Mastectomy Pride Campaign

Hi All

When I was out earlier I saw 2 women wearing pink badges with a smiley face logo and the words “Mastectomy Pride”. I asked one of the women what it was all about;she told me her friend had had an mx and she was wearing the badge to support her and “do something to raise awareness and celebrate that mx is life saving surgery”.she hastily added that she has not had the op herself. As someone who has had mx and knows that it is not a guaranteed price for life this mis-perception always bothers me.I asked if she had thought the idea up herself but apparently it is part of a campaign being run by a woman’s magazine, sure enough i googled it and it was there!

I know I am not the most adjusted re the mx experience - I hate it and it was for me the worst part of the bc experience in that active treatment including chemo etc ends, my hair is growing back and life is superficially normal but my boob won’t grow back and the recon is a disappointment. I certainly can’t say I am proud of having had an mx. I certainly don’t think that women should be sold the line “a mx equals life” because we know tha lumpectomy results are just as good for many women. But I also thought it quite tasteless,is it just me?

I felt quite upset, embarrassed and thought it was a very tactless way to show support for women who have been through mx.I’d be horrified if my friends thought they were supporting me by wearing these badges - I’d rather they made a donation to BCC.

Is it just me?

Love

Jane x

No, it’s not only you, Jane.

That kind of thing isn’t my bag at all, either, altho’ to be fair, I have found other parts of the collateral damage more distressing than the mx.

Even so, it sort of misses the point for me.

X

S

Hi Bahrons

It’s interesting how we all find different parts of the experience most distressing; a friend finds her Tamox SE’s (which are the same as mine) really upsetting whilst they’re not such a big deal for me.

I think the campaign, though probably well meaning is poorly informed and does miss the point. You’d think they would have got some professional input from on of the cancer charities or clinicians before heading off on a campaign to raise awareness of a mis-perception.

Hope all is well with you

Jane x

Hi Jane

I’m pretty good thanks - hope by and large, you are too?

Yes, an MX is an operation that, hopefully, you only have if you really need to.

NOT a mystical experience and certainly nothing to ‘celebrate’!

The website says of mxs ‘They are our badges of honour and courage’
(pause while Bahons barfs up). No, they are a result of plain bad luck.

From this link (takeabreak.co.uk/mastectomy-pride) you can e-mail them your ‘story’…we could use it instead to tell them what we think of this campaign - good or bad - I daresay there are others here who may think it’s a good idea; there is a wide range of opinions on this site, that’s for sure!

X

S

Thanks for the link.
The badges are horrible. I have had a mastectomy but would not want to wear a badge advertising the fact. What makes me proud is that when I wear my prothesis people can’t tell it is false. I think there are far better ways to make people aware of bc issues, to raise money and support people who have bc.
Liz

Hi Liz and Bahrons. Horrible indeed. And misleading if they think mx will save your life - lots of women have mx and still die. Good point B - it’s not a cause for celebration, it’s just bad luck.

I’m okay Bahrons - just miss having a sex life cos I am too wimpy to date with a missing boob.

Love
Jane x

Hi,
I haven’t had a mastectomy so don’t feel qualified to comment on the emotions this proceedure can bring about.

What I would like to know is whether they are sending people these badges free of charge or if they are charging for them, the article just say “click here” which then opens an email for you to request your badge.

If they are charging I would expect to have seen something in the article saying which cancer charity they would be donating the money (and how much of it) to.

Bad Fairy x

I clicked on the link - couldn’t believe the first couple of lines - see below

Mastectomy Pride
Thank God for mastectomies. Why should anyone feel ashamed? They are our badges of honour and courage

Whilst I am not ashamed of my mastectomy I hardly see it as a badge of honour and courage. And as for sending for nice pink badge, where would I pin it, on the prosthesis? LOL

M x

I think it is very poor taste indeed. Am I supposed to go around wearing a badge so everyone who sees me will know?

What were they thinking of? The sentiments are OK, but Mastectomy Pride? Who on earth came up with that? It’s really not something to be proud of. I had it because I needed it, end of story. I wish I didn’t need it.

I wonder if the women on these forums (and there are too many of them sadly) who have been mutilated because of mis-diagnosis or delayed diagnosis feel proud to have sacrificed their flesh due to negligence, lack of duty of care, being fobbed off by GPs, and consultants failing them in the private and public sectors??

I had it because I was TOLD to have it. My surgeon didn’t hold with breast conserving surgery and I figured he knew what he was talking about, sadly I have learned that he didn’t.

Black badges please and no smiles. Will we be marching through London annually like members of Gay Pride do?

Take A Break can Take A Hike.

is there an ‘amputation pride’ or a ‘plastic testical pride’ seriously, I dont get this logic either. But I guess it if helps people to cope, then *shrug*

Nikki

Dear All, Take a Break should be ashamed of themselves.It’s such poor taste,and jumping on the band wagon to sell their magasine.
I’m going to lodge a complaint to the magasine
Leadie

Just getting used to my bi-lateral mx and recons, I’m speechless at this. Cheap, tasteless. Not well thought out.

Would encourage you all to complain to Take A Break, they really should not be allowed to get away with this rubbish
Leadie

this is shocking, cant believe they are getting away with this!!!

I will be complaining and I was fortunate not to need a mastectomy at this stage!!!

We all need to stick together girlies

love

Carol xx

Tasteless and unintelligent - I can’t imagine what people are thinking of.
monica x

Daisyleaf, you have hit the nail on the head! I feel that it is so tasteless and unintelligent that I don’t even want to waste my time and energy in complaining to Take a Break. However I think I will as I’m curious to hear what they have to say for themselves.
Judith
xxx

I have just E mailed the link to this thread to Take a Break magazine, looking forward to a response!

Mx

Same here, just posted, i can just see a bunch of so called jouralists huggled round the table trying to come up with an article before the printing deadline, maybe they should do a baqdge of pride for halfwits ,and thats the polite word

****fwits

I mailed and said I’d hope they’d wear their own badges when their turn comes.

Very unnoble of me but if brains were dynamite these people could not blow their own noses!