to try with yet. Just been wearing hats. I have a wedding coming up in June ( just as my final chemo falls due...hoping to delay that by a couple of days to feel well enough to attend) but am fretting about what to wear so I look feminine & not too out of place in wedding photos. Trouble is even clothes shopping is horrible at the moment as I feel so unfit & blobby & my face is round with the steroids that I don't even look forward to dragging myself around the shops to get some inspiration. Might leave it a little closer to the time as I'm hoping it will be a bit warmer too. Feel like I want to look pretty for the day.

Twinky x

Kittyqueen

Morning All :)))))))))))

Lovely sunny day always makes you feel brighter..forgot to mention I had a curry last night, been craving spices for days and am no worse for wear apart from slight headache but that was prob the wine...no more now till after second juicing lololol...
Patchit-- I love you foody tips xxx
CM- Glad you're back xxx
Socks....Hugs and hope you're feeling bit better today...I had the spots but they never got a head on them.

Hugs to all off for the chop at 10.00am...no hair fell off in the night so might just go for a no 2....will post piccy later :)))

Love KQ

Patchit

Morning ladies. I had a better night sleep, 11 – 5.30, although I think I will go back to bed soon as I feel really cold this morning. I have just had my steroids, banana, aloe juice and manuka honey so I am well topped up for a while!!

Socks, hope you are feeling a bit better now? Its horrid when you get that really low feeling, you just have to be kind to yourself and hope the next day that you have your brighter head on again. I am usually really positive but I when I felt low that seemed to disappear! Its back again now though, thank goodness! Big hug to you xxx

Bettie, I am 51 too and I have been out commando! Have been to the hospital, tesco and through the local town for a reflexology appointment. It was very liberating and I felt fine with it. Mind you, it was a few of weeks ago when we had that lovely weather! Wouldn’t do it now as its too cold! I have an odd patch on the back of my head which is dark brown hair and seems to be growing! The rest is quite grey (I hadn’t realised HOW grey as I normally dye it so that’s been a bit of a shock!). I had a no1 some time back and will get it re-done this week. Its just all very patchy and not completely come out like I thought it would do although the majority is like fluff.

KQ hope the wig fitting goes well today and your computer keeps behaving itself!

CM, nice to see you back and posting from your computer! Glad you had a lovely time away with the baa-lambs! Hope you got a good night sleep and are feeling a bit brighter today!!

Pargayan, lots of people recover from TIA’s and have no further problems. I think lifestyle can have an effect so it would be good for hubby if he can give up smoking, hope you can both cope with the side effects of that though! There are lots of groups run to help people stop, I think tesco and lloyds chemist run them and of course your GP surgery. It might help him to have some support as it isn’t easy! Your poor cat! What a thing to happen, glad you have your doggie to keep you company now. Its lovely to cuddle up with a furry pet (and no, I don’t mean my hubby!). Our old cat doesn’t go out now unless its with us into the garden. She was being bullied by a local mafia cat so we had to block the cat flap up so it cant get in the house to her and she cant get out unless we are about to keep an eye on her. I am just going to re-post some tips for raising your blood counts, I am not sure if any of them work and its only stuff I have got from browsing the internet:

White blood cells: avoid sugar, drink water,, exercise. Eat brightly coloured fruit and veg: carrots, peppers, etc. Especially dark green leafy veg; curlykale, spinach, broccoli. Yoghourt (not live!), garlic, chicken, red grapes, oranges. Vitamin C, Zinc, Welches Grape Juice (remember the tv ad's where they tried to get as many people in the glass as they could).

Red blood cells: Red meat, offal, steak, beans and lentils, spinach and kale, raisins, prunes, peas, nuts and seeds. Drink guinness, stout.

There are some other tips on the latest posts section: low neuts – getting them up before Monday probably worth having a look at.

I hope the ladies who have had treatment this week are doing well. I have been thinking chascat (Lydia), hope your hubby got on ok with his tests at the beginning of the week. Caren, I hope you are doing better this time than last time and anyone else suffering with SE’s, sending you big gentle hugs and wishes that you improve soon.

Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

What a lovely post Bettie. I went into a costa after having my head shaved as a sort of experiment to see if I could deal with it and to be honest it strengthened me. People generally glance but the get on with their own lives. We are what we are and IT'S NOT CATCHING! Lol

pargayan

Evening all
Joan, Jane (Marie67), Angie thanks for the best wishes re hubby, he enjoyed the hugs!
Mary (Peanut) – glad you got your parking permit – it is so expensive now to park at hospitals.

Raechi – hope you had a good lunch to celebrate your good news.

Ceej – I wish I had your energy re going to a gym, mind you I was never very good at it when I wasn’t struggling with chemo weariness so no hope for me really.

Angie – TIA stands for Transient Ischemic Attack, which means there has been a temporary blockage in a blood vessel in the brain which results in temporary problems. In hubby’s case blurring of vision in his one good eye. Luckily the vision restored itself after 24hrs but he has been told to stop smoking which he has done so tempers are running high!!!

Franoli – sorry to hear about your problems with the surgery for the portacath, better to be safe though. Hope you manage to get to Oslo.

Bettie – your staffie cross looks like she is on old girl with her grey beard and she looks very comfortable. I think they make lovely companions, our old boy (lost him Feb 2011) was a staffie lab cross and he loved everybody and ignored most dogs. Our current one is still young and wants to play but tries to dominate other young females so she has to stay on an extending lead. She gives me a reason to get plenty of exercise and also enjoys the cuddles which as you say is therapeutic. We used to have a cat with a massive character, but she disappeared one night and never came home, hubby swears he heard her scream so I think she met a nasty end in one of the gardens behind us. Would love another cat but there are so many dogs around us I could not stand the pain of losing another one.

Went up the hosp for my blood test ready for Monday (FEC3), they had to use the back of my hand again as my veins in my elbow have gone into hiding (can’t say I blame them, nobody has been able to find them for a few weeks now!! My red blood cells were low last time and I did not feel as weary as I have this time round and I got mega breathless walking up a hill this afternoon so do wonder if they will recover in time. Can’t stand guinness so not sure what I can do, so ‘what will be will be’.

Apologies if I have missed anyone having mega problems but I have been paging back and forth and feel quite confused. Bit worrying that some ‘chemo brain’ symptoms can take a year to disappear, by that time I will be on Letrozole and AIs also affect the brain (apparently the female brain needs oestrogen to function properly) so there is no hope! lol.

Must go to bed now, sweet dreams to all and hope those who couldn’t sleep last night have a better one tonight xx

ChoccieMuffin

Evening all! Sorry for the cryptic messages yesterday. Posting from a phone when you can't see what you're writing is "interesting" to say the least. Even more so when holding a thought for more than half a second is prevented by excessive indulgence...

Anyway, I had a lovely day away, and all the questions people have asked have already been answered. About Buffs, you could try a motorbike accessories site and look for neck thingies by a company called Oxford. They're a lot cheaper than Buff. But I still wear the Buffs that I had. You can wear them like a kind of pirate bandana style, or turn them into a beanie hat. I have a polar buff, which as well as having the soft cotton jersey also has a bit of fleece, and that's my standard hat. The most difficult thing about buying Buffs is choosing the pattern, there are literally hundreds to choose from.

Well done everyone. The support on this thread is fab.

Night all, lots of snoozing needed.

CM
x

Kittyqueen

Hiya...............

Sorry not been about.........pc and pc engineer failure grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Hugs to all............I am at plucking out hair stage.....and a really lovely lady said to me in the pub...'scuse me couldn't help overhearing... but I;ve had bc twice..and am on the other side for 15 months ' she looked fab, made me feel very humble. especially whne her hubby said she's very private and never talks to anyone about it... xxx Thankies to Anne xxxxx
Patchit--- love your kittie xxxxx

I can't keep up again today.. off for wig fitting tomorrow and will get them to shave hair off.....not into plucking it out by hand lolol
Have a nice weekend all xxxx

Bettie

Should have been make up!! Chemo brain again!!

Bettie x

Bettie

Hi all, I love this site and am so moved by peoples support and encouragement. It is really comforting to know that we are all on this journey together. I sound really sentimental but its true.

