363533posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May Moonbeams

Re: May Moonbeams

Hi Rara,
EC is the chemo I'm having everyone else is having 4 drugs I'm only having the 2.
Lola 65 our chemo unit has just been expanded and they don't allow anyone in there incase of risk infection health and safety blah blah !
there are two rooms I think one for people using canullars the other for lines I think.
I've been in there so many times taking their linen but never taken a lot of notice now I'm going to be a patient!! My appt is at midday so I get fed sandwiches and cakes and biscuits tea and cold drinks so I get spoilt.
nursing staff are lovely also lots of volunteers who are very nice some are previous patients I think .
Marie

Hello Moonbeams,

Just popping over from the February Valentines group, although my chemo was delayed for various reasons so I am also in the April Angels group! I just wanted to re-asure you that the infusion day isn't at all bad, especially if you have a PICC line or a portacath. Every chemo unit will vary, but mine is small ( only 9 chairs), warm and cosy, nurse-led (no bossy managers), plenty of cups of tea, sandwiches and ice creams on hand at lunch time, free and easy, lovely nurses, and very relaxing. Take someone with you to keep you company.

Best of luck to you all xxx

Hi Marie and thanks for the welcome!
do you mind me asking what EC is? Sorry to hear that you have underlying illnesses on off of BC.

Breast cancer certainly knows how to ruin a birthday! I will be 50 in June! Think 51 will be celebrated in style.
rachel x

Hi Marie and thanks for the welcome!
do you mind me asking what EC is? Sorry to hear that you have underlying illnesses on off of BC.

Breast cancer certainly knows how to ruin a birthday! I will be 50 in June! Think 51 will be celebrated in style.
rachel x

Welcome to all the new ladies joining. Of course we can do this we are all strong women ..
Am I the only one having just EC this is because of underlying illnesses was FEC-T till I mentioned illness of old but not oing there again..
Elleode they give you anti sickness tablets make sure you take them even if you do not feel you need them and if they don't work you let them know so you get stronger ones next time
Elliedog the only times I cried was when I told my OH as I went to mammogram on my own and telling my two children my son having told us two weeks before he was going to be a dad in October with his first he will be 30 tomorrow .
I will be 53 next Monday so am hoping not to have too many s e
Marie

Oh Sarah, same as me, I want my boring life back because I loved it! I am also a single mother now and until this worked full time. Am currently off sick, can't think why!?
You haven't had your operation yet then? Well don't worry, I had two ops and because its all part of getting better, it is so worth having.
this whole thing is like having your legs swiped from underneath you!
we WILL get there
rachel x

Yes Jane, we can and we will do this. Other women get througit chemotherapy and so will we! It's just the fear of the unknown and worrying about side effects on top of having had (two in my case) surgery. I cannot believe how anxious i am about chemo, the mornings being the worst.
i was a strong woman before diagnosis but crumbled straight away! I am calling chemo Chapter Two. My new full time job is 'fighter' against bc.
the staff on the chemo ward all seem lovely and when I was there for an oncology appt on Tuesday, I saw women actually being given chemo and they all looked so calm. So that was positive.
when do you start?
rachel x

Hi I should be having my first chemo next week. I am terrified of being sick also. I will be having 3x FEC and 3 x Tax then operation, rads and 12 x Herceptin. Can't believe this is all happening to me I want my boring lovley life back. I have two little boys 12 and 15 and am a single mum. Good luck everyone - sarah x

