Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

wintersocks

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Hiya and Dulcie,

Hope it goes ok tomorrow Rae,

Dulcie, yes always repeatedly ask name address, etc, lots of checks and double checks, just to make sure they get it right.

I had brief swelling, on the hand, but was ok by the evening. My heat pads didn't work, and in the end had the bowl of hot water, and it kinda worked , came out briefly, but then re-sited.

It's a pity your hubby is unwell, you will need to keep an eye out that you don't pick up whatever he has got, but indeed you could certainly do without that.

I am 4 days post chemo 2, I saw the Gp today who is going to support my application for DVLA. for the BC and other health issues. I am only 51 and feel really ancient!

I am ok, but mood is stil low, numb kind of. I wonder if that will pass? I hate these times inbetween treatment. It feels like too much waiting. There is a long way for me to go yet, as I know that to be the case for many others of us on here. MX, rads, and Hormone stuff. That as well as endless other appointments, bone scan next for me. I could have a full time job managing my health - really.

Sorry, sounding off tonight bout myself, but as always am thinking of others especially those who have been really poorly.

P.s plenty of room around my fire, for everyone, including assorted mangy mutts and scratty cats, cakes, wine, chocolate, tele, etc, etc. Whatever!!

WSx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies...i still have not read back...just skimmed and saw all your good wishes..thank you xxx

Well i ended up going into chemo all on my own..they wouldn't let OH in with him not being well! I was like an old 'pro' ..(.not that kind)
Not much info given at all...and mean on the food ..i was there from 9.30am till 3pm..and got 1 cup of tea and 1 skinny sandwich...
The heat pads worked a dream...except i went in there (the only one btw) wearing a huge grey woolley glove clutching the pad to my hand..i wonder if they thought ..it was a kind of joke? it certainly raised a few eyebrows....then they put it into the OTHER hand ..can you beat that? next time i will have pads on Both hands ..that will confuse them...
I have a swelling on the injection site..and i have been feeling spaced out since the chemo..is this right? Do they always keep asking you who you are and your date of birth...there was even some confusion at one point as they gathered around the drip!
Its really worrying me that my OH is poorly ..sorry to say for selfish reasons also...as he looks after me...and i cant afford to pick up his bug....
I met several nice ladies and one..told me in a LOUD voice how they had damaged her arm and she had had THREE PICC lines in and ...at that point ..i nearly ran...as i was still waiting to go in!
I did tell them a story as i left..which had them laughing..i must tell you all one day...
But i was mostly spaced out and still am...
Love
Dulcie xxxx

ChoccieMuffin

Raechi, that's exactly what's supposed to happen! I can vaguely remember groaning a bit, but don't really remember the insertion at all. Still another 4 Herceptin to go, and then I'll be thinking about them taking the thing out, ooer...

For all of you trying to turn yourselves into fishes, I know drinking a lot of water is a good idea, but three litres might be a bit excessive. Sure you don't mean three PINTS? If you really don't like the taste of plain water, try the flavoured waters from the supermarket. They're not as sweet and sticky as squash and quite refreshing. I used to stock up before poisons and keep them in the fridge.

Megsmum, that sounds rather scary! The thing is, we can never know whether we're going to pick something up when out in a crowd. Most people are fine, so I hope your experience doesn't turn you into a complete hermit.

And the name of the cream to ask about is Hirudoid. Don't know what's in it but a lot of people who have sore veins find it very helpful.

Night all. Off to my pit soon.

CM
x

raechi

Hello lovely ladies,
I survived the portacath insertion. It's bloody sore but I am all systems go for tomorrow. To be honest I think they sedated me that me that much I don't really remember it.
I hope everyone is ok. I am off to munch some pain killers so sorry this post is short. FEC 2 tomorrow for me.
Hope you are all ok, and SE's are minimal.
Big hugs to all you lovely ladies.
Xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Kittyqueen - That's much better and makes a big difference without cold cap time added. If all goes well that will mean that I will be out of there before lunch time. My wig design/style name is 'Frankie'. They give each style a name and there were lots to choose from. Sadly, she is still sitting on the stand covered up. I've just been using the scarves and hat that I have. One day I suppose I will have to give her an outing. Glad you got through your session OK today. Another one to tick off and nearer the end. Well done!

Bye again.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies

Megsmum - Oh my goodness what an ordeal you had and your husband must have been frantic trying to get you to hospital. My heart goes out to you and all the trouble that you had. So pleased that you are over it now apart from taking the antibiotics. Here's hoping that nothing gets delayed for you. I try and keep away from crows as much as I can but you can never be sure of anything can you?

ChoccieMuffin - Nice to hear from you and good luck with your job interview. You are a mine of info' and it's just as well when you think of what you have to do to even get an interview these days. Let us know how you got on. How long is it before you finish your Herceptin?

Marie - Knew you would enjoy your LGFB session and the lovely goodies they give you. Thanks for the tip about insurance quotes, one to remember for the future.

Angelherts - Your red marks sound just like the back of my hand but mine marks have just been itchy and not painful. See what they say when I go to the hospital Onc tomorrow. Got two more sessions left so it will be interesting. Cream is slowly clearing it up but I don't know about them putting chemo back into same vein again, makes me wonder. My senario at the moment is Onch Wed, blood Mon and chemo Tues, assuming everything goes to plan. Oh and you are probably right about feeling crap Thurs to Sun/Mon. We are all with you on wanting it to be over and our lives back again. Being normal feels like ages ago, about 4 Dec when we took my twin sister to the airport to catch her plane to USA. Got my call back letter just after she'd gone home, which was a bit ironic because I was over there with her when she got diagnosed 20 years ago. Like I said to you all before she's fine and may it continue.

Let's hope we hear something from the ladies that went for treatment today and Raechi for her PIC.

