cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Marvellous Marchies 2012 Moving on

what a nightmare of a day! Spent 6 hours in the hospital where they decided I had blood clots in my arm, I think from the FEC going in to quickly last time, now got to have daily anticoag injections and the picc line will have to be put in my neck because the clots run all the way up my good arm! I used to have a life!!

I am sorry to be a bit me me me at the mo ladies, I will read your posts this evening and calm down a bit. 😞

The first day I have felt hungry and not had access to food since breakfast! GOTTA EAT!

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening All

Glad to hear that everyone got through their treatment today and has arrived home none to worse for wear, but needing food by the sound of it. How could they not offer you something to eat after being kept waiting for so long, what planet are they on?

Lindy - I don't suppose Tax is very much different with regards to how you are going to feel afterwards to any other. My drugs/chemo each session are Tax and Cyclophospamide (spl?) which they call TC. Very similar s/e's. They give me anti-sick tabs that have worked for me which are Domperidone and Ondesteron (spl?). Ondesteron is the stronger one and I take that for the first 2 days together with the domperidone and then just the domperidone as and when required. I do continue the domperidone for a few more days to be on the safe side because I do have a weak stomach etc. Get usual tiredness starting late day 3 which continues into day 6 and then slowing improves. One of the side effects is tingly hands and feet and they get to feel very cold. Apparently it can effect your nails so I try to look after them but don't know if it's going to effect me or not. As I've already said I think a lot of the s/e's are very common across the board with all the chemo drugs. I would say if you've got through FEC and I don't know what FEC is then you can handle TAX, so don't get overly worried about it. Don't know if you get a sore mouth with FEC but you do with TAX and I suck ice pops and find them great. So far, touch wood, I've not had any mouth ulcers, long may that continue.

Off to have another rest and will check messages again later.

Best wishes to all.

Beryl XX

lindy50

Hello lovely ladies

Well juicing no 3 and last FEC done and dusted this morning, all went ok. Appointment was at 8.45 and was home by 11.30; what a result after all the waiting around on the 1st 2 juicings....

Liz I have been thinking about you all afternoon, what a day you have had, glad it went ahead, at least it is another one ticked off!! Your poor veins... My veins are sore and I use Ibuprofen Gel, does help give some relief. I did have my cooked breakfast on the way home, me and OH were starving, can't believe they didn't offer you toast!!! I was given extra meds this time round, the usual steroids to take for the next 3 days and also steroids to start taking day before the next cocktail (Tax....ummmm also wonder what that will bring) How about you?

WS: yes no 3 done, next one will be Tax.... not looking forward to it though, fear of the unknown again I suppose!!!!

Beryl: all went well thank you.. I see you are on Tax, how has it been for you? any tips would be greatfully received.

Cyber hugs to everyone and hope se are minimal xxxx

wintersocks

Hello all and specially to:

EBHippo:, how is the blood count? Mine too was low b4 chemo 2, but went up again, just in time. This is not uncommon I think. I was told if borderline then they will still do.

Maire67: Your hat?/scarf? (can't tell!) looks great! and you look very smiley. It cheered me up. No date for bone sc, I am not sure if it is a DEXA or full (to check for otseo). More tests and smear next week as last one borderline. When will stop?

Lindy50: blood tests and no 3 gone ahead? So, tax is now new for you? I wonder how it will be comparatively?

MegsMum: Gabbylamb: Carolyn1709: Arm sore too now (day 6), think is vein. At what point do they abandon cannula? Question: Is that why people have piccs etc? because of general vein trouble? anyone?

Chascat: Yeah for hubs! great news! Question please: how r u finding the fringe? I am thinking of getting one, as NO hair looks very severe for me under a hat.

Patchit: Understand completely your emotional reactions; I do hope that has lifted? It's ok to be Me! (not that it is with you) You have really helped me in the past, when I have been in a dark place.

Franoli: Tough day for you today, and following the allergy stuff; I expect you have had a long day with all that you have to do, so am sending my love. X

Flower20: Welcome, is a good group we have here. All help when times get tough. Hair loss is awful (strange!) but I just think it will be back!. I think to have over summer period is harder.

Peanut: Knew I had to stop my job, bit miss the routine, but I think onc is right, it maybe too much.

I am alone tonight as my boy is with Dad, other has not been round despite sayin he would. Gp advises to put him to one side at the moment. But that makes me feel bad. But that's another story.

Hope this post goes...is a long one.

Dulcie - how you?

Love to all.

WS

EBHippo

Well finally home after a mammoth session in the waiting room... Had to be at hospital for 8:30 for more blood tests, by 11:30 I asked if my count was up enough and told yes and cocktail could go ahead, finally called through just before 1:00 then found veins were collapsing in my hand. After plenty of prodding finally got one that didnt shrink from the task ahead and took just over half an hour to dose up.

Lindy - I bet you were home by then and had your cooked breakfast on the way back. I was starving and didnt even get offered toast!!! Were you given any meds this time, I think I asked but cant remember what you said [blooming chemo eh]. One good thing, no antibiotics on round 3 !!!

So sitting here, cat on lap relieved - last fec, 3 down and 3 to go - half way so the finishing line is getting nearer. Slightly apprehensive as know roughly what to expect from fec, wonder what excitement tax will bring, hoping that the ladies a couple of weeks in front of me will let me know.

Hugs to all and hoping se's are minimal again, after reading other postings think I have gotten off quite lightly, fingers crossed it stays that way. Love - Liz xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon Ladies

Sorry didn't come on earlier but we went into King's Lynn to visit my friends husband, just to make sure he's doing OK since the funeral last week.

I've had to trawl back through the last few pages to remind me about what has been going on with everyone and sorry in advance if I miss anyone out.

