cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy following chemotherapy - practical advice please

3 REPLIES 3
RunNicNacRun

Re: Mastectomy following chemotherapy - practical advice please

Hi Tracey, I can relate to you and your fears and worries about the mastectomy. I feel for you and everything you are going through. I am similar to you in that I had bilateral lumpectomy followed by chemo and now booked in for bilateral mastectomy for mid May. It is really scary. I thought I have been so strong throughout but now the enormity of the next op has hit me. I do find the BCC helpline excellent. Have rungtwice now and they have been fab. I also read about mindfulness since I was diagnosed. Def worth a look. Where are you having your op? X
keeks

Hi Tracey

sounds like you are in a very dark place. I am unemployed as well, have been since Nov. I even went on a couple of interviews after I found out. Denial I suppose. 

Having a lot of time to think is not always a good thing. You get so stuck in your own head. 

I don't like to share these thoughts with my partner, but I find a rant on here helps. For me if feels like the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

you cam PM me anytime you want to vent .

take care

keeks

Lucy_BCC

Hi Tracey

I am sorry to read are feeling so low, I wonder whether you have heard of our 'Someone like me' support service, it may help to talk things through with someone who has had a similar experience and you can do so via email or telephone, here's the link to further information :

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk/one-one-support

Our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

TracyTriumph

Mastectomy following chemotherapy - practical advice please

Hi,

I'm due to have a mastectomy in mid-May, following two lumpectomys which didn't get clear margins and following chemotherapy due to finish on the 8th of April.

As I'm coming to the end of my chemo and facing the next hurdle of further surgery, I'm really frightened.

I'm 46 years old, engaged to a very supportive man, no children, and currently unemployed due to being made redundant a week before I found the lump in my breast.

I feel frustrated, depressed, worried, and completely terrified about how I'm going to feel psycologically post surgery.

I've always been able to fix everything in my life by sheer power of will, but I can't fix this or make it better.  I feel completely lost and scared.