1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy - no drain or dressing

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Mastectomy - no drain or dressing

Hi All, I am new to the forum.  I had mastectomy with SNB on Tuesday 2 days before my birthday 😞  no drain and padding with binder over the top came home same day.  Been ok 🙂 slightly sore just the fluid doesn't look like it's going away and then coming back just looks like it's there all the time 😞

Hi I had db mx nearly 3 years ago and had 2 drains one either side for a few days! The worst thing I found was getting out of bed and forgetting I had them in! 😳you have to carry them everywhere with you!!! I have just had DIEP reconstruction and had 4 drains in! They are there to do a job and will reduce the risk of seroma afterwards! Good luck!
Some ladies have a special bag to carry them round in I just carted mine round in plastic carrier bags!😂
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi max, I had a drain with my lumpectomy . Mine came out after 5 days because the fluid draining was less than 30mls. In 24 hours. Hope this helps. Good luck. X

Hi I'm not sure how this forum works, I'm have a mastectomy and reconstruction in 2 weeks and I was just wondering about the drain that I've been told I will have, how Long for? And how big is it? Thanks max

Hi I'm not sure how this forum works, I'm have a mastectomy and reconstruction in 2 weeks and I was just wondering about the drain that I've been told I will have, how little no for? And how big is it? Thanks max

Ha love auto correct, didn't check before I posted!!

"Criminalises" haha good old auto correct text!,

Had post op check up yesterday, scar is healing well, they drained 150ml of seroma and it feels much better and less like a blister on my chest. The fluid may return but I am continuing exercises and criminalizes of water.

Hi not sure how long it lasts for. My BCN suggested hugging a pillow to put gentle pressure on it which help, mine seems to reduce if I do this and lie flat on the bed and rest, I try to have a rest most afternoons. It reduces overnight but if I start to do too much with my arm I can feel fluid running back in.

Also my GP said drink lots of water in the day, at least 2 litres to flush it through system. I have cut caffeine to just 2 cups of tea a day too.

I am seeing Consultant tomorrow and they said they may drain it if it still big but it seems better than before.

Today I have managed to put a soft bra on. I got one from Peacocks for about 8 quid, elasticated with removable pads each side, wide straps and stretchy and comfortable. Hoping the slight pressure over mx area will help reduce seroma.

Best wishes

Heather

I had a right mastectomy 5 weeks ago and also had anaphylactic reaction to blue dye all fine now . I have got quite a large seroma which feels like a hot water bottle strapping to my chest it isn't affecting the exercises but wondered how long the body takes to absorb this fluid

I am fine today. No itching or anything. Still got blue wee! Morphine last night let me sleep for 10 hours and just paracetamol today. Feel better than I thought I would but finding it difficult not to do anything. Hope you are ok too.

Heather

Hi Raitchr,
I had mastectomy and no drains on same day as you! I did okay on isotope dye, but just had to go to A&E to have pain buster tube removed as it got stuck! Have you had any phantom itching? The nipple that us no longer there keeps itching! Hope you recovering well! Ali x

Mastectomy - no drain or dressing

Hi had mastectomy yesterday. Had no drain or dressing. Apparently scar recovers better this way but maybe a bit oozy.

Did have bad reaction to blue dye for sentinel node biopsy,  had blue rash like a smurf and bp went crazy, said it was anaphylactic reaction. Had to stay in overnight but ok today, just tired.