cazd not sure how I feel about being that closed in but suppose I will cope.Think I will close my eyes too, never know I might fall to sleep.They are checking my right leg and liver for clarification from x ray and ultrasound. Ultrasound showed liver had hemangiomas charcacterisics (consultant doing ultrasound said he didn't think related to BC) and x ray showed some extra bone around knee area probably damage or wear and tear.Still feel nervous though said they have to send for MRI because of my now BC history and because I should be going on a trial so they have to have clarification(they keep using that word).Know what you mean about finding it hard to bounce back seems like everything comes at you in such a short period of time.Consultants orginally said they were only sending for scans because I had 4 nodes infected out of 18 and it was hospital protocal but I didn't have anything to worry about and were very confident. But here I am bone scan, ct scan, x ray and ultrasound later, apparently thats the process they take so they can get every angle.I agree chemo needs to start hopefully that will give more of a rountine with hospital appointments. Try to enjoy this time before chemo starts and I am sure your tests are precaution and nothing to worry about. But I am sure they have probably told you that at the hospital but precaution and worry seem to go hand in hand at the moment.
Lots of hugs xxx
Angela x
P.S Welcome to everyone I'm finding it hard to keep up with everyone joining at such a rapid pace.xx

Hi Rachel. We can all do this, can't we? We're women and we're together. I already feel I'm among friends after just one day.
Hugs
Jane x

Hi Moonbeamers!
Please may I join your group too? I am starting chemo on 9th may. Have had 2 lumps removed by WLE in Feb then pathology showed one lump was a tumour around a lymph node unusually sited in breast...! So had a second op in march - 17 lymph nodes removed, all negative! The 'mother' lump is grade 3 aggressive. Am having FEC-T chemo.
Since I was given the start date for chemo (by phone when I wasn't expecting to be told by phone), I have developed very anxious feelings. I used Rescue Remedy today.
I am home alone most of the time at the moment as I am single and my son works full time. I am off sick from work since the first operation and unable to go in due to the physical risk factors of my work. So I find myself over thinking every little thing.
I know worrying is a waste of a good imagination, but I can't help it!
One Day At A Time is the latest advice from my lovely Macmillan nurse.
Best wishes,
Rachel x

Hi everyone and welcome Janey i have it now that there are 12 of us so far is that right?
Good luck with everything on tues alex thats a long day all right for you I hope everything goes well
Angela i had mri last year if you are claustrophobic at all can be a bit daunting as u go into a tunnel which is quite close to you i found the best thing was just to keep my eyes closed during the whole experience they give you headphones usually to listen to music as it is also quite noisy they may also have to give you an injection to contrast up the area they are looking at im up on tues for ct scan of lungs ,pelvis and abdomen and have been feeling upset about the whole thing just not bouncing back like i have over the last couple of months need to get going with the chemo xx caz

Hi everyone. Just got back from taking eldest son rugby, youngest son was sick last night so he didn't play today. Will seem really odd if one of the boys are ill while im having chemo not being able to get to close and letting OH deal with them. But is only for a while and they are usually quite healthy children. One of the ladies at the rugby club has found out about my BC and I was talking to her about it today. She was very up beat and just the type of person you need around you. However my friend was also there and she started crying which I find quite hard to handle at the moment because I look at this as the cancer has been taken away and the rest is now precautions and I will go on to live a long and happy life as most people do. I should have my onc appointment Tuesday or Wednesday the nurse has said once I have got my MRI scan out the way. Anyone had an MRI scan not sure what to expect or how to prepare except not to wear any metal.
Hug to everyone
Angela xxx

Good Morning Moonbeams,
Welcome Jane and Zuzy. Looks like things are starting to happen for a few of you. Good luck next week Alex and Jane. I will be thinking of you.
I have Oncologist on Tuesday and am even nervous about that. At least I will know a bit more about what is happening.
Hugs to all of you that need it.
Janet xxx

Morning Moonbeams and welcome to Jane and Zuzy. I'm having 6 cycles of FEC Zuzy, so trying to get into the I can get through this mind set, thanks for all the good luck wishes Ladies.
Marie and Melrose, I'm now 4 weeks post op and between my armpit and left boob is still a bit swollen, which is where all the fluid collected when the drain came out, but its going down day by day. I've managed to wear underwired bras again, but now that everything is settling down I can see the indent where the bit was removed from my boob and my nipple has started facing to the left. Lol. As everything shrinks its all feeling a bit tight if you know what I mean, but I'm not worried about it and still doing the exercises to keep it moving.
Off to look at wigs now.
hugs to all! (I've never been one for hugging before, but now I'll gratefully accept or give a hug to anyone!)