Went to have bloods tested today for breathlessness and chesty cough but was advised it was just a side effect of the chemo. They were lovely at Russells Hall and they can't do enough for you. Saw a few women without hair and really hope I have the confidence to be the same when mine goes. I have nothing but admiration for them but why shouldn't we be the same. My neighbour said (you know how people can say the wrong things)its ok if your young which is ridiculous as men walk about bald regardless of age and why should we hide away. I told her the first thing I'm going to do when my hair goes is to take the dog for a walk, yes without hair even though I'm 51 horror!!

So thats my rant for this evening. My friend came round later and we experimented with make(post hair) she was really encouraging and gave me some great ideas.

My brain has gone to mush now but best wishes to all of you. Really sorry I can't remember all the different messages. Not sure if its the menopause or chemo brain!!

Night Night, sleep well

Bettie xx

wintersocks

Me: Chemo 2 went ahead, vein problems (ouch!!)

Told to leave off Metoclopromide, as she thinks that is what's making me 'jittery'. But take if sickness,

Have headache and nausea now (no nausea 1st chemo)

Patchit, I think is you who had spots/boil things? Well, I was told to go in if they appear this time if they get yellow heads on (mine did) cos of infection risk.

Sore throat (if happens again, ditto), It's a bore for me as Halifax is closed weekends and nights so Will have to go H'field.

Sis/Mum/Bother gone- I burst into tears, feel a bit low, keep thinking all this and might not work anyway....but 2 chemos done now. Thought if get to down can talk to 'my ladies' cos you all are!

Aplogies as not acknowledged all as to many of us! but am thinking of you, especially those who have been poorly.

Socks xx

wintersocks

Hello all, and to:

Patchit: I do know what you mean about people 2nd guessing feelings and analysing, jusy listening is the best, but that is such a skill. Thanks for advice re WBC, it was really helpful to have that info. SONS - Ceej as well, I am really glad my 18yr old is with his Dad, he won't answer my texts though, it does make me sad, but at the moment don't feel I can do much. I do hope your sons manages to get his own place will be good for him as well as you.

Marie67: Exactly the same thing happenend with my bloods it's such a relief eh? when it goes ahead

Mollie43: Debbie, I hope you have a wonderful weekend with hubby, You really do need a break. Please, enjoy it if you can. I don't feel I can do the wing thing either, or scarves. I want (says petulantly) my own hair back.

Amylou29: I do hope your flu-like symptoms are going, how awful for you to have that too,Here is hoping your injection does improve things for you. You too deserve a break.

Dulcie, It would be great for us ALL to meet, yeah in a banqueting hall maybe, or some rich landowners property? for free? Hey those african ladies are really sommmot with the scarces, lve that look, I think it is Camillia Batt(somethingorother) she runs a kids charity. she always looks great.

Rae, boob and lymph (we can cope with??!!) so pleased that scan is clear.

Twinky: Yuck Guiness, Will stick to Marmite!!

Jayjay40: have large tumour too, but is def shrinking.

Gabbylamb: Vein thing what a pain eh? mine hurt loads today 3 tries and dunk in hot water before that, big bruise now! OH well.

Patchit

Just to confuse everyone, this is my baby Patch!

Guest user
Not applicable

Raechi- Well that is such good news, and a great relief to you. Think it may be a bit wet and chilly here in Norfolk this weekend, are you looking for a cottage by the sea or inland?
Gabbylamb- my arm was more sore this time after 2nd FEC lasted for about 3 days then settled, wasn't sure if this was because chemo went in in 1 hour, which was quicker than last time, also had a large bruise under thumb where cannula went in!!
Amylou- hope your flu like sympyoms have settled and you are starting to feel better. Mustard gas and yew tree bark unusual ingredients!!!
Patchit- hopefully all will go well with you son viewing the flat on Tues, a bit chilly to streak naked though I think.
Peanut - at least you have the meds sorted for your next visit.
GeorgieB - I looked in my book and breathlessness can definitely be a SE of FEC.
Had a visit forom my god daughter who is 21 she looked through selection of my hats and scarves and thought they were "COOL" so I take that as a compliment!!!
Love Jane

raechi

Thank you so much ladies for the good wishes. I tell you the support on here is truly awesome. Even in my darkest moods i can come on here and someone always lends and ear and says the right thing.

I want to thank you ALL so much...i dont think i could do this without you.

