cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

chascat

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Afternoon ladies
Gemcat – welcome, although so sorry that you had to join us. I have a 4 year old daughter and it’s so hard when you want to carry on as normal but can’t.
Angelherts – Well done on managing to turn things around, that’s such a hard thing to do.
Jayjay – lovely news about your daughter, you should feel very proud. Re hair loss, I’m on 6 x FEC75 and been told I might not lose my eyelashes and eyebrows – definitely not lost my leg hair, look like a bloody gibbon!
Rae – Well done you for going commando, wish I was brave enough to do that. Like you I also work from home and as much as it’s brilliant being able to carry on (sitting here in my pj’s) it can be very isolating and lonely, there’s always someone on the end of the phone but it’s not the same.
Amylou – glad to hear your little boy has returned home, enjoy.
Georgie – made me laugh, one boob and hairless!
EBHippo – well done you for tolerating Cleopatra for 5 hours – and for the mammoth ironing!
Patchit – Hope all goes well for your son, if you’ve been there before you’ll no doubt be feeling apprehensive about it all going wrong, thinking of you.
Have felt pretty low over the last few days, completely fatigued and so tearful, I’m fed up of crying. My daughter returned to school today and I had to do the school run wearing my wig feeling completely paranoid about everyone looking. Apart from Tabitha’s teachers and one of the parents, no one knows about the cancer so I feel I have to keep up the appearance of having hair. Chemo brain is wreaking havoc too and I really struggled to get sorted out this morning and out the door on time, poor mite ended up eating toast in the car on the way. I returned home and changed straight into my pj’s and have spent most of the day sitting here with my baldy head, crying and feeling sorry for myself. I had hardly any fatigue and no low mood at all after FEC1 and this has come as a total shock, just hope it passes soon. On a positive note just had my letter through inviting me to make an appointment for psychology services at the hospital so fingers crossed that will help me to deal with all of this.
My house looks like a tip so I have to try and do something with it – my husband is happy to live in a pigsty so no point waiting for him to do it!
Love to all
Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Everyone

Feeling much better today after a good night sleep with aid of tablet. Energy level has also risen and managed to do some house work which has been the first in a while. Poor hubby has been doing everything and it makes me feel quite guilty watching him, but he is insistent about me not doing too much. Anyway, I am now 7 days away from my next session (3rd)so need to make the most of it. Rash is slightly better today and you can see that it is starting to break up. Problem is that it is down the vein line where the chemo went in and I don't know if there's going to be another serviceable vein in my hand for next one. That's a week away so they may still be able to use this one. I hope it doesn't leave me with a scar down my hand because I won't be a happy camper. I'll see what the Onch says on Wed.

Jayjay - Fantastic news about your daughter you must both be so proud of her. Tell her well done! Glad also that you found the energy to get to support her, it must have meant a lot to her having you there to watch her.

Mollie - What a lovely and thoughtful gift to buy you. I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of it but lets hope that it's not in hospital! Good luck for your next one on Thurs.

EBHippo - Good to hear from you again and that your son's wedding went well and you enjoyed yourself. You managed your wig for 5 hours, that's great because at the moment I can only manage about 5 mins before I have to take it off. Think I may have to send for one of the wig caps to see if that will help with the itching and keep my scalp cool. Well done for ironing all those table cloths sounds like a bit of a marathon.

GeorgieB - Can just imagine the scene when the guy comes to the door to fix computer - what a hoot. Friends came to the house the other day to drop something off and I rushed to the bedroom to get a buff and shoulted to hubby "don't open the door yet", they must have heard me!

Carolyn - So glad that I don't have period anymore. The started to be very irregular when I was about 42. Doctor said I was too young to be menopausal. Blood test proved that I was and I took lowest dose HRT for about 10 years. Now wish that I hadn't given the fact that my BC is hormone based. Still get flushes but mainly when I wake up during the night or first thing in the morning. Nothing horrible but this may change when the anti cancer tablets start messing around with the hormones I've got left. What joy.

Kittyqueen - Will be thinking of you tomorrow for your next session and at least this time you know that you will be out a lot quicker because of no cold cap. I'm sure they appreciated you letting them know. I always take a sleep tablet the night before treatment so I can get some sleep, otherwise I would up and down and very restless. Hope you enjoy your lunch and going to Zumba tonight. I like Zumba but haven't been since diagnosis or even got my DVD's out. I suppose I should do but have not felt like doing any exercise apart from walking.

Patchit - Fingers crossed for good news regarding son's job int' and flat hunt. I'm sure if he can get sorted it will a load off of your mind. Hope you are feeling OK today.

Marie - Nice and sunny here in Hunstanton but it looks like we are due for some heavy rain tomorrow. We desperately need the rain so here's hoping it rains for long enough. It's nice when you have good friends around you and you can show some appreciation when you are feeling up to it. I have a friend coming round this afternoon to see me for tea and a chat but will probably go out with her for afternoon tea later in the week.

Going to get some lunch ready now, hubby will be back from golf soon.

Bye for now and thinking of everyone that I've not mentioned and hope all is well.

Beryl XX

mollie43

Morning ladies,

Well I had a lovely weekend with my hubby and family.I have got loads to catch up about 8 pages I think.
My hubby suprised me with an I pad on saturday he is such a sweetie, hie says I need it for when I have my chemo and if I end up in hospital again(hopefully not) it is fantastic so easy to type much easier than the phone.Got my chemo thursday after a weeks delay not looking forward to it but life goes on.
I am going in to work today to see all the girls, I miss them but not my job at all ,wish I didn't have to go back when thi I all over.well will catch up with the posts later and repost later, have. Good day everyone debbie x

EBHippo

Hi Ladies

Ages since I posted but all going OK. Found no 2 easier to cope with as I knew what to expect and didnt feeel too sickly at all but found my energy levels took ages to climb back.

Well just had my sons wedding which was fantastic - Cleopatra made her debut and had many lovely comments though after abour 5 hours she made a hasty exit and I just wore my buff which everybody said was just as good. Everybody was so kind and for a day I felt like the old me, taste buds are back to normal and I was boogying all night [which in itself is quite an achievement as the night before I had spent 5 hours ironing blooming table cloths !!!].

