Masectomy

Hi i had a Masectomy in October 2013, with 3 lymph glands removed. My arm is fine and not swollen at all, but have swelling around my scar and down the side under my arm. Also in this area it is numb from under my arm and all down my side. Is there anyone out ther with the same problem, or information on this. Thanks Carol.

Hello Cal2020,

I had a mx and 8 lymph nodes taken 3 weeks ago today, and I have similar swelling and numbness to what you describe. I do have some pain and some discomfort, and take painkillers when necessary. With me, some of the swelling is fluid, which I’ve now had drained 3 times. The rest is a swelling where the nodes were removed. The breast care nurses I’ve seen when I’ve been to the hospital to have the fluid drained all say everything is fine and the wound is healing well. The numbness is something I’m told will eventually mostly disappear.

As your mx was quite a while ago and the numbness sounds more extensive, I’d suggest you ring your breast cancer nurses. When I’ve done that I’ve usually had to leave a message and one of them has rung me back. Another thought is to ring the BCC help line; I rang when I was in a bit of a state before my mx and found the person I spoke to very helpful, knowledgeable and as though we had all the time in the world.

Hope you manage to speak to somebody soon and can have any worries settled; hope you’ll come back and let us know how you got on.

Gentle hugs, Jo

Hi cal2020,

Welcome to the forum.

As Jo1 mentioned, it might help to give our helpline a call to talk this over.  The opening hours are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator