Maximum weight Diep

Hi, I am on the waiting list for Diep reconstruction at the same time I will have mx and recon of other non cancer side. At the moment I have a temporary tissue expander but I may have this tsken out soon as it has a sharp point that feels like it will pop through my skin.
Anyway I was told I would have to wait 1 year from finishing radiotherapy (December) and also be 4 months recovered from hysterectomy and overy removal (had this done 4 weeks ago 29th august) so hoping surgery will be January time???
Since I was diagnosed for lots of reasons chemo, steroids lack of exercise and mostly comfort eating my weight has ballooned I’ve gained 3 and 1/2 stone already. I was size 8 and now almost 16 and it’s not stopping even though now I’m actively trying to loose. I’ve been told this newly surgical menopause from overies coming out and tamoxafen may be hindering me.
I’ve just worked out my BMI and I’m now obese 30. I’ve gained a lot since I saw surgeon about my Diep and now worried they will say I’m to overweight. I dread to think how much extra I will gain over next few months. I’m out of control.
Does anyone know how overweight your allowed to be and still have Diep

Hello WolfEE, it sounds like youve had a rough time. Its not surprising that youve been doing some comfort eating, Im sure there are lots of ladies on this forum who have done the same.

During my recovery from mastectomy and DIEP I tried to be as kind to myself as I could by taking time to do things I enjoyed and spend time with people who made me feel better.  One thing that really helped was going for regular walks with women friends and just nattering on about life in general, do you have some friends who you could do this with?  I find that one way to reduce fear is to tell other people how I feel, as everyone has gone through something difficult so they wont judge you and once youve said it the fear seem less powerful.

I know I sometimes avoid asking things if I dont want to know the answer, but how would you feel about talking to the surgical team now, explaining about the weight gain and getting their advice, you wont be the first person to expereince this and you have got time to make changes if you need to. At least you will have the facts and probably some helpful advice on what to do.  If you take the first step then perhaps you will start to feel more in control.  

All the very best over the next few months

Strawberry

Hi

i had my mx and expander implant reconstruction 3 years ago. I was initially told I could not have the DIEP unless my bmi was below 35 but that then changed to 32 at some stage! I was hugely overweight but I have lost 6 stone and finally have the op date for a few weeks time. I assume all trusts have the same or similar bmi rules, so it looks like you will be fine.

Good luck 

Thank you strawberry and MAC66 for your replies. I have a new Fitbit so will be starting some walking hopefully with one of my sisters and I’ll try and rope some friends in.
Wow six stone weight loss that is increadable and well done you. I hope your Diep goes smoothly and the results worth the wait. Can I ask if you followed any particular diet are you on tamoxafen or anything that supposedly makes weight loss more difficult? So my massive effort needs to be not to gain anymore even if I can’t lose any!!!

I was on tamoxifen for the first 2 years then switched to letrozole and I think both can promote weight gain. I started on weightwatchers on line and lost about 3.5 stone but when WW changed to Flex I found it much more difficult and very limiting so I switched to SW. both work if you follow them but I’ve averaged less than 1lb a week so it’s taken patience! Got there in the end! ???
Good luck x