Cant believe how quickly these cycles are flying by.. blood test tomorrow then no 3 on Thursday - yipee - I will be half way there!!!

Good luck to anybody having cocktails this week, we can do it, we will get there..

Love to all - Liz xxxx

GeorgieB

I have been busy sitting here reading all your posts and suddenly remembered a computer guy is coming to look at our computer. I am in my pj's and just can't be bothered to rush and get dressed. I have never met the guy - he will get a shock - one boobed hairless woman!!!
Georgie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies

A beautiful sunny day here at the moment in Hertfordshire, let's hope it lasts.

Feeling relatively ok now apart from killer period still, it makes me realise how lucky I've been over the years, bl**dy curse I'll be glad to end them, I felt like I've needed Pampers for the last few days never mind worrying about se of chemo,, bring on Tamoxifen to stop them that worked before! Can't go out today anyway they're resurfacing our road and I'm hemmed in by about 3 articulated lorries, although I think I just fancy being lazy and doing some knitting anyway.

Well done to your daughter Jayjay a real proud moment and a credit to your hard work getting her there, as knowing kids it's was mum and dads taxi that shuttled her everywhere.

I'm with you on predictive text etc Rae, but I just love the iPad it's too easy just tom pick up and browse with.

Ah yes Poppy I miss work with a vengeance, I'm counting until I can get back hopefully the start of July for a few weeks then off over summer for school holidays, but bring on September back to normalish life and all this over and back to work properly.

Hope everyone else feeling ok, and love to anyone having treats today or tomorrow KC.

Keep safe and look after yourselves.

Love Carolyn xxx

Kittyqueen

Morning All xxx

JayJay...Great news about your daughter, well done to her xxxx

Marie67...Lovely day here to but quite frosty first thing.

Amy-Lou...Glad you said that about the flushes mine have been like yours in the middle of the night and I wake up drenched. No sign of a period yet either.

Hair is departing good style now..had to sweep up in the shower room.

BerylS... Hope you slept better and I too rang the chemo unit today and said not to bother with the coldcap for me either as I agree with you the time could be used for someone else and I did feel a bit guilty last time for all the time I took up with it.

My day for drinking lots of water as chemo tomorrow at 10.00 least it's earlier this time..2nd treat...trouble is you don't get a good night's sleep as your're up and down to the loo all night...still suppose it's good exercise.

Got my cousin coming for lunch so suppose better go and do a few hours at work...going to go to Zumba tonight..hopefully.

Take Care All

Love KQ

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies,
Appears qiute bright here in Norfolk ayt the moment.
Jayjay- what lovely news of your daughters medal, and a Welsh champion to.
Gemcat- glad you managed to have a lovely day out yesterday, and have a holiday to look forward to in August, where are you off to?
Poppy - hope you are feeling better this morning.
Beryl- hope you managed a better night sleep, and are feeling better this morning.
Patchit- hopefully everything will go ok for your son this week, with his interview and flat.
Hugs to all having chemo today.
Am taking my friend out for coffee and cake later as it's her birthday, she's been fab, took me to my chemo's and just been generally great.
Have a lovely day.
Jane

jayjay40

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Have to start with the fab news that my daughter got a gold medal and is now under 14's team Welsh champion!!! Bless her she has made us all so proud. I found the day so tiring but it was worth the effort. Still feeling as thou' I have flu but no temp so will continue on! Really send lots of love to all of you who are having a bad day & will also be thinking of you if you are receiving you poison tomorrow!

Rae Well done on the going commando....good for you girl!! I agree it is very liberating & being able to be so relaxed just gives you one thing less to worry about. I also wonder if I will ever bother with long hair again, the ease of getting ready now is extremely enticing, lol! xx

PoppyD If you are having rigours you really should let your hospital know as they can make you very poorly but can often indicate an infection. I miss my work heaps. I was hoping to continue for a few days but sadly I have been way to ill. I think it is the camaraderie I miss most. Cancer can be quite lonely can't it? xx

GeorgieB Wow 29th wedding anniversary, that is fantastic, congratulations. Unfortunately Docetaxel will cause hair loss & I hate to say it but it is prob more toxic for hair loss than fec! Recently I went into the shower with eyebrows and pubic hair but came out without either, lol! I did get a shock! I also think my eyelashes may go as they are really thinning. xx

amylou I have not had a period now since my treatment started and also have hot/cold flushes. As well as the possibility it may be early menopause it could also be your treatment. Chemo causes all the above & then once treatment finishes it all returns to normal, Guess only time will tell. As if we don't already have enough to cope with. xx

Kitcat, I have had my picc in now for just over a month & I can honestly say it was the best decision I have made. Good luck with yours. Cyclizine is a much better drug for sickness than metoclopramide. You can also request more ondansetron from your onc too. They prefer to dish out met cause it is cheaper but will happily give cyclizine & ondansetron both of which work on the sickness receptors in the brain whereas metoclopramide just empties the stomach. Emend is great but will work even better if backed up by better antisickness. Hope you do not get too sick, hang in there, xx

Patchit Typing posts in word first is such a good idea thank you. Hope everything goes well for your son on Tues, fingers crossed! So horrid that you have this huge extra worry at an already difficult time xx

Beryl Sorry you have not slept well, there is nothing worse. Really pleased to hear your rash is improving..... onward & upwards! xx

Peanut Thank you for the IT advice. I have to say computers & I clash at the best of times, lol!

Jane Hope you get to have your forest walk, it sounds lovely. xx

Well that is it for me tonight. Sorry if I have missed you had but it is almost impossible to wish everybody individually.

Goodnight all xxx

jayjay40

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Have to start with the fab news that my daughter got a gold medal and is now under 14's team Welsh champion!!! Bless her she has made us all so proud. I found the day so tiring but it was worth the effort. Still feeling as thou' I have flu but no temp so will continue on! Really send lots of love to all of you who are having a bad day & will also be thinking of you if you are receiving you poison tomorrow!

Rae Well done on the going commando....good for you girl!! I agree it is very liberating & being able to be so relaxed just gives you one thing less to worry about. I also wonder if I will ever bother with long hair again, the ease of getting ready now is extremely enticing, lol! xx

PoppyD If you are having rigours you really should let your hospital know as they can make you very poorly but can often indicate an infection. I miss my work heaps. I was hoping to continue for a few days but sadly I have been way to ill. I think it is the camaraderie I miss most. Cancer can be quite lonely can't it? xx

GeorgieB Wow 29th wedding anniversary, that is fantastic, congratulations. Unfortunately Docetaxel will cause hair loss & I hate to say it but it is prob more toxic for hair loss than fec! Recently I went into the shower with eyebrows and pubic hair but came out without either, lol! I did get a shock! I also think my eyelashes may go as they are really thinning. xx

amylou I have not had a period now since my treatment started and also have hot/cold flushes. As well as the possibility it may be early menopause it could also be your treatment. Chemo causes all the above & then once treatment finishes it all returns to normal, Guess only time will tell. As if we don't already have enough to cope with. xx

Kitcat, I have had my picc in now for just over a month & I can honestly say it was the best decision I have made. Good luck with yours. Cyclizine is a much better drug for sickness than metoclopramide. You can also request more ondansetron from your onc too. They prefer to dish out met cause it is cheaper but will happily give cyclizine & ondansetron both of which work on the sickness receptors in the brain whereas metoclopramide just empties the stomach. Emend is great but will work even better if backed up by better antisickness. Hope you do not get too sick, hang in there, xx

Patchit Typing posts in word first is such a good idea thank you. Hope everything goes well for your son on Tues, fingers crossed! So horrid that you have this huge extra worry at an already difficult time xx

Beryl Sorry you have not slept well, there is nothing worse. Really pleased to hear your rash is improving..... onward & upwards! xx

Peanut Thank you for the IT advice. I have to say computers & I clash at the best of times, lol!

Jane Hope you get to have your forest walk, it sounds lovely. xx

Well that is it for me tonight. Sorry if I have missed you had but it is almost impossible to wish everybody individually.

Goodnight all xxx

Patchit

Evening ladies

Amylou, I love your picture of your cat! Have a lovely day tomorrow with Samuel’s return and hope your daughter settles too when he is back with you!

Sorry to those ladies suffering with bad period at the moment. Mine seem to have disappeared at the moment, long may that last, but i wish the PMT had gone as well!

Georgie, have a lovely day of celebration tomorrow! I know what you mean about the years flying by, yet these weeks seem to drag! Its our 28th anniversary next month and I don’t know where the time has gone!

Rae, hope you had a nice weekend away. Predictive text! I am always getting told off for that! Revolving children was my best one to date, instead of revolting children!!

Gemcat, so glad to hear you are feeling so much better.

Well, I am off to bed soon, I just wanted to post and wish you all a peaceful, SE-free night sleep.

Big hug to all our lovely March ladies,
Sleep tight and sweet dreams
Joan xx

Gemcat1701

Hi everyone

Sorry it's late, I haven't managed to get on here all day. I'm feeling so much better than yesterday! What a difference a day makes eh? It's mainly cos I took a sleeping pill last night. My chills have eased off, mouth is back to normal. Only slight issue is my hair loss is speeding up, but I think I'm ready for the inevitable.
I was determined to have a nice family day, the last of easter hols so we (me, the DH, our son & daughter) went and had lovely pub lunch and then watched the kids enjoy the garden play area. Very chilly, but I good dose of fresh air. I also did 30 minutes of Pilates (pretty gentle tho) which really perks me up. We've a holiday booked for August and I am determined to minimise my wobbly bits by then!

There are so many people to reply to, I don't think I can manage it tonight.

Amylou, thank you for your reply, you have had a much worse time than me with FEC, I realise now how lucky I am to have had no sickness. Make sure you do speak to someone soon about your flu symptoms. I hope they are not too bad? And u don't have a fever. Forget about worrying how you look ( I worry about whether I'm putting my husband out, having him take me to hospital in middle of the night!) Thank goodness they sorted you out with the right anti sickness drugs. I feel the same about my periods - part of me is hoping I do go through the change, great if the chemo speeds it all up! I'll probably come on tomorrow now I've said that. Best wishes for a happy reunion with your Samuel tomorrow (I have one too! Solid name). X

I'm getting sleepy now, also got Titanic the programme on here - so tragic and terrifying, not sure I watch the end!

Sleep well everyone. Tomorrow is a new day, it's going to be a good one.
Hugs all round
Cath x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies
Nice to hear from you Amylou, I am sure you are so loooking forward to your little boy returning.
Carolyn and Raechi - I am waiting to see if I have a period this week as last month's was the period from hell so heavy and painful, I didin't think it was ever coming to an end!!!!!!!!!!
Poppy I was told to contact helpline if temp was 37.5, not that I have needed to, I always seem to feel the cold now never used to.
Beryl- hope you are feeling better, this should be the start of our good week!!
I miss my work, I love the patients and work colleagues and a bit of structure to My day, but will be content with popping in from time to time.
Had lovely walk in Thetford forest, between the rain showers, totally pooped now so of for a bath and bed.
Hugs to all.
Jane

poppyD

Rae

dont talk to me about predictive text i have given friends a good larf with predictive text x

raechi

Note to self. Stop using the iPad. It makes me look like I am a bumbling fool who makes no sense. Bloody predictive text :--)

raechi

Well hello lovely ladies from a chilly Cambridgeshire,

Well I hope everyone is recovering from their SE's. Shingles of the eye sounds awful.

I am also missing work, I have been allowe to work from home but I miss my colleagues and the interaction. It's a bit isoltatig. Especially as most f my friends are at work or have young families.
It has given me a new perspective though as I was a complete workaholic. But I think things may well change in that area.

Carolyn , I also have the period from hell. Bloody thing crept up on me and this morning. Kaboom. I feel like I have been kicked in the stomach nd bck repeatedly.

Well I have been out commando 2 days in a row. It's quite liberating. The odd look but in general people just glance and then carry on its what they are doing. I am not sure I will ever bother with long hair again.

I really hope everyone is doing well, and i know there are dark days but we manage to drag oursleves out of them dont we? I am struggling to keep up with all the names, but the support is awesome. Us march ladies should be proud of ourselves and how we look after each other on here.

Lots of love to everyone. Going to have dinner now. The bf has cooked. We have guinea fowl 🙂

Rae
X

GeorgieB

I can't answer everyone but will say Poppy D I can categorically say I do not miss work! I miss the girls I worked with and apparently they miss me as its much quieter in the office but do not miss the stress! Isn't it horrible not tasting anything - I thought I had poor taste prior to bc but now realise there was nothing wrong with my taste buds! I thought I had got away with the sore mouth as that came on day 3 but no today on day 6 I have a sore mouth!
It's my Mum's, and my sons birthday tomorrow and our 29th wedding anniversary. The time has gone so quickly since we got married. Now time seems to drag till the last FEC treatment - july 3rd for me and yet the time between FEC 1 and 2 goes really quickly.
I have lost my hair from my head but so far nothing else? Do we carry on losing hair with the Docetaxel? My daughter is getting married in October and I really hope to have my own hair by then and not have to wear the wig which I still hate with a passion. Not worn it yet!
Love Georgie xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening ladies

Busy weekend here. Feeling ok from treat no 3, think it's actually heavy period yuck! Detracting from any other side effects. Bloody thing flowing thick and fast along with tummy cramps so no time to think of anything else. Mother in laws birthday yesterday so went for tea, expecting just MIL and FIL and sister in law to be pounced on by whole family of OH brother sister two kids and parters. First time I've seen them all with wig so an ambush was totally unexpected. Oh well went ok with sister in law not even noticing anything different about hair.

Been carpet shopping yesterday and today ready for decorating living room in May so nice new freshness to look forward to.

Hope all other se good, welcome to a few new names, can't possibly remember names for which I apologise.

Good to hear the wig shopping was a success for some of you, but I wish I had the confidence to go without in public, fine indoors but I'm getting pretty quick at throwing it on when the doorbell goes.

Wishing everyone a hood evening, no se and good sleeps to all.

Love Carolyn xxx

poppyD

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your support it means a lot. I get worried that I will never get back to work, but the girls at work have been great and reassure me. they know how much i like my desk by the window and tease me saying noone else will take my desk. they also told me they have new lap top for my return, I called into see them after eye casualty and they asked me for a photo but kindly suggested that I wait until shingles healed. Its such a shame it is a dream job for me and was so excited when I was appointed last Sept Does anyoneelse miss work?

KC I know what you mean about the fec I feel cold allthe time and come close to having temp at 37.8 but havent got to 38.0 yet think i have rigours

socks love the idea of the fire can i pop round for tea and warmup

Also love the idea of sunday lunch at the pub (soz cant remember who it was) I think we would get on coz that sounds fab

love to you all especially those who are unwell or feeling low

love pops x

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening ladies,

Not posted for a little while but tried to keep up with all the posts.

Hi gemcat/Cath. i felt very similar to you regarding fec. after first dose i was taken into hospital as had uncontrollable vomiting so had to be put on a drip and iv meds for a couple of days. After that i had acid really bad that it had burnt my chest and couldn't swallow and mouth was so sore i couldn't chew. started to feel a bit better but my temperature came up, thought id leave it a few hours and it would go back down but it didn't. i didn't want to say anything to anyone because by this time it was day 13 after treatment and i felt like people were looking at me as if i should be over it by now. so i left it over night. then ended up in hospital for 5 days on a drip and iv antibiotics because my blood count had fallen too low. this time round I've had emed and different anti nausea tabs that have worked. tabs for acid and the injections. so far so good although have had flu like symptoms since Tuesday so going to pop to the docs tomorrow to get chest checked just to be safe.

I've not had a period since the first dose and getting hot and cold sweats mainly around 3-4am and they wake me up. One positive thing is that if i am going through the menopause early i wont have it in another 20 years when everyone else is.

Really its a long winded way of saying your not alone and we are all in it together lol.

Wintersocks sorry to hear about needing more tests and i hope they come back ok for you.
Beryl i hope your feeling a little better.
Dulcie I'll be thinking of you this week with your first treatment and sending you a spiritual hug. hope everything goes well for you.
And for all the ladies i haven't named i wish you well with love and hugs.

Don't know when i will next be able to post as Samuel is coming home tomorrow. im so excited he's been staying at his aunts while I've been poorly. started walking just before i had this dose just gone so keeping me on my toes. hope my daughter settles down from tomorrow as I've gadgets her screaming at me the last couple of days saying its my fault she doesn't have a brother anymore. just praying this time goes quickly for her and turns to a vague memory as she gets older.

Hugs to all x x

Patchit

Mary, I dont know what my wig's name is, I just christened her Wendy! We have Spurs match on tv, OH already been to pub and we are having roast chicken soon yum, yum! Aaah! Your OH suonds like a real softie! I would get him to go down on one knee though! Maybe we could have our meet up in Blackpool to celebrate your wedding! Ha ha! I am always up for a stop of socialising!

Joan xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Joan-Forgot to ask if wig has a name!! Will find out when i go for fitting!OH gone to watch Man Utd game at the pub but dont think he will be having too much this time. I dont mind him going as he loves his football and it helps take his mind of things. Actually pleased to have some time to myself.
Jane- only clearing out boxes from deliveries, usually take them on a weekly basis but not done so for a couple of weeks as not been a 100%. They were building up in the back and annoying me so i set to and cleared them this weekend. OH had an early night last night so better mood today!! It was funny really as not usually the worse for wear, he was getting all emotional!! We are not married but have been together about 7 years and when he was overly emotional was going on about getting married!!!Hmm! he will have to do a better proposal then that methinks!!
KQ- Hope your OH ok?? Did he do his mums lawn?
Beryl- hope you ok and feeling better big ((Hug)) xx
hope everyone else ok?
Thinking of everyone even if you havent posted for a while.
Mary xx

Kitcat

Hi Everyone,
Good to hear how the treatment is going.

I had a PICC line on Thursday which was no problem at all, the only slight discomfort was the local anaesthetic but I felt nothing after that. A quick x-ray later and I was having my third double EC.

