Maximum weight to lift

Does anyone know if there is a maximum weight we are supposed to lift if we have/or are at risk of lymphodema?

All advice says not to lift heavy shopping bags etc…but how heavy is heavy???

Viv x

Hi Viv,

I think the crucial thing is that you don’t strain your arm, so it is a very personal thing, what it is safe for you to do, depending on how strong your arm is feeling. I had a right mx, and am right handed but I always lift heavy weights with my left arm now, and I push open heavy fire doors with my left hand. I also now iron left handed. When I am unloading shopping bags from the big weekly shop I do that left handed too, although I would carry a light bag in my right hand.

Viv, I was advised no more than 2lb following node axiallary. Also been advised not to use handbag on that side and to place hand in pocket so that it does not dangle when out walking. Hope this is of some help. Adi

Hi there, an interesting article on the US site, Breastcancer.org re research on lifting weights and risk. breastcancer.org/tips/new_research/20101208.jsp

The leaflet I was sent home with after a WLE said no more than 5lb on the affected side. Its obviously hard to judge but i just make sure I don’t feel under any strain x