cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy or Lumpectomy I can't decide

24 REPLIES 24
nicho58

Re: Mastectomy or Lumpectomy I can't decide

Hello everyone, thank you all for your messages!  We had a blast on holiday in Italy.  We go every year and we have some wonderful friends there.  I was surprised at how I was able to 'forget' about the BC and enjoy myself.  I am so glad that I went.  So back to reality now!  I am spending this week doing mundane things like housework and sorting things out as I need to have everything 'up to-date' before my surgery next week (borderline OCD hahaha!).  So it's the radio active injection on Tuesday and mastectomy on Wednesday.  How is everyone else doing?? 

GiulianaB

Hi Eileen,   I m due for lumpectomy soon. Can I ask you:h...

Hi Eileen,

I m due for lumpectomy soon. Can I ask you:how has the sensitivity of your breast changed?

This is something I am very concerned about.

Thanks

G

GiulianaB

I was dignosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in April (2...

I was dignosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in April (2.8 x 2.6) grade 3. i was told it was going to be mastectomy. I went through 6 chemo fec-t and after the 5th chemo it had shrank to cm1. There is no need for mastectomy now. I m due for surgery on 5/11.

GiulianaB

I was dignosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in April (2.8 x 2.6) grade 3. i was told it was going to be mastectomy. I went through 6 chemo fec-t and after the 5th chemo it had shrank to cm1. There is no need for mastectomy now. I m due for surgery on 5/11.

Anniewol

Hi Nicho

I had a holiday and a couple of weekends away planned at the time I was diagnosed, so waited 6 weeks, had the mastectomy and 6 nodes taken away when I got back which was in May.  Really enjoyed the time away although have to admit it was on my mind but didn't spoil anything.  Do your exercises when you have had the operation, they really get everything moving when you do them. Amazing how quickly you get the movement back but you have to persevere. Am now on Letrozole and not liking the side effects and wished I had had a double MX for preventative reasons. THere are a couple of good web sites for bras - some quite fancy which I found I needed as some of the post surgery bras didn't make me feel very feminine - Amoena and Nicola Jane.  Will be thinking of you x

delly

Hi Lynne - am giving you a well deserved Delly AMAZING award xx  Take care and don't try to do too much too soon tho - these things have a habit of catching you up and off guard - pace yourself and keep yourself plugged into the battery charger just in case   xx

Lynne1955

Definately a good decision.  I went on holiday for two weeks got back Friday and had masectomy and slb on following Thursday.  Now 4 days after feel fine and very little pain.  Good luck xx

delly

GOOD  to the hol me dear. Where are you off to ?? Go on - make me jealous.  Got any room in your case for a little skinny 'un? Am low maintenance - just throw me a piece of bacon or a sardine occassionally and hook me up intravenously to a wine drip !!

Enjoy every minute and if I don't speak to you sooner - Hope all goes well with your op in Nov darlin. (Don't know why I'm saying that really because I'm going to be seeing you on Friday - AREN'T I NICHO !!!!)

Doolally xx 

nicho58

Hi everyone, thanks for the messages.  I haven't been on here for a while as I felt I just needed a break from it all.  I go away Friday and surgery is 18th November.  Wishing everyone well.

delly

Just popped in to say "HI" and hope you are all doing well with decisions, treatments and healing.

Plus Nicho - have a brill holiday. You'll be well rested and fed - better able to face anything.

Sending well wishes and healing thoughts to you all

Delly xx 

Les53

Hi Sue

hope you are feeling well after your mastectomy I have to say I am scared to death although relieved I've made the decision. Chemo is the next thing for me as I'm HER2 positive ......... Next scary thing! Where are you from, I'm in Leeds xxx

Sue54

Had my mastectomy this week. Its a very personal decision and out of six of us two were having the mastectomy.  For me it was right because I had to emotionally clear one thing at a time in my mind and didnt want to risk having to go back for surgery on the breast again. I can see the advantages of the lumpectomy my operation is far more painful in these early days. I though needed the clear space between this and possible chemotherapy. Do hope by now youve decided its 80% of the battle. Only post operation did the surgeon tell me I had taken the right decision for me so its lovely that your not pressurised by the system. All the very best Sue