ChoccieMuffin - Congratulations on your job offer and we will be thinking of you next Monday when your start. Don't you forget to come on and let us know how you are getting on etc.

Dulcie - How are you doing after your first session? We are thinging about you. I/we know that you will come on and update us as soon as you can.

EbHippo - Hope blood count is good and your treatment can go ahead today and doesn't get delayed.

Lindy50 - Believe you are due for session today and hope all went OK for you.

Chascat (Lydia) - Good news about hubbys results and know that it must have been a worrying time for both of you, especially on top of everything else. Good news that your little girls school is being very understanding and supportive.

Patchit (Joan) - Hope you are feeling a lot better today - big hug X

Gabbylamb (Gabby) - Hope you are feeling better as well. Half an hour to push chemo through seems very fast to me. PIC sounds like the answer and yes a long drive to have it flushed through. I'm sure I read somewhere on the Forum here where someone had a DN come in to have theirs done, perhaps that's something to be asked. When I start rads it will mean a 1 1/2 hour drive each way to Addenbrookes (Cambs), so I can understand the concern.

Bettie - My hair started to come out big time the day after second session. I'm wearing my scarfs/hat and haven't been brave enough to go comando, although weather has been too cold anyway. Wig still not had an outing or been on my head for more that 5 mins.

Raechi and Mary - Hope you are both OK after second session yesterday and meds are doing the job keeping your s/e's to a minimum. Emend seems to be the best and it sounds like a bit of a post code lottery if hospital is being funny about giving it to you Raechi. Perhaps that's a question you could ask again if you have another rough time this session.

GeorgieB - Hope your mouth is improving. When my mouth starts to feel a little tender/sore I suck ice pops and they really help. Also Chemo Helpline recommended that I dilute Codysyl 50/50 for daily mouthwashes. I find Codysyl to strong neat out of the bottle and it's certainly worked. I also try to stick to loads of water which must help as well. It's a bit of a chore trying to get it all down and I have to force myself sometimes. Sounds like you and your friend had a real interesting time with the little ones and the dog, well done.

Megsmum - I'm on Tax and it certainly states that hight risk of hair loss and other things as well. Touch wood, so far it's just the hair loss but I've two more sessions to go and have stopped cold cap so time will tell. I/we can understand you worrying about feeling so unwell again and if you will be OK for next treatment. They will want to make sure that your system is fine before giving you anymore treatment and that you can cope with it. Fingers crossed everything will be fine and go ahead to keep you on track. Big hug X

Franoli - My you have had a tough time! Hope you get your portocath and treatment today and let us know how you got on.

Flower20 - Welcome to our group of love ladies. Sorry to hear that you had a tough time after your first treatment. Looks like the other ladies have already steered you towards some on the good sites for hats/scarfs. Not sure if anyone has told you about R&R Confidence. I got a couple of buffs from them and they are very comfortable. There are other sites that do them as well. If you just google buffs something will come up.

Pargayan - Glad to hear that they have finally said no work for you during chemo, they know it makes sense! We are thinking about your husband as well and hope he can get sorted out soon at the hospital and treatment. You are allowed to be or get grumpy so don't ever worry about that.

Twinky - Hope you are doing OK today!

Marie - Glad you have got the energy to blitz the house before session next week. Energy level normally go up sometime in third week so if we can't do it then when are going to? I will probably do my bits over the weekend sometime. We live in a bungalow so it doesn't take very long. I miss going out into the garden and having a potter about. Just as well the weather has been so horrible this week because I have not had the energy or inclination. Like the new picture of you - very nice!

Had my Onch appointment yesterday and saw the young Registrar. He is quite a good looking fellow, the sort you wouldn't mind your daughter bringing home, didn't say that to him but was tempted. He probably would have thought I needed sectioning! He didn't think my hand would be a problem for next session because they are very good at finding veins, remains to be seen. They always weigh me before I see him and weight has stayed about the same.

Phew - that was a bit of a marathon. Thinking about you all and everyone that hasn't posted in a while. Hope all is well with you and everything going to plan.

Best wishes

Beryl XX

megsmum

Afternoon all, nice to have you with us Flower this group has made me realise i am not alone and i can ask questions without feeling silly.
Thanks for your good wishes everyone i am feeling much better now, thank goodness for antibiotics 🙂
Its cold and wet up here in the NE so im staying indoors keeping warm knitting baby cardigans ready for my 1st grandchild due end of august, i am sooo looking forward to it.
POPPY hope your ok and starting to feel better
Also hope everyone else is doing ok with minimal se,s.

Keep strong xx

chascat

Jane - sorry, meant to say in my post, love your profile pic, your hat looks fab!

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies,
Flower20- welcome the journey is a bit of a rollercoaster, but this is a wonderful place to get support and advice, and to have a rant if needed.
CM- congratulations on the new job
Pargayan- think we are all entitled to be if we want to. Has hubby had an appointment at the TIA clinic yet?
Carolyn- hope the lump turns out ok, just something else you don't want to have to worry about.
Raechi- hope you are feeling a bit better, be persistant in asking for meds to stop the sickness if you have the energy to do so.
Molie - hope bloods are ok and that chemo can go ahead today.
Peanut- hope you are doing ok after yesterday, they have not checked my bp when I have had chemo, so maybe I will ask on Monday if they should be doing it.
KQ- hope the SE's remain minimal for you.
Patchit- hope you are feeling better today.
Dulcie- how are you doing? hope SE's are minimal. Is OH on the mend?
While I have got some energy, and the weather is miserable I am going to blitz the house, as won't have any next week if n.o 3 goes ahead.
Hope everyone does ok today
Jane

chascat

Morning ladies

Rae - My oncologist gave me Emend without me having to ask, she didn't hesitate, my chemo nurse said chemotherapy costs thousands of pounds and they're not bothered about spending a little bit more if it gets you through the treatment, I think you should pursue it, although realise this is easier said than done. I was very sick after fec1 and had no sickness after fec2 once I’d had emend but a week on and the nausea did kick in, at times almost unbearably so there's no guarantee it will stop nausea, just sickness.

CM - Big congratulations on your new job, what a huge boost to your confidence, well done!

KQ - I only manage about 4 hours sleep a night at best, for the first week after chemo I have virtually zero, it's so hard in the middle of the night, I know I should get up and do something when I'm awake but just feel too damn exhausted to move. In terms of eating I’m going to get an Olympic gold at the rate I’m going, trying to keep in a check a bit more from today, not sure my husbands leftover curry and my salmon fillet is a good combination!
Peanut - sorry you had such a rough time with the cold cap, in terms of blood pressure, they've never done mine when I’ve gone in for chemo, nor have they done my weight, even though I’ve seen them do other peoples, I'll have to check if they should be doing this every time I suppose.

Paragayan - I returned to work a week after fec1 as I was so well but have struggled to continue as have felt so rough after fec2, and I work from home, there's no way I could go out into the workplace. I realise some people have no choice due to financial hardship though, I do get full pay for 26 weeks so no rush for me to return but like you say, was hoping it would give me some kind of normality and make me feel useful, truth be told I’m hardly doing anything, logging on, chatting to people on the phone on and off and doing probably about an hours worth of work at best each day but it's something to do and gives me some routine and structure.

Dulcie - Hope you're feeling ok after treat number 1, thinking about you.

Joan - Sorry to hear you're feeling so low, I’ve been like that for the last few days and it was a real shock as I’ve haven't felt like that for a while, I’m feeling much better now and more upbeat, hoping it was just another SE.

Twinky - thinking of you. I know you're struggling, feeling physically rubbish and emotionally very low, and going through this alone with no family help. I probably only live about 40 minutes away from you so please shout up if you need anything - childcare arrangements and se's aside I’m sure I can help.

Beryl - Can't scroll back far enough to read your post, hope you're ok.

Sorry not to mention everyone, hope all are doing well, thinking of those ladies who haven't posted for a while, hope you're ok.

Take care all

With love

Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies

Welcome to Flower, you'll find great support here for laughs and the inevitable lows, and any questions always get answered by all these wonderful Marchies.

Well done to you Choccie, don't you dare stop posting, I think we all rely on your words of wisdom. So pleased for you about the job, an inspiration for onwards and upwards.

Rae try to insist on new drugs, like Peanut says, your entitled to what you want, I'd be the same as her apart from 2 children never taken anything from NHS so you pay taxes your entitled. Good luck, tackle them at an emotional time then they'll buckle.

Thinking of you today Joan, hope tummy ok. same for Lydia, Rae, and Peanut, hope you're feeling a little better day by day Megsmum. Great news about hubby Lydia, hope I'm not repeating myself. Thanks for the giggles re dogs and babies Georgie, unexpected laughs at silly things are the best medicine. Oh dear Franoli another poor sufferer having a bad time, hugs coming your way.

I'm waiting for letter from work re occupational therapy, what a waste of time. I've already decided I want to go back part time for 2 weeks then full time after summer holidays in September, I can't be bothered fussing around and want my return to work to be as normal as can be so I can get my life back to normal. I suppose it's one of the hassles of working for a local authority.

Hugs to everyone else, hope se. Minimal.

Take care and rest when needed.

Love Carolyn xxx

Kittyqueen

Morning All,

Raechi.... I was given emend straight away, being me I didn't even look on the packet what they were called....I think you should insist on having them .

MaryP.... Sorry to hear about your cold cap experience...to me the decision not to have it was a relief and cut down the time so much, but I too am struggling with cutting the last few strands off...will have to be done soon. xxx

Flower20 Welcome to you xxxx

Choccie Muffin.... Huge congrats on the job xxx And big thank you for being so supportive of us all xxx

Bigs hugs to all going for treats tday and may the se's be minimal.

I managed to sleep from about 10.00 to 2.30 last night then that was my lot grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! Woke up with the tomato face, least look a bit healthier...be gald when last of steriods are gone ugh!!!!!!
Apart from that my Se's still seem to be very minimal on number 2 but not counting any chickens just yet.........still eating ok too...is everyone else doing ok on the eating stakes?

Huggles to all

Love KQ

raechi

Oh and good luck to all having chemo today / this week
Hugs to all.
Rae
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone
Feeling a bit rough this morning from 2nd FEC yesterday but nausea not bad, fingers crossed. Have managed toast for breakfast.
Shelley- good luck with your Potacath and chemo today.
Flower- Welcome to forum, sorry you have to be here but you will get a lot of advice and support from all the ladies on here. I too suffered from extreme nausea first time around lasted for 10 days 4 of them I couldnt get out of bed.When I saw Oncologist for review I asked him for Emend as had been told about it. He gave me a perscription straight away and I got another yesterday in preparation for 3rd FEC. They are expensive as the Pharmacist in the hospital made it known loud and clear that all 3 tabs were worth approx £600!!! and did I know that?? Fortunately or unfortunately for the pharmacist I wasnt in a good mood. I also said very loudly that as I have worked for the NHS for nearly 40 years and this was the first time apart from 2 pregnancies that I had used the NHS i felt fully entitled to it no matter what price it was! Although I did have a bit of a weep on way back to the car! I would suggest you contact your chemo clinicl lead nurse or helpline and request Emend, you may need to make a bit of a fuss but do try it its worth it. Very best of luck Thinking of you xx
Mollie- good luck today for chemo xx
Pargayan- As I was leaving the unit yesterday the nurse did say oh! I should have done your blood pressure! I am at GPs tonight so will ask him to do that. Actually when I had my surgery they did say I had a little blip with my BP in recovery but they didnt really make an issue about it.
Beryl- Hope you are ok? Thinking of you xxx
Thinking of everyone
Mary xx

raechi

Flower20,
Welcome to the group. I am the same age as you but no little ones for me yet, although I did have fertility treatment pre chemo so here is hoping.