Mary - Thinking of you for tomorrow and hope all goes well. It should be OK as this is your second and you know what to expect and how to handle things.

Bye for now. Hubby just given me some red grapes to eat so I'll catch up with you all again later.

Beryl XX

Kittyqueen

Aaaaaaaaaaargh just typed big post and lost it Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Evening All,

Kq reporting in from 2nd treat, all went well and Beryl I was out in 2 hrs 15 mins....much better. Feel ok at the min...slighty queasy tum but nothing much. We even called for lunch and I had a fishfinger muffin...yummm and of course a pint and half of........water!!!!! Water=Dislike today.....should've been a camel :)))))) wanted to go to work for a bit when I got back but Oh made me have a rest :))))

Megsmum...hugs to you and pleased your feeling better.

Met a lady who'd got wigs from same place as me...Do you name the wigs yourselves or frrom the name of the design inside..both of mine are called 'Ellen'

Dulcie...hope you got on ok today...been thinking of you xxxx

Huggles to all.

Love KQ

Big huggles to everyone else

megsmum

Bloomin heck its taken me ages to go through all the posts i missed while on holiday and in hospital.

1st 2 days really good friends came to caravan and we had a good chat and laugh, we decided to have a day out at a local castle BIG mistake, we had to que for ages to get in as it was part of the harry potter thing so was full of kids. (I,m blaming them ha ha )
Next day felt tired and couldnt keep warm and during the night woke up shaking uncontrolably (rigor) but must of drifted back to sleep, I had forgotten to take thermometer with me so when it happened later in the day hubby went to buy one temp was 38.7c, we rang the chemo unit who said to go to nearest A&E dept as i needed bloods doing urgently, we rang to find out where they were good job really cos when hubby explained they said not to go as they had no facilities for me, and advised him to take me to Edinburgh about 80 miles from where we were.
After much deliberation i said i wanted to come home so rightly or wrongly we drove 2hrs home and went straight to A&E, by the time we arrived i was feeling really ill and was taken straight into a room, luckily the staff where on the ball and i had bloods taken. My temp was fluctuating and my blood pressure was dropping.
I was then admitted to a single room on the ward where staff tried for ages to get a canula into me as i was so dehydrated and unwell. I was treated for Neutropenic sepsis with IV antibiotics they have found no source of infection but think that by going to a very public place on day 9 i have picked up an infection which my body couldn,t fight,
I am now on oral antibiotics for another week and am hoping that this doesn,t affect my next treatment.
I cannot beleive how quickly i became so very unwell, and will certainly be more careful next time and remember to take my thermometer wherever i go.

So bring it on BC what are you going to throw at me next.

Keep strong xxx

ChoccieMuffin

Angelherts, I see a counsellor regularly and the way she looks at the tears is that at least I feel comfortable letting go with her, safe, and that it's not a BAD thing to cry.

We almost have a competition - I go in and say "I'm not going to this week", we have our session, and then I leave saying "ok, you win again!" I don't feel bad about crying (in fact I often end up laughing at the same time because she's got me again!) and I always feel better after the session than I did before. Know what you mean about all the appointments though, it's quite exhausting, isn't it.

Looking back at this time last year, we had some really nice weather around FEC3 for me, so the day after I went on a long walk with OH and his dog, along the canal towpath to the pub, had lunch and then walked back again. No big deal, you might say, but the pub was over 8 miles away... Foolish I think, as I spent the next three days snoozing on and off! So do try and do a little bit of exercise if you are up to it, but don't go bananas.

Well done everyone for getting this far. I'm not going to say "half way through", I found that a bit tough to deal with, so I just ticked them off in my head one at a time, that was as much as I could do.

And one year on, I was at a job interview today. Even if I don't get the job it doesn't matter, because just getting the interview was a real boost to my confidence and it was really good to be doing stuff that had NOTHING to do with cancer, and I didn't even tell them. (For interest, I am not obliged to mention it to them at this stage, only once they offer me the job, and then I will be classified as disabled from the perspective of the Equalities Act, and they have to make "reasonable adjustments". Like letting me have time off for Herceptin, for example.)

CM
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All,
Well back from my LGFB session, what a fab morning, met some lovely ladies and got some wonderful skincare and make up products never had anything so posh!!!!
Attended scarf tying and hat session afterwards lots of fun, so have updated photo ( well previous pic was me in Portugal pre BC.)
Asked about travel insurance, they advised using the Macmillan site, Cancer Research site and Mia travel site, they also advise to go through a broker to get multiple quotes rather than individaul companies as if they give you a quote and you get refused you then have to declare that you have been refused insurance, crafty aren't they!!!!!
Will check posts later
Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

Still catching up with the new posts so no personals this time.

Just to say I went for the Psych assessment and the lady was very nice but I went from being totally upbeat to a crying mess again just by having to talk. I think my positive head only works when I am in "denial mode" - so probably not a long term strategy.

Have first proper counselling session on Friday so intrigued to see what they suggest/do.

Popped into Chemo suite and showed the Nurse my arm and she said I need a PICC because my veins have reacted to the FEC and she said it will get harder with the TAX ? I have very distinctive red marks / lines around the area where the Chemo went in and she gave it a name but I can't remember what she said.

Ironically it's feeling a bit better today so might well of recovered in the next 7 days but I suspect it will only do the same again on the next session and if it gets worse each time then I will end up with a PICC anyway, but will of suffered for weeks each time for nothing. So a PICC now is probably a better idea.

Having it done next Tuesday so starting to feel that I don't have any good days left with Doctor tomorrow, Counselling Friday, Bloods Monday, PICC Tuesday, Chemo Weds - Feeling CRAP Thurs - Sunday.

How people are supposed to earn a living during all this is beyond me !

Sorry for a more negative post today but so sick of this now, want it over and done with so I can have a life again.

