Mastectomy advice please

Hello. Just diagnosed with stage 1, low/intermediate grade, they believe non-invasive, surgery will confirm. Would very much appreciate some practical advice from anyone who has recent experience of mastectomy (single, I think they called it "simple’ mastectomy). I shall not be having reconstruction. I have read various leaflets and online information (all from I think reliable Uk sources) but each one gives quite different advice about hospital atays and recovery times. From1-5 days then anything from 3-6 weeks. With so much to organise for the family (and dogs!) in the next 10 days and a husband who has to work away from home frequently it would be very helpful to receive some guidance from any ladies or gentlemen with personal experience about how long it took them to physically feel able to get on with day to day family life, approaching normally. I do appreciate that everyone is different but the ‘official’ information is all a bit confusing. I have been allocated a lovely nurse but I know how busy she is with people whose needs are much more pressing so would really appreciate hearing from any ladies or gentlemen recently recovered or in the recovery process. I am 50 and otherwise very fit and well. Many thanks for reading.

Hi Cathy - I had a single mastectomy without reconstruction and was just in overnight.  I was the first patient in theatre, so had op about 8 30am and went home after lunch the next day.

I had my sentinel node removed as well to see if there were any traces of cancer in it - not sure if you will have that or not, if you have confirmed DCIS?

I was very lucky in that my surgeon doesn’t use drains - they seem to be the thing that causes ladies the most discomfort post-op.

The site of the actual mastectomy, pain wise, wasn’t too bad - I found my arm was worse though, from the SNB removal.  Exercises do help though.

I’d say it took me four weeks to feel pretty normal again but it doesn’t impede you that much before.  I was advised NO driving for at least four weeks too but I think others on here didn’t wait that long (I did).  It depends how comfortable /confident you feel.

I had my surgery on 9 January.

Big hugs,

Seren xx

Thanks so much Seren: that’s really helpful. At this point I understand it to be non-invasive, the surgeon said he was pretty confident but with the proviso that he couldn’t be absolutely certain until surgery , which I understand completely. He and the nurse exuded confidence though, so I am feeling the same. I don’t think I shall be having any nodes looked at, I’m not sure actually? Maybe they do so as a precautionary measure? Well that’s something to ask about on Friday so thank you very much for that too. My best wishes to you and may you continue to go from strength to strength .

Sorry, sorry Seren! Could I ask one more practical thing please? Bras. I usually wear sports bras for comfort and support but theyre arms up, over the head jobs and I’m assuming that will be tricky for a while. Presumably investing in some front fasteners to take in is the best thing to do? Sorry, in the grand scheme a trivial but guess necessary consideration. Thank you!

Hi Cathy,

Many of the other ladies have offered all good stuff about what to expect post operatively.

Just wanting to add my 2p’s worth :).

Take your time the first week after surgery, it will be sore but you will be able to get about the house. Get help with chores as even though you might feel fine in yourself, you have had a fair chunk of surgery so remember that! If drains are going to be used they get in the way so ask your nurse if they will give you a little bag to carry it around with you otherwise you can buy one from places like the ‘drain dollies’ website, some of the money goes to charity.

When the drain is removed you might get some additional oozing/bleeding just keep an eye on it and have plenty of replacement dressings in mind as you may need to change them. I know I did, annoying that they were!! :slight_smile: District nurses can also help with that.

Do do the exercises recommended by the various UK breast surgery websites, or your physio. Little and often works best.

I am driving after 2/3 weeks after surgery but I admit it does tug when putting it into 5th gear. 

You might find walking the dogs in the first week a challenge as standing upright pulls your chest muscles so you might just find it tiring if you are out for long walks (if that makes sense) but it’s also psychologically beneficial to try and get out of the house to get yourself out of your thoughts. 

Every day which goes by you will notice big improvements in your recovery so make the most of it.

You really will be fine, just be mindful to ask for help for chores around the house - I know I did and I was a regular gym goer before my surgery!!!

Lots of love,

Ali xx

Ali (2 Alis maybe?), Seren and Pumpkin. Thank you all so much: incredibly useful stuff - some that hadn’t even occurred to me - that’s going to be important day to day but that you don’t really like to trouble the nurse about. Love and best wishes Cathy

No sorry, just one Ali. Havent quite figured the site out yet.