Re headwear I love suburban turban. I bought the Gemma and I really like it on. Not cheap, but we get the vat off if undergoing treatment and definitely something I will wear.
I also looked on eBay and on r and r confidence.

My hair came at day 15 after my first FEC. Patchy at first so I shave it to a number 1. I have to say I go commando most of them time now. I just prefer it. My wig has made an outing but it makes my head itch. So now I just don't bother. I wear my hat in this kind of weather when my head gets cold.

I know what you mean about sickness. I am struggling with it this time ( I had FEC2 yesterday).

Hope you are doing ok.

Am back off to bed before my nurse comes. GCSF injection today.

Take care,

Rae
X

Bettie

Flower20

Bohemia Fashions headwear and Annabandana are great for scarves. Buffs are really good as well.

I know how you feel about the hair loss. i'm due for my 2nd Fec next Weds, my hair is already coming out but had a real boost yesterday when I answered the door in one of my scarves and was told that I look great. Its a confidence thing and getting used to wearing scarves etc. i'm sure you will look great.

Bettie xx

mollie43

Morning ladies,

Just a quickie before juicing number 2a week late, had bloods yesterday hope they will be ok.gabby just a quick point I have a picc line and can have it flushed at my doctors, not all are trained but check in case saves
A lot of time, also I thought the flush was once a week that's all I have and have had mine 4 weeks now.
Will post later when I get home.

raechi

Hi ladies,
Can I ask a quick question. I have had an iffy night all in all feeling sick. I asked about emend to be told its not available and I can only get it on a private prescription at 75 pounds a shot. Has anyone else been told this?

Well done on the job CM, am chuffed for you.

Love to all. Let's hope these se's bugger off.

Rae

pargayan

Hi Peanut
Since hubby has been having his problems, he was advised to regularly monitor his blood pressure and I bought a monitor that I have also been using. I have noticed that my blood pressure gets very low in the 2nd and third week and by pulse gets higher. When I mentioned it to the chemo nurse on Monday she said to get up and move slowly to avoid feeling faint. Might be worth checking with your GP to make sure you are not suffering low BP.

Well off to bed now - hope to sleep ok despite last steroid this afternoon. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi CM- congrats on new job and good luck for starting Mon, I am delighted for you.It gives us all hope for the future. You will be really missed on here, please try and keep in touch sometimes love to hear how you are getting on. Yes you are right, we do take ourselves off to bed to recover if we have flu so we should be doing the same now without feeling guilty, its unfortunate its just taking a little longer.This is not our fault, I consider myself lucky that despite spreading to Lymph nodes it was an early cancer so outlook very positve and thats what I am going with!!
Pargayan- I too have been advised by OCC Health not to work also Oncologist agrees. Was scary today! Could feel myself going floppy and sliding of chair! Thing is I am not a fainter, once felt faint in early pregnancy 33 years ago but since started chemo been nearly spark out twice, no idea why really but my boob is very sore tonight??
Thinking of everyone
Sleep well
Mary xx

pargayan

Evening all,
Lydia – good news re hubby’s results, one less thing to worry about.

Shelley – good luck with the heavy day tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Peanut – sorry to hear that you have had to stop the cold cap, must have been a scary moment.

EBHippo – hope your bloods sort themselves out in time for tomorrow, I have had to have my bloods redone both times now and each time they come good at the last moment so hopefully you will be the same.

Carolyn – hope the lump turns out ok, try not to worry too much though I know it is difficult.

Dulcie – glad you have got the 1st one out of the way, hope the SEs are minor and hubby is feeling better.

ChoccieMuffin – congrats on the new job and good luck for Monday.

Sorry to hear a lot of us are all feeling a bit rough and low at the moment, too many to respond individually.

Woke this morning feeling slightly nauseous and tired. Saw work Occ Health today and they have said I should not work whilst on chemo. I was trying to kid myself that I would be ok, but knew deep down I would not be able to. Not sure how those of you who are working are coping, though I understand how it gives some normality in this strange world we find ourselves in.

Finding myself to be very grumpy at the moment with no patience which is not making a very harmonious home!

Love and sweet dreams wished for all xx

ChoccieMuffin

Chascat, sorry to hear you’ve been feeling so yucky. I hope you’re keeping your symptoms diary, as they might be able to adjust your meds again. Their aim is to reduce or remove side-effects. I’m very impressed with your daughter’s school. THIS is the sort of support that is so important during these tough few months. I’ve met the lady who started Suburban Turbans, and it was started expressly for cancer people. WHOOP WHOOP FOR YOUR HUBBY!!!

Patchit, I know it’s a long long way in the future while you’re going through chemo, but this time last year I had just that feeling at work. I actually started a new job during chemo, think it was after FEC3, and I also got that brain thing where I couldn’t keep a single idea in my head. But I HAVE managed to get the inside of my head back, and even while I was going through the goldfish-brain stage, I was still able to be useful in work (when I felt well enough to do it). And same thing for you as for Chascat. Keep a note of your symptoms and let the team know. Some people need Movicol, others need Imodium, and there’s no way to tell which you’ll be.

Periods – ugh. I had my last one just before FEC4, not had one since.

Gabbylamb, I’m surprised they’re talking about twice-weekly flushes. I thought the standard was weekly. You might want to have a word with them about that. Glad you got the PICC though, so your poor veins have the chance to recover. I hope you start to feel a bit less yucky.

