cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy, SNB and recon today

14 REPLIES 14
Zuleika

Re: Mastectomy, SNB and recon today

Horseslave, I was just like you post op. So you are normal and you'll come through. I'm home after my recon op. Painful but relieved.
I'm a nurse and often call my colleague weirdos, so you made me laugh 😄
Horseslave

Thanks, perhaps I'm not going mad after all. District nurses been to remove last drain, which wasn't nice and I howled again but they were very sympathetic . They said I was expecting too much of myself at such an early stage and to go easy. The whole thing looks a mess to me, I can't understand how nurses and doctors can say, that's lovely and oooo over wounds. Weirdos. I see breast care nurse Thursday to check on progress, results in two weeks, then plastic surgeon at end of month.
jillybee

A good cry....that helps. Be kind to yourself.You have been through a lot.Not always onwards and upwards.Just go with the flow.Gentle hugs.
Love the comment about some of the patients.I found when going through my surgeries,became less tolerant of some people whinging.I was a nurse,and some days had "lolly pop-stick" days.Just think about popping a lolly pop stick in your mouth, sideways.You then have a permanent smile,when working.take care
lucy12

I'm not surprised you are irritable and emotional - your body and mind have been through a HUGE ordeal.

As Jane has said, a good cry can sometimes help - I feel like I could have filled an ocean since my diagnosis last year and even now have the odd wobbly day. Sometimes a good howl really can give you a physical as well as an emotional release.

Hopefully now you are home, you will be able to rest a bit better and won't have the annoyances of hospital wards. Be kind to yourself and rest when your body tells you to, don't try to fight it.

Lu x

lazy_jane

Sorry to hear your feeling down, but you have been though a lot, it's an emotional ride as well as physical one give your self time. A good cry never did any harm. Sending lots of hugs hope you feel better soon.
Horseslave

Well I finally got discharged yesterday. It was no walk in the park and the whole thing was a shock to be honest. They found a third cancerous area so had to change to nearly only offering the mastectomy. I am lucky, I'm told( not sure about that as I'm not comfortable) that I have the implant that expands in the future. I still have A drain in. Incredibly sore, stiff and tired, very low mood. Conflicting advice is starting to wind me up. Breast care nurse gave me this band to keep implant in place to wear around me, plastic surgeon comes along and says I can't wear it as skin so fragile and thin. Got irritable and fed up in hospital having to tolerate listening to silly neurotic women coming in wasting doctor and nurse time with little twinges that turn out to be wind or pain from being too fat! I kid you not! There are some incredibly stupid people out there.
The nurses were amazing, I was sick on one of them, poor woman, the doctors too were gentle and caring towards me. I couldn't ask for better care. I feel so miserable and low and don't know why?! Constantly crying. Biopsy results etc in two weeks, so should be onwards and upwards, shouldn't it?
lucy12

Hi Horseslave (LOVE the name by the way, I am also slave to a horse!)

Hoping it all went as well as possible yesterday and you're beginning your recovery.

Love and hugs

Lu xx

Dee-Jay

Hi hope everything went well for you. Sending hugs x

CelticK

Hope everything went well xx
Jaye

Hi Horseslave

Hope your op is over and went well

Jaye x

Kalo

All the best for today, hope it will be over for you now.
Take care xx
gemini22

All the best for today - it will soon be over and the healing can begin

L x

lazy_jane

Wishing you all the best, glad my op was in the morning didn't have ot starve all day.

Blue23

All the best for today Horseslave, my surgery was a week ago and am waiting for results now !

Are you staying in overnight then if you are later today 

xx

Horseslave

Mastectomy, SNB and recon today

Seems like yesterday that I was diagnosed ( was only the start of April) just had breakfast and will be getting mastectomy on one side with silicone reconstruction done and a sentinel node biopsy, much later today.
Feeling fortunate to have not had to have months of chemo before I can even have the operation, there's always someone else having a far worse ordeal, is what I remind myself.