Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Megsmum

Nearly forgot - yes, the hats are really nice and comfortable. very pleased with mine and I know I will wear them. The Gemma is my favourite and very nice for the summer. The other one Bea will be good for both summer, autumn or even winter with the colour and the little bit of pink trimming round the edges. They do that one in several colour ways. The all look nice and of course when you register your details you get your VAT off by clicking on the having treatment box. No hassle, fast and efficient service.

Bye again.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

evening All

Someone, sorry I can't remember who, asked if it was OK if they took a friend for support at LGFB course. When I was at mine a lady came with her daughter. The organiser of the session kindly asked if any of us had any objections? Of course none of us had and the daughter was given a chair so she could be with her. She was made to feel part of the group and joined in with her mother to help her and I'm sure it helped the mother because she was very shy and unsure at first. Everyone had a great time. I'm sure your friend will be accepted as well. Enjoy!

Will be back again later.

Beryl XX

kt23

Hello ladies

Thank you for all the well wishes about ct scan and being half way through. I find it so overwhelming all your lovely messages. I'm so rubbish at keeping up to date with everything on here I read all the posts and by the time I come to write something back I forget who said what :s

So ladies one question anyone know anything about the T and it's side effects I read about it on Macmillan but first hand experience is always better than text book.

I'm loving everyone's pictures. I should update mine it was from my holiday last year. I will on some make up tomorrow or Friday and take a new up to date picture for everyone.

I done the look good feel better a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing so if any of you haven't done it yet please do it makes you feel amazing. And you get such a goodie bag, I looked up the cost of what was in my bag and it came to over £350 so very spoilt 🙂

Thinking of you all xxxxxx

raechi

Hi beryl,
Your brain is working just fine it was me re the emend. It's a definite no. I did ak again. So I went to the GP and she gave me extra ondansetron and metachlorpormide.
I ended up seeing a different GP as my one was booked up. Turned out she is a breast cancer survivor, and was so understanding.
She said any time I need to vent I can go and see her.

Caren , thank you for your kind words. I am still itching away here. I wonder if it's due to my skin being too dry. Or my eyelashes are on their way out and one of my eyelids is driving me bonkers.

Sorry you didn't get your juicing poppy, hope your bloods are on the way up.

And woo how megsmums , half way through. YAY...

Now to cook some dinner. I have my appetite back!

Rae
X

Care_N

hi Ladies,

Well what a miserable day - I hope it improves tomorrow, as I'm going away for a few days, just to Suffolk, but it will be nice to have a change of scenery, even if it from under an umbrella!

Megsmum congratulation on being half way! It's a good feeling isn't it. Hope you don't get suffer with any se's.

Raechi, you look fabulous in your photo - if I looked like that I really wouldn't worry about wigs or scarves, and that's without makeup! I've got quite a few itchy spots on my stomach - have you got spots or just itchy? I'm trying not to scrath them as they get really sore, don't know whats caused them.

Beryl, pleased to hear you're not suffering yet, hope it continues.

Poppy sorry you have to wait another week, I know I would be gutted, even though you know it's for your benefit. Hope you can arrange something really nice to do.

My unit doesn't provide any food or drinks, apart from the occasional cup of tea if there's a volunteer on. I really don't feel like eating while I'm there, but some people take food with them, and it's not really a problem. I suppose with budget cuts its something they can cut out quite easily.

Dulcie, how are you? Hope everything is ok.

Wintersocks, hope you're feeling better and are home, or will be soon.

Kojak, congratulations half way through! Hope you got on ok on your own - I usually go on my own, I prefer it. My daughter's coming next time though as it'll be TAX and I've read somewhere that you shouldn't drive straight afterwards.

Carolyn, me and OH had the same experience as your son a few months ago, and were stranded in the middle of nowhere on a train (poor train driver sounded completely traumatised), but we phoned daughter and she came to pick us up in the middle of the night - so it does get better!! Hope you enjoy your make-up session tomorrow.

Franoli, it sounds like you had a lovely time with your daughter. I also get back aches after the injections, but they're not too bad, and disappear if I bother taking paracetomol.

Joan, hope you're ok and eveything is going well with your son?

Best wishes to everyone, I won't be posting but I'm sure I will be reading posts on my phone, I'm addicted!

Love and hugs to all
Caren
xxx

megsmum

Oh Poppy sorry must have cross posted.
Sorry you didn,t get your juice but better safe than sorry, I was really worried but bloods had gone back to almost normal aparently i was more septic than neutropenic. I have been on the nuelista jab since the start only one 24hrs post chemo it does give you bone pains so dont panic when you feel sore.

I agree about the food issues at some units, we have drinks and sandwiches, crisps etc on tap, the health care even asked if anyone wanted bacon sarnies from the canteen (for a small fee) there were quite a few takers.

Keep strong x

megsmum

Hi everyone well thats it Fec no3. done thank goodness half way through although not looking forward to Taxol. I was really worried he wouldn,t go ahead due to my admission with sepsis but bloods had recovered 🙂

Sox i hope you are ok i had ivab for 48hrs then changed to oral and the only side effect was oral thrush (again) and tiredness.

Poppy how did you get on ?

Beryl i,m thinking of getting a couple of those hats are they as nice as they look.

Hope everyone else is ok I,m off for a nanna nap as i didnt sleep much last night

Keep strong xx

poppyD

Hi

Dissapointed didnt get my chemo today oncologist postponed till next week felt that it was too soon after such poor bloods last week he says if bloods okay next wed will go ahead and will prescribe neulasta

Peanut I am glad to hear you challenged the lack of food patient nutrition should be a priority

nice to hear from you again chascat, thinking of you

hope chemo went well for you all today,

megsmum did you get yours

love pops x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All

Still pouring with with rain here - glug, glug!

Raechi - No harm in trying and yes I had a nice chat with friend. She had a couple of cups of coffee and I'm drinking yet more water. She has just dashed out to car through the rain and off on holiday to Devon tomorrow. Let's hope the weather improves.