Georgie, how good is it to have a bloomin’ good belly laugh! Glad you were able to hone your sense of the ridiculous, it certainly seems like you needed it today! And I hope the dog’s being a bit more considerate in choosing places to puke…

Megsmum, you’re ALLOWED to be emotional and teary, so don’t beat yourself up about it. Chemo messes with the inside of your head as well as with your body, so put the feelings down as another side-effect. Would it be worth asking about a line, if your arms are suffering so much? Others on here have found it very helpful. I know it’s a disappointment if your chemo has to be delayed by a week, but better that than you getting really ill if your bloods haven’t recovered enough to take another onslaught. And yes, TAX does also cause hair loss. Some people find that it seems to affect different hair (eyebrows and lashes tend to go west more on Tax, for example) but as usual everybody’s an individual and you might find other bits of fuzz are affected more.

Peanut – what fright! And you’re right. Here we are having really aggressive treatments and we are less kind to ourselves than we would be if we DID have a bad dose of flu! Don’t know about you, but when I have flu (or even a bad cold) I allow myself to slope off to bed for a day or two so I can recover. So we SHOULD make the same allowances when doing the chemo thing.

Franoli, good luck for tomorrow. That’s a heck of a schedule, but at least you’ll have the port (I love mine!) and won’t have to play “hunt the vein” any more. It’s a tough day, but you may find you just sleep through the chemo as an after-effect of the GA.

Flower20, for scarves and stuff, try annabandana.co.uk. They’re the cheap-and-cheerful end of things. For very good quality hats that are a bit more pricy (but lovely) try suburbanturban.co.uk. Or a Buff, which I swore by. I didn’t bother with scarves most of the time but when I did I used long ones rather than square ones – Primark? – and make sure you don’t get shiny ones as they slide off, cotton is good. I either went commando or wore my Buff when I got cold and I still use the Buffs when out walking the dog even though I have hair again now. Also get hold of something to put on your head at night. I was surprised at just how cold the top of my head got!

Warm hugs to everyone who hasn’t posted updates recently. Far too many to mention, sadly.

And now my little bit of good news: phone interview on Monday afternoon, face-to-face yesterday, job offered and accepted before lunch today, and I start next Monday!!! So I’ll have to go cold turkey off the site and won’t be posting quite as much. Whoop whoop!!! So all of you wondering if you’ll EVER have a normal life again, the answer is, YES, you will. It might not be the SAME normal that you had pre-BC, but there IS a future to be had.
Love and hugs to all,

CM
x

chascat

Hi flower

Welcome come to thread, although so sorry you had to join us. I'm 44 with a 4 year old daughter and the hair loss isn't easy to deal with I know, my hair started falling out on day 14 and on day 18 my OH shaved it off, for a couple of days it was really tough but i'm ok with it now, although I obviously don't like it. Anna Bandana http://www.annabandana.co.uk/ is a good website and have a huge variety of hats and scarves of which I have a few, my favourite website is Surburban Turban http://www.suburbanturban.co.uk/ who are considerably more expensive but really stylish, i've had loads of compliments on my hats and it's made it so much easier going out and about, they also do clip on fringes which just look fab and i've just ordered one, although to be honest not sure if i'd even use it now as i'm so comfortable in my hats.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Take care

Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi there i had my first FEC last week. Just emerged into society again after terrible sickness nd and nausea and that general feeling as if you have had a really bad bug. I reckon my hair will start falling out in next week. I've got my wig started but i need some scarves/ hats etc. can anyone recommend where i can buy these. ? I am 37 with a two yr old boy- dreading hairloss x

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening ladies,
Chascat - so pleased that hubby's results have come back ok, I to have found FEC 2 harder.
Lindy50- hope all goes ok with chemo tomorrow
Patchit- it's quite normal in BC world to worry about the slightest ailment as we are all aware how quickly we can become poorly, where as in normal world ( whatever that was!!) we would just take no notice and carry on with life.
Gabbylamb- you really have had a tough time with all those problems. I thought my FEC2 went throught quick in an hour but 1/2 hour blimey, I also thought the speed of mine was why I suffered more this time.Your poor arm hopr your cheery self back soon.
Bettie- it is amazing how tired we get doing nothing really.
Raechi- hope the nausea eases soon
GeorgieB - hope the sore mouth eases, have you got anything for it, sounds like you had a fun day with the babies and your friend
Megsmum- it's not surprising you are feeling emotional after what you have been through, definitely avoid the crowds on your return trip to the caravan.
Peanut- what a day you had, hope you have revovered from the fainting episode and have minimal SE's tonight
Franoli- glad bloods came good in the end and portacath and chemo have the go ahead for tomorrow.
Hope everyone else doing ok and SE's will be minimal.
Off to bed to read book now
Night All
Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening Ladies

Just read through the latest posts before going to bed and there are so many to respond to that I'm going to do it tomorrow morning.

I need to re-read them and get my head into gear for responses, so please excuse my delay. There is so much going on and some of you are having/had a tough time.

Thinking of you all and hope you get good night sleeps.

Night, Night.

Beryl XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening, ladies. Been a bit of a rotten few days. Blood count was too low for portacath last week and then on Friday I came out in a rash which meant I had to go to A&E which took up another few hours. They decided it was an acute allergic reaction to something but no-one knows what.

Today we went back for more bloods and to see the consultant. Arrived at 8.30 and left at 2.30. They work so hard in that unit, I don't know how they do it. Anyway, my bloods have improved so I can have the portacath inserted tomorrow but the consultant also wants me to have chemo tomorrow so it looks like we'll be there all day. I have to have a general anaesthetic then they said bed rest for 4 hours and then chemo so I am writing the next few days off as I can't imagine I'll feel like doing anything at all. That's put paid to some work plans I had. My hair is coming out in handfuls so time to order the wig, I think.

Sorry for not replying to you all individually. I'm sending you a collective hug for being so supportive and wonderful.

