cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy how painful

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: Mastectomy how painful

Sorry meant to reply to Jackie and others re horse care etc. I am at a livery yard where you pay the owner to do the work if you cant. Wouldnt go down well to get someone else in ! Unfortunately dont know anyone who would do it anyway as yard out in the sticks and fairly remote. I am arranging for one nag to be looked after on full livery, trying to get the other out as a companion animal but wrong time of year!
Posted on another thread re visit to decide on recon or not. Decided no at present due to wanting to get out and about asap. Not impressed by false breasts though. Still quite in shock, wont believe its happening until ive actually had the op. MUst admit still wibbling about having it done at all. Been out riding this morning and tried to focus on the fact that only having one boob wont affect my riding!

Highlighted

Hi Horsemad

I don't know where you live so you may have to order on the phone/online. I actually went to Nicola Jane the first time and bought a couple of bras and a comfy prosthetis as I intended to dance the Saturday after I came out and as I am/was a 36C I knew that a softee from hospital would not stay in place. After that I never looked back I never worn the softee from hospital it did nothing. The best place for bras is from Amoena, very pretty and the service is excellent.

You feel that you can't wear anything but it is so surprising that you just adapt. I purchased loads of different coloured cami tops and with the little cardys you get know it looks great. If you get a good bra you can still wear low tops, I was amazed.

Like the others have said the silicon ones you get from the breast cancer nurse are changing all the time and my hubby couldn't always remember which was which, you can put these in normal bras.

Take care
Bevx

Hi Horsemad
I had my mastectomy years ago and was up and about the next day. I had a photo taken of me with both arms up in the air so that my sisters could see that I wasn't too badly affected (movement wise anyway). I didn't have a recon so it was just a matter of waiting for the drains to be taken out.I opted to stay in hospital until they were clear as I didnt fancy being at home with drain bottles since I knew I would try to get back to normal no matter what was hanging out off me. LOL

Pain wise there was no problem at all and I only took a few paracetamol for the first couple of days but I didn't really need them that much. I was given a 'softee' while still in he hospital -this is a vaguely breast shaped, stuffed, pad that you slip into your normal bra.This has a life of its own so needs to be kept in check with safety pins.

The most surprising thing I found after the op was that my upper arm was completely numb from chest almost to elbow. I dont think this was mentioned by anyone before the op and I just wasnt expecting it -even though I had a complete axilla clearance.

I have worn my normal type of underwired bras with a fullish cup since my op and not had much of a problem .I tried the pocketed variety but didnt get on with them but there is a huge variety and its down to personal choice in the end.

I started driving about 2 weeks post op ( I know ,I'm bad but I was stir crazy and it was just pottering about) and I did my exercises every day -in fact I still do them but now its unconciously -and have no movement problems at all.

Good luck -keep reading these forums (fora?) and you will be fine

ps Nearly forgot to add that prosthetics are improving all the time .I have a adhesive variety now which I like as it nearly always stays where it was put. But at first you will need to heal so you'll have the softee for a while .Later you will graduate to a more lifelike silicon version and may get a stick on depending on your skin condition.

Highlighted

Where do you get the bras do you have to go to a special place? ALso what are the prosthetics like?

Highlighted

Hi Horsemad
Just thought I would add a few comments. I had mastectomy December 06 and it is a shock when you first find out but like the others say we are still here. Been strong and positive and you can do almost anything. I was back at work after the 2 1/2 weeks they sign you off, I was actually driving the day after I came out, naughty but I could do it so I did. Re what you will look like, when dressed everybody told me I look great, in fact better than before as I made a greater enough, and when I look back at pictures you would not believe I only had one real one. Get the right bras and you can still wear clothes you did before.
Take Care
Bevx

Highlighted

Good idea jacqc. Where do you live horsemad? I wonder if anyone on here lives nearish you and knows someone as suggested above.

Highlighted

Hi Horsemad
How many horses do you have? Are you at a livery yard where other owners may help you? It is the worst time of year for this to happen for you isnt it. I was worried like you about how I would cope with everything, 2 kids, 2 dogs and horses (I own 1 but care for 4). My first op was in January this year and the second op was June when they were turned out 24 hour and it all, somehow, all worked out. Do you perhaps know a horse mad teenager who wants to earn a few quid who can be overlooked by a responsible person you trust.

