373796posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May Moonbeams

Zuzy

Re: May Moonbeams

3ish on The sat is good for me too, those on the train are we going to try and co-ordinate? We need to decide on a plan for the eve....Aly, are you able to email us all so we can sort it out that way rather than on the public forum?
Zuzy

Hi Scattyfox, I think you maybe meant to post on the Mat 2014 thread? This is the one for those starting May13....... You're v welcome, we're a v friendly bunch, but might wonder what we're going on about some of the time! Good luck with your rads xxx
scattyfox

Hi Ladies its been a while since i was here. Ive been.in.and out of hospital since starting.tax which was then.reduced and last dose cancelled. Ive had my dots done for radio and.start on 9/9 as my surgery is still painful im not looking forward to 23 sessions and.sounds liie its going to be painful. In the meanwhile im.trying to get a family.day out on.sunday with.my boys and.grandson.and.we are going.gruffalo hunting..will be.fun.but.tiring
Penny47

Sarah you have not only defeated cancer but chemo brain so I take my hat off to you.  You done good. 

Marie hope you are not too exhausted after these first couple of weeks.  I expect you could use a long weekend. Don't turn round and tell me you're on shifts and have to work this Monday after all!

Rachel I think I can be in Oxford about 3:00pm on the Saturday.

I had my first cold since Xmas; we took the grandkids to a circus and a tiny tot (not related!) sneezed all over us.  I had a fever for exactly 12 hours, fine now.  Glad to see my immune system is giving me support.  It was almost a year ago I was in hospital with neutropaenia and UTI, watching the last night of the proms and the first Strictly and in floods of tears.  Glad to put that all behind me.  Joy of joys- my radiation site rash seems to be going. Washing is less of a trial.  Back to swimming soon.  Another tiny step forward.

Rara

Hi ladies.
Marie I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I also have a friend who has now got mets in her brain and liver. She has a baby under one year old. So sad.
Janey, best wishes for your sisters results.
Sarah, congratulations on finishing!

So looking forward to meeting. I will be there Saturday afternoon. We need to set a time ?

Have a good bank holiday weekend.

Ps. I finished chemo a year ago today!
Rachel x
Dodo14

Your hard work has paid off - well done Sarah.  Now relax and enjoy yourself for a while before the next adventure starts...

Marie - so sorry to hear about your friend.  It is always hard when you hear bad news from other people.  Keep strong.

Just got back from Italy - lovely and relaxing time. Heart scan later today and hopefully my last Herceptin next week.  Hope everyone else ok. x

nanniereeree

We'll done Sarah. I could do next wed or Friday if you want to lunch lol xx
Zuzy

Yeah! Well done you! Xx
mills1

Hello again, well that's dissertation finished and handed in today. woop woop.

Marie, i'm so, so sorry to hear of your friend. You never know what life will throw at you, how awful.

Can't wait to see you all, Marie we will have to do lunch x x

Take care all

nanniereeree

Thanks Lydia it's just awful I have lost enough people to it!!
Penny47

Marie I am so sorry to hear about this. Sometimes it is worse when you see this happening not just to friends but friend's nearest and dearest.  She is blessed to have you as a friend; you have strength to offer...not least your experiences.  Praying for you all.

nanniereeree

I'm having real bad de ja view my friends husband has lung cancer now he has tumors in his brain and he is losing his hearing and sight, it's Karen all over again 🙂 I hate this disease. They got married a year ago she has had a **bleep**e life the one good thing and it's going to be taken away from her.
JaneyW

Yes Barbara, California. (Husband is a green card holder so we have to be out of the UK a certain amount of the year - he lived here for 30 years and has an apartment here.) I'll blow a kiss for you Penny!

My sister is now home, 48 hours after surgery, with district nurse cover over the weekend and trip to the hospital on Monday for removal of axillary drain. Sore, but seems to be in good spirits.

Should we meet Saturday afternoon??

Jane x

barbara2013

Thanks. Yes swimming a really good idea for a dodgy knee. Have got the swimming costume that seems ok for skewy chest. Need to do it. Laziness. Must do it. Don't fancy changing rooms. Must do it. Sea is cold here. Should try it.
It is annual gay pride party in the park near us today. My husband remembers this day last year I was being sick most of the day following fec dose on the Friday.
Jane well done on completing herceptin and enjoy the states, is it West Coast? Hope your sister doing well following mx.
Should we arrange a meeting time for 13th ?

Penny47

Janey so glad you are through to another round.  Blow kisses to the ould sod for me please...my husband won't mind!

Penny47

Yeah swimming. My radburns are still giving me gyp so even showers and baths are something to avoid right now.  I am perfecting the art of the strip wash.  To music, too.

Dodo14

Or swimming.

Penny47

Barbara- cycling?

JaneyW

I'm so glad the neck tie was helpful Rachel!

I'm celebrating the end of my Herceptin - had the last one on Monday. Seems strange not to have the next 3 weekly appointment in the diary after chemo then H. So we're back in the US to celebrate our freedom.

I've asked the chemo unit who are selling the neck ties if they'd be willing to post them out if any of you want one before I get home.

My sister had her mastectomy yesterday, and apparently the surgeon was happy with how it had gone. She had a scan that was negative, but the final decision about chemo won't be made until the axillary nodes are studied.