Shelley xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone
Well had 2nd FEC today and what a palavar!! Arrived for 10.30am appt nurse came out at 11am to explain my chemo not arrived from lab, at least she told me!! She was lovely actually and very apologetic said it would be about another hour!! Not!! Eventually got in at 2pm! Line in and cold cap on, within 15mins went all faint, not had chemo by this time!! Almost fainted but nurse got me on floor quick and whipped off cold cap. The sister on the unit came in and said she had seen another lady do that with cold cap, something to do with nerve endings!! Eventually got chemo and home for 4.30pm, straight to bed and slept till 7.30pm, feeling much better now but thats end of cold cap!! Good thing I have wig ready although still got quite bit of hair left but shedding fast, wondering whether to cut it shorter, not sure I can go with full baldness just yet, I am not that brave!!
Rae- Sorry to hear you got nausea, they gave me Emrnd this time but my nausea didnt kick in for 4 days. Hope you have a better night xx
Lydia- Fab news about your hubby, am sure it must be a great relief to you both.
Georgie- How on earth are you managing to look after kids! Admire you for that, I am not even working! Dont know how others are doing it!!
Well going to go back to bed i think as feeling weary. Sorry to hear some of you are feeling down but please dont be too hard on yourselves, I think you are all doing so well being upbeat most of time, think you are entitled to be a little bit down, it is Cancer we have not a bad dose of flu so let yourselves feel sorry for a while because we always jump back to reality, holdoing it all in is not good for us anyway is it?? My thoughts are with you all, keep going we are nearly there! XXXXXXXXXXX

megsmum

Evening all i hope those of us who are having problems start to feel better soon, since being hospitalised i have become very emotional again, i thought i had got that under control but being so ill has really scared me and made me realise how vulnerable we are while having chemo.
I am starting to panic about next chemo as my good arm is covered in bruises and quite sore from multiple attempts to insert canulas when i was ill and i,m worried incase he says i can,t have my chemo if bloods haven,t recovered
In our haste to come home i have left my clean clothes, wig and hats at the caravan so all being well we are going back up to collect them this weekend, i will be carefull not to go to crowded places though, how do you girls cope with small children it must be so hard.
On the hair front mine is about a no3. and now seems to be growing very bizzare, but i,m sure FEC no3 will sort that out ha ha. Does Taxol cause hair loss i wonder.
Anyway as i said i hope everyone starts to feel better soon, goodnight.

Keep strong xx

GeorgieB

Hi ladies I had a funny day today despite a very sore mouth! My friend came over for lunch and to help me look after my 2 grandchildren aged 12 weeks and 17 months. As. The 17 month old fell asleep on her lap the baby began to cry. So off I rushed to make his bottle up. Came back to hear my friend saying "dog out out" ( she hates dogs) and to find the b.... Dog had thrown up twice on the carpet by her feet. So I rushed off again to clear that up, finally sat down with bottle and baby and could I get the b.... Lid of the bottle. By this time the pair of us were crying with laughter - I said we could a sitcom about middle aged woman and babies and dogs!
Back to our SE my mother's best friend is an oncologist in Hungary. She told him she was worried that if the meds are acculumitive I would feel really ill by the end. He said no the body gets used to it and copes better?! Not sure I believe it but we can always hope!
Re the water my info says 3 litres prior to chemo and for the next two.
Have a good night
Georgie xx

raechi

Hello lovely ladies,
Sorry to see so many of us are feeling poorly. I wish I had a magic wand to make us all better.

Lydia, fab news re hubby.

I had FEC 2 today and feel rather nauseous. It's off to be for me, I hope everyone starts to feel like their od selves soon.

Love to all,

Rae
X

Patchit

Lydia, that's fantastic, I am sooooooo pleased for you. That must have given you a boost, I hope!

Reading posts, I realise that I am not alone in how i have been feeling. It sort of makes it a bit better, knowing I am normal with my fears and anxieties.

Bless you all ladies

Big hug for better days

Joan xxxxxx

chascat

Bettie

Hi, really sorry to those of you having bad SE's. Sorry I can't remember individual names as my brain has completely gone to mush.

Hair coming out in handfuls now (2nd FEC due next weds, even the dog was covered in it so have started to wear my scarves which are dead nice though it will take a while to get used to.

Soooo tired, didn't realise how much this treatment takes it out of you and the simplist things are such an effort.

Back to the tele for Waterloo Rd and The apprentice.

Have a good evening everyone and sleep tight

Bettie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lydia so pleased with your good news 🙂 Keep strong hunny

Guest user
Not applicable

EB HIppo!! wow Cleo is amazing!! what a beautiful lady you are!

chascat

Hubby's blood results all normal - runs around the room whooping!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi lovelies, ive not posted for a while, since second FEC been really unwell with sickness, off balance, diarrea, sore arm, and hallucinations! That will teach me for saying how well I did on FEC 1!! Just got back from hospital as I now have to had a PICC line as my veins have given up. I have been reading all your posts and know some of you had the sore arm thing too, it just wasnt getting better and I cant even straighten it or touch the skin now. Im convinced the last lot was infused too quickly (went in within 1/2 hr) and am glad that my poor veins havent got to go through that again but on the down side I live an hour and a half from the hospital and a PICC line means I have to go have it flushed twice a week!! NOOO!

I send all my hugs and love to you all, as I say I have been reading and would love to reply to every single one of you, love all the upbeat stuff you post and wish I could too at the mo, but my usual cheery nature has taken a hike 😞 Dam this chemo!

Keep strong ladies, without you I would be a wreck.
Lots and lots of love
Gabby

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon ladies

Sorry to hear youre nit well Joan, and like you this one has hit hard Joan, I think my killer period masked some symptoms but now feel the usual drained and lethargic wreck. I've already spoken to Caren as i can't make tomorrow, for varying reasons. God I hope these treatments don't get harder as we go through or by no 6 it'll take weeks to recover.