Hope you are all coping well and I will read all the updates now.

Angie

Gemcat1701

Hi All

This is just a quick one to say Hi and wish everyone well. A friend posted this saying on Facebook today, it's very apt to our situation -

"WORRY DOES NOT EMPTY TOMORROW OF ITS TROUBLES - IT EMPTIES TODAY OF ITS STRENGTH."

So true and I'm going to make every effort to stop worrying as it never helps. I've just had my pre-chemo bloods taken, and it went ok, although my veins are very bruised in places. Now I'm off to get a bone scan. Only been offered cos I was complaining of back ache during my hospital stay.

I've also got to get my passport renewed so need a new photo. What bad timing! So I can either go wigless and look like G.I Jane or wear my blonde or my brown wig. Neither of which are perfect as I borrowed them and they've not been cut to suit me. The blonde is favourite tho. I shall be stuck with it for years to come.

Dulcie - happy birthday and I really hope you have a good experience at the hospital today (as good as it can be).

Thanks for all the posts about drinking more water - I probably haven't been drinking enough and will take your good advice.

Hope it's a good day for you ladies. Take care,
Cath xx

waiting_too

Dear Jane (Wolsty),

I have had prolonged side effects after chemo 3. Like you, I don't know if it is just an accumulative effect or because I didn't drink as much water. Onwards for chemo 4 I'm going to be drinking like a whale.

Clare

Care_N

Hello again! Day 7 after FEC 3 and I feel like I’ve re-joined the land of the living this morning - thank goodness! I’m so pleased I’ve finished with FEC, I reallt found FEC 3 hard, although I’m not sure TAX is going to be any better. But I’m half way through, and today I do feel that this is doable - I really haven’t been sure about that for the last few days!

Happy birthday Dulcie! And good luck today. Such a shame you have to spend it this way, but I’m sure you’ll celebrate in style soon.

KQ and Jane, good luck today. I think I probably did drink the 3 litres before chemo (I definitely spent long enough going backwards and forwards to the loo!), but my difficulty is drinking enough afterwards, when I feel constantly nauseous and don’t want to drink anything - unfortunately it doesn’t stop me eating everything in sight! I did think that next time I would make jelly as I do find it hard to drink enough - is that just me? Jelly is good for the nails too, which can be a problem with TAX.

Rae hope the portacath goes well, and good luck for tomorrow.

Jayjay, congratulations to your daughter, you mast have been sooo proud!

WinterSocks, hope you are feeling better today. Hope you’re sitting in front of that fire, and wish I was too, it’s such a miserable day.

Megsmum, I’m so sorry you’ve been so unwell - makes me feel really guilty for moaning and feeling sorry for myself with normal se‘s. Glad you’re out of hospital and hope you are feeling better now.

Carolyn and other ladies who are having periods to cope with as well as se’s, I hope you’re feeling better. Thankfully I went through menopause about 5 years ago, without any real problems, but now since starting this horrible journey find I have awful night sweats and hot flushes - what’s that all about?

Angelherts, my arm is still painful too, but it didn’t make FEC 3 any harder, which was worrying me. I think it helps to stretch it regularly, which I was trying not to do as its painful, but it does seem to ease it a bit.

Liz, the wedding sounds amazing, so glad you had a good time!

I am so jealous of you ladies who’s husband’s bought you I-pads when I got hair clippers! I think I will have to buy myself one…

Joan. Hope you’re ok now, and everything is good with flat/job for your son. And look forward to seeing you and Carolyn on Thursday for scarf lessons!!

Good luck to everyone having treatment this week. Sorry this is so long, even though I haven’t responded to everyone I wanted to, but as I haven’t done ANYTHING for the last week I must get the house sorted out now!

Lots of love and hugs to you all.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Well bloods done, now trying to get appt with GP for sick note, flipping impossible to get appt!!
Bettie- hope you have a lovely day with your niece and mum. The nausea is horrible, my nausea didnt start till the 4th day, oncologist didnt understand why it took so long, he reckons I picked up a tummy bug!! when things dont go to their plan it throws them a bit but we are all individuals and chemo is going to affect us all in some similar but also some different ways. hope it settles for you.
Beryl- lovely to chat to you last night, so funny I cant get the image of you in Australia with the vodka out of my head!! still laughting about it!! OH totally agrees with you as thats what he would have done!!
Socks - Like Beryls idea of us all cosying up together in front of fire, need some good wine with us also!
Waiting Too- Gosh 8 sessions, thought I had enough with 6. At least as you say nearly half way through, thinking of you x love the pun also!
going to see an old friend who has had a hip replacement recently as she cant drive so going to pick up a nice bit of lunch for us to have. Trying to get fluid down me!!
Best wishes everyone
Mary xx

waiting_too

HI Ladies,

I'm a quiet one these days but still reading when I can. 3rd juicing behind me now. I have one more of this kind and then 4 x tax bringing me to 8 in total, urgh.

Rae, I'm thinking of you today and hope you are strong and have your portacath fitted fine.

Megsmum - my heart goes out to you. what on earth happened?

