Mastectomy

I am having a mastectomy due to high grade dcis, will I need any follow up treatment. Mastectomy due in 3weeks, finding the wait hard.

all the best to you all.

Hello Miffy,

First of all let me welcome you to the forum. Shocking news when you first get it and we all feel knocked sideways for a while. You will start to feel a bit better once you have come to terms with it all. Ask anything you like and one of us will do our best to answer you.

I had surgery, chemo, radiation and 18 lots of Herceptin and am still here!

I used the cold cap during chemo and kept lots of hair. One of the most valuable lessons I learned on here was that there were other women far worse off than me and that helped pull me out of a downward mental state.

The women on here are able to be far more supportive than family or friends that mean well but just do not “get it” so come here when you think you cannot bear the emotional roller coaster. The physical side is easier because you get pain management medicine and exercises to do. After a reconstruction you will look OK and some women actually look better!

Hi Miffy.

I had a mastectomy for a large high grade DCIS about 8 months ago.  It was my choice to have that rather than a lumpectomy.  My only treatment has been surgical.  NICE guidelines do not promote the use of tamoxifen for follow-up treatment of DCIS in the UK.  As for other treatment like radiotherapy, it depends on what they find after surgery and how close the margins are for example.

I agree the waiting is hard.  Once I had got my treatment plan sorted, I just wanted to crack on with it.  I wanted to get rid of the not so little blighter like right now!  Having since had my reconstruction done as well, it has done a world of good for my emotional state.  You don’t say what your plans are for reconstruction or not.

Please keep posting here on this forum.  I have found there are loads of lovely people who will always assist even if their diagnosis and treatment isn’t the same as yours.  Ezzie. X