Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masectomy and Reconstruction

4 REPLIES 4
rubythursday
Community Champion

Re: Masectomy and Reconstruction

Hi - I also have had mastectomy with immediate tram (from my tummy fat) recon - cant say it was a walk in the park, and it is a very long operation but the painkillers are great and I am now just over two weeks out and doing ok. Its a personal decision but I couldn't have implants as have previously had radiotherapy - tbh I wouldn't have gone for implants anyway as they need swapping out very 10 years or so and once I am done with breast cancer I dont ever want to see another surgeons knife ever again! My new boob is pretty good actually and I will be having a lift and slight reduction on the other side when I am done with chemo to make a matching pair - even in a bra now though you really cannot tell, its just my new one is where my old one should have been if I hadn't had three kids!!!

Ruby.x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Topper, sorry about your mx. I've had bilateral but after researching the options decided against recon. I found this site very helpful in thinking about recon generally.
http://www.breastfree.org
It's not an easy decision, but good luck with it.
Lots of love xx

poppyscarlet

Hi I have just had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago with immediate reconstruction in the form of an expander. I am still sore under my arm as I had lymph nodes removed too. I am very pleased with the results, you can hardly tell I have had the op.

I know it will take time as expander has to be inflated over the coming months, but I could not wake up from the operation with nothing there. Everyone is different....Good luck

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Topper

I had a mastectomy in Dec 2006. I had Tram Reconstruction in Dec 2010.
It is a very big op (10 hours). I came through it very well, and after
about 4 weeks was well on the way to full reovery. I am very pleased with my new breast and of course my nice flat tummy. Feel free to ask any questions.

Take care

Carolyn x

Guest user
Not applicable

Masectomy and Reconstruction

Help! I have been told that I hsve to have a masectomy and reconstruction on one of my breasts. I can't decide whether to have a silicone implant or to use the fat and tissue from my tummy. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had either of these procedures.