Beryl, you're posts always make me smile. We 'feel the love' .

socks - the change to our identity is a tough one. I wish you could see the reaction of those who love you, more than the reaction of strangers. I'd say FEC 'em - pun intended 🙂

Clare

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies
Well the weather here is horrible, very wet and windy.Glad to be going to my LGFG session today.
Patchit- hope your temp behaved overnight, I think most of us would admit to panicking about something, as we now that there is the potential that we could become ill, where as before BC we wouldnt take our temp so regularly and would just pop a paracetamol or slap on some cream and carry on as normal, I think it's always best to get these things checked out. Good news re your sons job hope he is as successful with the flat.
Megsmum- poor you was it your sore mouth that caused the problems, hope you managed to enjoy some of the break before you ended up in hospital. Hope you are starting to feel better.
Dulcie- you are a little rebel!!!!Good luck for today and Happy Birthday, you made me laugh about the pressies.
Well as well as my dry eyes I have a small ulcer appear in mouth overnight, not sore , but will keep an eye and this is meant to be my good week!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs to all
Jane

Kittyqueen- good luck for today

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies

DULCIE - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Will be thinking of you today having your first session. They will take good care of you and you will be fine. I'm sure you will brighten up their day to with your cheerful character. If you get tearful then don't worry about it because it's only understandable but it will soon pass once you start and feel reassured. Please let us know as soon as you can how you got on. Big hugs X

KQ - Thinking of you as well and hope you managed the huge amount of water before treatment. Don't know if I've managed 3 ltrs but have done 2 1/2 ltrs, so not much in it. At least with the second you virtually know what to expect and how to handle things during and after. Please let us know as soon as you can how you got on. Big hugs to you X

Megsmum - Wow what a tough time you have had and I do hope you are on the mend now. Were you near your own hopital or did you have to be admitted to somewhere else? Please keep us updated with you progress so that we know that you are OK. Another big bug to you X.

My emergency card states 36 for lowest temp but when I asked my Onch Registrar he said that I shouldn't call in unless it got down to 34 and 36 wasn't a cause for concern unless I was feeling really unwell. Sometimes I can't work things out with all this conflicting info. When I go to the hospital on Wed to see Onch (assuming I get to see him) I will ask the question again from him to get clarification, hopefully. Registrar said they were more concerned about the higher temp and most certainly had to call in if it gets to 38 which is what is printed on the emergency card. I don't take my temp on a regular basis anymore because it just makes me jittery. I did the other day (Sun) when I wasn't feeling quite right and it was going between 36.4 - 36.7.

Jaayjay - Ref' my vein, when it started flaring up I contacted my Chemo Helpline and they said to come in so they could check it out. She got the on duty doctor (chemo suite) to come and have a look. She said that it looked like the chemo had irritated the vein and looked at my other hand, asked if I was a breast patient etc. She gave me a prescription for hydrocortizone cream, which I have to put on twice a day. It is slowly improving but looks like a big letter Y on the back of my hand. I will show it to the onc/registrar on Wed for their opinion as well. A lot of the veins on the back of my right hand crossover and the nurse said they need to use a straight one. I only had a very slight mark on the back of my hand after the first one so this is probably a build up over two treatments. Thanks for responding to my problem - I do appreciate all comments as I'm sure everyone else does. Other than my rash I'm feeling my old self today. It's my good week now before 3rd session next Tues. Then I only have one more to go which should be about 15 May, if all goes well and I have to say fingers crossed, you know me!

Rae - Will be thinking of you and having your PIC fitted and then your next treatment. Take care and big hug X,

Patchit - Well, that's good news about your sons job, one step at a time and hope it all works out for him. I purchased a couple of buffs and one or maybe both have UV protection. They are so comfortable but I haven't been out in one yet. Mainly wear them around the house. Think I got mine from R&R Confidence.

Angelherts - I find that the chemo effects my right ear and right jaw. Puts them on edge and makes my ear twinge. Now I'm into my last 7 days it has subsided and I have no other reason to suspect it's anything else. Will mention it again to Onc on Wed his Registrar didn't take much notice just said I should get my ear checked out by my GP if I get concerned! I don't want to waste my GP's time because I don't think it's an ear infection starting.

Socks - How are you today? If you are not careful you will have a room full of us all snuggled up under a mulitude of blankets with lots of colourful hats sticking out. Imagine the scene!

Peanut (Mary) - Have a good day and remember the water. You will be off for your second one tomorrow. Thinking of you.

There are ladies that we haven't heard from in quite a while and I/we hope that you are all doing fine and keeping up with our group. If you can find the time please come on and let us know how you are doing and all is well with your treatment.

Hubby just made me a nice cup of tea so I will go and join him on the sofa.

Thinking of you all and take care.

Beryl XX

Bettie

Morning all

Dulcie, good luck with your chemo today and hope the SE's are minimal

Megsmum, really sorry you have been so ill and hope you are feeling better

I'm exhausted, spent whole of yesterday in bed (day 11 post chemo) and very nauseous. My hair has started to come out in strands which made me feel dead upset even though I knew it was going to happen and thought I'd be ok about it. Off to my mums today with my sister and niece so a nice bit of family time.

Hope you all have a good day and to those having chemo hope it goes ok

Bettie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone
Dulcie/KQ- Good luck with chemo today, hope SEs are minimal for you.
Patchit- congrats on sons job, hope it all works out ok.
Megsmum- Sorry to hear you have been so poorly, horrible isnt it thinking of you xx
Georgie- I drank 3 litres each day for 2 days prior to chemo and afterwards, was great for 2 days then nausea kicked in big time spent 4 days in bed!!! so really dont know what happened there!!
Off to have pre-chemo bloods done today for tomorrow. Miserable day here, cold and raining so wont be doing much else.
Hope everyone has a good day.
Mary xx

Wolsty

Georgie

Re your water post - for FECs 1 and 2 I tried (and just about managed) to drink 3 litres of water on the actual day of chemo and my SEs were relatively minimal - bit of nausea, constipation, bad taste in mouth, tiredness etc. For FEC 3 I didnt manage to drink as much water as I was travelling back from my Mum's on the morning of chemo so couldn't keep stopping the car to go to the loo. I have felt much worse following FEC 3!! -might the water or might just be cumulative. Anyway, before my No. 4 which is Tax I am definitely going to go back to the water.

Jane xx

Wolsty

Morning

Good luck to Dulcie and KQ today.