Thanks for the welcomes! Feels better to have ladies around who know just what it's like. I too just want it to start - the thinking and anticipation is not good.
I'm having AC Zuzy, and four cycles, then radiotherapy, Herceptin and an anti-oestrogen. Lovely 60th birthday present! But as Nanniereeree says, there will be other birthdays. Mostly because of all this treatment!
X

Good luck on Tuesday Lexi and on Wednesday Jane, I start on Weds too, FEC-T, what are you having? Am also getting nervous, just want to get it over with now! Xx

Welcome Jane xx
Marie, I'm only 10 days on so still feeling swollen and my upper arm is tender and hypersensitive. I would call the bcn to see if its normal. As with most things we are unsure what 'normal' is regarding these things.
Let me know as it's useful to know.
Xx

Off course you can join us Jayne, anyone is welcome I start chemo mon the 2 nd and its my birthday on the 6th so no celebrating this year :-(( but there will be other years :-))
Im like you Melrose the thought of it puts me off I'm having canullar in my hand I'm a bit wussy :-//
my biggest problem is not seeing as much of the grandchildren whilst I'm having treatment as you never know what bugs they are carrying
Does anyone else have the problem of underarm swelling hen I do my excercises every day it is so uncomfortable !
Marie

Hi
Good luck Lexi. I've heard the picc doesn't hurt but the thought of it makes me queasy!
Welcome Bambi xx
Off to make my list xx

Good luck for tues Lexi42im sure you will be fine xxx

Hi everyone. Can I join the May Moonbeams too? I start chemo on May 1st, and while everyone at the local hospital has been just wonderful, I'm still getting very nervous. I cared for my sister through chemo 12 years ago (she's doing really well) and she found it hard. I tell myself that 12 years on it'll be better, but to have friends going through the same would be good.
Jane

hi everyone and welcome to Bad Bambie (good name)' Angela, Penny and Barbara (sorry if I missed anyone or got names wrong it's quite hard to remember everyone, come to think of it it's quite hard to remember anything these days! My OH says I'm getting forgetful, but then there's so much to take in, does anyone else feel like a walking medical dictionary?
Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and catch up again. Had my pre assessment chemo appointment last Friday morning. Was shown around by a nice nurse called Vincent (kept getting "Starry, starry night" going round in my head every time I looked at his name badge), we did the usual questions, are you allergic to anything? Are you on medication for anything? Etc, etc then it was explainations of everything that's going to happen on Tuesday. God, I think that's going to be a long day! The picc line will be inserted, I didn't realise it goes so far into your body, all the way to a large vein above your heart! Eek. This could take up to an hour, then I will be xrayed to make sure it's in the right place. Then anti sickness drugs are given, then the chemo starts. Feeling a bit scared now, think I might need some of your Bachs is it? Or a big glass of wine. Right I'm going to go into the garden and take it out on some weeds for half an hour.
Tomorrow I'm going to look at some wigs. Monday will be a normal day. Thinking positively again.
hugs to all. Alex. I'll let you know how it all goes on Tuesday.

Hi Marie
We met briefly on the 'fromNorfolk' thread
I was just looking at this thread and feeling very lucky that I managed to avoid chemo as mine is High Grade DCIS. Just 15 rads to go now.
Just wanted to say that you and all the ladies on here are in my thoughts.
Sue XXX

Hi redcap, I think about it all the time but I try ( sometimes very hard to do) not to let it get me down when I sit feeling sorry for myself I get up and do my excercises or some sewing to take my mind off it xxxx
i won't say it always works but I have some good post surgery friartworks work that have been life savers and I have read everything I can that could be going to happen to me so I am prepared...
my work colleagues gave me the other night when we went out a. Cath Kidson handbag and £100 voucher for a local jeweller I had already had £100 to spoil myself. Two of the ladies I work with went round every dept and ward at the hospital where I work and knowing them threatened them if they didn't give ( not really)
I am getting nervous about chemo on thurs it's the possibility of being sick that I fear most.
Hope you are all making the most of the sunshine
Mare xxx