There's no harm in trying for some freebies - go for it. Your picture looks great - well done you. The only itching I've had was on the back of my hand from the vein irritation which has now gone. Had a little bit on my face and lower neck area yesterday after reaction but the antihistame that put through the drip took that away last night. Got my steroid/chemo flush but that should pass by tomorrow, hopefully. Hope you managed to get through your day at work OK.

Mary - I had a spell of not feeling right but my temp didn't go up and it passed and I was fine the next day. I had Estee Lauder Sensous which I gave to Helena because it was a little to heavy for my sensitive nose. She likes all sorts of perfumes and I know she will like and use it. Your on day 8 so everything to look forward to going into your third week. Chin up and best foot forward, as they say. Do you know how long you will have to wait for your heart scan? Did they say which of the FEC drugs does this. I'm having the 'C' part (cyclophosphamide). Checked the poss s/e's of this and it does say that it is very rare with standard doses but may occasionally occur with high dose treatment. The muscle of the heart may be affected; temporarily. Tests to see how well your heart is working may be carried out before the drug is given; sometimes before each treatment (abstract taken from leaflet about drug). The leaflet for Tax doesn't say anything about about poss heart problems. Not that you are on that yet but your will probably being going on that next. Hope you are having a better day today. John worked out for me how many tablets I have to take each day for the first 2 1/2 days and there are 20. Some drop off tomorrow but then I start the injections and Diclofenic so it doesn't change much. We'll all be rattling by the time we have finished. I gave them my Domperidone tablets back yesterday because I already have enough to see me through to the end of my last session in May. Well, at least that saved the NHS a little bit of money. The cost of all these drugs must be huge. Like most of us it is very rare that we have to ask for a prescription on the NHS so I guess our time is now and I don't feel guilty about the costs involved. That's why I don't see why Raechi got turned down about Emend, hope you are pursuing that one with your Onch Raechi? Hope my chemo brain hasn't got that one wrong and it was Raechi?

Off I go again and hope everyone is doing OK.

Get back to you again later.

Beryl XX

raechi

I liked my 'Gemma' too Beryl.

i am going to a workshop in cambridge soon and nicky from suburban turban will be there - i wonder if i can blag some freebies 🙂

Enjoy your time with your friend.

Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry, forgot to mention that my two hats from Suburbanturban arrived today and I'm very pleased with them. Hubby likes them as well and I know he would be honest with me. I ordered the Gemma and Bea Beautiful (my knickname is Bea) so I thought that one quite appropriate.

Bye again.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Just a quick one because my friend is coming to see me in a minute. It's puring down outside and very windy, but by the sound of things it's like this everywhere. We need the rain so we have to put up with it for the present.

Bone aches - I have to have 8 injections starting tomorrow and I get them. They prescribed me Diclofenic and they work wonders, no more bone aches, so if you are suffering ask for some because they certainly do the trick. One thing through when you take them you are NOT allowed to take anything for heartburn/indegestion medication until you have finished etc. I just suck Polo's instead and they do the trick. Not getting bad heartburn or indegestion so don't know what you would take insteat to remedy that.

Hope all OK and not suffering too much. All OK so far this end. No doubt tomorrow or next day the fatigue will start to kick in.

Take care all and I will be back later on.

Beryl XX

raechi

well lovely marchies,
are you enjoying this gorgeous april weather?
I have now put a baldy picture of me on (no hair or make up)... excuse the serious face. I was taking my picture in a mirror and thats me concentrating 🙂

Been to the GP today as i can stop itching - has anyone else had that?

WS - hope you feel better soon. This infection thing is a scary business...

Dulcie - hope things are better with you. I meant what i said re: the DIL. I will give her a piece of my mind!

carolyn - well done on the no wig and make up - i am sure you looked absolutely fine!

Beryl - glad you are on the mend. This chemo does funny thigns to us.

Franoli - i'm with you re: the commando thing. I care less and less now. I think vanity has gone out the window now. Its not that i dont care about my appearance (i do wash 🙂 ) - but i think i am less bothered by hair, make up etc... this is me.. As someone said to me - if your hair comes out and you fee sick, least in some perverse way it means the chemo is working.. guess they are right...

RE: back ache. The injection you need to give re: white cells can cause that. I get terrible aches at the base of my skull and i was told the same thing. Might be worth mentioning - but i got told it was a side effect..

Mary - hope you are resting. I think FEC can make you feel a bit odd. I feel quite faint and spaced out in it.
I was also told that some of the anti sickness drugs can induce some kind of vertigo and to keep an eye on it.

Need to dash as i am working today, so hello to anyone i have missed. Big hugs to all.

Good luck to anyone having treatment this week.

Now lets have some sunshine please 🙂

Rae
x

chascat

Meant to say, in terms of food, my first two sessions have been at lunchtime and i've been offered a sandwich and a cup of tea which the nursing staff dealt with, my next one is at 9 o'clock so don't expect i'll have anything, cup of tea if i'm lucky. I think if there are no volunteers to help it's very difficult for the nursing staff to keep on top refreshments, mine is a very small hospital and chemo until, only about 10 chairs/beds so no extra facilities or volunteers i'm afraid.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Well had oncologist appt yesterday and told him felt a little breathless for a couple of days so now got to have another heart scan as one of the FEC drugs can have effect on heart!! Dont know whats the matter with me, having little funny turns, feeling faint and sickly sometimes shivery, no temp though, spoke to chemo nurse and told to rest!!! Thats all im doing!! Keep taking temp! Just dont feel right! Does anyone know what I mean?
Lydia- I got a Sarah Jessica Parker perfume 100ml size which is lovely. I aloso was thrilled with bag of goodies. Sorry to hear you are feeling low,nothing you can say apart from its a means to an end!! Not the best phrase to use sorry but know what you feel, my mood only begining to lift today (Day 😎 so am hoping for some good days.
WS- hope you ok? Are you still in hospital? Thinking of you xx
Carolyn- Great to hear you are on a good week, it just means you have to push everything in to a smaller time scale doesnt it?
Poppy- I had to make a bit of a fuss when I went for chemo as food not offered to me first time, wrote letter to service manager and 2nd time got offered soup and a sandwich. There are some volunteer ladies in the main waiting room who will make teas and coffees but they dont come through to the day unit, so its not good. Its a project for when I am well to see if we can make changes there.
Kojak- great to hear you are managing to keep your hair. I think the Paxman appears to be the better option, the one I used they had to change every 30mins. When I used 2nd time hair fell out big time day after, more distressing so had it all off. good luck though, do hope it works for you.
Franoli- If its the Nuelasta injection you are having then that causes aches and pains as its repairing the bone marrow. I am the same as you need to eat little but often.
Beryl- good to hear you have minimal ses at the moment, hope it continues.
Best wishes to everyone else i have not mentioned,thinking of everyone
Mary xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning ladies. What a horrible wet day it is here in London.