Dulcie - I have had 2 glasses of wine the day before my FECs 1,2 and 3 (nobody told me not too) and I have been fine, minimal SEs really. Did also try and drink 3 litres of water on the day of chemo too.

Thinking of you today - it will be fine xx

Kittyqueen

Morning All,

Been up since 5.00am...got myselfbit worked up about no 2 juicing for some reason.

Dulcie--I'm in the naughty gang too I had a small sherry last night lol. Really hope all goes ok for you today and the process really isn't as bad as you imaginexx Hugsxxx

Brain not working this morning so just a quickie hugs to all..off to drink another few gallons of water :)))))))))))) Yummmmmm NOT!!

Love
KQ

Guest user
Not applicable

Jayjay i'm really trying to flush it out now with..grape and rasberry juice...so EVERYTHING will be red tomorrow...i chucked the whiskey out..what a waste!! I'm more of a rebel Jayjay.....lol
I do hate being restricted...but nobody said...i didn't get any leaflets...telling me not to...commonsense me?
Usually i have a sensible head honest!
Night love..up early tomorrow...
Dulcie xxx

jayjay40

Yes it does count with EC, naughty Dulcie, lol! Never mind one wont hurt, just lots of water after!!! You are the naughty member of the gang aren't you? Lol!!! Bloody hell if you cannot enjoy a little tipple at this difficult time, what can you do?! Enjoy 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

TOOOOO late..i am in the middle of a whiskey and dry ginger right now!
Nobody told me i couldnt tuts...what should i do about it? Finish it off? lol
I am having EC so does that count?
Dulcie xxx

jayjay40

Hi Dulcie Sorry Hun but NO booze pre chemo as it is not good for chemo or SE's....your posts really make me lol! so funny! You need to drink plenty of water, are you on fec, I cant remembre? If you are the epiruibicin really is a very nasty chemo and needs serious flushing from your body as quickly as poss so its fluids, fluids, fluids but none of them alcoholic kind. Good luck for tom x

Wintersocs-I agree, that real fire sounds fab especially as I have been freezing all day! Try to be braver re your hats & scarfs. I am sure all people are thinking is 2look at that lovely lady over there". I really understand as with the scarfs on you feel as thou' you may just as well stick a banner above your head saying "cancer patient". However at the end of the day who cares what people think. We are all in this together, our little gang & no-one will bully you again!! Bless you, how horrid to feel so insecure, going by your pic I think you are beautiful. You just need to hold your head up high & be proud that you are a strong women, fighting this horrible disease with courage & lots of us standing by your side & fighting it with you!!! big hugs xxxx

Patchit

Hi dulcie. Quik post as am in bed. My onc said no booze day b4 chemo but plenty of water. Big hug 2 u 4 tomo.
Joan xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone xx i will do my best and really look where you are all up too after this chemo...

Am i allowed an alcoholic (sp) drink tonight ...i could murder one right now!!...

Also i bought a eye pad today that you can warm up in the micro wave...i have used one before! it was a bit warm on my skin..i think it has burnt my cheek a bit...i have dry eye...BUT i have felt a bit dizzy ever since teatime...plus OH is still coughing and sniffing..and now i am too!

Wintersocks i will come and join you one day! Good company AND real fire...
I'm so sorry some of you are having such an awful time at the moment..and shingles is dreadful..

I'm afraid i might cry tomorrow...and make a show of myself..mind you i nearly cried at my brothers b'day gift...a boring box of Cadburys...and it smelt of fags too!
A friend sent flowers and they where on their way out(out of date)..the woman delivering them almost chucked them through the door at me (must have called earlier) and pulled at the door taking at least a quarter of the bliddy heads off! lol
Hi Joan how is your sons flat and job going?
I will catch up..i feel awful i haven't sent personal messages!
PLEASE answer about the BOOZE!
Dulcie xxxx

Patchit

Megsmum, big hug to you and so sorry to hear of your problems, glad you are out of hospital and hope you recover over the next few days.

Joan xxx

Patchit

Hello again ladies. I went down to the GP this afternoon who checked me over and said that everything seems fine and just to keep an eye on the temperature. Slightest thing and I am panicking! Heavens! I am turning into aright worry wort! Thanks for the info re temp ladies, I couldn’t find anything in my paperwork, must have been in one of the trees that I have chucked out!

Jayjay, well done to your daughter! That’s great! You must be very proud and glad you could attend. Hope you had a lovely day with your friend.

Jane, hope you had a lovely timeout with your friend. Coffee and cake sounds fab! Good luck at the LGFB session tomorrow, I am sure you will enjoy it, I certainly did!

KQ, hope you got to zumba this evening, you energetic thing! Good luck for your treat tomorrow.

Carolyn, hope you are feeling a bit better today and your period is easing off. Funny how the drugs affects us all differently!

Georgie, hope you didn’t scare the computer man away! Lol! I know I didn’t drink the 3.5l if water. Meant to, and will try harder next time!

EB Hippo, really glad to hear that the wedding went well and that Cleopatra was a success! I bet she was a bit hot after a few hours, no wonder you needed to put your buff on instead!

Mollie43, that’s great you had a nice weekend away with your family. Lets hope you get back on track on Thursday with your treats and have no more delays!

Beryl, hope the problems with your vein have subsided.

Lydia, sorry to hear you are still feeling on the low side. Big hug to you. I hope you get on ok with your psychology appointment. I just wonder if it would help you to come to terms with what has happened a bit more if you were able to talk about it more openly? I know its easier said than done, but people are surprisingly supportive, often when you least expect it. You might find it a bit easier to accept if you didn’t have to pretend it wasn’t happening. I’m sorry if that sounds patronising, it honestly isn’t meant to! Don’t be so hard on yourself, chemo can affect your mood as well and it might be part of your SE’s for this round. Xxx

Angelhearts, sorry your arm is so sore. Hope the teeth are behaving themselves. My youngest son had one taken out last week and he used to suffer badly with toothache. Hope the pink buff is lovely and bright and cheery!