I'm hoping for better luck this cycle as I felt very unwell from about day 4 to 20 and ended up in hospital for a morning to get more supportive meds. I've been given Emend this time and although I had one bout of feeling very sick on the night of the chemo, it didn't last long. I've also been given cyclizine instead of metoclopramide.

One of these drugs doubles the effect of dexamethasone so I only need half a dose of that which has been helpful in reducing insomnia.

Unfortunately, although I really wanted to work some days, because of the side effects I wasn't able to do so. Hoping for better luck this cycle.
KC

Patchit

Afternoon ladies

It’s a cold but bright day here in Herts. Keeps threatening to rain so I am keeping an eye out as I have washing on the line.

Amazingly, my son who has the flat viewing on Tuesday also now has a job interview tomorrow. Its all positive stuff, but we have been here so many times, I am keeping my feet firmly on the floor this time! Eldest son popped round this morning. He is off to Manchester for a week’s work tomorrow morning.

Socks, you sound so cuddly there with your real fire blazing away and your son to keep you company. I hope the SE’s have stayed away for you. I had a full body bone scan before I had my MX in January, and a CT scan. No idea if they will be repeated though. Sorry to hear of your other health problems. Big hug to you xxx

Dulcie, hope you are feeling ok and got your heat pads sorted out. Tuesday will soon be here and will also soon be gone and that will be your first out of the way. They will take very good care of you at the hospital and I am sure your wonderful sense of humour will give you a boost. Xxx

Bettie, how funny with your wig! I had put Wendy in the spare room for that very reason! My imagination runs away with me in the night and I thought she would give me a heart attack! Sorry also to hear of your health problems Bettie, you have had so much to deal with, I really admire you ladies who just keep plodding on with it all. Big hug xxx

Jayjay, I type my posts in word then copy and paste them. I have had so many go missing and I totally understand your frustration! I hope your daughter gets on well this afternoon and that your energy levels allow you to enjoy it. Hope you have carried on feeling better and the fluey symptoms cleared off!

Chascat, how are you today? Xx

KQ and Peanut, glad you were pleased with the wigs (any names yet?) Hope OH’s are ok today!

Poppy, how awful for you! Is that another SE?! My hubby had shingles a few years back. Its really painful, and on top of everything else! Big hug to you, hope you are over the worst of it now. Xxx

Marie67, hope the sun is still shining for you. Glad the crem visit went well yesterday, those visits can bring you peace somehow if you are visiting loved ones.

Beryl, hope you are feeling a bit brighter this afternoon. Also that your rash is improving. I had a really tired day yesterday and haven’t done much today. I am hoping to go into work for a couple of hours tomorrow though. Sorry the cold cap didn’t work for you, but good for you to give it a go.. At least your hospital visit will be shorter (every cloud eh?!) and you have really got to grips with the scarf tying!

Well, just had to rush out and rescue the washing as we have just has a big hail storm here. Off to pop the chicken in the oven now. Enjoy the rest of the day ladies. There are several ladies who haven’t posted for a while, I hope you are all doing ok and just reading, rather than posting!

Hugs to all
Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon everyone

Hope everyone is coping well today and have been able to get out and about. If not then snuggle up and keep warm because it is chilly and very windy here in Norfolk. Went out for a walk down the sea front and only lasted about 10 mins.

Not feeling 100% today but that is mainly due to a poor night sleep. Didn't take a sleep tablet and my stomach just didn't feel quite right. Tried catching up on a bit of shut eye this morning which has helped a bit. Rash is slowly improving and not itching some much. Interesting to see what Onch says about it on Wed when I see him or his Registrar.

PoppyD - Nice to hear from you and hope you will be feeling much better soon.

Jayjay - Likewise you mouth and your daugther does really well this afternoon. I always have to click submit twice before it goes onto the forum so try that and see if it works.

Peanut (Mary) - I've got an Attic full of stuff that we were going to sort out this year and just can't even face opening to hatch to look. Perhaps later in the year when we have more time and energy. Keep up the good work but reserve some energy for Wed. I think they do a bone density check before radiation starts but again not 100% on that. Something to ask the Onch when I see him next.

Bettie - Nice one and love your message about getting a fright. I can just imagine it as well. When our daughter was staying we brought 'Frankie' my wig/stand into our room. I feel like she's been watching me and wondering when I'm going to give her an outing. Now daughter gone back she's back in the spare room, out of sight out of mind for the time being.

Chascat - I find my eyes get dry and tender around day 12/13, which is now. I put a drop of eye hydrater gel (Clinitas Hydrate) which I got from the Optician when I had a problem last year. It works and only had to do it a couple of times. It's probably out of date now with regards to shelf life once opened but what the heck it's still works. It cost me £4 for a small tube and haven't had anything untoward happen yet. I'm sure there are lots of different products on the market. Hope your symptons clear up soon.

Kittyqueen - I'm not doing cold cap this time so that will take just over an hour off the treatment time. I've already told them so they can use the extra time possibly for someone else if they need to. My hair is down to a no.1 and has grown a little since hairdresser did it for me about 11 days ago. Will be interesting to see what happens to it after next treatment.

Going for another rest now and will catch up on you all again later. Thinking of you even if I've failed to mention you in this message. Everyone take care.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Moring Ladies,
Lovely sunshine here in Norfolk at present, hoping to go for a walk in Thetford forest later. Then Tesco shopping.
Popppy- poor you that really was a hidden surprise you didn't need, hope you are on the mend soon.Hope your son is doing ok.
Jayjay- glad your mouth better, and you have avoided hospital admnission, best of luck to your daughter.
Wintersocks- good luck with the bone scan, as you say it's a little something else thrown into the mix that you could do without, BC is quite enough on it's own. Hope you are still doing ok after Friday's chemo. BIG HUG.
Chascat- BIG HUG to you to, our minds do go into overdrive especially at night, hope yu are feeling a bit brighter this morning.
Bettie - love the wig- can just imagine the scene in the middle of the night, did make me smile.
Peanut- you sound as if you are having quite a clear out with your trips to the tip hope you hubby is over the efffects of the bottle of wine!!!
Kittyqueen- can imagine you ginning at your OH's hangover as that is what I would do with mine.
Beryl- hope the rash is continuing to improve.
Ceej- hope your rash has stayed away over night.
Hope all you other ladies we haven't heard from for a while are doing ok.Ali68, Smilesnic,Kojak,Jackie7698, Jamesyand Twinly68 and anyone else I have forgotten
Have a lovely day
Jane

Kittyqueen

Morning All,

Poppy......Shingles are awful the OH's son had them last year and I;ve never seen blisters so big. Hope you are better soon. Hugs.