Hi Cathy,

Two night stay
In on a Tuesday - nuclear injection
Wednesday - blue dye injection, mastectomy (without reconstruction) and sentinel node removal (2 nodes)
Thursday - home (without drain as it fell out)
Subsequent pain - minimal (did not need any pain medication)

Good luck with everything. X

Hi Cathy.  I am 51, fit and well pre dx, and had a radical mx with removal of the pec muscle on my dominant (right) side at the end of November last year.  Physically, I have recovered well.  I was out of hospital the day after (home for lunch if I’d had any appetite) and didn’t have a drain either. I had a pelvic laparoscopy before my mx and the effects of that slowed me down far more than the mx itself in the first fortnight. I was doing household stuff within a week (mostly to give some structure to my day), walking the dog (but not driving - did that 2 weeks post op -or in charge of the lead) in under a week and easing myself back into the gym 3 weeks to the day post op. 

To begin with, I used both arms when vacuuming up dog hair (!), but it was actually good physio for my affected arm.   I hit a bit of a wall 4 days post op and was very weepy and tired, but going out for an hour’s walk with the dog really helped lift my mood.  

I would say that you need someone home with you for the first week because, as you say, everyone is different and you don’t know how you will feel.  I was a surgery virgin and and no idea how I would respond to a GA, let alone the mx.  My OH was home for two weeks post surgery, but mostly as a safety net.  In the end, the physical side was do-able and the emotional side is a work in progress.   

I bought post surgery bras (M&S so I could fit them myself before surgery), but was ridiculously excited to be back in an underwired bra last month - back in the drawer while I have rads, sadly.  I won’t be having a recon, so it’s important to me to find a foob and bra that works.  PM me if you want more info.  I didn’t wear anything supportive for a couple of weeks post op (a bit challenging for a 34DD monoboob) and then mostly a vest with support shelf unless I was going out somewhere I needed to have 2 boobs. I go to the supermarket without a prosthesis thanks to a scarf and padded coat ? 

I read the '‘what to take into hospital’ thread on the surgery board which was incredibly helpful. I had everything I needed.  Front opening pjs are important for the first week or so as raising your affected arm will be difficult.  After that, do the exercises, listen to your body and do what feels right for you.  I had seroma build up in the week after my op.  It felt very strange and uncomfortable sloshing around, even though I was numb, and I had it drained at my 1 week post op check up. I was worried it would come back but I was fortunate and it didn’t reach a point where I felt I wanted it drained again.  

Big, but gentle, hug.  Tat xx

Thanks so much Tat, after the kids, the dog’s been causing me most concern but we’ve got her organised now! Undies bought, house cleaner than its been in years and cooking up a storm, just waiting to go in next week. They are going to take a couple of nodes too, which I gather is pretty standard, but it all seems to be straightforward. I did start to read various what to exoect afterwards pages but decided in the end, what will be will be and we’ll just take it as it comes.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply and I’m sending you and everyone
Very best wishes as you continue to go from strength to strength. Cathy

Hi Cathy.  It really helps to have thought through the next few weeks and to know you’ve done everything you can to prepare, then you can channel all your energy to coping with the emotional aspects of your dx and surgery and physical recovery.  My husband’s employer was very understanding and offered all the flexibility he felt he needed.  You’d hope any employer would offer compassion in these circumstances, but I know that’s not always the case.  Mentally I found it very helpful to know that my OH was at home to deal with everything so I could just catch up on sleep when I needed to and just not have to watch the clock re meals, etc, but I could do as much as I felt I wanted to, which was quite a lot (boredom!), but it did vary day by day. 

Keep eps posting and let us know how you get on.  Tat xx

Hi Jane.  I bought my bra in the store before my op and fitted it myself, but I am sure the staff would be able to help/advise. I wouldn’t fit a bra with a softie - the first thing my BCN did was take about half the stuffing out before trying it in my bra and then I fiddled with it a lot before I was (sort of) hapy with it!  

When I had my proper prosthesis fitting the fitter did it in one of her bras (the type I would never buy - patterned, seamed, quite old fashioned - but it did give a good shape and made it very obvious which prostheses suited me best.  I also realised I needed to go down a cup size without my lumpy boob, so I was glad I hadn’t spent much on mx bras by that stage.  The prosthesis also mimics the weight of a breast better than a softie, so you’ll get a much better fit if you can wait until you have the permanent prosthesis, imho.