Good morning everyone hope your all well
Ive decided my chemo song is Pinks -TRY - the chorus is" just because it burns doesnt mean your gonna die you got to get up and try, try ,try."
Ive got that chorus in my head now and have it on repeat as im def finding these last few days very difficult and am def very nervous about the next few scans that are booked for next 2 wks ,but trying to be optimistic and spend lot of time with family and friends .
Is anyone planning on taking vit /mineral supplements im reading suzannah olivers breast cancer prevention and recovery diet and she used v high doses of vitamins etc and alternative therapies i just dont know if i will take anything during treatment as would be worried re interaction with chemo drugs will speak to my oncologist but think they are of the opinion of maybe a multvit but nothing else
Hope you all enjoy the weekend its a beautiful sunny day here xx caz

I was trying to work out what OH stands for, thought it was Old Husband and then it clicked it is Other Half....DOH.......
I call mine affectionately GOG, Grumpy old Grandad xx

Good Morning Moonbeams,
Welcome to the group Barbara xx
Melrose, sorry you had a bad time last night. We are going to get days like that, and sometimes it doesn't seem fair does it? Glad it's ok this morning. Hugs this morning to you. xx
I am going to try and take a leaf out of Marie's book and try and save all my energy for fighting this thing.
Just wish I could stop thinking about it all my waking hours.
Positive thougths to everyone
Janet xxx

Morning Moonbeams.
Melrose seems like we are both falling out with our OH. I wanted this weekend to be normal before starting chemo which is possible because I feel quite well. But after having news that I now need an MRI for clairifcation of the possible hemangiomas found in my liver I am feeling a little up and down. OH seems to think that because the consultant that performed the ultrasound said that in is opinion it has nothing to do with my BC (and Hemangiomas doesn't need treatment most women life with them everyday) they just need clarification from the MRI. But because I am one of the worlds worst worriers I don't think he is taking this serious so we had a little arguement this morning ending with me realising he is probably right. So out came the Bachs to calm me down OH made me a green tea and gave me a hug. Sometime OH is so carm I don't know how he does it.Anyway going to be a little more positive today because logic tells me I am worrying over nothing.Everyone enjoy the rest of the weekend. The sun is out here which always makes me feel better.
Angela xxx

Hi everyone
So I'm learning how to negotiate a web forum! In some ways a lot of 'learning' has gone on in the past couple of months; I catch myself feeling surprised that other people don't know what I'm on about- ER positive, FEC etc- it's a whole new language. It can also be an alienating experience- why don't they know? Oh because they don't have to. Emma- I know how you feel about watching family and friends getting on with normal life and feeling I'm in a separate bubble. Of course people are fantastic too- my husband is doing a drinks evening for my friends here tonight to help send me on my way to chemo. Feeling resentful about chemo date for Friday as we had arranged a weekend with family in Dorset (before dx) and I have been a bit messed around with onc and surgeon arguing over my healing. Might try to get it moved to early next week- but in a way I am desperate to get started too as this is the bit I really don't want (there you go- I've forgotten how much I didn't want the mastectomy- urgh am I actually ADJUSTING??)
Hi Penny- yes having cancer treatment in Brighton- although had surgeries at Haywards Heath and East Grinstead.
About to cancel wig appointment- not up to that one yet!
Hope you all have a good weekend.
Barbara x

Morning Moonbeams!
All got too much last night as OH discussed his plans for the weekend with the boys (15, 12, oldest one 17 working today) No consideration that I wasn't up for standing pitch side for 2 hours or sitting in a rugby club for the afternoon. He didn't understand that whilst he was carrying on as normal, life for me isn't 'normal' and not being able to do the everyday things was hard. I'm a very in control, practical, independent woman! An argument ensued, tired were shed, I told him he was being selfish, he promised to 'think' in future, 1am I collapsed exhauseted into bed. Woke at 8.30am, longest sleep since dx. Bonus!!
Hope you're all feeling bright and breezy this morning. I'm enjoying tea and toast in bed,curtesy of OH ;))
Welcome Babara. Xx
Emma x

Welcome barbaraannem- we are all new here, in a sense. I expect you will be one of the first to have your treatment! I haven't even had my Oncologist appointment but our clinic is very good at phoning you when you are elbow-deep in something (like cleaning drains or ironing) and giving you a date. Living one day at a time is hard work for me personally as I like to plan things out in advance. Will you be having your treatment in brighton?

