Re: May 2017 Rads start- Help please!

Jo

When do you finish rads?

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jacey

We will be ringing the bells for you on Friday.  I was at QE Birmingham as well, could not fault my treatment they were all soooo lovely.

It does get a bit more uncomfortable with the boosters doesnt it with it being so direct on the scar but you are nearly there

Helena xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Rooty

Not sure if you have finished your final rads yet but I am still ringing those bells for you now. 

As i said to Alison, thats it, all done, time to recover from them, relax in that you do not have to do that journey every day any more 🙂 🙂

Remember to keep moisturising, taking plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest as the next two weeks you are still "cooking" but you have done it, active treatment has finished time to start getting your life back

Love Helena

bell.jpg

ladybowler
Community Champion

Alison

Not sure if you have finished your final rads yet but I am still ringing those bells for you now.  Thats it, all done, time to recover from them, relax in that you do not have to do that journey every day any more 🙂 🙂

Remember to keep moisturising, taking plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest as the next two weeks you are still "cooking" but you have done it, active treatment has finished time to start getting your life back

Love Helena

bell.jpg

ladybowler
Community Champion

Alison

Dont worry I have you on the list for tomorrow mate, am at work until 2pm but I will definitely be ringing those bells for you two wonderful ladies when I get back xxxxx

Alieck

Hello Ladybowler,  Can you please get those bells ready for Rooty and myself for tomorrow as we both finish our final radiotherapy sessions.  Many thanks.  Alison xx

suebond88

Morning everyone,

am loving the lettuce leaf idea Jacey 😳Something to try later...

having my 5th later today - so far am a bit warm and itchy but am using loads of E45 and managing ok.  No problem at Derby Royal yesterday with this NHS hacking ransom thing in the news. Was concerned, but only had to wait an hour after my scheduled time.

i have returned to my Pilates class (can't do everything of course), but am managing well and feeling the benefits. 

Stay strong everyone

SueBxxx

Jacey

A suggestion made to me to cool boob - a cold lettuce leaf! Fits perfectly and works a treat but probably best only done at home, not in M&S food hall, haha. X
Jacey

Hello all. I'm in my booster week now, yesterday was the first of my 5 boosters. Inside my breast has been rather painful, a bit like it has been punched, but they say that's ok. My rads burn is sore but so far not too bad. I'm moisturizing with E45. I am self employed and not working just now but I sympathise with those of you who are, it can't be easy. I'm at UHBQE and they've been very good. My good wishes to all of you travelling this journey, or any other health issue. Try to keep positive, even though it's hard sometimes x.
JoJo45

Hi Kaspar,  

I had my last rads on the 25th April so now 3 weeks (wow that's gone quick!) post rads, my skin stayed slightly hot and red but no breakdown.  I'm still moisturising every day, mostly with Doublebase gel or normal moisturiser.  

I wasn't tired through the treatment, but it did hit me a week later, I think it's the not traveling to the hospital everyday, as this gave a focus to the day, and not sleeping at night due to hot flushes.  Starting to feel better now.  I started swimming again last week so I think this has helped to boost my energy levels.  

Did you have chemo?  I spoke to my consultant about aches and pains and he said this is beaches the chemo is still going through and the radiotherapy slowed down the recovery from that.  Oh the joys of this treatment.  

Hope your side effects are minimal.  

Jo xx

capelmum52

Hi Ladies,

Lovely to see so many of you nearly at the end.
I have just had 5 of 23 so a long way still to go. I am struggling to sleep at the moment, not sure if it is the radiotherapy or the Letrozole which I started 10 days ago. No skin issues yet but have been using Aloe Vera and simple moisturiser.
Take care
Fiona
ladybowler
Community Champion

Kaspar

I have just got home from a bowls comp at Leamington, could not go to bed without congratulating you on finishing your rads and ringing them bells for you.

bell.jpg

Helena xxxx

Kaspar

Everyone who has finished already, please don't disappear! I'm interested to know how you're all doing in the two weeks following the end of the treatment. Did your skin get much worse and did the tiredness get any worse? 

All the the best to everyone! 

Kaspar

I'm all done and I have filed away my appointment schedule! Yay! 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kaspar

let me know how you get on xxx

Kaspar

Thanks Helena, I will try your tip with my clock! 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kaspar

Oops I had got the wrong date down for you on my list, I  will most definitely ring them for you on Monday as well, although it will be later on as I am in a bowls comp at 6.

I remember feeling that way and in fact had a complete meltdown the one day at my rads, burst into tears and was angry because my whole life was being dictated by this one apt every day, which was adding to the worries of my having my partner at home, who has MS.  I just wanted it all to go away and let me get back to normal.  I worked through the rads as well although only for 3 days a week and 4 hours a day, and I do not have a stressful job, but it all adds up and suddenly catches up with you.

