Mastectomy with implants - about to have it & getting anxious about how it'll feel

Hello,

I had BC 14 years ago, have been fine since, but subsequently learnt I have the BRCA1 gene. So after lots of deliberating I am finally booked in to have a skin & nipple sparing double mastectomy with silicon implants in 2 weeks time. And I’m freaking out a bit! My biggest concerns (aside to how it’ll look, but I’m taking a leap of faith on that, as my surgeon is meant to be excellent) are:

-will they feel really weird forever, and like something is pressing against me?

-will I be constantly cold? I’ve read some stuff online about women feeling freezing cold forever after due to the implant

-will I still be able to do normal exercise? I do a lot of yoga and don’t want to lose upper body strength/mobility

I’m not bothered about the short term effects, as in the immediate weeks/even months after surgery. But am concerned about whether the op might really affect my day to day life longer term, and starting to even wonder whether I am making a big mistake and should just continue to be screened at high level. Using my own body fat for the breasts is not really an option, as I don’t have enough fat. Plus was very put off by length of recovery period, which is not that viable for me.

Thank you for reading.

Bel x

Hello Bel, I had left side mastectomy, skin sparing but had to lose the nipple area, and immediate recon with silicon implant and strattice mesh 2 years ago.

To answer your questions -  I would say I am generally aware of the implant, but no sensation of anything pressing, more that it feels a bit heavy. Mine is matching up (nearly) to a 34D natural breast and I guess the feeling may vary depending on how large the implants are. A bra with the right support helps a lot.

It feels reasonably warm to the touch and I do not feel cold at all.

Exercise was a problem in the early months, they lift the pec muscle to make a sort of pouch for the implant and it is affected, but with some help from a lovely NHS physiotherapist who put me through the “Pink Ribbon Programme” of post mastectomy exercises, I have got full range of movement and reasonable strength for day to day activities. Again I think the size of implant would be relevant, so it might be worth discussing this if you have not already done so.

Like you, I couldn’t manage the “own tissue” types and I’m happy with what I’ve got. Hope this helps a bit and please ask anything else you like. Love and good luck to you. xx