You will be well looked after in hospital by the nursing staff etc. so try not to worry too much about it, go prepared with some little comforts. My ipod and my mobile phone were my main comforts. Jackie x

Highlighted

Hi Horsemad

I understand that this is a very worrying time for you and you are finding things very difficult to come to terms with. You might find it helpful to give the helpline a ring to discuss treatment options and results.

They are also very happy just to be a listenting ear if you feel it will help to offload.

The number is 0808 800 6000 and the opening times are:

Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
Saturday, 9am - 2pm

I hope you find this of some help

Kind regards

Louise
Facilitator

Highlighted

Hi,
have been reading the thread. I dont know anything about horses other than 4 legs and tails etc but I understand your concern about their care. I've been thinking of any options that mat help.
Could the local RSPCA help, perhaps volunteers needing experience or you could try The Cinnamon Trust, they are a charity to help older people (I apologies I dont know your age) to assist them to continue looking after their pets. It might be worth a phone call. They have a web site.

Good Luck
Ruth

Highlighted

Jackie, glad to hear you can do your horses, quite worried about this as cant afford to pay full livery charges and horses are in because of their breed. Being out doorsy type being in hospital (which I have never done)also fills me with fear and dread. The whole thing has overwhelmed me,I think because hopefully it is DCIS and might spread, not definite, I feel more that I dont want treatment,

Highlighted

I had a mastectomy two and a half years ago and didnt opt for reconstruction at the same time. I was absolutely fine after the op, no pain whatsoever, and no pain since - this was probably due to all the nodes being removed at the same time which causes numbness under the arm and at the top of the arm. As for carrying things I carried on as before and suffered no ill effects. The scar is now just a white line, obviously it does look a bit odd being completely flat on one side but who cares, as long as I'm still here I sure dont. Good luck for the future.

Highlighted

Hi I had a mastectomy last October. In and out in less than 24hours. I had a drain in for 5 days.I also had a clearance but no pain whatsoever. My surgeon said there would be no pain and he was right.Be kind to yourself and dont overdo things. It is still strange having only one boob but my scar is ok. Once I healed I used Bio Oil to massage and it does even out the colour.
Good Luck and keep smiling.
Marion xx

Highlighted

Hi Horsemad from a fellow horse owner.

I had a mastectomy and immediate LD recon, so my recovery was much much longer than a mastectomy, and I was back doing everything around the yard after 7-8 weeks. I hope this re-assures you a little. I was able to potter about the yard as soon as I got home from hospital, a week after my op, and left my daughter to do the heavy stuff at first. I was told by my surgeon and physio that I cannot do any damage and to exert myself within my limits, but to push it a little further each time.

Good luck with everything.
Jackie x

Highlighted

Hi

I had a bilateral mastectomy last year and it wasnt as bad as I thought it was goin to be, I dont even remember taking pain killers at home! maybe I did but I dont think I did.....so try not to worry yourself........I was back at work 7 weeks after my operation it was fine......so dont worry, my advice tho is to take as much time as you need to heal dont rush as it will make recovery longer.....and accept all those offers of help for as long as you need it.......hopefully your friends and family will rally around helpin you with your horses.....

good luck with your op :-) x

Highlighted

I forgot to say......you can drive again after a few weeks. You will be given exercises that will help because you will find that your affected arm will be a little difficult to raise up, so you slowly do exercises that will help that. You will also be told to avoid doing repetative things, lift heavy objects etc with that arm but I will be totally honest now.....I don't bother and do exactly the same as I've always done.

This of course is if you have lymph node clearance as well as the mastectomy. Has that been discussed?

Sheana

Highlighted

Hi,

Ive just posted on your other thread.......take a few deep breaths and calm down.

I had very little pain after surgery, honestly........I had to have a drain in for a few days but again, there was no pain involved. The scar is naturally, what a scar looks like after an operation but it fades and mine has given me no problems whatsoever.

You really have to try and slow your mind down.........it's honestly not as bad as you imagine. Any my god, it's worth it.

Sheana x

Highlighted

Mastectomy how painful

Its pretty sure I will have to have a mastectomy and I im terrified.
of the surgery the pain and what the scar will be like, and how I feel feel about it when I see only one breast. Also how long beforer I can drive or start doing things like lifting and carrying. Ive got horses to look after and at this time of year its mucking out dragging haynets and water buckets about and generally very physical work.