Wintersocks - I really feel for you being in hospital and hope they soon have your infection under control and have you back home again. Your name is so apt at the moment - it's freezing here!

KT23 - great news to hear about your CT scan being clear. What a relief.

Really looking forward to the LGFB session I've got booked in early May. It sounds fab and just the sort of thing to give anyone a boost.

I'm surprised to hear hospitals don't all offer food. At Charing Cross they are very good and there are always sandwiches, biscuits, fruit and drinks available for patients and anyone sitting with them during chemo. There is a lovely volunteer lady who comes round and makes tea for everyone. It should be a standard option. I find if I don't eat regularly I start to feel really unwell so small and often seems to work for me.

Like some of you, I have gone commando with no hat or scarf. To be honest, I really don't care what people think. I don't think it looks too bad and if losing my hair is going to help save my life (in a roundabout way) then that's fine. I thought I would miss it more but I don't. It's just a different me and if anyone makes a comment, I suspect I might just tell them what they can do with it (unless it's a weepy day in which case I'll just crumple in a heap!)

I've been luck to spend a lot of time with my daughter over the last few weeks (she lives at the other end of the country) so we've been going through old family history and talking endlessly about stuff which has been brilliant. She's back off home tomorrow as she can't leave her business for too long but I'll really miss her creeping into bed with me in the morning for a chat over a cup of tea.

Since FEC2 I've had a lot of back ache. I did have to give myself an injection of some sort the day after to raise my white cell count. Could this be linked?

Hope everyone who is having treatment today gets on well with minimum side effects. Sorry not to have been as brilliant as many of you and responded to all your comments but I love being able to come and see how everyone is getting on.

Keep warm and dry!

chascat

Morning ladies

Not posted for a few days as have felt very low and very anxious but starting to feel a bit better now, have managed to have a little bit of sleep too so that has helped too. Quite a few posts to read through so I’ll do my best!

Socks – sorry to hear your unwell 39.5 is a high temperature and scary that it came on so quickly, hope you’re home in front of your lovely fire soon x

Poppy – same for you, hope you’re feeling on the mend now x

Beryl – oh dear, that doesn’t sound good and must have been frightening, glad they got you sorted quickly.

Kojak – sorry that you have to go for your treatment alone. It’s understandable feeling anxious about it; even though we know the routine I’d still feel the same.

Dulcie – horrified about the way your OH’s daughter spoke to you, she was bang out of order. I hope things have calmed down for you now.

Angie – what a great post. I think your oncologist is spot on, we do tend to have a twisted view on things as the people we’re interacting with are those with first time BC or recurrences, we don’t hear from those ladies 10, 15, 20, 30 years on who are just getting on with there lives. Also you’re right about treatment moving on so quickly, the latest research announced last week that split BC into a further 10 groups is no help to us no, but should it come back in a few years time will be available for us then. Your prognosis with and without chemo makes a huge difference, makes going through this treatment so worthwhile. I wasn’t given this info by my oncologist as she said a lot of patients don’t like knowing, I know I’m in that camp as would only focus on the negative but there is still a part of me that wants to hear the positive side of it, but she did say my prognosis was “quite good”.

Jayjay and Bettie – well done on going commando, you both look fab - you’re much braver than me!

Jamesy – I have had really bad heartburn since I started chemo, my GP prescribed Lanzoprazole which has helped enormously

Mollie – sorry you’re feeling low, it’s inevitable you can’t face the thought of carrying on but you will, we all feel like that and you’re certainly not on your own.

Franoli – My goodness, you’ve had a horrendous time, so sorry you had such a bad experience.

Vivibell – Welcome to the thread, although sorry you had to join us. Like you I’m also having 6 x FEC (FEC75), 2 down and have number 3 next Wednesday, but opted not to have the cold cap. I’ve been prescribed Emend which has stopped me being sick but hasn’t stopped the nausea, although don’t think it’s supposed to stop that, I was also given Corsodyl by the hospital so don’t buy any just in case, I think most trusts do supply it. LGFB is just fab, I went to one yesterday and had a lovely time and a great goody bag.

KQ – I think it’s only homemade mayonnaise you can’t have, the shop bought stuff is fine.

KT23 – Glad you’re ok and fab news about your scan.

Carolyn – I’m totally with you, my son is 22 and it just doesn’t get any better does it!

Well I went to my LGFB workshop yesterday and it was just fab, the ladies who run it were lovely and so helpful and informative, had tea and biscuits too, was lovely to be with other ladies who are going through it or have gone through it and we had a giggle. The goody bag is just fabulous; don’t know what you had Mary but I had a huge bottle of Estee Lauder perfume which alone retails at £94! The rest of the bag easily came to £150 and probably more and all of it in a lovely bag, get yourself booked on one if you can. Also met Twinky for lunch on Monday, was so nice to put a face to a name, hope to do it again soon and maybe some more Midlands ladies if possible.

Take care

Love to all

Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies

Now enough of this rain, I need sunshine, took OH to work thus morning and it feels like Autum not Spring.

