Mastectomy recovery

Hi everyone, I am currently facing the need to have a mastectomy due to extensive DCIS in my left breast. For various reasons, I’m hoping I can opt for double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (using implants). From your own experiences, how long was recovery from your mastectomy? I have a young daughter and I’m so worried about how long I’ll be restricted from being as hands on with her as I am now. I had an emergency c section with her, has anyone experienced both a double mastectomy and c section? How would you compare the recovery of the two?
Thank you for sharing x

Sammy ,may be best to post this question in the surgery section of the forum and hopefully you will get some advice that helps .Best wishes .Jill.

Hi, just in case you didn’t get any replies from the surgery section, I may be able to help. I haven’t had a C section but did have major abdominal surgery early last year, then a mx with immediate implant a few months later - the mx was much quicker to recover from though I did avoid doing anything other than very light stuff on that side for about 3-4 weeks - obviously you need to let everything heal and restrengthen where the muscle has been lifted and reattached. I also considered a double mx at the time (underlying genetic issues) and was glad I only went ahead with one as it did mean I had one ‘good’ hand in the immediate aftermath.

Hope that helps a bit, let me know if you have any other questions. Liz x

Thank you Liz. I hope you’ve made a good recovery. I have my mx with immediate recon tomorrow and have gone with advice and only getting the left done. We’ll see how I feel after it’s all settled, but you are right, at least I’ll have use of one side post op. Still can’t believe it’s all happening!

Good luck Sammy. Hope it all goes well and you are soon 9n the road to recovery. You are in good hands xx

Hi.

I am 2weeks post mastectomy but only single left side.

I too bad a c section and would say recovery time is kinda in a par.

I had an ovarian cyst removed through a laparotomy in June this year and will have mx and DIEP flap reconstruction on 14th December. I hope yours has gone well! x 

What did you guys wear coming out of hospital after mastectomy?

It’s winter, currently -3 degrees outside and the last I was in hospital, i threw on a maxi dress and walked out, stooped over and sore. 

any thoughts? suggestions? 

Hi Nicola
I had leggings, a shirt, really thick cardigan and big scarf! Lots of layers with front opening! Found a big scarf helped cover up the drain tubes too…which I just didn’t want people to see. On that note, I carried mine around in a handbag with a long strap over my shoulder, the hospital gave me a plastic bag which drew attention to the whole thing!
X

Nicola ,good luck with your op ,have they told you how long you will be in?

Hopefully you will be home and feeling more comfortable before Xmas.

???Hope you have plenty of films etc to watch 7 days is a long time !!

Good luck Nicola, everything crossed your home before Christmas.
I recommend some button front pjs or similar for in the hospital as they are constantly checking you over. And I got a sports bra from m&s that zips up at the front - really handy got hopsital and have been living in them since too.

Yes, depending on how rubbish the food is - food parcels and M and S goodies !!! Hopefully you are not too far from home and will have visitors to bring supplies !!

Seems to vary from hospital to hospital .When I was in hospital for 4 days in April - food was disgusting !!! Friend was in nearby hospital - food was lovely -Think James Martin had been in to re-vamp their menu !!! As long as you have people to bring supplies that’s the main thing!!

No more like toast and bowl of cornflakes !!!