69897members
367420posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy tomorrow 7th ( All Done Now)

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Mastectomy tomorrow 7th ( All Done Now)

I too had a radical mx on the 7th February and am now 5 weeks down the line. Have had to go backwards and forwards to the hospital for the area to be drained twice a week since the drain decided to eject itself from my body!! Don't ask, apparently my body rejected it and I had a leak in the hospital car park. Very embarrassing!

Tomorrow I have to have a CT scan to see if the cancer has spread then back to see the Oncologist next week for results and a date to start chemo! I had 30-40 lymph nodes removed and I was quite shocked that there were that many in my arm!

Good luck with your chemo, I will check back here to see how you are getting on. It does help when someone else is going through the same thing as you, my well meaning friends seem to come out with such ridiculous things I should be doing or not doing and they don't know anyone who has had a full mx!!!

I am getting so lost as to where I have been writing! I think I have chemo brain and I haven't even started chemo yet!
Hi Megsmum I start chemo on the 20th March FEC for 6 sessions over 18 weeks xx

Good luck for your meeting with oncologist Georgieb, how are you doing? I still have my drain in which is very uncomfortable although draining well, i had to have a new bottle put on as the other one was full. I thought i was doing ok but had a bit of a meltdown yesterday when i tried a mastectomy bra on with my softy in it, i felt very self conscious even tho my hubby said it looked fine. I,m not sure what clothes to wear i usualy just wear t shirts but feel as if i need something else.

I seem to be at the same stage as you, had a mastectomy and then developed a haemotoma. I am seeing the surgeon on Monday to get my results and discuss chemo.....

I am so pleased all went well. Chemo is like having a baby you forget about the yuck when it is over, and don't realise how fatigued it makes you until you feel well. It really is doable, but so much easier when you join a " having Chemo " forum thread. It is so good to know others that are having the same thing at the same time.
Look after yourself rest lots
Gentle Hug avoiding stepping on drain!
Cackles

Glad you are at home. Like the others have said take one step at a time. It will take time to adjust but have to think that this is temporary until you can have reconstruction. Stay positive. Take care and make sure you have your painkillers. I am a devil for forgetting minexxxxx

Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the mo. Ive just gotten my last cycle of chemo, I had a meeting with my consultant last week & she wants to do a lumpectomy but I asked if I want a masectomy it will be up to me. I asked her what she thinks I should do & she said that it wouldn't make any difference assuming she means that during the lumpectomy they would be taking the lump, the surrounding tissue & the lymph glands. So I have until 22nd to make up my mind. I also seen the oncologist yesterday before getting my 6th cycle & asked for her opinion & she said that if I got a lumpectomy there's a higher risk that the cancer might return in another part of the same breast ie. there is less chance of that happening if I chose to have a masectomy. I think that I would feel safer getting a masectomy as I wouldnt worry as much about the cancer coming back but then a lumpectomy seems to be a simpler operation. Please help, I would be grateful for any of your thoughts & opinions. I have secondary breast cancer in the liver & bones xo

Thanks for your words of encouragement, i spent one night in hospital and came home today with the drain in. I can honestly say i feel fine, much better than when i had the lumpectomy, i have no pain and no nausea which was a problem before. i didn,t look at my wound in hospital but my hubby and me looked together when i came home. I have brought a couple of "softies" home to try but the drain is in the way of my bra at the minute. Two of the nurses have had previous mastectomies 14yrs + 20yrs ago neither had reconstructions, and were talking about their experiences which was nice to hear. I am now waiting for appt with oncologist to discuss chemo which is my biggest fear i think although i know it is for the best, i'll have anything offered.

Good morning Megsmum,
Don't worry about not sleeping - you'll sleep later. We're all with you in spirit this morning.
You will have several steps to go in the next few days but the nurses and fellow patients will be there to help you. I was the last on my ward to look at her scar - there was general cheering when I came back from the bathroom on day 4 and announced that I'd looked!
As for other people looking at your chest, you will go home with a soft prosthesis which does a great job of disguising your lopsidedness. One visitor who came on the day I got home actually asked my sister if I hadn't had the surgery.
All the very best - you'll never be doing any of this alone.
Hugs,
Kathleen

good luck megsmum you,ll be fine let us know when your back and how you are loads of hugs jane xxx

Thanks everyone I think i,ve had a couple of hours sleep if i,m lucky. The surgery is not bothering me as such it,s the not having a breast psychologicaly i think it will be hard., did you find that people talked to your chest and not your face ??

Hi,
best wishes for today. You will be happy and relieved when it is done. I had a bilateral mastectomy and found it so much easier than I imagined. I only needed Bufren and paracetamol for discomfort the next day. As the right axilla had a clearance I expected a lot of problems with it. However I had almost a full range of movement from the moment I left the recovery room.
Thinking of you
Cackles

Hi Megsmum

I had an MX without recon in January. I posted daily to try and take away some of the mystery & fear for those waiting ( look for Guide to Surviving A Mastectomy in the Undergoing surgery section) if you want a read through before tomorrow.

Best of luck to you & hope you'll soon be back on here telling us it's all over

Twinky x

Hi Megsmum,
I remember how scared I was on the night before my mastectomy and the moment when the taxi turned in to the hospital grounds when I wanted to shout 'Take me home'.
I also remember the enormous relief of putting myself in the hands of the nurses and doctors and waking up without a cancerous breast. The hours after waking up were the easiest I'd known for months and the days after were always made easier by the care I received and the encouragement of the other women who shared the ward and the experience.
There is far less pain than you imagine and the recovery is mercifully quick - I flew to London for my son's wedding 11 days later and had a wonderful weekend. The picture beside my name shows me on that day.
I'm halfway through chemo (6xFEC) and will be having 3 weeks radiotherapy after and I can honestly say that it has all been tolerable so far.
There's a remedy for every possible side effect, so never suffer in silence. They can't help you if you don't tell them what's wrong. Learn to be a bit demanding.
This time tomorrow you'll be a happier woman, I promise.
Whatever lies ahead, you will always find people here to talk to. Knowing that other people have been through it all will help you to get through.
Will be thinking about you tomorrow.
All the best,
Kathleen

I'd like to wish you good luck. My partner had a mastectomy just about a year ago. It's not easy but you will cope. She's had chemo and radio since and is now on herceptin with, hopefully, reconstruction next year. Long road but you will get along it.

All the best.

Hiya - I had my mastectomy on December 20th and full axillary clearance. I start Radiotherapy tomorrow for 15 sessions. I am going for reconstruction later this year too. I had chemo prior to surgery - just cross each one off and you will soon be at the end of active treatment.

This too will pass xx

I will be thinking about you tomorrow and you will be fine. I had a mastectomy in May last year and coped better than I thought I would. It was just making sure that I did my exercises as I had 13 lymph nodes removed. I can have reconstruction in about 6 -7 months time as it will be 12 months since I had radiotherapy. So will keep you posted. Let us know how you go on. Sending you my best wishes for tomorrow. Try to rest tonite xxxx

Good luck megsmum. I am sure you will be fine. I found the thought of it all worse than the ordeal itself.

Mastectomy tomorrow 7th ( All Done Now)

I,m having my mastectomy in the morning without reconstruction, I,ll have it done later i think. This has got to have been the worst start to a new year ever i had WLE + Anc 2 weeks ago which found 2 new tumours (tiny) so it,s coming off. I will also be having chemo as there were 3 affected lymph nodes and possibly radiotherapy. I am terrified and being a nurse doesn,t help 🙂 my friends will be looking after me lol. Wish me look xx