Masectomy

Hi everybody I feel so useless you are all so positive and I dont feel I can say the right things to support you, Although I was diagnosed back in June Im still learning all the abbreviations and terminology and I find myself back again for some reassurance. Got results from my second round of surgery today had axillary clearance and only one node infected so happy that it has not spread further,the not so good news going to have to go back for masectomy after all because cancer spots found in he second lot of margins taken.  So Im feeling relieved and upset at the same time. I so hate this roller coaster so want to feel myself again. Have decided to wait for reconsruction but unsure if thats the right decision although the consultant says I can change my mind. Any advice thoughts on this.

Hi anx56

I had MX with immediate reconstruction 6 weeks ago and I really do feel that that was the right decision for me. I had the LD flap recon… so over 11 hours in theatre in total (that included ANC too). I woke up with a breast that, although very swollen, still looked like ‘me’. 6 weeks down the line and the scars are all healing nicely, the swelling has gone and mobility is pretty good. The great thing about the LD recon for me was that my new breast really does feel like mine. It’s warm and still has all it’s nerve endings so when I touch it, I can feel it like it’s a real breast. It’s also nice and soft and natural looking.

My thinking when I went for immediate recon was that I wanted to wake up with a breast, and I also wanted as few procedures as possible. It might be a longer op, but you’re asleep so that bit makes no difference really.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to your own feelings about it and you must make a decision that feels right for you. Just thought I’d share my feelings and thoughts that applied to me. x

Hi anx56
Here’s a BCC glossary of terms which may help :

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/glossary

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Bless you.This forum has supported me,when feeling like a wet rag,for want of so better word!dont think you have to be strong and support …your turn will come.Also,I got a bit confused with the abbreviations,googled some of them.Now they are familiar!
I have just had a DIEP…Google that,but not in good place as have seroma in tummy and a leaking area on boob.Hospital tomorrow.Take care.also,gentle hugs

Thank you Jillybee559 and Mel66 you have been very helpful and given me food for thought.  It is good that we can share experiences it certainly does help you to make decisions,and Im sure as you say my time will come to support others. I have to say it is the forums that keep me sane on the days when I feel weird and like this is happening to someone else and not me

BCN said that the oncologists prefer you to not have recon straight away but as we know everyone is different have been given a provisional date for MX for 1st Sept so have time to make up my mind and also decide which type of recon to have. Dont think the DIEP recon (looked it up) one will be suitable because of pre existing scarring due to hysterectomy and emergency appendix, so reading up on all the options.

Im pleased to hear that you are healing well Mel66 its nice when your mobility improves makes a difference to your well being, it sounds like a good outcome if the recon feels like a breast.  

Jillybee559 I wish you well at the hospital tomorrow and hope they sort out the seroma and the leak for you.

Love and hugs to you both xxx

Hi anx56
I was initially told by the BCN that the surgeons not liking to do the recon if radiotherapy was likely due to potential problems. When I was referred to the surgeon I asked him about this. He told me he wasn’t overly concerned about this as he would be placing a good layer of muscle over the implant which he felt would protect it from the effects of any possible radio.

As it happens, I’m just having chemo, no radio. From what I’ve seen on here, radio seems much less prescribed after MX and ANC than it is after a lumpectomy (perhaps because all the breast tissue is removed so less likely to be anything lurking there?)

It may be worth asking your consultant that question if it would help to make a decision? x

Thanks for that advice chillipink and Mel66 what you have both said has helped me to get my head round it a little more.  It certainly is helping me to consider what the options are and make a decision.  I do find however consultants advice does seem to vary when you read others experiences.  I also had to postpone a hip replacement op because I got my diagnosis at the same time.  If I wait fo re-con and have my hip op it means I will have had 6 ops in the space of a year! Certainly getting used to being put out! I suppose having the flat tummy after might be a small bonus in all of this nightmare!  Feeling a little more upbeat this evening… one step at a time!

Thinking of you ladies take care and thanks once again Xx

Feel for you jillybee559 hope you get sorted soon nothing is ever straight forward on this roller coaster! Thinking of you sending positive thoughts your way.  Take care and keep me posted. Just to let you know have date for MX monday week.  Xx