MaryP..Oh still in bed with hangover and not very talkative....grins :)))))))))) He's got to mow his mum's lawn too..Nice noisy lawnmower...double grin :)))

Well, even the JD cut is coming out in handfuls now..if there were handfuls left lololol.....still least visit for treat will be quicker without cold cap...I was in from 11.30 to 5.15 last time..
Off to Tesco's in a min, it's such a beautiful day I might go for a stroll this afternoon.

Welcome to Gemcat xxxxx I'm always a bit behind with posts xxxxxx

Hugs to all

Love KQ

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Poppy
how horrible for you, shingles not a good thing to have at the best of times. I was really poorly with nausea first FEC, 2nd one due Weds 18th so am not looking forward but got better anti-emetic this time so hopefully things will be ok!
Big hug to you hope you feeling better soon.
Mary P xx

poppyD

Morning everyone

not been on for while not to good after second fec, just recovering from shingles had it in eye been horrendous

so hugs to everyone hope all doing ok

love pops x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone
Sun shining through the window this morning but think its cold outside. Getting ready to take another load of boxes to tip then off to asda to do shopping.
Lydia- so sorry to hear you unwell. I too had dry and watery eyes, got drops from chemist and after applying them for the 3rd time this morning begining to ease so bear with the drops.dont think you are paranoid, its just you begin to associate every ache and pain with the BC dont you but then the rational part of your brain tells you its not, hard I know.
Bettie- So funny you really made me laugh about your wig stand but looking at the photo I can understand what you mean!! Things always look different in the middle of the night.
Wintersocks- hope the bone scan goes ok, am sure it will. I have been told also that chemo possible risk for osteoporosis and a routine scan will be done when chemo finished but it is only a possibility so will deal with that when/if it comes!
JayJay- sometimes when you click submit it can go on hold if someone else is submitting at the same time so unless your post goes off the page then it hasnt been submitted, sometimes I find you have to click a second time. good luck to your daughter today hope she does well.
KQ- Pleased to hear your wigs are good, i went yesterday for mine and was extremely pleased to see how good the quality was. The lady who was fitting them told me at the end that she was wearing a wig because of alopecia and I honestly would never have guessed it was so good.Know what you mean about OH, we went out for tea Fri and he managed a whole bottle of wine on his own, unusual for him but unfortunately he is up @ 4.30am every day to prep and open cafe so yesterday was a little terse all day as he was not in the best of moods, dont think he will be doing that again too soon!!
hugs to everyone and hope you all have a good day today
Mary P xx

Patchit

Chascat, sorry to read yr post. Everything seems much worse at night and if u r not sleeping, things can seem even worse still. U have a lot 2 cope with so no wonder u have times of feeling down. Big hug honey, i hope things look brighter in the am. Your eyes might need a few doses 2 have effect. I hope u can get some rest tonight.

Joan xxxx

Kittyqueen

Evening All,

Late for me.....

Dulice...I will virtually hold your hand on Tues as tis my second teat xxx

Socks... Hang in there hun will get better xxx

Angelherts... Big Huggles xx

Bettie... love Honey xx

Well, just call me Judy today aas have Judy Dench haircut if not worse.... but my wigs are fab... my MIL just said ooh have you had your haircut Di? :))))))))))))))))0 The guys who did them cropped 'em similar to my own hair... one is quite light for me and the other bit darker but had such a giggle... especially when I asked what colour the chin straps came in.......

We were out to dinner tonight..but came home early as oH was rather worse for wear....and I had to scruff him home lololol...Sometimes I think it gets to them more than us......

Nighty Night xxx

Huggles
KQ xx

jayjay40

Hi Ladies,
I start by releasing my frustration, GRRRrrrrhhhh! Last night or early hrs of this morning I could not sleep so spent ages going thru' recent posts and then working hard to reply to as many people as poss. I tried hard offering words of encouragement or answering some of the medical queries as I am a nurse with previous chemo experience. Then when I look now I cannot see my post.... anywhere.....I am wondering if I forgot to send it after I wrote it but either way I am cross with myself as although enjoyable it was very time consuming & hard going as there are loads of us!!! Forgive me & allow me to start again, although no personals tonight as I have just been exhausted today & feeling a bit flu like tonight. I am day 12 so to be expected. Good news is my mouth ulcers are improving so I think for the first time since my treatment started I have avoided another hospital admission, yeah!!!
Really hope those of you who have had recent chemo are not suffering too much. My 3rd fec is either next wk or week after. I have had so many changes because of my admissions I am not that sure where I am, doh!!

Just wanted to say Hi Gemcat & welcome. I too am very new but have already found this group an amazing wealth of laughs, knowledge & support. I have also spent my first two fec treatments being really ill & in & out of hospital! Really, like all things in life we cannot truly understand what a person is going thru' unless we experience it for ourselves! I can assure you you will find love & support here.
Anyway I must get off to bed as my 12 yr old daughter is fighting in the Welsh closed karate champions tomorrow afternoon & naturally I insist on being there. Somehow I need to find the energy!!! Excited as she has very real chance of a medal, will let you all know. Right promise to do better on the personal comment front next time I write!
Thinking of you all, Big Hugs
Jay xxx

chascat

Evening all

Just a quick post, sorry no personals, not having the best of days. Been to see my sister who lives a couple of hours away which was lovely, but just feel so worn out, came home at 4 and went straight to bed for 4 hours - but no sleep alas. I think i'm suffering from dry eyes and it's causing my eyelids to not open properly when i'm sleeping, or trying to. in turn i'm scared to go to sleep. Paranoia has now set it and it's grown from dry eyes to cancer (surprise surprise) or some unmentionable and incurable neurological condition. Realise this post is totally ridiculous but I can only see the bad in the smallest of things at the minute. I have bought some eye drops from the chemist but so far there doesn't seem much of any improvement.

Anyway, love to all and i'll try and catch up properly tomorrow.

Take care

Love Lydia x

Bettie

Wintersocks, I totally sympathise with all your health probs. Since I was 23 (I am now 51) I have had prob a dozen ops for a very rare benign tumour in my pelvis (and other conditions, gallstones, ovarian cysts....) I was pain free for the last two years until guess when, just after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Although I am a very strong person even at that point I just cried and thought I can't deal with this as well. So am now seeing the consultant(for the benign tumour) the day before my next chemo. Life can be a real bitch sometimes but you are not on your own and I am just sorry you have the problems you've got, as if breast cancer on its own isn't enough.

Sleep well

Bettie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Bettie that did make me laugh out loud...it sure would have frightened me too! I would have thought it was a burglar and hit it over the head....especially in those dark glasses lol...
Arent you supposed to wear it ..not look at it.....lol
Glad you had a lovely evening...and mind those calories!
Dulcie xxx

Bettie

Evening hope you are all ok. I'm very excited about my new wig and have posted a pic of 'Honey' on my profile picture.She looks like she's getting ready for a night out with the girls.Very glam! Mind you I've had to move her out of my bedroom as I woke up in the middle of the night and frightened myself when I saw her looking at me. I thought I was halucinating from the chemo ha ha.

Just had a lovely meal at my moms. She made a real fuss of me. Dropped hubby at the pub on the way back and now am going to raid my stash of chocolate. Can't stop eating at the mo.

Have a good night everyone

Bettie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

And you have your dear dear boy ...how lovely big hugs to both of you xxx
I havent gone back on the posts sorry...but i know that quite a few ladies are having a rough time of it...heartfelt hugs too you!

Sounds lovely Winter..a REAL fire..all snuggly with your boy...

I hope to see my older grandson soon ...since he has known about me ..he hasn't been very well...i wonder how they told it to him...my beloved boy...

Guest user
Not applicable

Ah Wintersocks bless you!
I am similar to you..always something..and now this also!
I think your a very spirited lady and you are doing really well and you even hopped off for a few days away...i think i would be a little nervous to do that!(i didnt mean that i think you are a rabbit btw)lol
You will get there...all this wonderful help on here..i'm old enough to be most of your mum's..but i feel like i am being 'mothered' when i come here...do you feel like that Winter? Its so welcoming and cosy and warming and commonsense...
Take care
Dulcie xxx

wintersocks

For myself, If honest I am still a bit down. I got a letter from my gastroenterologist (sp) to say she has requested a bone scan for me. I have the Coeliac condition, which puts me at high risk for osteoporosis, and I believe that Chemo is a risk factor for that too. So, another round of investigations, well 1 I suppose.

Other things ongoing:
Treatment for a cervical erosion
Scheduled an op, as getting pelvic floor problems, (now delayed)
Also being tested for thyroid stuff.

Oh, and breast cancer too!

Sometimes I never want to see a hospital again! I have always had poor health and find myself looking with envy at fit and strong women.

I know my stuff isn't as bad as others, but I have been at hospitals for years. I don't think there has been a year since late twenties, when I haven't been having a test for something and of course all the breast problems.

Really sorry for moaning. I know I am a bit negative! but have a glass of wine and a lovely roaring real fire so may yet get happy. Also cuddling my lovely boy, (14) who won't stop eating, yet is as thin as a rake

Thank goodness have NO side effects so far following second EC chemo yesterday!

Love to you all

WS xxx

wintersocks

Hello Ladies, a quick note to:

Patchit: Thanks for your wishes and Hugs, they are a great help they really are. Now going commando is really brave, wish I had the courage for that!

Kittyqueen: spots are hair follicles apparently

Bettie: I had a dog like that was very nippy around children so he had to be re-homed. We have a lovely quiet cat now, who is out mousing now, will be in about 3 in morning and will get on my bed.

Wolsty: only 25% eh? The nurse told me it wasbecause she kept hitting a valve, finally another lady did it and bingo (for a while) I looked at in and it was leaking chemo over my hand, so in again! Yes, family leaving is sad especially as my illness has brought our family together (I have a mad family!) but I have a very good friend coming up shortly. I hope you enjoyed your walk out although is a bit nippy?

Gemcat: Welcome to you! My, you have had a tough time and having to cope with little kids too. I do hope you have some help? We have all been where you are with the feelings so, no shame in it. You have had a really hard time. just tell us on here. usually someone to help.

Angelhearts: Congrats from me too, so glad you managed some sleep, it can so help our mental and physical problems. You have been through so much.

Beryl: what a lovely close family you have! so close and caring. They must be a great comfort to you.

WS

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you ladies for all that information xx hugs to you..
I am having EC for 4 sessions then Tax for 4 sessions..i was down for FEC but not now!
I am off straight outa that door pronta ..in the morning to get me heat pads...i shall be wearing them all the way to the hospital..Now do i take all my meds before i go? I take quite a few bits for digestive system...

Also my DIL's mother sent me a fabulous shawl awesome it is..so i will take that with me...or do you think i might forget to bring it home? ....in the rush to get out of there!

Beryls your daughter is almost my DIL's twin to look at ...and she is over six foot..too!
TO all you recent chemo's..i hope this evening is a good one for you..
Dulcie xxxx

ChoccieMuffin

Wow! Well done to all of you. Far too many posts to respond to, but I think you all deserve a pat on the back for slogging through the slog and for giving all the support to everyone.

Guest user
Not applicable

Cath, I'm glad you've got such good support - it sure does make it easier to get through the tough days. I had a read of your blog - love it! Wow, we've had such similar experiences. I've been keeping a blog, too. The url is in my profile if you're interested.

Beryl, thank you for encouraging me to pop over to say hi to the March girls. I started my chemo on Feb 23 and then had an 8 day delay for chemo 3, so I just about qualify to be a March Hare now. heehee. Some of the Feb ladies are approaching chemo 5 and I do worry that I'm going to get left-behind syndrome come June. lol

Carrie x

Ceej

Thanks all phew ! Rash gone now !
Have a lovely evening xx

Gemcat1701

Hi there,

Angelherts - what a fantastic post! You really do deserve a pat on the back. It must have been so scary going through such a severe reaction to gcsf and then having to 'go it alone'? I can imagine exactly how you felt during those nights you stopped yourself from sleeping. I have had similar thoughts and that was WITH the gcsf!! May this positivity last for you and spread to the rest of us!

