1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May Moonbeams

Dodo14

Re: May Moonbeams

Hi Namaste - Good to hear from you after all this time.  So glad you have got through your treatment and yes you will get more and more towards a state of normality, although this won't be complete for quite some time for any of us I feel.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

It is very quiet on here at the moment - is everyone getting on ok? x

namaste

Hello all you lovely Moonbeams... I have just spent a couple of hours catching up on all your progress. It's heartening to see you all making such good progress but of course dreadfully sad about Karen. I don't think I'm able to say anything that won't sound trite so I won't.

You may (or may not!) remember that I was a Moonbeam (one very long year ago). I was then scheduled for another chemo regime in October and was going to join their monthly thread. As it happens I just didn't and dropped off the site for a while. On reflection, I should've stayed and got the support I needed..... but we live and learn.

Anyway, I've been struggling physically and emotionally but reading how you're all getting on has helped. It's certainly put things in perspective and made me realise I'm being a bit impatient and a bit hard on myself! I had 11 sessions of paclitaxol starting in May then 4 sessions of AC chemo starting in October... (then 20 RT finishing end Feb)  no wonder I'm not back to 'normal' yet 🙂

I'm not back at work yet which I have found frustrating but I have taken on some part time studying to keep the brain going. Patience is what I need I think so I shall be popping back now and then to keep up with you all and remind myself that it WILL be me soon that has some sort of 'normality' back.

xx

Penny47

I think we all need some proper sunshine.  Even in Guernsey they all seem to have been having UV 1 and 2 all week.  😞

Jo and Aly: A suggestion?  September 14 is a Sunday.  Those of you who can't make 13 Sept could come for a visit and lunch and a laze on the Sunday.  Those of us who have both days free could meet up Sat afternoon and have dinner and then stop overnight and then meet up with you on Sunday.  Is this too lavish as to time and money I wonder? 

Aly was it you who mentioned a place to stay?  Please PM us if so.

My GP is so kind.  He has called me in for a blood test "because you had Neutropenia last year".  Images of tick boxes cross my brain.  He will consign me to the waiting room but I have a cunning plan to escape and plant runner beans in my garden!

ps My job is fantastic.  Take a line through Puddle Lane those of you who can remember it.  Had to make my way past Morris Dancers to get to my car yesterday! 

nanniereeree

Well have been to ortho appt and there is improvement he says I can drive but still use my crutches when walking, I can use one around the house and two when I go out... Holiday to France in 3 weeks guess I will be getting a scooter otherwise I won't be leaving the motorhome lol x
barbara2013

Aly thanks for the offer to arrange meeting.

Sarah your story did amuse me but really! Perhaps he was new ?
Bit fed up today as BCN rang to say Onc wants another ct scan as my cough not gone despite steroids. I feel pretty positive at the moment but don't want to be back in the waiting room.
Enjoy bank holiday everyone.
nanniereeree

A year today since my first chemo 🙂
Aly1971

Hi all,  gosh I can't quite believe its a year since we all started chemo, funnily enough I'm not even sure what my start date was in the end I know it was late in May.

So my good news is that the Bone Scan was clear - to be honest I was pretty sure it would be as the pain had gone but you cant help but worry, needless to say I still had an hours wait for a 9am appointment to give me enough time to work myself into a ball of stress - I was in and out in 5 mins. Got my year on oncology follow up next week.

14th works for me - if we were to meet in Oxford I could drive or get the train up early on Sunday morning so maybe we could do lunch somewhere? That way if you wanted to all meet up and stay over in a hotel on the Saturday night I could just come up and join you?

Seems a shame to change the date when so many of you can make it - I'm really happy to still contact the hotel / book rooms for everyone?

Let me know what you think?

Aly xx

Zuzy

It amazes me how often people who should know better don't seem to think!

Have just remembered that it is a year today I started my chemo, think it must be a good sign that I've only remembered now at 6pm! It has been great getting to know you all, despite the circumstances.

I also would have work the next day so it would depend what we re doing and where on 14th.

Keep smiling Moonbeams, onwards and upwards!
Dodo14

Sarah - what a complete idiot!  I wouldn't have known whether to laugh or cry.

What are we suggesting for 14th September exactly?  I wouldn't be able to be anywhere late as would need to go to work in the morning so it really depends what the proposal is.