Bettie, I got my buff from http://www.buffwear.co.uk where they do lots of different sorts, plenty to choose from! I got an UV protection one as I knew I would be wearing it over the summer.

Rae, good luck to you for the next couple of days, will be thinking of you and hoping all goes well. Xxx

Socks, nice to hear from you and I can imagine you tucked up in front of your fire, have you any more room under that blanket for another one?! Ruddy steroids, really mess with my head, sleep and mood, much the same as you!

My son, Jack, tells me that he has got the job he went for today. We will see, I am keeping an open mind until he has actually started! It all looks positive at the moment, thanks for all your good wishes.

Have a good night ladies, and I hope the SE’s stay away.
Hugs to all
Joan xxx

megsmum

Hi everyone just a quick post.
My Holiday ended abrubtly when i was admitted to hospital with Neutropenic Sepsis really unwell on IV antibiotics and in isolation i have never felt so ill and only got out today.
I,m going to try and catch up with all of your news now

GeorgieB

In the end the guy didn't come till 11.00 so was dressed! But was bald, he didn't bat an eyelid! But I did tell him, sadly my daughters computer has died.
Was wandering how many of us drink the 3 and a half litres we are meant to prior to chemo, I drank loads but I am sure wasn't that amt and wandered if the ones who did had less s.e?
Love Georgie xxx

wintersocks

I have my real fire on again, is lovely and comforting. It is a cold night in the Pennines.

Dulcie, you are welcome any time to sit with me in front of it. How is your grandson? I know you are a little worried for him. My boy is sitting next to me, and seems cheery enough (as it was back to school day) and I have a lovely cat to the other side.

For myself, I am 3 days post chemo 2. I have a bit more nausea this time, but I am not taking the metoclopromide, as the nurse says that is what is possibly making me feel a bit jittery.

I hate the steroids too, as my sleep is messed up and always end up taking it too late.

My mood is also low, but the nurse told me could be steroids too.

I hate going out as feel like people are looking at my hats, and scarves and thinking 'chemo -lady'. Reminds me of being bullied at school..that feeling.

Tomorrow, I am off to Gp again, this time for other stuff, plus she wants to keep checking me. I just want to stay in where I feel safest.

Can only go back 1 page, as tiredness prevents, but hello to all who have mentioned me and I do read and save your replies (in my head!)

Lots of love to you all.

Wintersocks xxxx

wintersocks

Hello March Ladies,

Jayjay40: _ Congrats to your daughter on her gold medal, you must be thrilled. I was always so proud when my boys did well at the swim club. Unfortunately they stopped as the teens approached.

KQ: Hope all goes well with chemo 2. Mine was Friday gone, and I am doing well so far.

Beryl: I had an early menopause too. I was offered HRT due to bad symptoms. I refused because of the risk of bc. My diagnosis is highly hormone responsive too. It is hard to make a judgement on what we should or shouldn't do. I wonder what would have happened had I have taken it. Judgement is sometimes luck, I think.

Angelhearts: A poorly arm, that does sound painful if you can't wear a watch. Is it today you saw the onc? or do you mean next Monday? Perhaps you could get your GP or bcc nurse to look? If not til next Mon to see the Onc.

PoppyD: you are having a tough time again, with the shingles. I was also wondering how your son is doing too?

More...

raechi

The joys of technology jay 🙂

raechi

Hello lovely ladies,
Just a quick one from me. Am off out. Op for portacath tomorrow and my juicing weds so I may be a little quiet.
Hope all those who are suffering feel better soon.
Hugs to all.
Rae
Xx

jayjay40

First of all I kept losing my posts but now I am double posting everything & have no idea how......so irritating. Sorry guys!!!

jayjay40

Hi Ladies

Hope everyone ok today? I have had a good day as have felt quite bright & almost back to me. My bestest friend in the world came to visit me today from Taunton. She has been amazing since my diagnosis & I know I could not have coped so well without her. We drank tea, ate yummy biscuits & put the world to rights like we always do, lol!

Jane- Glad you had a nice coffee with your friend today too. Good luck with your LGFG session, I will be intrigued to hear how you get on as I am looking forward to going on one too. I have been told they are fantastic & that you get lots of nice freebies, so enjoy!

KQ-Good luck with chemo tomorrow. I am amazed to see that you are managing zumba classes which I think is incredible. How do you find the energy? My fec3 is a wk Thurs, grrrrrh!

Carolyn-So sorry re your period problems. Is just a nightmare & seems so unfair that you have that to worry about too. Fingers crossed it will get better for you soon.

Ebhippo- Sounds as if you had a really good time at your sons wedding. Well done for surviving so long with your wig. I am with Beryl as I can only tolerate mine for about 5 mins,lol!

Mollie43-Wow so jealous re the ipad, as I would love one. Might have to throw your hubby's thoughtfulness into the conversation when speaking with my hubby........you never know anything is worth a try when a poss ipad is involved. Not that I am devious or anything 🙂

Beryl- Poor you re your painful vain/rash. As the rash runs along the line of the vain, have you had it looked at?....It sounds awful
Sometimes when chemo is given it can leak a bit out of the vain into the surrounding tissue, called extravasation. When this happens it can cause painful rashes or wounds but it can also be relieved quickly if treated quickly & correctly. I just hope you have not been suffering in silence, so if need be call your chemo unit. Glad to hear your hubby has been looking after you so well. Big Hugs

Lydia-I agree with Angie, don't be so hard on yourself. I ALWAYS struggle to get my 8 yr old, Alice to school on time, ill or well, she seems more often than not to be late!!I am sure your low mood will soon improve. Try to remember that your low mood may not be down to you but as a SE of the chemo. All this cancer business if very difficult to deal with but I am sure things will soon improve. Hang in there! x

Angie-your arm sounds really painful too. Read my advice to Beryl as it may help you. I have had a left mx so cannot use that arm & typically have 0 vains on the right side. My first chemo took hrs and numerous attempts and getting a needle in so I opted for a Picc line which was the best decision. My next chemo was pain free & very fast! Really hope your arm is better soon big hugs

Mary-coffee with friends sounds great. Guess it is good to catch up with colleagues cause it enables you to stay in the mix of it all & not feel so isolated. Good luck for Weds

Wolsty-Glad you are feeling better. Think the tiredness will get worse as we all go along. Mine is getting worse. Fingers crossed you will feel better soon x

Pargayan-Congratulations on making it to the half way mark.....yipee, that is fantastic. Hope the SE'S will be minimal & take care.

