cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy fear

11 REPLIES 11
Flint

Re: Mastectomy fear

Glad to hear you are feeling chipper. Like you I wanted to look as soon as possible and when the dressings came off I looked straight away too.

Best wishes for your recovery.

whitelily

Well done I am glad this bit is over for you sometimes the fear is worse than the reality. Onwards and upwards take care and rest up x

Emma111

Thank you everyone. Well after all my anxiety it finally happened! Left side mascectomy at 9am this morning! Much easier than the node clearance last month that's for sure! I have very much surprised myself with how well I've coped emotionally today. Had a sneak peak with one **bleep** eye and one squint eye first ...then went for it ...whipped my top off and saw the chest wall and remaining boob in all its glory! Didnt feel squeamish, didn't feel even sad. I literally looked and thought, you know what; didn't want any of this but I can still walk, I can still talk, I still have use of my arms. I've still got radiotherapy in 6 weeks where no doubt I'll be 'down' again and 10 years if armidex which sounds miserable. ..... but for now I'm actually happy I feel happy for not feeling sad, if that makes sense!! The surgeon said some women take weeks/ months or even years to look at scars so put no pressure on myself ...... he clearly didn't know how nosey I am ..and too right I was going to check out how neat he has been!
Flint

Hi Emma

I can echo what others have said. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it was going to be. I slept on my back part propped up and with a pillow under my arm, that helped. The worse bit was when the nerves started knitting together and I got sudden darting pains -about 10 days after the op I think but it's good to know things are healing up even if the sudden pain makes you jump.

We all know how you feel, Good luck for your op and  best wishes

Emma111

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice xx
Treeze

Thinking of you and sending love Emma x
Powdow

Hi Emma111, I echo what Whitelily has said, I had mx with Diep recon and full axilla clearance and I didn't feel any pain. My tummy and boob were numb. I took all the pain relief going (even though I've been told by a surgeon in the past that I have a high pain threshold, I wasn't taking any chances!) The main problem was from the axilla clearance, that was very uncomfortable.
Fast forward to now 10 weeks post op and I'm great. Boob a bit tender but I'm also in middle of rads so guess that's causing it.
Good luck x
whitelily

Hi Emma111 it really isn't as bad as you think it will be as a lot of the area can feel numb afterwards I would say the worst part was having the lymph nodes removed and arm discomfort from that. Believe it or not I was discharged the morning after and when I got home I got the Hoover out. I was doing the hoovering with the drain in one hand and Hoover in the other! Not that I am advising you to do this and I shouldn't have done it but I find it hard to sit down when things need doing... Just to reassure you that it's really not that bad just take regular painkillers and rest and you will be fine x

birdgirl63

Dear Emma

So sorry to hear about your rotten luck and you are entitled to feel anxious and apprehensive - who wouldn't? I had my mastectomy 4 weeks ago and yes, it's been painful afterwards, but managable!  I took Nurofen and Paracetamol alternately and stuck to the highest daily dose on both for about 3 weeks.  Some nights I also took Codeine (have the prune juice at the ready as this will constipate you).  My drain came out after 12 days, but some people only have it for a few days and everyone is different.

I am still sleeping on my back with a pillow underneath my knees and calves as I found my heels were getting sore from lying on my back and despite never having been able to sleep on my back I am sleeping really well. It's now 4 weeks after the OP and I'm reducing the painkillers gradually. Whenever I can I go out into nature and have been away for a few days which did me the power of good physically and mentally.

On the positive side a mastectomy usually gives you the certainty that all the cancer in that breast has gone. No more horrible mammograms on an injured breast.  And I think it's probably easier to cope with full prothesis rather than partial ones?  But I'm not that far down the journey yet.

Hope all goes well for you!  Sleep lots and take care!   xxxx

Emma111

Thank you. I go from being petrified to 'pull yourself together, many women go through this'!! Its just taking time to get my head around it as thought I was done and dusted after lumpectomy!x
jillybee

Pain yes,agony no.....ensure you take regular paracetomol,and you may even be offered Ora morph.Take it.Have a pillow for when you get home to have under your arm....Gentle hugs.

Emma111

Mastectomy fear

Following chemo I had my lumpectomy and axcillary node clearance last week. Horrified to discover the pathology results showed cancer still in 2 nodes and although cancer not visible on mammogram or ultrasound I've been advised pathology results indicate scattered cells still present in breast so advised to have a mastectomy. Is there a lot of pain involved?? Will it be absolutel agony after?