Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

7 REPLIES 7
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Hi, I am getting so much comfort from everything I'm reading. I was diagnosed last week, invasive Duct grade 1, so i feel I'm am quite lucky! Is that the right thing to say?
I have been very positive since I was told, my husband didn't take it quite so well! ..... I am due to have a masectomy to my right brrast as I am quite small busted and my 2 lumps measure about 2"
I am due to have immediate reconstruction LD flap.Should get my admission date by letter this week Dr said would probably be early October
I haven't cried yet , I feel a bit strange because I think I should be worried and Had a good cry but I'm not worried and dont understand why!
Has anyone else dealt with their news like this ??
Patsy
Jo_BCC

Hi Patsy,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you will find that the users of these forums have a wealth of knowledge and experience between them and are only too happy to share their experiences with new users like yourself. As well as the forum users BCC have numerous publications which you may find helpful, I'll put links to a couple below. There's also our freefone helpline where the staff will answer your questions or just be a good listening ear if that's what you need. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/it-together-partners-people...

I hope these help. Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi saffron, Thank you for kind words,and no nonsense approach it helps to hear that it may be awful but in the end will be ok, it seems that many more women have faced and coped with far more than me. I don't feel brave at moment though as each step has given bad news so far.
It is also difficult to cope with reaction of those I work with, most want to hug me which makes it worse...but how can I tell them not to do that? It has also made me realise how many people really care and somehow that makes me cry as well.
dib

Hi Jackie,I had double mx with immediate recon (ld flap) and am just waiting now for nipple tattooing.Apart from my back feeling tight im happy with results,boobs actually look better than before,firmer and not drooping.My 28yr old daughter had double mx after discovering she carried the brca1 gene,this was in early July,she too is happy with results,not yet back at work tho,still has a little pain when exerting herself,she had tram flap is well happy she now has a flat stomach!! good luck with whatever you decide.x
Di.x

saffronseed

Hi jackie, the first few days/weeks after diagnosis are the very worst as you feel so out of control. Believe it or not it does get so much better and the good news for you is that you will get an immediate reconstruction (I had a delayed one) so firstly you get a much better finish and you won't be without a breast. I know a lot of ladies on here who have had immediate reconstructions and they are very pleased with the result and to be honest you can't tell the difference. You may want to ask what type of reconstruction is best for you as there are a few to chose from and you do need to make an informed choice - I can understand your head reeling though as there is so much to take in. A sentinel biopsy is normal and they do them as a matter of course to see if it has spread to the nodes. Mine had spread which meant I had to have a full clearance at the same time of my Mx - which basically means the surgeon will take out your nodes too. To check whether it has or hasn't spread to other parts of your body you will need a CT scan or an MRI scan -your surgeon will let you know whether he feels you need a scan once he has done the biopsy - but again these scans are routine and they are treated as a marker. It is a horrid time as you will be 'waiting' for news for the next few weeks and your imagination will run riot and you probably will think the worst (we all do) - first don't google as the information you get is out of date and quite frightening. Use these forums and you will see how many of us are fit and healthy and have got through it all and coped - you will find that once you have more information and a treatment plan you will have something to focus on and you will get through it - we all do. wishing you well xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi hunni.
I was diagnosed in December. when i was told i might need a mx it was a shock and was very upset. in the end there were clear margins so they thought so i had a wle. then onto chemotherapy. the margins weren't clear and i also had lymph node involvement. finished chemotherapy the end of June and Im now 3 weeks post 2nd surgery. I've just had a double mx with immediate reconstruction. healing well. New boobs look good. you will find strength you never knew you had. i turned 30 in may and have 2 children. i think they have helped keep me focused on being 'normal'. To be honest i don't know how I've managed it looking back with a 1 and 7 year old but you will do the same. you will get through it chick. Just remember to be true to yourself. if you feel like crying then cry. If you need me for a natter just pm me hun.

All the best x x x
Janet_BCC

Hi Jackie

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site, who I am sure will be along soon to give you that much needed support.

In the meantime, while you are waiting could I suggest that you give our helpline team a ring and have a chat with one of the staff here. Lines are open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2, calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Take care,

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed as having multi-focal cancer in left breast. The drastic precaution is a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Still reeling from news and adjusting to what has to happen but on Friday due to have sentinel lymph node biopsy to determine if cancer has spread.
Really struggling with the concept of a mastectomy as a precaution and so scared the cancer may have spread to other parts of the body. How have others put this into a working reality and coped?
jackie