I have had a tough week, felt a bit grotty.  Minor headaches (stress and lack of sleep I think) and general symptoms.  Our kitchen work has started and it is no fun at all, plus I think I overdid it at the weekend clearing the stuff out.  Also I managed to convince myself I had found a lump at the weekend and got into a right state but ever since I can't feel a thing so I think I must have imagined it!  All these high profile cancer deaths are not helping me to feel positive about the future right now.

1 year ago this Thursday was my first FEC and my last day at work, thank you all for helping me through the very worst days. x

mills1

Hi ladies, just thought this may make you laugh? Went for follow up appointment yesterday, waited 45 mins to see doc. Doc examines both breast and this was is how it went....

Doc- Hello, do you have any concerns?

Me- Hello, No (thinking...How long have you got?) Doc prods right breast and has a sharp intake of breathe

Doc- Have you had this lump long?

My heart does a flutter as i look down thinking OH GOD, NOT AGAIN!

Me- Yes Thats my port!!!  (thought the scar may have given it away lol)

Doc- Oh, you have a port-a-cath

He continues to feel left breast and it hurts so i wince a little

Doc- Sorry, is this the side of your surgery?

YES, THE SIDE WITH THE SCARS GIVES IT AWAY!!!

Well, whem Jim and i came out about 10 mins later we didn't know what to think, would he have found anything anyway? Anyway at least i know my MRI was clear so another one next year and continue with self examination i think.lol

Take care and 14th ok for me xxx

JaneyW

14th good for me too.

Jane x

nanniereeree

14th is good for me x
Penny47

14 Sept is good for me.

Rara

Hi ladies, lovely to hear such good news from you all. We really are moving forward.
I joined this thread a year ago today and as many of you have said, it really has been a great support, you ladies are amazing. Thank you.
I can do 14th September if we decide to change the date. Would be great if everyone could attend
And we finally get to meet up

Xx
barbara2013

Well May is nearly here now. My first chemo was on the 3rd May last year and I think some of the moonbeams started before me so anniversary sooner. I shall be out celebrating with oh and best friends- another milestone.
A pity Aly can't do 13th- would the Sunday 14th be possible as it would be so good to include everyone?
Hope you are all well. Good to hear good news but also to know that you all understand how the uncertainties remain a remote spectre- other people don't really see that.
May 2014- bring it on!
Penny47

Yes I tried that for a while.  Have to try it again.  Thanks Jo!

Dodo14

Penny I used Senna.

Penny47

Jo please PM me the product you are thinking of!  I've tried most laxatives and (Aly)  Movicol is the most effective but I don't want to get addicted.  Not what you want when you are across the churchyard from the Kazi at work! 

Aly1971

Hello Moonbeams,

Sorry for the long absence, its taken quite a few days to recover from the Jet Lag and the girls only went back to school yesterday and I had to do a training walk for the Moonwalk - I managed 16 miles - very chuffed with that but boy did I feel it by the end - not sure how I'll manage another 10 on the night.

Thailand was magical - Krabi is stunning and the resort we stayed at was so relaxing - we also had the fun of Songkran which is Thai new year and basically one massive water fight - loads of Thai's in the back of pickup trucks with vats of water chucking it at each other - great fun but not for the feint hearted!

I get my bone scan results tomorrow but not stressing too much as pain has all but gone so think it was a pulled muscle - always worry about what else it might show up though - never quite shift that nag of anxiety. Nothing I can do about it though, what will be will be.

Really annoyingly 13th Sept is the one date I can't do - my eldest daughters theatre school has their first show that day - there's so many of you that can make the date though maybe you should go ahead and then we try and do another one later in the year?

So glad to hear all the good results - Penny, Sarah, Rachel I never tire of the good news it keeps me going. I can't believe that we've already reached our 1 year anniversary - thank you all so much for your amazing support, you have literally been a lifeline in the darkest of times and I think my experience of treatment would have been a very different one without you to help me through it. Here's to finally meeting you all and raising a glass to Karen.

Barbara - so glad you had a great time in Japan and so exciting that you have quite your job - I did the same 6 months ago and it has been such a positive for me, my life is certainly all the better for it, I know just work odd days here and there for the same company for a bit of extra cash and to keep the brain ticking over - which I'd done it years ago.

Penny - constipation is a nightmare - I agree Senna tablets can work and I also took Movicol last year which works wonders but you might not want to go down that road.

