367505posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masectomy and breast reduction on other breast

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Masectomy and breast reduction on other breast

Hi I had a mastectomy, implant and breast reduction at the same time, December 2014. I was a j cup and so relieved when the surgeon at East Grinstead offered an immediate reduction. The implant boob sits higher and is very pert. The reduced one has already dropped but is still fine. I have settled down to a dd to e cup depending on the make of bra. The natural one is a cup size larger but dressed I look even. Recovery time realistically was a couple of months before I was was up to doing much. In fact I would say about week 20 I really turned the corner. My advice is to take pain medication when you need it. Rest as much as possible. Look after your scars. I regularly used bio oil or vitamin e cream after showering once surgeon gave me go ahead.

I have healed beautifully and I have trouble finding the scar on my reduced boob. The nipple they made smaller and reattached it looks ok but no sensitivity. i had excess skin and fat removed (dog ears) from the sides in October 2015, I also had a nipple made for the implant breast and that was tattooed this week. Although I miss my boobs, I am able to do so much more with smaller boobs. I always try to look for the positive.

When you first see them after the op it may be a huge shock. I know I was horrified as I had 5 boobs! This is due to all the swelling and excess side fat and skin. Unless you are very thin, apparently most women experience "side boobs". I did wear the Macom surgical bra for several months, and still wear it for the gym and days when I am sore. I know it is ok to wear under wired bras but I personally haven't tried yet. Clothes wise I was ok with everything, except my body shape had totally changed due to the reduction so a new wardrobe was required! In the first couple of months avoid scratchy hard clothes as your skin will be sensitive. I wore lots of loose flowing jersey or soft knit tops. It can be difficult to lift both arms in the first few weeks so button up tops unless someone can help you. 

I hope this helps others. I very rarely visit this site now. Do use the site as others stories help.

Hi I was signed off for 2 weeks - no problem at all with the uplift side - though I think it was probably because I had so much pain from the lipofil donor site on my thighs. I was black and blue and in considerable pain even when back at work - because I did not have a lot of fat I have unfortunately sustained permanent nerve damage in my thigh - resulting in a numb area and pretty much constant pain. The fat transfer is not something I would ever consider again - though I do wish the surgeon had reduced my good boob more as I now have a b cup and an almost c cup - which I am very aware of. I would think that if you were just having the uplift that you would be fine after a week at most but everyone is different.

Yvie how long were you off work for? Im due nipple recon on implant side and lift to my good side. Dont need reduction as far as Im aware as I wear a c cup on both sides

Ladies, I had single mx and immediate recon with matrix and implant Feb 14, my good boob was reduced slightly and uplifted in Sept 2014. There is still a size difference in my boobs - the recon took a while to settle down to its final size so seemed much bigger due to swelling for a long while. The uplift and reduction op was a walk in the park compared to the rest.

Kate
I had the same feeling as you I just want to deal with the crappy stuff then sort out the pretty stuff. I am currently modelling a B and a DD known as little and large! Can't say I have been too bothered by the uneveness up to now. Just more concerned by waiting for results on margins etc. Heard yesterday margins are clear!! Whoop whoop. Still got chemo to go but 1 day at a time. I have got an appointment next week to have a temporary prosthesis to even me up. I must admit I hadn't even thought about it in the overall scheme of things. I have just been avoiding stripes and wearing floaty scarves if I felt the need to appear " normal". Thank goodness for cold weather baggy tops and lots of layers 😃
Jan x

Forgot to say I am having a reduction on the non reconstructed side so am currently sporting on B cup and one D cup. The nurse has said she would give me a temporary prosthesis until the reduction is done. For me my priority was getting all the treatment done before aesthetics as I was very concerned about secondary cancer. It cant be that uncommon with the restrictions on the size of implants,we can't be the only large breasted women!

Good look for Thursday, I've just had mastectomy and reconstruction by implant and dermal flap. I was in for 3 days because it was quite painful and I needed morphine but a week on I'm only taking paracetamol. I'm afraid I'm not much help but I just wore the hospital gown and came home in some button front pjs. Button up is much easier than over the head. I would also take some baby wipes to keep fresh, a sponge/flannel and  lip balm.

hope it all goes well for you.

Hi Charlie, \im recently diagnosed, check out the time of this!!! So still in the can't sleep club. I see surgeon 3rd time tomorrow, (Ha today) they want to do mascetomy on one reduction on other Im a HH cup!!! Er no asking them to do both, do these surgoens not have any idea what living with a small and HH cup would be like, for me it has to be both I believe mine will come back in other breast, then what? theve reduced it to match the cancer removed reduced one, then they are chipping away at the other, then they can't alter the cancer removed one due to radiation.Its not for everyone, we all need to do what we think will not only give us the best chance of getter rid of the C but we have to live our lives the way the surgeons leave us, they go onto live theirs, so I wish they would listen to the patients needs and if they want a double masectomy well if it gives them better peace of mind and ultimately saves the NHS on continued monitoring of other and possible treatment, why are they so short sighted? Im lucky my company provides me with the use of private medical care, no we are not rich, we both work full time, but the consultant is more amenable to what I want and it should be same for everyone

good luck on your journey

BlossomHill

Hi. I am also interested in this thread. I had a therapeutic mammoplasty on 2nd December. My tumor was too big for a lumpectomy and there was an additional area for concern shown on my Mir. I am planning on a breast reduction for the other breast in the future. My consultant is suggesting in 12months time. I have an appointment on 5th January for the path and biopsy results so fingers crossed for clear margins.
In terms of recovery I am just over 2 weeks post op and doing more each day. The actual breast wound is healing well and not causing any pain. The node biopsy sight is more problematic but nothing too unbearable.
I had some difficulties initially with finding suitable bras but the ladies on this forum and Amazon to the rescue! I admit to wearing my husbands tshirts over leggings whilst at home but I did don "normal" clothes yesterday when I went to meet friends, for the first time. I have found most tops are ok apart from horizontal stripes. You can really spot my "little & large" then!
I'm sure by now you are well on the way to the next challenge.
Please keep writing and let us know how you are doing.
Jan

Hi Lynne,

I'm sorry you haven't had a response either. I think this confirms my suspicions that there aren't many of us who have a single mastectomy and need a reduction on the other later. Please tell me how it went? I just had a single mastectomy, I want them both off after chemo but my doctor is trying to talk me into a reduction and reconstruction. I would love to hear your thoughts...

Charlie

Hi Lynne1955

I am sorry that you have not had a response yet, hopefully someone will be along very soon.  I hope your surgery was OK and that you are recovering well.  If you have any questions, concerns or worries, please call our fantastic support line who will be glad to hear from you.  0808 800 6000.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Masectomy and breast reduction on other breast

hi all

I go into hospial on Thursday for a masectomy and breast reduction.  Has anyone here had the same surgery.  What was your recovery time? What if any sort of clothing can you recommend.  Very concerned as only recently had hysterectomy for stage 1 ovarian cancer so have back and pelvic problems from this.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks