Massive lump removed - now what?

Massive lump removed - now what?

Massive lump removed - now what? Hi,

About two weeks ago I had surgery to have a rather suspcious looking lesion removed. After much stressing, (and a dodgy looking core biopsy) it turned out to be completely benign (hyperplasia without atypia, and a rather large papilloma blocking a duct).

Now that the swelling has gone down after the surgery, I’ve realised just how much tissue has been removed from my breast - the pathology report indicates the section removed was 55mm by 45mm. I’m only a size 10-12A anyway, so this is a huge amount for me, and I obviously don’t have the option of going down a bra size, as smaller sizes don’t exist! I don’t have enough breast tissue left to fill out a bra at all, and the difference is quite noticeable. I feel terrible asking this, considering how many women have had mastectomies and I’ve only had a lump removed, but are there options for some (comparatively minor) reconstructive surgery?

I’d love to hear about your experiences with similar situations.

Thanks,

Larissa x

hi there … Hi Larissa,

You’ve had surgery and you now have a legitimate issue about how your breast looks - I don’t think you need to apologise for that. I do know what you mean about thinking everyone else is in a worse position - I haven’t had surgery (yet) so there you go!

Why not post in the Reconstructive Surgery section here? Many might not be looking in this bit, and might have answers or opinions for you?

The hospital or consultant should also be an early port of call, I’d have thought. Good luck and let us know how you get on, and what you decide to do.

love
susie xx

thanks! Hi Susie,

Thanks for your reply. I did have a look through all the posts at the Reconstructive Surgery forum, but I felt like a bit of an interloper as all the other discussions are about mastectomy recons! I’ll be brave and head on over. Thanks for your support,

Larissa x