I'm feeling ok now, ready for no 4 next week so going to make the most of good week and get some jobs done. Although ended up picking up my son from station last night when a distress call came through, I'm sure lots of you know what I mean the ones that go along the lines "hi mum, are you ok?? are you busy only I'm stranded at the station as someone has jumped in front of the train and wondered mumsy( that's when I know he's asking for something when he calls me mumsy) if you could possibly pick me up. Luckily only 20 minutes away but still an hour by the time got there, waited and then dropped him home then back to mine. Kids don't you hope at 22 they'll start getting a little more independent. Bless.

Waiting at for a carpet man to come and measure living room and was bold this morning though sod it can't be bothered to out wig on so going to greet him in hat, and havnt got a scrap of make up on so that'll brighten up his Wednesday morning!

Glad ton hear you're feeling better after your scary experience Beryl, just goes to show how things change quickly.

Like you Caren I'm hoping to go back to work at the start of July, it definitely gives you something to work towards, going in to see my Head on Monday afternoon to discuss things.

Welcome Vivibell you are obviously mire than welcome to stay with us here or have a look at the April chemo thread. Really once you start it's not as bad as your imagination let's you believe. The se are controllable with medication.

Angelherts sounds like you were given loads of information and they are very helpful at Mount Vernin, that's where I'll end up for rads.

Sending love to Angelherts, Poppy, Bettie and Kojak for today, hope ivevgitvthat right and sorry uf forgotten anyone else being done today.

Great news about the CT scan KT, hope you're feeling ok today after juicing yesterday.

Hugs to you Socks, and hoping you're feeling better today.

Love to all whether you're being treated today, or recovering from se.

Carolyn xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies
Wintersocks- Hope the antibiotics have started to kick in and you can get home soon. Hope you didn't have to wait the full 4 hours for the ambulance. Had you started to feel unwell or do you just check temp as part of routine?
It does seem amazing how quickly ourr boies can become poorly.
KQ- glad you were enjoyed you tea.
Kojak- hope chemo goes ok. glad eye has cleared up. I' sure you will be well looked after when you get there.
Beryl- glad you had an ok night hope the SE's will remain minimal, definitely not the weather here for venturing far today.
KT23- hope you are doing ok afte yesterday.
Dulcie- hope you are ok to, hope all quiet on OH's daughter.
Good lucj to all having chemo today.
Jane
XX

poppyD

MORNING

Good luck to everyone who is having chemo today

That experience must have been awful Beryl hope it hasnt made you too anxious about next session

Nurses always get the crash trolley if patients unwell so they have everything to hand so dont panic if they get the trolley

care n glad you can see a light at the end of the tunnel it gives you focus when you feel you are gonna get back to work

I am horrified to hear some of you arent offered adequate food and drinks think you should raise it with trust. I am so glad am medically insured as dont want to sound annoying but food good and had assumed that feeding patients was standard especially when they are nauseas It is actually the small things which improve the overall experience such as being able to park not the fancy surroundings after all the treatment is the same.

get better sooon socks i was in for 4 days last week with low neuts
try and rest if you can although being woken for IVABS doesnt let you rest.

thinking of you all

love pops x

Kittyqueen

Morning All,

Firstly..thank you for all the answers about coleslaw..........mmmm I really enjoyed it xxx

BerylS...Sorry you had bad time yesterday but pleased you're better now xxxxx

Kojak...I think it's only natural to be anxious..I was the same for my second and like Agnelherts says, we get a week of feeling good and don't want to feel sickly again. Hope all goes ok today xx

KT23...Phew pleased to hear your arm is ok xxx

Socks...Awe bless you. hope you're soon home in front of the fire xxx

I agree with the sugary cravings too...before I could open a box of chocs, have one and leave for months, now I can scoff the lot.

Is anyone having weird dreams? I've dreamt a whole episode of Emmerdale and last night did a whole murder scene which strangely enough involved lots of needles..wonder why that was !!!!!!!!!!

Hugs to all going for treats today.

Love KQ

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies,
Early posting for me this morning - I have my 3rd FEC in a couple of hours and have to go on my own this time as my MIL is sick so my husband has to stay home with my daughter. Don't know why I'm getting so stressed about it, I keep telling myself I know the routine and the nurses will be about every 15mins anyway - just hate the idea of doing it on my own.

On the other hand i should be pleased that eye infection was all cleared up in time and WBC was good enough to go ahead - number 3 0 half way!

Beryl - What an awful experience for you fainting like that, good job the lady next to you and the nurses were all on the ball. Very nice that they looked after you like that too, not sure you'd get treated like that everywhere.

Caren - I'm with you on the constant eating! Somehow I've only put on 4 pounds so far, dont know how with the amount I've been eating. And I keep craving sugary things, i went out and bought an iced fruit cake after FEC2 because i just had to have it!

Vivibell - You're welcome to join us Marchies. I'm also having 6 x FEC and it's been very do-able so far. I am using the Paxman cold cap and I still have all my hair so I'd say definately give it a go. There are several types of cold cap and some seem to be more effective than others but I'd go for it whatever, you never know it might just work! I would see if you can get EMEND anti-sick tablets prescribed, they really are a blessing and buy some Corsodyl ready for a bit of a sore mouth and E45 cream for dry skin. Good luck with your pre-assessment Monday x

KT23 - Congratulations on your scan results, what a relief to know it's just in the one place. Glad to hear your arm is ok too - and you're past the half way mark now 🙂

Wintersocks - You really are having a rough time of it, you must be bored stiff still being stuck in hospital but at least you're got us! Hope you're feeling better soon xx

Must go, got to have a shower and get myself ready 😕
Jules

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies

Well got throughthe night OK and so far this moring I'm feeling fine. I did wake up at about 3.00am for the loo and decided to play Scrabble and listen to some music on my Ipod. Went back to sleep at 4.00 and then dozed until 600. Hubby then told me it was time for my first lot of anti-sick. After those I have my breakfast and came on to catch up on latest messages.

Sox - So glad they are getting you sorted out and hopefully you will be back on here soon with the latest and we hope it's you letting us know that you are home. Big hug and wishing you a speedy recovering.

Dulcie - How are you doing. You should be picking up and starting to feel like you've got more energy. Hope that's the case. Please give us an update asap. Thingking of you.

KT23 - Like the new picture. Hope all is well.

Parsnip - Glad you enjoyed your LGFB course, but I knew you would because it is so well worth doing. Apart from the lovely products they give you it's nice to meet other ladies going through treatment and can relate to everything. The volunteers are all wonderful and make you feel so at ease. You're right the 2 hours flies by and you come away feeling pampered, or you should do.

Mary - Hope you had a good night sleep after your visit to Hospital Onch appointment yesterday. Will catch up with you all again later.

Love and best wishes.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Bless you Sox ..be home soon love..back to your lad and your crackling fire...we are all there for you with positive thoughts...hold my hand tight....and get home soon xxxx
Lots of love
Dulcie xxxx

wintersocks

post sent from phone don't. is a bit crazy but hope u get the jist .

wintersocks

hello all.Just a quick one. i am in Huddersfield hospital still . on Iv antibiotic s have unknown infection and low wc injection. i want to b out so bad but need normal temp for at least 24hrs. The temp came on v quickly. so please ladies do make sure you check. have had injection in tummy to prevent clots too was horrid . love to all will catch when home antibiotic. WS.

Parsnip

Evenings ladies,
Back from my lgfb session is afternoon, what a fantastic two hours and great goody bag 🙂 they give you a bag according to skin tone (light, medium, dark) but even e bags with same tone contain slightly different products so probably not worth listing. However the products are from Clinique, Clarins, Lancôme, l'oreal, body's hop, bare minerals, no. 7, bodyshop, simple, maybelline and probably others I can't remember. You get everything to follow the 12 step programme (I giggled at that) to a cleansed, prepared and made up face, and a little more (including perfume and a colour correcting primer). Was a lovely relaxed session and the first time I have been comfortable enough to whip my hat off in public which felt good. The two hours went so fast. So if you haven't already it's worthwhile booking on one if you can, even if it's after your chemo has finished. And apparently it's around £250 worth of products in the bag, I'm staggered anyone would spend that much on cleansing and making up their face, it's definitely far more than I own!
Am now struggling to get my boy to go to sleep after he fell asleep on the way home after I picked him up from my friend who was looking after him for the afternoon, at this rate I'll be asleep before him!
Good to hear from kt23, glad everything is ok. Glad you got back fine after that bit of drama at chemo Beryl, not what you need but good job everyone was quick to react, hope you get a good sleep after that.
Oh on the coleslaw issue, if it's anything like pregnancy it's only an issue if made with homemade mayonnaise (raw eggs) shop bought stuff is usually made with mayonnaise that has been pasteurised so eggs no problem, likewise with mayo obviously.
Best wishes to everyone else I haven't mentioned (can't scroll back that far and brain not keeping up tonight, sorry)
Hope everyone has a good night
Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

KT23 - Good news all round and happy that you got your last FEC out of the way and on to next regime soon. Tax is OK, so don't get too worried about it. Glad you have come on to give us an update because we were getting concerned about you.

Best wishes

Beryl XX

O'm taking my last lot of tabs for the day and off to bed. Night, night everyone.

Guest user
Not applicable

KT23- so glad that your arm ok and that you got chemo today. Great news that you scan showed cancer had not spread. We are both halfway through now , next is TAX for both of us. Love the pic.
Dulcie - you are quiet today hope you are ok.
Jane

kt23

Hi gabbylamb, I have just been reading back the posts I am so sorry I didn't come on sooner, thank you for caring 🙂

Yep good news all round. Been reading up on the Docetaxel side effects 😕 hope that it all goes as smoothly as the last three sessions. Xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

phew KT!! was worrieed!!!! good news all round eh? Well done you

kt23

Oh also got my ct scan results back today and the cancer didn't spread anywhere else 🙂 x

kt23

Hello my lovely ladies 🙂

I am so sorry to keep you all waiting on my arm update lol, they said that's it was just the vain where the chemo was given was as they put it over worked, but to go back if it swells up or gets a rash. I had my third lot of FEC today so I am now at the half way mark 🙂 woooooooooooo! Feeling very happy knowing it's only 3left.

Again I would like to appologise for not keeping up to date with how you are all doing.

Love hugs and kisses to you all

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Mary - Our posts crossed. I will be home tomorrow and don't intend moving far from the house for rest of week. If you call and I'm not in then we have a a/machine and I can call back. Thanks for thinking of me.

Best wishes

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening again ladies

Well, here I am after having my tea/dinner and feeling OK but a bit tired after an eventful day.

Mollie - Bronchitis is just what you don't need. You are having such a rough time of it, so make sure you get plenty of rest when you can, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. Big hug and I/we are thinking about you.

Marie - Glad that the injection they gave you is working. Constipation YUK, squiffy tummy YUK which means you just can't win either way. Thank goodness for remedies that's all I can say. I'm OK now after reation but just a little light headed and tired, so probably won't be late to bed tonight, I wish.

Jayjay - Tax has been OK until I had my first reaction today. As far as s/e's go they haven't been too bad at all. They are giving me two lots of anti-sick meds Ondestron (spl?) and Domperidone. I take the two together for two days and then the Domperidone on it's own as and when required. I continue to take them for quite a few days just to make certain. I have to give myself injections for WBC everyday for eight days from day three. I did get bone aches from these so they prescribed me Diclofenic (anti-inflamatory), through my Doctor which cured the aches etc. When I get a sore mouth I suck frozen ice pops and so far, touch wood, I've not any mouth ulcers or problem with my tongue/throat. Hope I haven't put the mockers on anything saying that. Of course there is the obligatory tiredness from late day three through to probably day six/seven then slowly build up again to the glorious third week.

Jamesy - Glad you got sorted out at the Doctors and you will soon be on the mend and feeling much better.

Socks - Thinking of you and hope you are OK and will soon be back home if you aren't already. No doubt we will be hearing your news soon.