Les53

Hi all, nicho I totally agree, enjoy your holiday, you deserve it. I agree with everyone it's down to personal choice and psychological impact when deciding on what treatment option to take. It's difficult but for me I went with gut instinct so booked in for full mastectomy on the 14th sentinel node biopsy to see if there is node involvement. I have already been told I'm HER 2 positive so chemo / herceptin afterwards. I'm trying to stay positive. I'm sure the coming months will throw lots of challenges to us all so let's take the bull by the horns and fight this bugger!

TibetOne

PS very good idea to go on holiday first, I did that and had the operation 4 days later, enjoy every minute, you will be in a much better place when you have your operation, sending all good wishes x
TibetOne

Hi thought I'd add my experiences. I was diagnosed high grade DCIS estimated 4 X 2 cm, by 2 vacuum biopsies. After much deliberation and cancelling planned double mx, I had large WLE and double reduction in August. Pathology came back as intermediate and 2cm area so much smaller than originally thought. Because of this no radiotherapy was suggested by MDT. For me this was definitely the right course of action though I will of course feel differently if it returns. BUT for now I'm concentrating on my recovery and getting as healthy as I can. If I'd had a double mx with these path results I would have been unhappy. Good luck with your decisions xx
nicho58

Hi Delly thanks for your reply.  And Les, sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I made my decision to have a mastecomy.  In answer to delly, I am 58 and married to a wonderful guy.  I went to hospital yesterday to tell the consultant my decision and the nurse showed me both the temporary and the permanent protheses.  She also gave me a catalogue with really nice bras and swimwear in.  I can understand people not wanting to go down this route, but I just feel it is right for me and I am happy with my decision.  I am not having my surgery for another 5 weeks.  I had a a holiday booked for 3 weeks time and, obvisouly I would have happily cancelled it but the consultant said my op may not be for 4 weeks anyway and delaying it for another week will make no difference whatsover with the outcome.  I have to trust him, especially as he said it would be ok to even wait 2 months but I wouldn't want to do that.  If I thought that I could have the surgery then go away afterwards I would have, but who knows how things will turn out?  If it has spread to the lymph nodes I will have to have further surgery and radiotherapy or chemo, so it could be months before I am fit enough to travel.  So I am going away in two weeks and we are going to have the BEST holiday ever - lots planned.  when I get back it will be a matter of days before my surgery so not much time to dwell on it.

Les53

Hi nicho, I too was diagnosed with invasive ductal grade 3 last Monday and was given the choice of either lumpectomy or full mastectomy. My gut feeling is to have the full mastectomy to get the bugger out! But like you I have doubts, they also offered me chemo before surgery or after! Can't get my head around it so seeing oncologist today to discuss further. At the moment I have surgery booked for the 14th so I have another few days to make a final decision. I think this forum is excellent, only joined yesterday and shocked to see how many people are going through this terrible disease 😫 

delly

Eileen , so Glad you are feeling happy with your decision, ops and treatments. You may prove a valuable contact to Nicho with respect to.

Love to you both and everyone else,

Delly xx

delly

Ooooomph - yeh, a VERY dificult decision. Many factors to consider, + also your age + VERY much whether you're in a good, strong relationship also - you didn't say. ALL matters to how you feel/ cope after.  Plus, as i've said in a previous post - I didn't HAVE to have a mastectomy either, but was advised to because a lumpectomy was going to remove half my boob anyway, leaving me with something that the surgeon didn't think/feel I would be happy with. I discovered before the op', that he was very founded in what he said.

GREAT that you have already been given the option of recon after, at a later date if you wish.

I got that you said you were past wearing bikini's  x.  I don't know how old you are and how important THAT side of IT is, i.e. "appearance"  ? Much of it WAS for me, still being a SINGLE woman - attractiveness was/is still very important, my not having a long standing secure, caring , loving partner by my side, I still wanted to attract a mate, so to speak . BUT, I am NOT saying it ISN'T important to ANY woman either!!  We are all so different in our reactions, approaches to this flippin awful disease.If you ARE in a marriage/relationship - how do they feel also??