Joan - It's interesting to hear we've had the same SE's. Re the PMT I'd say normally I get stressed and short tempered rather than depressed & tearful. I do feel much better after having done some exercise and read all the reassuring messages on here. I will get some eye drops too, thanks for that.

Mary - thanks for your welcome, I hope Weds goes really well for you and you stay strong and persevere with the cold cap.

Carrie - Yes I have got that book and read it to the children. It really helped to break the news. what an amazing school community you have! I was very public about my diagnosis, posting it on Facebook and I also write a blog. This resulted in a massive show of support messages from people I didn't even count as my friends. I am so glad I told everyone as it helped massively. Once I get back to the school gates next week, I will probably feel brighter, the Easter holidays have been a bit isolating. It will be good to get back in the routine.

Paraguayan - Thanks for commenting about the hot and cold thing, it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Ceej - hope the piriton works and the rash clears up real quick.

Dulcie - best of luck for Tuesday. I can just echo everyone else's comments, you will be taken great care of. The heat pads definitely help as the chemo comes straight from the fridge. Let us know how you get on.

Jane - thanks for the warm welcome. Enjoy your Guinness! 🙂

I watched the National and even wasted £20 on it! I don't normally bother with it. Both my horses fell but the ending was very exciting. I do feel sorry for the horses tho, it looks brutal when they have a pile up.

Hope everyone has a nice relaxing evening and lovely peaceful sleep.

Cath x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Ladies,
Ceej- I would try the piriton, keep an eye on your temp, and if sypmtoms change/ worseen don't hesitate to call helpline or GP.
Peanut-glad you got wig sorted
Gemcats- welcome to the Marchies, though sorry you have to join us. I think most of us have had highs and lows but have found this thread a wonderful place to rant or get advice. I admire those coping with small children. I also alternate between hot and cold, sometimes my fingers feel like ice.
Angelherts- WELL DONE YOU, it's so wonderful to hear you so upbeat at last. Long may it continue.
Will add red grape to the shopping list.
Glad I popped to the crem today feel better for it, think I may be hormonal to, as period due if it happens this month ( if it does happen hope it is not like the period from hell last month!!)
May try a Guinness later, can't face wine at present.
Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

Ceej - Piriton is to counteract reactions allergies. Take them and if the symptons don't ease or get worse then call them again and asked to be checked out. When I was giving myself WBC injections (8 each session) and I was OK after the first and I thought everything was going to be OK regarding reaction etc. The nurse told me when she came the 2nd day that you can still get a reaction then but it didn't happen apart from the bone aches. When you think about how much stuff is going into our systems it's a blooming miracle that we don't have more things happening. Of course some of us do but they are usually very quick and quite dramatic as some of the ladies have experienced. Don't think that you are being over dramatic about something if you are unsure then ask and ask again. Take care and I hope that it all settles down for you.

Dulcie - I found on my first visit for treatment that nothing was too much trouble and they take the time to explain everything. If you need anything explaining again because you don't understand something then ask them to repeat it. There will be a lot going on and you will be looked after. Whilst I was there over the lunch period they provided sandwiches, yogurt, chrisp and drinks. They come around and offered tea and biscuits at other times. Take a drink of water with you but they have that available as well. Give them a call the day before to check this out if you want confirmation of what they provide refreshment wise and they won't mind. If they don't offer a heat pad for your hand/arm then ask for one but I don't think you will have to ask. If you feel cold they will offer a blanket/towel. Anything you fancy to eat snack wise then take it also. What time is your appointment? Both times I've been I haven't been kept waiting long to go in. I think the earlier the appointment the better because of any problems during appointments that may cause later delays. Also it can get quite warm in there so don't wear anything too thick, better to layer if poss' then you can strip something off before treatment starts and add afterwards before leaving. My unit is only small and they don't allow visitors to stay unless there's a particular problem with the patient. Visitors come in at the start for first one to help settle you in and check how you are doing, but they have to wait in the lounge area or come back when they want to later. They can keep popping in to check but that's it. We were allowed to use mobs but I put mine onto silent mode so it didn't bother any of the other patients. I found the time flew by with everything that is going on in there and you get to chat to the other patients next to or accross from you, if they are inclined, and in my case they were.

Sorry that was a bit long winded but hope it has helped?

Bye for now.

Beryl XX

Ceej

Help ladies - Angelherts?

I've had the itchy rash started two days after the gcsf injection and my lip swelled - lips gone down now but still itchy raised rash on inside if my arms - I called the ward and they said to take Piriton - should I be more worried.
X

pargayan

Hi Everyone
Joan - thanks for the tips on what to eat to improve the various blood counts. Only one I cannot face is the guinness or stout, lager is the only beer that I can drink. I have found that I am not able to drink red wine which is a bit of a bummer.

One thing I have noticed on this site is how many women come on here feeling really nervous, then you watch them grow in confidence which is great.

Angelherts - glad you have conquered your fear of sleeping and congratulations to you x. I want to try the fruit blend as it sounded scrummy.

Dulcie - like others have said the hosp chemo room that I use is quite a calm place, all the nurses are there to help you through what is a difficult time. Being on FEC they sit with you all the time as they have to manually push the chemo into your veins. This is so they can constantly check that the three drugs are going into the veins.
I went bit light headed on one of them, I think they pushed it through a bit quick and she slowed down when I told her. Another one made my nose tingle. If you are on FEC then you need to make sure they cover your arm with a heat pad as I think it helps the chemo go through easier and have to say I have had no problems with pain in the arm so assume the heat pad helps with this. 1st time round they explained all the possible side effects that you can have. I found the fear of the unknown was the worst thing but once treatment was started it eased off. Good luck and happy birthday for the day.

I also feel colder than I usually do but then get really hot but it is not the flush kind of hot.

Hope everyone is managing their SEs and have a good weekend x.