KQ - My weight has stayed the same this is mainly due to not having much of an appetite in the earlier days and then just going back to something like near normal late second to third. Lack of exercise isn't helping me much because all I get to manage is an occasional walk along the sea front or round the town. You must go to LGFB session they are so popular and it is a real boost, together with that, you will meet other inspiring people.

Vivibell - Welcome to our March Ladies. I did cold cap but gave it up after session two. Still have hair but it will probably go now but I'm OK with that because I'm used to new look now. Just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. I know a lady that did and apart from her hair thinning she was OK. Please keep joining in if you feel you want to. It;s nice to hear from everyone.

Angelherts - You are having quite a time with your veins and I'm glad that they have given you a PIC and that you are home safe and well. Considering you have had no WBC injections since your reaction then you have done really well. Thanks for additional information which I found very interesting. You are all set for tomorrows treatment and I wish you well for that and will be thinking of you and all the other ladies going for treatment tomorrow.

Bettie - Loved the sound of your outfit. Generally it is accepted for men to go around with little or now hair but you rarely see a lady without much or no hair. If you feel OK about it then go for it girl. I'm not there yet but only have probably about 1/4 to 1/2 inch hair over my head because hairdresser took me down to no.1 at my request. She wasn't happy about it but I thought if it's going to go then might as well take it down as much as I could. She refused to give me a no.0. It will probably all go now after stopping cold cap but what the heck, hair is the least of our worries and it will grow back, which will be interesting to say the least.

Care N - Yes, they are a small and very caring unit and do everything they can to make us comfortable, fed and watered. It's a MacMillan Cancer Care Unit so don't know if that makes a difference. I'm OK now but was a bit of a shock because I was on third session and it was so unexpected. It passed quite quickly once they put the extra meds into me. Just glad it didn't happen on my first because I would have been very worried. I'm not surprised that you cried when the Doctor asked you that. What did she think you were going to say, no it's great and be all smiles. At least you've got a date to work towards and returning to work. You take care.

#gabby - Nice we share the same birthday. We will probably go out during third week somethime. My final session is the same day as your LGFB course which is 15 May and I know you will enjoy it.

Mary - Hope your Onch appointment went well and you are back home resting. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dulcie, KT23, Sock and any other ladies we haven't heard from in a while I/we do hope you are OK and you can update us as soon as you can to put our minds at rest.

Take care all and hope you get good night rests and no s/e's.

Love and best wishes.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Beryl what a to do! Hope you are ok, good that they were on the ball and sorted you out. Hopefully you dont have any further problems tonight and get a good nights sleep. Let me know a good time to ring you over next few days.
Thinking of you
Mary xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Back from PICC line fitting. Wasn't as bad as I had been imagining, although they had to have 2 attempts because the first time it just wouldn't go in and started to curl.

Anyway, home safe and sound and ready for tomorrow NO 3 - yuck. Hate the thought of being sickly and tired again.

Beryl - sorry to hear you had a reaction but glad they dealt with it so quickly. I saw a lady have a reaction at my last session and they were calling out "get the crash trolley" - but I asked my Onc about it yesterday and they remember the lady and it turned out she had only fainted. So it's nice to know that they react immediately to any problems.

I'm at Mount Vernon in Herts but we don't get given any food / drinks.

I didn't know Coleslaw was an issue and have been eating LOADS of it - in fact it's one of the foods that I constantly fancy at the moment. So far it hasn't caused me any issues.

Off to eat now as was too anxious to eat earlier. Angie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

My birthday is 4th May too Beryl, and I get 3rd chemo the day before 😞 so an 'un birthday' might be a good idea!! When are you thinking of having yours? Im sorry to hear about your reaction to the TAX, scarey stuff, but seems that your unit did a grand job and looked after you very well. Lets hope this was a blip and all will be well now.

Jamesy - nasty about your sore throat - but caught early is good 🙂 How fast these things can take hold.
I have had a sore patch under my boob since easter, fungal infection, and now starting second lot of antibiotics to shift something that in normal life would have been gone within 2 days!

You strong ladies considering going bareheaded, I am determined to join you when the weather is warmer. Bald is me now, and maybe I can set a new trend!

I have my LGFB session booked for 15th May, and am really looking forward to it. Does anyone know if you are allowed to take a friend along for support?

Angelherts thanks so much for your post, very very useful and informative.

Still no news from KT23 😞 hope WS and Dulcie are ok?

KQ from all I have read, losing weight doesnt happen and more ladies put on weight with this, I would love to lose a few pounds, that would be a good SE!!

Care_N

Hi everyone,

It's been busy here, since I posted yesterday we have another 5 pages!

Carolyn, Bettie and Joan, I do agree, I'm almost always commando at bome, unless its really cold, and don’t worry now about answering the door without a scarf on, but I still haven't been brave enough to go out bare-headed. I was going to a few weeks ago, but my husband said he thought I would be embarrassed – which I’m sure meant that he would be embarrassed, so I put my hat on!

Beryl your unit sounds lovely, I’m very envious of the food and drinks, we’re lucky to get a cup of tea at Lister. I hope you don’t suffer from any se’s following your third. It must have been a bit of a shock that it didn’t go as straightforward as usual, but sounds like you coped really well.

KQ and Peanut, I don’t know how you’ve managed to lose weight, despite feeling nauseous and a really sore mouth I’ve managed to eat practically non-stop, I blame the steroids, but actually think I'm just greedy. I found some fabulous stem ginger icecream in Waitrose this morning...

KQ, I eat coleslaw, the only things I remember being told I can’t eat are rice from takeaway restaurants, or that hasn’t been freshly cooked, soft cheeses and live yoghurt. Is there anything else we shouldn’t eat? (Don't tell me if it's icecream!)

Mollie, sorry you’ve been so unwell, I hope you’re feeling better. It’s got to be easier next time.

Angelherts your post is really interesting. Where are you being treated? I have Onc envy! I hope the picc line fitting went well, and good luck with your third dose tomorrow.

Wintersocks, you poor thing, it must have been awful to feel unwell in the middle of the night and have to wait so long for an ambulance. I hope you are ok now and back home?