Hope your feeling a little better Lydia, thinking of you for hubbies results.

Must admit this depressing weather isn't helping mood, I need sone retail therapy. My son is moving in with his girlfriend at the end of the month and asked for some saucepans and a George Foreman grill, and god making a decision which to buy is a killer, what has happened to the confident decisive me of old?

Oh well better go and sort out something for tea.

Hugs to all with se, hope it went well for everyone.

Love Carolyn xxx

Patchit

Afternoon ladies

Sorry I have not posted for a couple of days, I have been in and out of the loo with diarrhoea. Feel better now but was quite poorly last night. I also feel really low in mkood which isnt helping and I HATE feeling miserable! I feel like someone has come along and stolen my brain, energy and positivity and left me empty. I think it all hit home a bit yesterday as I went to work for a couple of hours and just couldn't remember even the bare essentials! The slightest thing and I am panicking that its something awful (eg, had diarrahoea, but of course, not just diarrhoea in my mind! Oh no! I was going to end up in hospital and be REALLY REALLY ill!). God! wish I could put it all back into perspective again, heed my own advice as it were! Maybe its all part of the fog and I will feel better tomorrow? Sorry, to be so negative and its all about me me me!!

Lydia, thinking of you and fingers crossed for the best outcome possible. xxx

Dulcie, hope you are feeling ok today. xx

Carolyn and Caren, sorry, dont think I will make it tomorrow, I wouldnt want to pass anything on to anyone, but Ihope you have a lovely time! xx

Sorry not to do more personals but I am thinking of everyone and hoping you are all getting through this. Big hugs to all

Joan xxxxx

chascat

Afternoon ladies

Not posted for a few days, have felt so exhausted, low and nauseous, just didn't expect the sickness to come in a week later. Number 2 has really floored me, had so few SE's with number 1 this time came as a bit of a shock. Today I finally feel that the fog is lifting a bit, my head is more with it and i've had a fairly productive day at work. I've started taking my daughter into school a few minutes later in order to avoid the masses, just couldn't face them, but the school are being fab and meeting me at the office and taking her to her classroom so i'm finding the mornings much less stressful. The school secretary complimented me on my hat from http://www.suburbanturban.co.uk/ , said it was lovely and really suited me, she didn't mention the BC or my treatment but acknowledged things were different which I appreciated.

Hubby has his prostate cancer blood results today so we're both a bit nervous at the minute, i'm sure it will be fine and they just have to rule it out but everyone told me i'd be fine too so naturally i'm all doom and gloom 😞

I'll catch up properly later with a few personals.

Love to all

Lydia x

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon ladies

Hoping all well everywhere, especially Rae and Mary. I'm just beginning to feel normal after last weeks no 3, but think period floored me more than treatment. Bit more energy today, so I'll venture out tomorrow, beginning to go a little stir crazy looking at same 4 walls.

The photo is great EB, I'll say what everyone probably did you look really well, so glad the day was a success. Keep eating blood boosting foods readyvfor bloods tomorrow, colourful fruit etc.

Weather also grotty here, rain, rain and more rain.

Hoping your on the way upmMegsmum, what an ordeal, so strange how we all react so differently. My only problem now seems to be a sore hand where canula was, fingers crossed veins hold out for lastv3, don't have to gave Herceptin, so not too many more needles to worry about. Have noticed a small hard lump under where surgery was so off to see surgeon next week, god hope it's normal, don't want any more niggles.

I'm with you socks about the time between treatments, too much time to think about things. Dulcie I think we should eat and drink what we fancy really, there's so much going on it's not going to hurt us really in the long run. Enjoy what we want when we want it I say.

Hoping everyone ok, sending hugs to all.

Love Carolyn xxx

lindy50

Morning ladies,

Had blood tests done yesterday ready for tomorrows juicing, 3rd one for me and last FEC, then onto Tax for last 3.

EBHippo I hope to see you tomorrow and your bloods are ok. My appointment is at 8.45.

Weather is pretty gotty here today, rain, rain and more rain this morning.

Well off to have a shower and get dressed, feeling really lazy today!

Cyber hugs to all you lovely ladies xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies,
Grotty weather here in Attleborough,popped to see Dr's this a.m as for last 2 days have had a niggle in right ear, no temp though, but didn't want to take any chances as 3rd chemo should be Monday. Thoroughly checked me out, no signs of infection, but to keep an eye on temp, and contact them again if any probs. So am going to stay tucked up indoors with my book.Hubby and 2 cats are asleep in bed as he's on nights this week.
Megsmum- that was quite an ordeal you had,and I guess we should not under estimate the power of the chemo and how quickly we can become poorly, Hope you are continuing to improve.
Beryl- hope you get on ok with the onc today, do you have to travel all the way to Kings Lynn? Hope he thinks your hand wil be ok for next week.
Dulcie- glad you got through your first session ok, yes they always like to check your details several times. Have to say they were a bit stingy on the food side of things, you will have to take a picnic next time ( no spritzer though!!!!).Hope you do ok with the SE's are your sessions every 3 weeks?
Wintersocks- your cosy fire always sounds wonderful,hope you can shake of your low mood soon, not that this grotty weather helps, when is your bone scan?
Kittyqueen- hope you are still doing ok after yesterday.
Peanut and Raechi- hope you do ok today.
EBHippo- Hope you bloods will have boostered themselves by tomorrow, we can eat and drink everything that's recommended but there is still no guarantee that are bloods will good enough and treatment will be delayed.Fingers crossed for you.
Spacehopper- I should have chemo n.o 3 on Monday providing Fridays bloods will be good enough. Cleo looks great.
Off to make a cuppa and settle down with book.
Jane

EBHippo

Morning all my March Friends, can you believe we are already half way through April - doesnt time fly when we are having fun !!!