Hi Moonbeams- Up really early as is not unusual for me when moon is full- in my day job I do regular overnight shifts only recently I've altered my hours so I can cope better with my cancer. But I still have an early morning about once a week which I try to look on as a gift and not insomnia. Right now I've got some great music on the earphones (folk not Gloria Gaynor). I just looked up the word Cohort, which is what I think we all are; cohort is one of those words you only hear from teachers (and education ministers!) and scientists, but it means group of people undergoing the same experience and comes from the words co- and hort, which means "garden" so we are all in the same garden together! I thought that was fun, the idea of us all growing together which is funny because the whole point of chemo is to damp down those cells (hair, cancer) which grow the fastest.

Thanks Zuzy that link was really helpful. I tend to do the research then it gets lost in my head and I forget things.xx

Hi moonbeams
Just got back from a childrens birthday party was lovely being around normality for a while and totally forgot about the ups and downs of life at the moment. Seems alot of posts on wigs at the moment. I agree I think it might be a bit hot in the summer so im going to invest in scarves and certain hats to wear along side my wig. Thanks Melrose getting out did make me feel better and I do think I am worrying over a scan that is just giving clarification (there words). The Bachs seems to be working now I seem alot carmer for longer periods of time. Marie it has a taste of aclohol but the taste doesn't last. Hope you all have a relaxing weekend. Keep posting. Lots of hugs to everyone.
Angela xx

Hello moonbeams,
I thought I had decided about wigs (against), but BCN insisted on giving me contact details for the Barts wig woman and said that I might change my mind. She also seemed quite keen on me giving the cold cap a go, but I'm not signing up for any more discomfort. So now I'm wondering how I would look with plantinum blond bob....
I expected to get a call today with an appointment for next week, but nothing so now I'm WAITING AGAIN.
Hugs to everyone, and double hugs to anyone feeling sad, anxious, fed up, tired or wiggy.

Deborah x

PS I asked my oncologist about alcohol and she said fine, but probably best to avoid the night before chemo so as not to turn up at hospital with hangover (!). Not expecting to feel much like drinking, but at least I know now that I can have an odd glass of wine without keeling over.

Hi
I have never joined a thread before! I expect to start chemo on 3rd May (my youngest son's birthday!). This has been delayed due to wound healing. I was diagnosed in January with MX at end of Feb- back flap reconstruction. I was confident I would then be back at work and on hormone therapy but have had further surgery to wound and am now having chemo and radiotherapy followed by tamoxifen. Cancer grade 2 mutlifocal with cancer in one node. Very apprehensive about chemo and am down to have PICC line in next week. Hard to put this first post on and hard to know where to start- but hope to be able to support each other so taking the plunge on the forum having read how helpful it is. I am in Brighton.

Evening everyone,my goodness we really are gearing up ,welcome to everyone joining hope your all well .
Must admit that im a regular gurgler of rescue remedy esp on my days at work lol and kalms as well have also discovered nytol one a night which ive been using for last few nights and found v good.
I have a friend who is on her 3rd cycle and she is finding as weather gets warmer (and lets face it its hardly tropical)she is finding the wig a bit uncomfortable whereas in early feb it was useful for keeping her head warm,dont know how we will manage in summer then
I have a horrendous curly one which has laid around the house for yrs put it on for a laugh today for my youngest son then forgot i had it sitting like a nest on my head only realised as i wondered about the garden and caught sight of myself in window anyway the neighbours will be seeing some sights in the months to come no doubt.
Melrose im up on the 7th so we will prob be starting roughly the same time if all goes to plan .Hope you all have nice weekend take care caz xx