Hope that helps and I’m sure someone with lymphoedema advice will be along soon x

Hi Jane, was at the clinic today signing forms etc and i was given a very good leaflet about how to minimise the risk of lymphedema and what to look out for/seek advice about etc. If I was clever I could give you a link but I’m not. Its somewhere here on the BCC website though in PDF form or your nurse should be able to give you a copy. Cathy x

Youre quite right of course, Tat, guess I was being a bit of an ostrich! I’ve read everything I’ve been given on what to expect now - some of it sounds pretty daunting but I guess we have to know about worst case complications and what to keep an eye on. My husband has arranged to work from home for at least a week which as you say is a real comfort and can’t say how delighted I was to be told that a district nurse will call in to check on my drain etc for a few days after discharge, which was unexpected but fantastic. I’m as practically prepared with family, home etc. as I can be I think and just counting down now, trying to be patient. Thank you for all of your advice. Cathy x

Sorry Jane, title would help wouldnt it!

“Breast Cancer Care: Reducing the risk of Lymphoedema”

You can download it at www.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications

Cathy

Glad your other half is taking Time off, Cathy. Now let him take the strain of family life a little.  You’ve done a lot to prepare, but don’t keep putting yourself last!  I hope you sail through the op and recover well physically and emotionally, but it’s all a complete unknown and I found the feelings come in waves.

waiting for results is so hard, Jane.  I find keeping busy helpful, even mundane tasks that don’t need much thought!  If the weather is OK a walk is a good option.  The blossoms are coming out on the trees and dads and crocuses are out, so Spring is on its way.  Let us know how you get on xx

The dads may be out, but so are the daffs!!

I’m so sorry to hear that, Jane.  If there’s one thing harder than waiting, it’s moving goal posts :frowning:  I had lots of delays between my diagnosis and op, but I convinced myself I would prefer them to be thorough than fast and I think that helped…  Can you plan some treats for next week to give you nice things to look forward to rather than watching the clock tick down to appointment day?  I’m pleased you got out in the sun today with your pooch and friend.   I did the same and felt almost normal (shhh, don’t say that too loud in case someone who knows me laughs!).  Sending hugs, tat xxx

Hello everyone,

Back home after mastectomy and sentinel node plus 1 removal. going well I think. Pain not too bad at all, except when I catch the drain and hit the ceiling, lol. fluid a little on the high side still but nonetheless coming diwn and hopefully drain removed tomorrow. Only slight concerns are blurry vision and blood oressure which is still too low: I lost a lot of blood I’m told, in theatre 3 1/2 hours rather than expected 2 or so as it was difficult to stop. Consequently bp 70/40 in recovery and took a while to climb. 4 days on now and top (can never remember what each is called) is fine at 110 but bottom still low at 51. Reading, i see that both are fairly common results of surgery so I wonder if anyone else can tell me if they experienced these and how long it took for both to return to normal: also any tips on bringing it back up other than drinking plenty, taking vitamin b12 and adding a little extra salt. Ive had 3 very kind district nurses checking the drain, none of whom were overly concerned but I’m a bit fed up with feeling blurry and dopey! Also, how quickly did you teturn to - moderate to begin with - exercise. Each nurse has had a different opinion (one suggesting a walk into town 2 days post op but another saying I should be mostly resting and only attempting the first 3 shoulder exercuses for a week. I don’t want to either not do enough or push it too hard and cause problems either way. I will be getting my pathology report next Friday and don’t really want to bother my breast nurse with anything before then (she is lovely but obviously very busy) so the benefit of anyone’s experience would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading. Cathy.

Hi Cathy mine is low always and had same issue post surgery. I had these big Velcro sleepy things attached to both legs and a machine squeezing my legs every 60 seconds for 24 hours to try and help. Drain in one arm drip in other all 4 limbs useless!, mine sits at between 95/100 and 50/55. Have you tried lying down regularly with legs elevated as you would if you fainted? I was told once drain out the first set of shoulder exercises were fine 3x a day, nothing til drain out. Hope you soon feel better love Sarah xx