Well that is me for today. All the best to those have their juice tomorrow. I am off for a night on the sofa with my beautiful girls and lovely hubby.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All
Patchit- my booklet also says to contact clinic if temp 36 or less and if you are having other symptoms. Hope Gp can sort you out if not.
Pargayan -glad bloods were ok and your chemo could go ahead,you are halfway there.
Georgie B- bald and boobless hope you didnt scare him before pc fixed!!!!!
EBHippo- impressive length of tiime that you wore your wig, glad the wedding went ok and you weer able to have a boogie!!!
Dulcie- hope you are sorted for your chemo and of course your special birthday ( which ever one that may be!!!!!)
Kittyqueen - hope all goes well with your chemo tomorrow.
Chascat - hope you are starting to feel better and not so low in mood this BC is certainly a rollercoaster.
Woltsy- choc brownies yumyum, am dribbling as I type!!!
Angelherts- good luck with the psych session tomorrow, hope you can get some physio sorted soon for your arm.
Beryl- glad to hear you are feeling better and rash continues to improve.My arm feels slightly tender, but no bruise to be seen anymore, it has 6 days to fully recover.
Raechi- good luck with chemo tomorrow ( think I got the right day)
Very envious of you people with I pads, maybe I can hint at an early birthday pressie from hubby!!!
Amylou- love the cat pic, similar colur to my 2, brother and sister rescue cats had them a couple of years now, they have been spoilt
since I have been off work and definitely favour me over hubby!!!
Well have My LGFB session tomorrow at the Big C centre in Norwich, so looking forward to that, it's also followed by a scarf tying session, so will be staying for that as not very successful at present.
Sorry if I missed anyone due chemo tomorrow it's hard to always keep track.
Hugs to all
Jane
Enjoyed coffee and cake with my friend

pargayan

Hi All
Well half way through now – seems so good to say that. I had to have my bloods checked again before hand but they were all ok despite developing a cold yesterday. I did not use the coldcap this time as I needed to be able to drive home and that extra 1.5 hrs at the end of the treatment makes all the difference. They used the portacath and I am happy to say it worked fine and speeded the process up, there was a little pain to start with which was no different to them trying to find a vein and it soon eased off, so anyone wondering if they should have one, go for it.

Beryl – I too started my menopause in my early 40s but did not use HRT and still got strongly hormone positive BC so don’t beat yourself up about it. Glad you had a better nights sleep and your hand seems to be getting better.

JayJay – glad to hear you managed the long day with your daughter and she made it worthwhile, well done to her for the gold medal.

GeorgieB – hope you did not scare him off and your pc is now fixed.

Liz (EBHippo) – so pleased to hear you made your son’s wedding and boogied all night, I know you were worried you would not be feeling ok. Good luck for Thursday.

Mollie – good luck for Thurs

KittyQueen – Good luck for tomorrow. Not using the coldcap meant I was out in less than 2 hours which is a lot better than the normal 4 plus. They do appreciate the notification as they have now changed my other times to later in the afternoon so they can fit someone else in who needs longer for their treatment.

Lydia – sorry to hear you are feeling low, hope it goes soon as it is not a nice feeling. Hopefully you will get some benefit from the psychology appointment and be able to process all that is happening. I think it takes a long time and sometimes talking to someone who is not closely involved with you helps get everything into perspective which helps you deal with it.

Angie - thanks for your good wishes – sorry to hear your arm is sore, good that you are seeing the Onc so they can advise you what to do. I also had a few days of painful gums.

Mary – thanks for your thoughts. Good luck for weds hope it goes ok.

Sorry if I have missed anyone else who is having treatment this week and sending good wishes to those that are, hoping SEs are minimal this time round.

Quick question; has anyone else noticed that their heart rate has increased? We bought a blood pressure monitor for hubby and since I started chemo my blood pressure is getting lower and my heart rate is getting higher. I did mention it up the clinic today but I am not due for another muga scan for a while. I wondered if it was due to low red blood cells and low oxygen uptake meaning the heart has to pump quicker to get the oxygen round.

Wolsty – you have made me hungry!

On that note I am going to feed the dog and get our tea ready before any nausea kicks in. xx

Joan - my guide book says ring the clinic or the out of hours number if you have temp of 37.5 over two separate readings or if you feel shivery and hot and cold with a normal temperature. I have had the odd reading of below 36 but have never quite made the 37.5. I would ring the onc clinic to check if I were you x

Patchit

Ladies

Does anyone know if a low temperature is anything to worry about? Mine is 35.9 and I am shivery and cant get warm. I am off to the GP soon to get checked over.
Hope everyione else doing ok?

Joanx

Wolsty

Just eaten 3. Delicious. And chucked out a bag of clothes. Now back in bed!!

Bettie

Hi, hope you're all having a good day and those having chemo minimal se's.

Does anyone know where I can buy a buff from and what sort to buy. I think they're a good alternative to scarves and hats but not sure what type to buy.