I used to wake up at 2, 4 and 6am, I would know it was that time as I looked at the clock.  I turned the clock round so I could not see the time, and it seemed to have worked.

Sending you an Helena huggle as you really need it.  I sincerely hope that the other problem gets sorted for you.

Helena xxxx

Kaspar

One more session left for me on Monday so I'll need more bells then ! 

Although I'm doing OK physically (apart from some early radiation burn setting in) I am mentally and emotionally really low. Is anyone else feeling this? It's ridiculous really, I had a tiny DCIS, i was lucky it was picked up early and things could have been far worse. I've worked through the treatment as much as I could and wished I hadn't as my job is stressful enough at the best of times without losing half a day for appointments. I've now said I need some time off, although most of the backlog will still be there when I get back along with hundreds of emails! 

Unfortunately the CT used for the radiotherapy planning had an incidental finding of another problem which still needs further investigation and likely major surgery to sort it because it won't fix itself, so I don't feel I can move on, because I still have that to deal with. I was told about that on the first day of my radiotherapy! I've seen another consultant who wants some more scans. 

Have not had a decent night's sleep in 3 weeks. I keep waking up at around 3am. Any tips for resolving that? I don't want sleeping tablets. 

Atleast my son is healthy. That's the best thing.

But it's still pants. 

Rooty

Thanks Alison. I've certainly had tenderness and some shooting pains, and yes redness now as well. I'll try a cold flannel, just been using my chillow that I use for hot flushes and that has had some effect. I've been a bit worried about a wet flannel making my skin too soft I think. Our poor boobs eh. Xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Kasper and Snail

COngratulations to the both of bell.jpgyou for finishing you rads today, hope you are both celebrating tonight.  Remember to keep up the regime for the next two weeks and to get plenty of rest.  Ringing the bells for you tonight

Alieck

Hi Rooty, I am also on 12 of 15. I have been tender since day 2 and one side of my breast is quite red. I have been using AloeVera together with E45 and putting a cold flannel on to cool the affected area. Hope this helps. Alison xx 

Rooty

I've had my 12/15 today. I'm drinking the two litres and moisturising loads. Today is the first day of real discomfort and tiredness for me. I'm very hot and tender and can't seem to cool my breast down. No bra, wearing cotton pyjamas etc. Does anyone have any cooling ideas?

suebond88

Morning everyone,

i've been on Letrozole too for about 6 weeks now.  Initially had awful bone aches but se's have now settled down and feeling ok with it.  Am due to have bone density scan.  Getting ready for 3rd rad this morning....

sueBxxx

Corrina

well done to everyone for finishing there rads and good luck to those just beginning. As for moving on from rads I have started on Letrazole and been on it now 2 moths so far I seem to be ok with it . good luck to anyone else who have to be on hormone meds xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

DJD

Yep and it is a wonderful feeling to know that you no longer have to do that journey again, no one controlling your life Monday to Friday xxxx

DJD

Jo and Helena - so nice of you to bother to acknowledge what a milestone today has been.  The enormity of what it means is lost on those who haven't walked in our shoes.  I'm hoping to get back to 'normal' - a life without hospital appointments!  

suebond88

Hi everyone,

just back from my first session.  Not as bad as thought - as advised.  Was a longer session as they took photos too. Am covered again in felt pen!  Managed the breathing ok ...

have already lathered myself with E45...

1 down, 14 to go 😳👍

SueBxxx

atomicjojo

Well done to all you finishers!

What next for you all? I presume tablets of some sort but how will you all be moving on?

Jo xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

DJD

Whey hey, congratulations on finishing your active treatment.  remember to look after yourself still for the next two weeks as you will still be having the effects, but that is it, done and dusted.  Ringing them there bells for you xxx

bell.jpg

Helena  xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kezzar

Yay wooo hooo, ringing the bells for you today, well done and congratulations on finishing your active treatment xxx  Totally understandable, I left the clinic feeling so high but by the time I got to my car I was in tears, just the relief I think of getting through the other end of the tunnel.

Now take care of yourself over the next two weeks, keep up the moisturising, fluid and rest as you have been doing xxx

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

DJD

Am done and dusted too!  Bring on normality!  C Club members will never be far from my thoughts, as I'll always be a club alumni.  Best wishes to all. 

atomicjojo

Good luck Sue!

It's a doddle compared to chemo! Let me know how you get on

Jo xx
suebond88

Morning everyone,

great to hear that some of you have just finished/about to finish treatment.  Hope this is the end of your active treatment programme.