Good luck for Thursday Jayjay, I feel exactly the same, it’s my 4th next Wednesday, 1st TAX, and it’s great to count them off, but I’m dreading it already.

Jamesy, glad you went and hope you start feeling better soon.

Dulcie, hope you’re ok?

Poppy, I miss work too, but we’ll be back soon. Hope everything goes well tomorrow, and to you Bettie and anyone else having another dose.

I went to see the doctor today, for the first time since before I was diagnosed. I saw a doctor I hadn’t seen before (I very rarely go, prior to this I used to be the healthiest person I knew) and the first thing she asked me was how I was finding chemo – at which I just started crying! What a prat! You must all think I spend my life crying but I really don’t, just occasionally stupid little things set me off. Anyway I got everything I wanted and she agreed with me that I should be ready to return to work at the beginning of July, although I will have to have radiotherapy after that. It feels good to have a date for the return to some sort of normality – although I am worried about returning to work with no hair, and possibly no eyebrows and eyelashes (my eyebrows are definitely thinning), not to mention no brain!

Sorry for another long post, hope everyone is feeling well, and good luck for all having treatments, or suffering se’s.

Love and hugs to all
Caren
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies
Beryl- well that was an unexpected surprise at your chemo session, glad that htey got you sorted quickly. Hope you are doing ok now you are home.
Jamesy- glad you got sorted with antibiotics at GP,it's best not to take any chances whilst on chemo, hope they kick in soon.
KQ- I have had coleslaw a few times since having chemo, and not had any probs, I think they just highlight it as it contains egg. Enjoy your tea.
Angelherts- hope all goes well with the picc today. Liked the post on tne info on Tax, as that will be my next treat, as had FEC3 yesterday. I like you was sick after FEC 2, so this time before I left the unit the gave me an injection of Nozinan for sickness, lasts up to 12 hours, so covered me until I could take normal sickness meds. Have had no nausea or sickness so far. Good luck for tomorrow.
Bettie- good for you being a bright colourful lady. Good luck with chemo tomorrow.
Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

well, back from docs and sore throat is a throat infection, so more antibiotics! she said it was quite mild so caught in time, so thank you to those who advised me to go this morning! x

Bettie

Patchit

I know hoe you feel about going commando and worrying about other people. I'm ok with it and like you would go into work without a scarf but think some people wouldn't be ok with it. My hubby can't understand why I would want to go around bareheaded when I have such nice scarves. I don't know why he feels like that maybe he just finds the whole thing difficult to deal with.

Been to hosp for bloods today for tms chemo and wore a nice pink buff and coordinated with red jeans, pink top and purple accessories (ladies get your sunglasses out). I felt a bit like Barbara Cartland but hey it made me feel better.

Hope you're all enjoying the sun, says I as its just gone in.

Best wishes

Bettie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon everyone

Well, I'm back after my third T&C and I'm OK. Did have a bit of a blip just after Tax went in and suffered a reaction which took me by surprise becasue I was perfectly fine for the other two. The lady next to me noticed straight away because my face went like a beetroot and I started sliding down my seat. She called out for help and they were on me in a flash. Stopped the drip, zapped me with some more steriods and antihistamine. Called the doctor who gave me a check over, phew, it all happend so suddenly but I was soon better and panic over. They continued my treatment after about half an hour and checked my vitals were all OK. They were marvelous to me and said that it can happen even if you have been fine before so that was a relief, in a funny sort of way. They had put the canular in a different vein this time at beginning of session, so that was good and I had no discomfort at all. Went in just after 9.30 thinking that I would be done in about 2 1/2 hours but didn't come out until 1.00pm. They gave me lunch as well and I had egg cress sand' packet crisps and ice cream and 2 cups of tea/biscuits. No complaints about treatment and care at this unit. The lady that I always sit next to was having her final treatment today and they all gave her a big hug and we swapped contact details. She now awaits surgery then rads. I'm sure we will keep in touch.

Lots of messages to catch up on so I will be back later to write some more.

Take care everyone.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry Samlou
Doh! Just read your post again and realised you are booked on it!! You will enjoy it, its worth it for the products, I worked out approx £200 worth of stuff. you also get perfume!
Mary xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone
Well went back to bed and had another 2 hours then went to meet work colleagues for a coffee so feeling much better!
Mollie- So sorry to hear you are poorly hope it doesnt delay next chemo, fingers crossed.
Marie- Thanks yes OH much better so hes allowed out of spare room!
Jamesy- I had a sore throat last time, no temp, sore again now still no temp but have oncologist review appt this afternoon so will get it checked then.
KQ- I am already a bit overweight but my appetite has remained ok, not as big as it was but am eating ok and I have lost about 6lbs, could be to do with portion size for me though. I find I am eating little but often! Dont know about coleslaw sorry! Cant see it would be harmful!
Angelherts- Thanks for all the info its good to know these things, I havent been told strength of FEC but thats another question for today!
Vivibell- Its the 'Look Good Feel Better' session for women with cancer. I went yesterday to one at local hospital and got a bag full of skincare and make up products all full size and from companies like Clarins/Clinque/No7 etc. Volunteers from beauty counters help you through cleansing your skin and applying make up. If you put the name of the session in to Google it should come up.If you tell them your skin tone also you get products for that skin tone.
You can join any thread you like Vivibell, you are very welcome to stay for support, some people look for a thread to suit their needs at the time and may post on several threads at the same time, we are all in the same boat hon, so pop in and out when you want.I tried the cold cap for first 2 but wasnt successful, I felt it was more distressing falling out so ended up having it shaved off, traumatised my hairdresser who I have been going to every week for last 7 years, got a lovely wig so feeling ok.xx
Samlou- Hi, when I went to the session yesterday the volunteer ladies told us that they get ladies from Lancaster, Barrow and Preston because Blackpool is the nearest one.I am up at the unit today for oncologist review appt and the folder is kept in Reception so I will get a tel no for you to ring and book on. My appt is at 3.30 so it will be later on, good luck.
Beryl- Hope all went well today xxx
Hugs to everyone and hope everyone doing ok with SEs and treatments!
Mary xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

KQ - I ate coleslaw from the salad bar in Pizza Hut yesterday and am ok so far!