Bettie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Can I put in an order for brownies....lol!

Twinky x

Wolsty

Hi all

Starting to feel a bit better after FEC 3 although still really tired. Am having a bit of a clear out of my wardrobe. Not sure that now is the right time to do it as everything I try on is too small. Won't have any clothes left st this rate!!

Hubby also bought me an iPad when I was diagnosed to cheer me up. It has been fantastic. Use it loads for watching things on BBC i player or 4oD. Like Twinky says though you definitely don't need the latest model.

Angie - I would definitely mention your arm. It sounds really painful. The physio helped ease mine a bit, I also put ibuprofen gel on and do some exercises. Wonder if it will be worth it or will end up with portacath anyway!

Last day of having my daughters at home. They both have friends over - lots of noise! One of them is making chocolate brownies - yum

Jane xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Twinky
Thanks for that info. I am not bothered if its not the latest model as long as I can carry it around with me. I will have a look online. Thanks again.
Mary x

Guest user
Not applicable

iPads.......for those that are wishing for one but reeling at the prices can I suggest looking for offers on the first & second versions. As no.3 release is looming the earlier versions still in stock tend to fall in price & bargains can be had from retailers clearing out stocks. Hubby & I treated ourselves to the first one & it's still absolutely fine although not as slimline & sexy as the later models. Great to use in bed for surfing & posting ( although intend to use my iPhone as hubby seems to hog the iPad).

Twinky x

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon everyone
Just been for coffee with some work colleagues, good to hear all the gossip from work!! Have to say I am not missing it at all!!
Gemcat- You are sounding much better, hope it continues for you.
Jayjay- Well done to your daughter, you must be so proud.
KQ- I am losing some hair this morning but am going to keep coldcap for next session and see from there. Sometimes its easier to make a decision if it falls out a lot, will have to see.
Georgie- Love to be a fly on the wall when computer guy arrives!!!
EBHippo- Pleased to hear you enjoyed sons wedding, not sure I could have bopped all night even without this BC so well done and great that you felt comfotable enough to take wig off later on.
Mollie43- any tips on how to persuade my OH to buy me an IPad, being wanting one for ages but doesnt appear to be taking the hint!!
Beryl- hope your hand continues to improve, probably a good thing that you have another week to go, more time to heal.
Patchit- good luck to your son for interview, hope he gets job.
Amylou- Enjoy Samuel when he gets home, am sure he has missed you loads.
Chascat- sorry to hear you are feeling so down, we all have those days and it is really difficult getting your head around everything. I hate it when people say be positive, damn it we all are but its still tough. hopefully you will get some help from the psychologist soon, big hug xx
Pargayan- good luck today for your session, thinking of you.
Angelherts- Poor arm, hope the oncologist is helpful today.
Well am off to drink more water in preparation for Weds.
Thinki8ng of everyone.
Mary xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

Pargayan - Good Luck for FEC3 today, if your bloods were OK ?

Wolsty - Sorry to hear FEC3 was tough and that you've more test results to wait for. Hopefully this will be a better week for you. I am also really suffering with my chemo arm since FEC2, to the point of restricting my lifestyle - even carrying my handbag on that arm is out of the question. So might have to see if I can get physio ?

Gemcat1701 - Sorry to hear you are having a tough time, and little ones to care for. Let's hope FEC3 goes ahead this week without any problems and then you've cleared that important half way mark!

chascat - dry eyes sounds awful and scary. I hope the eye drops start working soon. Sorry to hear you are feeling really low, I suffered with this BIG time on the 1st session - so much so that people were worried about leaving me alone. I now have my Psych assessment tomorrow !! However I am feeling completely different this time round and will feel a fraud tomorrow. So have faith that it will lift in time but have the sessions anyway as talking will help the process. Oh and most "normal" mums struggle to get kids back to school after hols on time, I used to drive with my coat over my Pjs so DON'T be so hard on yourself xxx 😉

poppyD - Shingles in the eye - how awful ! Hope you feel better really soon.

Kitcat - Great to hear about your PICC line. My chemo arm is terribly painful now so I am suspecting they will insist on the PICC for next one and I was being a wimp about the thought of more prodding and poking. Think I will be a brave girl now and get it done. Hope this session is proving to be easier and sickness / nausea is under control.

Carolyn1709 - Glad to hear No3 went Ok but sorry about the period. I still had mine with FEC1 and am feeling really snappy this week so suspect it's going to happen again this month. I thought they would stop ! I also want to decorate but don't have any handy men to help and am struggling to find the enthusiasm to do it myself ;-(

Ayjay40 - Congrats to your daughter ! It's fab when they win something. My son used to sing in music festivals and this is the first year he hasn't gone but am looking forward to next March when he will start again and clearing space in anticipation of another trophy 😉

EBHippo - So pleased you enjoyed your sons wedding. Must of been a wonderful and emotional day. Good Luck for Thurs and the half way point.

Mollie43 - What a lovely present from hubby ! My son has requested an Ipad for his 16th b'day this year and I agreed it was a good idea until I saw the prices yesterday !! Now what am I going to do?

Nothing to report here except that I am STILL suffering big time with my chemo arm. It even hurts to have my watch around my wrist. Seeing ONC on Monday so if still a problem I will discuss with him. I also suffer from painful gums but it's because my wisdom teeth are impacted (sp?) and the Chemo is aggrevating them. It causes earaches and blinding headaches but the other day I took Codeine and it went and hasn't come back ! So hoping that's it for this session.

Ordered a BUFF at last, went for the Pink Charity one as I adore pink. Can't wait for it to arrive and told them you ladies had recommended them and they emailed me back and said thank you for the feedback 😉

Wondering what's happening with HistoryGirl as not heard from her lately (and I've emailed her) - so if anyone knows something please message me.

Thanks
Angie xx