Aly xxxx

Dodo14

Penny, when I had terrible constipation during my Tax days last year, I used Senna herbal tablets and they got me through.

Penny47

Awful constipation.  Really painful. I don't think my diet could have any more fibre in it than it does. I eat like a horse (oats and salads) and drink like a fish.  Hate having to take laxatives.  The pain slows me down and makes it hard to walk as far as I'd like and the pain tablets probably don't do the condition any good either so I feel stuck in a vicious circle.  I had this struggle last year before I started chemo and it was a great day when I gave up the calcium for the duration!  Thinking of trying syrup of figs but it didn't help much last year.  All suggestions will be considered! 

nanniereeree

What effects do you get from the calcium tablets penny?
Penny47

Barbara I am really speechless in admiration.  We all know how much you were looking forward to your holiday, a trip which seems to have proved challenging and joyful but which would have had me on the floor with exhaustion!  And now you have had the courage to work out your priorities and implement them.  Brilliant.  Good luck with your new life!

My reduced circumstances mean that I am a happy coupon clipper.  No week is complete til I have shaved at least 15% off my shopping bill at Tescos or Sainsbury's. However, this is not enough for me. I need a beach to comb!

My job has proved to be utterly absorbing.  The week before I started I had those horrible tax-like pains in my hips.  I saw my GP who muttered something about secondaries and put me in for x-ray which I dutifully had on the first Thursday  I was supposed to hear the results Monday or Tuesday but the week whizzed by and then suddenly it was Easter and I was working hard in both jobs and then collapsing gratefully into a heap in front of the telly.  However, I was too tired to turn it on!  I was definitely in the waiting room and part of the time I was resigned to possible bad news, but most of the time too preoccupied to care.  The prevailing feeling was of unreality. Yesterday I finally rang up and was told the x-ray was normal. Quite a large bit of me thought-of course I'm fine.  Still no explanation for the pains, which come and go.  I'm back on the calcium tablets and struggling with the side efffects from those. 

All through this I've had my induction training and I've been trying to find cheap equipment to replace the stuff we've got that is on its last legs.  A bit of a gigantic easter egg hunt!

JaneyW

Well done Barbara, on completing your travel but especially for taking the courage to resign. This year has been a life changer in so many ways, hasn't it?

Now are we all on for September 13th? Should we be deciding on where and how?

It seems strange going through all these memories that start with "this time last year I was …".

You are such a wonderful group of friends. Thank you all so much.

Jane X
barbara2013

I am still in another time zone and wide awake in the middle of the night. Monday night I got up and wrote my resignation letter which I took into work yesterday. It suddenly seemed the right thing. Lots of other factors, not just cancer and carpe diem. So I shall live on sea air and love (or OH) and see what happens.
Hope all moonbeams thriving as we approach May.
x
Penny47

Yeah 4 weeks would be worth the 24 hour thing.  You'll be well over your leg by then!  You'll be able to sprint up and down the aisles and leap over the trolleys.

nanniereeree

Only a holiday we usually go for 4weeks it's so worth it though...
Penny47

Marie are you thinking of going there for a long time or just a holiday?  24 hours would be hell. 

nanniereeree

Hubby is on about us going back to Australia but he won't go until I'm better so we're planning on 2016 when he will be 60 so need to get fit before then... 24hours in the air 😞 Australia :))
barbara2013

12 hour flights- under strict instruction from onc to walk around every hour so not very restful! Longest
I have done. Worth it though.
Penny47

Barbara- your photos on FB were gorgeous.    That air journey must have been something!

Aly- your break in Thailand must have been amazing.  Glad you got a complete break!

As for me I am recovering from cooking my first joint since.....can't remember! I spent Christmas Day in bed and left the cooking to my daughter and Thanksgiving (November) we sent out for our dinner!  The rest of the time it has been casseroles (eat one, freeze 3) and veggie meals (very good for cancer sufferers, I'm told!).  Now, for the chocolate...well, I have put my easter eggs in the fridge as I have grandchildren coming to help me find easter eggs.  They are either coming tomorrow or Wednesday.  Or maybe Tuesday.  Whatever!  xx all

barbara2013

Hope you are all having a relaxing holiday weekend. Good to catch up and hear happy news, very pleased for Sarah and glad to hear from you. By the way can do Sept 13 too.
Jet lagged at the moment but had a brilliant holiday in Japan, the cherry blossom against the sharply blue eastern skies was so uplifting. We travelled around central section of Japan, snowcapped mountains, soaring cityscapes, gardens, shrines and my boy of course. I am still affected a bit by lung pneumonitis but this holiday felt like a real watershed, a new beginning. Hope this continues and for all of you too. X
Dodo14

Happy Easter to all you lovely moonbeams! xx

Penny47

It's my first anniversary of being a Moonbeam.  A nice anniversary to have.  Thank you all for your patience and bless you all with another good year.  Also it's Easter!  Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Zuzy

Seem to be acquiring far too much chocolate in my house already! Have a lovely easter everyone, xxx
Penny47

It's off my Regime list, chocolate.  But if it is made from beans and therefore if it is one of my 5(7) a day then I guess I need to have some at Easter....Happy Easter all of us!

Dodo14

Too much chocolate is a crumb for me!  I don't like it!!!!

JaneyW

What is too much chocolate?? I don't understand the concept!
Penny47

Jo-I'm still using my LGFG goodies and in fact the eye and eyebrow pencils are better than what i owned already!  Must try not to drop them this time as the leads break so easily.

Marie-bad luck about Thirsk- did you know they have an Austin Reid outlet there? We bought my OH 5 shirts there and had change from £30 (that was 5 years ago though).  But the seaside would get my vote any day.  So you ar e trading The White Horse for some White Horses!  Hope the sun keeps shining for you.

nanniereeree

Well should gave been going to thirsk with friends this weekend but they are both poorly so we are going round the coast to Wells-next-the-sea at least it's only about a hours journey in our motorhome.
Hope you all have a lovely weekend and don't eat too much chocolate 🙂
Dodo14

Rachel, I went yesterday for my LGFB workshop and came away with lots of goodies.  My daug told me that I looked a bit over the top though and that she thinks I am more beautiful without the make up - hard tobe cross with that!

It's very quiet on here - hope all of you are well and enjoying life. x

Rara

Hello ladies!
So glad to hear all your news. I thing Aly will be back from holiday soon and also Barbara, so I look forward to hearing how their holidays have been too.
Jo, you will love the LGFB workshop.
Take care and lots of love to you all xx
Penny47

Ha! Jo- the UV in Jersey was between 3-4 (most people burn in 28 minutes with 4) most of the week where as here it struggled up to a 2-3! 

Does anyone else find the sunblock irritating on the rad burns?  I have mine up to within about a centimeter of my collarbone so I have been slathering it (children's sunbolk SPF 50) on but it really stings.

Dodo14

Sarah - so glad to hear from you, especially with your good news.

I have had a lovely week in Jersey - a sharp contrast to the same week last year. Biopsy on 5th April, cancelled holiday to Edinburgh on 9th, diagnosis on 12th followed by daug breaking her arm on 14th.  I really thought this time last year that I wouldn't be here a year later.  But I am and am living life to the full!  Been on a cake making and decorating course this morning with daug which was lovely and had a bbq with friends this afternoon.  Going to a LGFB workshop finally this week too.

Thanks to all of you for holding my hand through this terrible time, lets hope the only hand holding we do from now on is the happy kind!  Love to you all. x

Zuzy

Hurrah, excellent news! Xx
nanniereeree

Woohoo Sarah that's great news xxxx
Rara

Sarah I am so so so happy for you! Hooray. Have missed you.
Looks like 13th September is a go then! Cannot wait to meet you all and have a group hug!
I love all the good news on here, it's so lovely. Look how far we have come in the year since this group started
Wonderful group of friends, thank you for being there xx
Penny47

Sarah that is such good news...You have 10 months of peace, I guess; forgot when your mammo is.  Are you also slaving to a deadline on your course?  If so, here's me sending you brainwork vibes.  xxP

mills1

Hello Moonbeams, sorry i have been quiet on here lately, i have been waiting for results. Have been very down of late but would like to share my good news with you all. I have had results of a recent MRI that say ' nothing of any concern on right side and normal appearance on the left, other than changes from surgery'. Next scan Feb next year. Thankyou ladies for all your support, i have been reading your posts but didn't want to reflect my negative mood. Wishing you all well and 13th good for me too. xxxxxxx

Penny47

Moonbeams!  Yesterday was the first anniversary of this thread!  Happy anniversary and thanks for all the patience and support!