Twinky x

Patchit

Afternoon ladies, just a quick post as I am at work.

Angelhearts, what a fantastic post, thank you so much for all the info. I too was taken off the WBC injections, but my FEC was put down to FEC75. I dont think I had an allergic reaction as such, certainly not like you had, but I certainly wasn't well with them and had a trip to A&E because of them. You have given me lots of food for thought, and questions to add to my list for the Onc on Mondya, so thank you again! Hope you get on well with the PICC line today, and your last Fec si ok. I dont think my blood counts were as good as yours last time, and I am on 75, not 100, so you have done fantastically well!

Joan xxx

Kittyqueen

Hellloooo Again xxx

Angelherts....Angie..thank you that post...love the good news bit, really helps when you're feeling low xxxx

Marchies...quick question...Can I eat coleslaw???? Need coleslaw to eat with my pizza baked pot and salad tonight :))))))))))

Huggles
KQ

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,
Excuse my intrusion - I am from the Feb thread.
Peanut1955 - I have read your posts on the lancaster thread - I too am under the wonderful Mr P, I am in barrow in furness. I was just wondering if you had your LGFB session in Blackpool - I am going in June?

To all re tax - I had my first a week and half a go and its not that bad honestly 😉
Take care everyone
Sam xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

Just an update as been a while since I posted. I've had my first counselling session and I left me feeling really depressed ! Not sure it's meant to have that effect, but I think talking about everything does bring you down. Hoping next session can focus on ways forward.

My sore arm - well had a couple of weird "raised" veins. Once when I bumped my hand and a vein flared up immediately and bulged out of my hand and then the next day when one raised up in my neck for no apparent reason.

So yesterday went for bloods and nurse struggled to get a vein and when she did the blood just wouldn't come out ! Normally I am a fast bleeder (lol) and fill up the 2 tubes easily but she almost had to drag it out and only got half a syringe, which she then shared into the 2 tubes they needed.

SO - if you are having sore arms then you may find your next blood test is difficult and you will be told to have a PICC fitted.

I'm off to have it fitted in a couple of hours and having mild panic attack at the thought of it but know it will be worth it.

Re TAX. I have been terrified about moving to this because I had allergic reaction to WBC injection and TAX does have a higher occurrence of allergic reactions. So saw ONC yesterday and he was lovely and after hearing full description of my allergic reaction he said he can't risk giving me any other brand of WBC injections and therefore I am at a higher risk of infection / low immunity on the TAX.

Apparently from trials it's about 1 in 5 people that will suffer from low immunity and most of those people will be affected by dose No 4 - the Tax one. Tax100 causes WBC to drop earlier - from day 5 onwards and because we've had 3 chemo doses already then we are already at a lower resistance. (hence why FEC100-TAX100 normally comes with WBC injections to reduce this risk)

SOooo - As I will of had 3 full FEC100 doses already, I now have to have my TAX dose reduced from 100 to 80. Apparently in USA it's standard practise to only have Tax80 and not have WBC injections (presumably because you have to pay for everything over there and WBC jabs are expensive).

I've been reassured that reducing the dose won't affect my prognosis especially as the prognosis tool they use is based on USA results anyway. I am also hoping it might reduce the SE's a bit as well 😉

TAX TIP !!- my ONC is requesting that the chemo nurses only administer a tiny dose - about 10ml - first and then stop it and wait 15 mins to see if my body reacts. If it does then I can't have it at all.

I thought this was a good idea and thought other ladies might like to suggest that if they have any reason to be concerned about an allergic reaction.

He's assured me that any allergic reactions show during the administering of the drug and NOT afterwards when home, obviously there will be SE's when you are home but only those we have already been warned about.

So all in all I am feeling much better about TAX, and have new anti sickness for my 3rd FEC tomorrow.

BAD NEWS - I met a lady in the waiting room who was back with a reoccurrence after 9 years since first diagnosis. I asked the ONC again - why are they so many people that have had the full monty and still get reoccurrences and he very nicely told me that the ONLY people we are going to be meeting in the hospital and on these forums are those in that smaller percentage risk who have had reoccurrences. The rest of the BC population are out shopping and getting on with their lives 🙂

GOOD NEWS - The lady was actually incredibly positive and looked amazing. Reoccurance was local and had MX and Chemo (again) but found it easier this time and only 4 sessions. Finished Jan and she had a lovely half inch of thick healthy looking hair. 9 years ago wasn't HER2 - and no treatment for it if she had been. This time HER2 so can also have Herceptin for a year.

Just reminded me that even if the bu**er comes back later that treatment moves on soo quickly that there is always hope.

I finally asked for full details of my prognosis and WITHOUT Chemo and Tamoxifen there would of been a 68% chance of reoccurrence (due to 8 nodes involved). BUT after Chemo and Tamoxifen there's a 74% chance that I WON'T get a reoccurence in the next 10 years - so all these crappy SE's are certainly worth it.

Sorry it's a long post but thought some people might find the info useful.

Congrats to Choccie for the JOB !!
Socks - pls come back and update us, and I truly hope you didn't wait 4hrs for an ambulance as that temp should of made you a priority.

Dulcie - just wanted to add that I was in your shoes after my 1st Chemo but am much calmer about infection/temps now and I can't even have the WBC boosting jabs. I learnt that it's "normal" for my body temp to hit 37.3 most nights if I am tired. Each day I did wake up "alive" after panicking myself silly - I would realise that I was OK after all - so the next day I didn't stress quite so much, then when I got to Chemo 2 and hadn't had an infection at all I was able to reassure myself that I could get through No2 as well - and I did !!

Tomorrow having No3 and bloods are still hanging in there with some immunity (WBC 3.8 and Neuts 1.7) - so much lower than last time but still in the "normal" range.

Love and Hugs to everyone have SE's and juicing this week. Going to get ready for PICC line now and drink water for FEC3 tomorrow.

Angie xx