I'm back to Norfolk / Suffolk this weekend - we are looking for a holiday cottage to buy. Somewhere nice for me to escape to 🙂

Big hugs to all, and if i am not back on have a fab weekend.

Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Well saw Oncologist today for review and explained about awful nausea and he has perscribed Emend for next session so am really pleased, also picked up my free parking pass.
Dulcie- I got a voucher for £90 for wig and can add to it as that will only cover cost of acrylic one and would prefer human hair one. apart form that and parking permit no other financial help.Hope you manage to speak to someone about your ailments and effect from chemo. I have an underactive Thyroid and take medication,no SEs from that at least from 1st session.
Rae- delighted to hear your good news about scan and when I meet up with my young colleague will tell her about your kind offer.
Beryl- Pleased to see you had a good day.
mollie- sorry to hear your chemo delayed, that is my fearalso but at least you know they are been careful.
Bettie- i had a couple of days where i felt breathless but appears to have gone onw, hope you feel better.
Patchit- Great to hear your son will be getting his own place, fingers crossed for him and you!
Got to have bloods done Tues for 2nd on Weds so hopefully ok as feeling really well.
sorry dont respond to everyone as so many of us now but thinking of everyone.
Best wishes
Mary xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

mines a daughter! I dont think they are any easier Georgie

GeorgieB

Perhaps we should do a sons post! Ours is difficult as well. Still seems to think the world revolves round him. Even now is always on the cadge for money. I rang the hospital re the breathlessness who told me to go to the dr who checked me out and said it may be panic but since it happened day 3 and 4 last time it's probably a side effect. Oh well hope it gets better over the weekend. My poor husband panicked and came home from work - but it's reassuring to have him here.
Hope we all have a good nights sleep - mine was rubbish last night! Love Georgie xxxx

Patchit

Thank you Gabby! Glad your son is better for you now. I know they do grow up eventually! Well, hope anywaY!!

Guest user
Not applicable

lol Patchit. I can understand how you feel re: son, thankfully mine seems to have gone through her worst faze! But dont run round naked, its sooooooooo cold! wait til the better weather and wear a Lady Godiva wig!

Thank you all for your info re sore arm

Patchit

Gabby, have you tried ibuprofen gel on your arm? Also a warm compress might help (hottlie bottlie wrapped round you r arm, but make sure its not too hot!).

Angelhearts, good to hear from you again. Pj's sound great! I also was taken off the injections due to my reaction, but they reduced my chemo to FEC75 and wouldnt give me the FEC100 without the injections. Your blood count must have recovered by itself for them to give you your second dose. That's great! I will be the same as you over the SE's for the TAX. I will need to speak to my onc about it before my TAX next time. I think they might have reduced the amount for the TAX as well as the FEc though as I have to have 4 TAX to compensate for the reduced dose I am now on. (Just how many TAX and FEC can you get into one sentence?!) Whats the adjuvant site?

I have had some great news re my son today, well potentially great and I am tryiong REALLY HARD not to get my hopes up too much. He has a viewing of a flat on Tuesday! Gooodness! I would hang the flags out and run down the street naked if he got it! Don't I sound awful! Sorry, he has just been such hard work and an awful lot to cope with. We want him to leave home really, but would much prefer it if he did it in a way we could still support him and keep an eye on him.

Enjoy your casserole!

Joan xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Just a quick one as feeling poop again. just found a site to look up exactly what each of our chemotherapies actually does. really interesting. ones made from mustard gas another is from yew tree bark! I'll put web page on shortly found it interesting to see what each one does x x

Ceej

Yes Gabbylamb - sore vein here too after Fec2 on wed! Feeling bruised but otherwise there must be something wrong with me as I feel better this time than with the first dose hmmmm!
Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

so pleased for ur news Rachei!

I didnt post yesterday was totally wiped out with 2nd FEC, and this morning too but now feel i am picking up this afternoon.

I have a very sore arm right up to the elbow joint where the chemo went in and it did hurt more as it was put in, has anyone else had this? Does it last long?

Emend has kept sickness at bay so far, but I have to say this seond lot has been harsher with me than the first was. Hope that after weekend all will be well again.

MY head is cold!!

love to you all, sorry I cant be personal with messages, fuzzy headed