Am looking forward to ringing that bell myself!  Will probably burst into tears too....

will let you know how I get on later, heading to Derby Royal this afternoon for my first session.

sueBxxx

Kezzar

Ladies. Get those bells ringing! All done and dusted. 

I have to be honest it was a bit of a letdown. I rang the bell and then started crying. Not sure why,  must have been the relief that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn and fight the Manchester traffic!

good luck to everyone on the journey. Xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

atomicjojo

Hi Sue!

I've had 5 zaps now. Nothing to report really. I also started moisturising before I started & now use E45 as much as poss. So far I have no burns or reddening of the skin but my boob does feel a little swollen, not much, just sort of harder... I do find the stirrup for my arm a bit uncomfortable, I just want to wiggle it around a bit! Also I sometimes panic a bit with my breathing, lie I constantly want to take a deep breath but I can't because the measurements would change!

Anyway it's only for a few minutes, after the 3rd one it got alot faster.

On the whole...noting to worry about!

Jo xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

suebond

hello and welcome to the thread, you will get loads of great support and advise from the lovely ladies on here who are going through and even coming to the end of their rads now.

Your rads team at the hospital will give you plenty of advise and will keep a good eye on you.  Just let them know about your sensitivity.  I used E45 throughout the whole of my treatment, applying it 3 times a day and especially after each session.  Drink plenty of fluids as that will help with any dehydration you may experience which can cause fatigue, but most of all accept any help offered and listen to your body,

The radiotherapy itself was not too bad I found, it was just the travelling each day that was tiring.

Helena  xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

DJD

Yay, I know when I left after my last one I was so happy, then walking across the car park I just burst into tears, I think it was just the pent up emotion of having gone for nearly five weeks and the relief that it was finished got to me.  Yep, we can all relate to that scary feeling, but revell in the fact that YES YOU DID IT, you are through the other side of that tunnel that seemed so long and I will be ringing the bells for you on Wednesday.

Helena xxxx

suebond88

Hi Ladies,

i have hopped from the October Chemo thread to here...

am due to start radio on Wednesday.  Have been mosturising and practising holding my breath (left side)..

any other advise you can give would be appreciated as am a little apprehensive as I have sensitive skin and do burn easily 😔😬 

SueBxxx

DJD

Yep, am looking forward to Wednesday - last one!  Thank you for flagging it up Ladybowler.  Am counting myself as very lucky - have had very little discomfort, but did follow all the advice from those who have already trodden this path.  Am feeling a bit weary, but as warned by these trail-blazing ladies, most likely to be more from the early mornings (I leave home just before 7 am) and the round trip of over 2 hours.  

Not sure how I feel about it all at the moment (end of active treatment) - Think my confused feelings come from the fact that family and friends seem to of the opinion that after Wednesday I'll be considered cured. My rational head says 'Whoopee, I've come out the other side'.  My scary head says '...for now'.   

Kezzar

Yes. Get that bell ringing arm ready!! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

ladybowler
Community Champion

If I have it right DJD, Kezzar,Jacquie, Snail and Kasper all finish rads this week so there is going to be some serious bell ringing going on this week ladies, well done to you all xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kerri

And we will all be there ringing the bells with you as well xxxxx

Kezzar

Hi everyone. I'm coming to the end of my rads now - two more to go. Yay! I was absolutely petrified before they started and seriously considered not going. ButI'm glad I did. Had some great positive comments on here which made it easy. 

My radiographers told me that, at my unit they've changed the protocols. They said I could use any moisturiser I liked. And they seem quite relaxed about everything. I used E45 and have had no problems until today. My sternum and ribs are very sore so I've changed to a crop top. 

Im getting excited to ring that bell on Tuesday! 

Kerri. X

ladybowler
Community Champion

capelmum

I know that it HAS to be at least 99.9% aloe vera, I got mine from Boots the brand is Aloe Pura and is described as an organic aloe vera.  However, your rads team may well advise you to use only E45 or similar.

Helena xx

capelmum52

Does anyone know which aloe Vera products we can use to moisture before and during radiotherapy ?
lynda1955

Thanks Jo

We are going to Calpe in Spain. Plenty of sun cream, cover up, shade and relaxation

lynda xx
atomicjojo

Hi Lynda

Sounds great! Where are you off to? It's good to have something to look forward to.

Good luck with the rads. I've only had 2 but all seems ok so far.

Jo xx
lynda1955

Had my planning done yesterday and due to start radiotherapy on 18th May. Going o holidays on 17th June so so was pleased since the holiday was booked before diagnosis. Something positive to focus on at last : )

Sue7890

Thanks for all the advice.  First one down and so easy!

As you say Jo, it's the traffics afterwards.......

Xx