I'm already struggling with people's names and dates I'm writing a list too Melrose15
Marie

Hi lladies
Seems all systems go with the wigs. I'm actually looking forward to trying something different. OH fancies me as a redhead! Angela I'm glad you went this morning, you sound a lot more cheery.
My Bach remedy came in useful today as helped calm me when having more fluid drained. It taste alcoholic, strong and concentrated. A few drops always helps and as Janet says I sometimes put it in water to sip through the day when I have something stressful coming up.
I will see the onc on 8th and as long as I'm fit and recovered well will start Chemo soon after. I think I'm going to make a note of everyone's dates. Soon it'll be hard to keep up!
Have a good evening Moonbeams xx

Marie, glad you have your start date. you will be having your first on same day as I have my 4th. It's supposed to be my 2nd Tax, but been put back on Fec for last two. I wear my hair loss as a trophy too. Might as well look like a cancer patient while having treatment for it!!
Kath

Hi all, I picked my wig up today, have gone for my colour but a different style, not shown it to anyone other than my oh yet.....the actual one is much more bouffanty tHan the one I tried on, a bit like your hair is always different when you go the hairdressers compared to doing it yourself! Am hoping it settlers down soon, ight have to wear it around the house to calm it down!
Angela, grade 4 means it has already spread, nodes involved is grade 3', here is the link to Macmilllan where it explains it all, hope this helps
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Breast/Symptomsdiagnosis/Stagingandgrading.aspx
am off to investigate Bachs now, never come across it before!
Xx

Ha ha, laughing Marie at the thought of the flying wig.
I am pleasantly suprised at how good all the ladies on here who have no hair look.
Bachs is made of flower remedies. Hard to explain the taste.....concentrated....umm.........daisies?????....don't know

Janet xxx

Hi ladies,
I have declined having a wig I have very short spiky purple hair and get hot just wearing a hat so have bought bandanas and scarves to use... I am wearing my hair loss as a trophy that I am fighting this thing ( that's if I lose my hair ) knowing my luck I would shake my head and the thing would fly off into someone's lap..
I may have a look at the wigs on offer but I'm not planning on getting one.
What does this bachs stuff taste like?
Mariexx

Angela, your wig sounds great.
I wouldn't worry about the tablets, the spray is fine. It's not cheap is it?
Have a lovely evening
Janet xx

Janet.
My wig is a similar style to my own hair and the colour is one i have had in the past. They said the more I wear the wig the heat from my head will make the hair easier to style and feel more natural. I bought the rescue spray maybe I should try the tablets.
Angela xxx

Hi bad bambi. I bought my first wig today ready for chemo. The hospital I am being treated at has its own salon so I have been very lucky. I was given a prescription from my BC nurse but you still have to pay £64 towards the wig and it allows you 2 wigs a year. I went for a fitting and I suggest you take a friend, I tried different styles but opted for a wig similiar to my own style. Its a private company that supplies the wigs and I have to say I was really pleased with my wig which I bought today. I didn't feel like something had just been plonked on my head it just felt normal.When I took the wig of I felt like putting it back on because it looked better than my own hair. I am sure we will all feel very different when we loose our hair but it will come back and if you can get a good wig I am sure that will help. If I can help with any advice please post me.
Angela xx

Angela,
Is your new wig like your old hair or have you gone completely different? I thought I might try being a redhead.
Sometimes I put the Bachs in water and sip it and sometimes I slug it neat. x
Janet xx

Welcome Bad Bambi, there are a few of us on this group now all hoping to start chemo in May. I have Onc on 30 too.
I see your profile says you have a wicked sense of humour. Good, we are going to need lots of that. Look forward to sharing experiences.
Group Hugs
Janet xx

Marie glad you got your chemo dates through hope it makes you feel your now making progress and things are on the move. Redcap I will Survive sounds great thats the only way to think about it.
Angela xxx