Just had a call from Chemo, supposed to be having no 3 tomorrow and surprise surprise, my blood count is low again... Got to go in tomorrow at 8:30 for another blood test which they will rush through so dont know if tomorrow is cocktails or not at this stage. Must admit this time round not that bothered as last time it was all focused on my sons wedding and now there is no time scale to stick to. What will be, will be.......

Weather really grotty here in Leicester, windy and raining heavily so might as well go into work and feel normal for a couple of hours.

Lindy - dont know what time you are tomorrow but hope we will meet up.

Thank you for all the lovely comments about my marathon ironing session and dancing the night away. Have finally managed to put a photo against my profile - Me and my eldest son with Cleo making her debut !!!!

Love and hugs to all xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Ladies

Hope everyone is doing OK today. Cold, wet and very windy here on the east coast and I've decided to stay in. Got my follow-up Onch appointment this afternoon.

Thinking about your Mary and Raechi, hope everything runs smoothly for your next sessions today.

Dulcie - Glad to hear that you made it through your first session. Hope you are drinking plenty of water to help flush it through your system. Yes, you do feel spaced out and it is quite normal. Did they give you steroids to take for the first couple of days and anti-sick meds? They do sound like they were a bit stingy with the refreshments over lunch and the time you were there. Sorry to hear that you OH is feeling unwell and hope he will be better soon, you can understand them not letting him stay with you taking everything into consideration. I kept taking my temp' after first session and got a bit paranoid about it but I don't bother now unless I feel a little bit off. You get used to how you are going to feel after the first session. Hope s/e's are minimal and try and rest as much as you can, listen to your body is what they tell us. If you enjoyed your veggie burger and spritzer then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Perhaps the spritzer should be off your wish list for a while!

Wintersocks - Sounds like you have a good supportive Doctor and I hope you won't have to wait too long for it all to get sorted out. Don't worry yourself about sounding off as you put it. It probably does you good to get it off your mind. We have to find some way of doing that and it must help knowing that we are here to support you and anyone else who needs to vent their frustation and anxieties. Big Hug X

Spacehopper - I admire you for even opening a packet of cheesy wotsits. My girls used to love them. Tried eating a packet of Quavers and they tasted off, so that was the end of that. Taste buds are all over the place going through this treatment. I wonder how long it takes to get them back to normal?

KQ - Glad you are feeling pretty good after 2nd FEC. Sleep is a bit of a bummer going through this and although they have given me sleep tabs I have tried not to keep taking them because don't want to get to reliant etc. It's nice that we can just go and lie down when the need arises. Admire you for having the energy to go to work but then I suppose it's nice to do something normal, feel useful and meet your work coleagues.

Bye for now.

Beryl XX

Kittyqueen

Morning All,

Dulcie--- Glad all went ok for you...I went out for lunch yeaterday on way back and had a fishfinger muffin!!!!

Socks---Hugs to you...we've got a log burner that I'm tyring to persuade OH to light but he's a bit possessive about it lololol

Raechi..All the best to you for today xxxx

Spacehopper...Cheesy wotsits...mmmmmm now I could eat a packet of quavers :)))

I still feel pretty good this morning after second fEC...didn't sleep well but guess that's the steroids so will have nap this morning and go in to work lunchtime.
Interstingly again after this treat I only seem to want to eat beans...sigh::::

Hugs to all

Love KQ

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Wintersocks ..Spacehopper
Winter do you mean DLA lol. I do hope that you get it...my male friend was working and he has bowel cancer..and he managed to get it!..
I wish we could sit together tonight having a good old chat by your fire...if you already have other health problems ..its more scary..in fact tonight ..i will set my alarm for 4am to check my temp..i usually go to the bathroom anyway around then..

What am i like..we where going out for a 'posh' tea..only i didnt feel up to it..so went somewhere they do 'offers' more local...and i order a veggie burger and chips! AND a spritzer...i realised ..i shouldn't be eating stuff like that....or should i? i haven't a clue!
Hugs to you and your boy...
Dulcie xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Also meant to say...read someone having problems with their Doc appts for certificates?
Mine have been great and are doing everything over the phone for me. If my doc is not there they get one of the others to write prescriptions and sickness certificates and normally I collect them same day.
Have a word with your doc, of all the stuff you're having to deal with and go through the least stress the better and tell them waiting on appts is stressing you and that they should be making that part of it easy for you!
Fingers crossed x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, wow what alot of posts love all you ladies we are a strong bunch.
I've not posted since the end of March had first FEC 2nd April and pretty much wrote of the first week feeling rough but got through it. 2nd week (when I'd planned to go back to work) tried to do normal just needed sleep and could do 1 thing each day but couldn't really focus on anything. 3rd week wow woke up with energy and felt great....pah...lulled into a false sense of energy hee hee, over did it then had to spend a sofa day but fine the next day.
Back at work this week doing 8-4 (so only 8hrs instead of 12) and it felt great. Shattered had to have a sleep as soon as I got in with the heating on but ok and back to work tomorrow.
Next round is Monday so I'll be off recovering again for a couple of weeks. Looking back that first week I was all in and felt like my world was tumbling in on me, but as you get through it and start to feel better, waking each day with something different going on (boy there's been alot of SE's), you feel stronger and remember to deal with it one step at a time and don't aim to get to ahead of yourself.

I always like to end on a giggle....you'll love this....all the good stuff I stocked up on to help couldn't cope with any of it....craved of all things (and never really like them) cheesy wotsits! After 3 days gave in to the craving my friend brought round a big multi pack and we stood in the kitchen opened the first bag, couldn't smell them and they tasted divine! I ate 4 bags and and ice pop and felt on top of the world......hee hee yeah to cheesy wotsits! Love and hugs to all x