I opted to have a mastectomy with a view to recon, BUT ended up with a 2nd case in the other breast and 8 months down the line, had to have another mastectomy.  I've known other women who've also developed in the other breast later, who've said they wished they'd had a double mastectomy BUT, DON'T let that disway you either  .As I said, there are the other factors for YOU to consider.

I found it far easier to cope with losing just ONE boob. Loss of my 2nd WAS'nt so easy,   BUT. . .  as I said, I was single at the time, so I have had a different perspective.

I don't really think this has helped, but I hope you reach a decision that you feel is right for YOU before your op.

Please DO let us know and how you're doing.

Delly xx 

nicho58

Hello everyone, thank you for takng the time to reply.  I think in my case it is physcological.  I think that getting rid of the whole thing will make me feel better.  I am terrified - and the thought that I might have to go through another op if I choose lumpectomy and the margins aren't clear really worries me.  Of course I know that if my lymph nodes are affected then I will have to have another op anyway but I am told that it looks like they are ok.  I am past the bikini wearing stage and I don't think having a mastectomy will worry me.  Also if I really hate it I can go back and have a reconstruction at a later date.  So, my doubts are the fact that my surgeon said I don't need a mastectomy but he will do one if that's what I want.  He has told me to go away and make sure that this is not a 'knee jerk' reaction.  I suppose the fact that I may not have to have radiotherapy also is a factor.  I am 99% decided that's what I want, just came here for a bit of reassurance I suppose.

Eiljones

Hi ladies,

I had a wide excision lumpectomy in June followed by a re-excision to clear the margins 3 weeks after.

I have small breasts and I was worried about how it would look after a chunk had been removed but I am pleased to say that 12 weeks down the line the scar is fading and it does not look that much different to the other breast.  I was offered a mastectomy after the first op. Tomorrow I have my 15th and last session of radiotherapy and that has gone well with no real side effects - just a slightly pink boob.  I had been really worried about having radiotherapy and I realise now that I need not have worried at all as the staff are really lovely and caring and it is totally painless.

I really feel now that my decision to have a lumpectomy was the right one for me.

Hope this helps any one that is still at the decision stage. Eileen.

delly

Yeh JoJo,

To do without Radio was also part of my decision, but lymph nodes were cleared as a standard procedure then. Didn't know if they were clear or +ve till all removed and path exam after  - showed clear so no chemo. But surprised you still had to have radio. Was that because your lymph nodes weren't taken same time as your mast ??

Delly xx

jojo2

Hi I had the same decision to make.  In the end I went for mastectomy.  As I have small boobs a lumpectomy would have meant taking away 25% of my breast which for me would have been unsightly.  

It really is a hard decision to make. I also didnt want to have radiotherapy and was told if I have a mastectomy I didnt have to have it. Unfortunately my lymph nodes were positive so I have to have it anyway. Its such a personal decision and although I wanted someone to tell me what to do, I was the one that had to live with it so my decision had to be the one that counted.  Good luck, there really is no right or wrong xx

delly

Hi Nicho,

What are your reasons for doubting your decision?? You haven't said. All your factors are very important to your decision. I feel for you because I was ADVISED to have mastectomy over lumpectomy by registrar with regards to a wide lumpectomy excision leaving me with a not very nice visual end result  decision. Took me physically standing topless in front of a ward bathroom mirror, the VERY morning of my op to decide. Pinched in the required amount of mass of my boob (9cn diam) for probable clearance to then see what he was thinking/saying. Don't know why I hadn't done it before and put myself through so much deliberation/indecision. Was no doubt then -  Mastectomy.  Hence me asking your reasons.

Delly xx

nicho58

Mastectomy or Lumpectomy I can't decide

I was diagnosed last Tuesday with Invasive ductal cancer stage 2.  I have to decide between mastectomy or lumpectomy by next Tuesday.  I was adamant that I wanted mastectomy, but now having a few doubts