Jane x

barbara2013

Yes good to see you back here Rachel. And Namaste too, really hope you will be able to come in September. I will look into booking my train ticket shortly. Aly, when do we need to pay for room ?
I think I should get one of June's cooling things too- do you put it in the fridge ? On hot flushes , does anyone else experience a throbbing full sensation in t the head with them ? My friend who went into menopause naturally says it is likely the blood rushing up but I don't much like the strange symptoms in my head and the stiff neck (probably tension).
I am going to get involved in a Macmillan project about getting active after treatment. The only exercise I am enjoying is walking. Have tried pilates and yoga but am bit reluctant. Laziness I think ! Used to run but now have arthritic knee. Any suggestions for getting fit ?
hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather.x
Rara

Hi again. I received one of Janes neck ties in the post this morning! Thanks so much Jane ( will pay you in September when we meet as arranged) . It is fabulous at cooling me during a hot flush. I can totally recommend.
A thousand thank yous
Xx
nanniereeree

That's what I do Rachel memory ain't wat it used to be lol x
Dodo14

Yeah great to see you back on Rachel. x

Rara

Thanks Marie! It's great to be back. Have missed the forum. Was so pleased when I finally managed to reset log in. I have set it up to keep me logged in on iPad.

Xx
nanniereeree

Woo hoo Rachel's back in the house lol xxxx
Dodo14

Now that sounds like a plan Zuzy.  I might just join you...

Zuzy

I'll prob be on the train so sharing taxis/lifts sounds like a good plan. I think the hotel has a spa so I was thinking I might get there a bit earlier and treat myself to a pedicure........ Xx
Rara

Hi ladies. Finally got on here!

Janey, I am sorry to hear about your sisters diagnosis but pleased to hear she won't have to have chemo. Still a horrible time and such a worry.
Great to hear how well you are all doing despite some minor hiccups.
So looking forward to meeting everyone in September.
I am going on a one day course in August called ACT which has been set up by my clinical shrink. It's about acceptance of what's happened. Be interesting to see if it helps.

The weather has been very hot here recently which is lovely but not so easy for those of us on Tamoxifen etc. I regularly run my wrists under the cold tap to cool myself down.
I have now got 6 weeks off for summer. Not going far as still recovering financially! Going to enjoy the rest and recuperation.
Have a lovely weekend ladies

Love Rachel xx
JaneyW

I'll be driving too, so add me to the list of 'taxi drivers'.
Dodo14

Penny, I am driving there.  Happy to come and pick some of you up at the station though. x

Penny47

Sept meetup-Why don't we meet at the station and share taxis?

Penny47

Great to hear from you Namaste.  When I saw the CS she was emphatic that normal is feeling tired, sick, pathetic etc for a year,  But she made it clear that one year means one year from the end of all treatment.  So for me that means January 2015.  That really made me re-evaluate my expectations of myself.  I'm still having two siestas a week, especially in this heat.  It's a regime which works for me.  I'm not sure how to increase my fitness as my chemo feet have got mixed up with a bunion which decided to flare up.  Still managing to walk a lot though.  Working part time but in two different jobs, and then there's the housework and shopping.....Every so often I have to stop and have a strop with myself about not caring for myself as I should.  That's my excuse for the piles of washing still sitting in the conservatory!

Q: How do you get a piano through a keyhole?

A Splinter by Splinter. 

(over 60's (or people like me who were daft teenagers in the 1960's)

usually know the answer to this one.)

Keep on taking care!  And hope to meet you in September!

namaste

Morning Moonbeams 🙂 Just spent an hour catching up with you all.... plenty of ups and downs as usual! I do so admire those of you who've been able to do the run/walks, kudos to you. And Jane, hugs for your sister, I can't imagine the emotional fallout but I'm sure you'll keep each other going through treatment etc. Never ends does it?

I've had my end of treatment mammogram and everything seems good. I still have that niggling fear (you all know that one!) but I'm trying not to let it overwhelm me. Easier said than done though. So on top of my hip pains and peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet I've now been diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulder. I'm only 52 but sometimes I feel blerdy ancient. I'm sure I'll find a way to deal with all this leftover physical stuff but's it's soooo frustrating not being able to do what I want. I'm still only p/t at work and I know I had a full year of treatment but still, I want to be back to 'normal' ~ whatever that is!

It's great a meet up's finally coming. I may be able to come up for the day but not sure yet. Would be lovely to meet you all, especially Barbara who's in my neck of the woods. Anyway, hope you're all enjoying the sun and not struggling too much with flushes etc. Take care x

JaneyW

Quiet is probably good, thinking of this time last year!
I spent time with my sister this week and she seems to be in quite a good frame of mind. Chemo seems unlikely, so we're praying that she'll just need the surgery.
On another tack entirely, I've been making cooling neck ties, profits to my local chemo unit. They really do have a cooling effect in hot weather or hot flushes. If any of you would be interested please pm me.
Love to you all
Jane X
barbara2013

It is very quiet on here. Perhaps on summer holidays ? We are planning on a couple of short breaks soon but hoping to go to the US later in the year.
We should perhaps make a meeting point and time for the Saturday maybe late afternoon to allow for travel ? The hotel is not in the city so we would need to stay there or travel into Oxford ? Parking in Oxford is a bit of a nightmare but there are buses. Any thoughts ?
Hope you are all well and enjoying the weather . Xx
Zuzy

Morning ladies, hope you're all ok. I had a lovely lunch with Aly yesterday and am looking forward to meeting you all in Sept. We need to decide what to do on Saturday...... Have a good weekend xxx
barbara2013

So sorry you are going through this Jane. Will she need further treatment after surgery this time ? Take care of yourself too.
Penny47

Aww gee Jane. The feeling is mutual.  You and your sister!  Where would I have been without the hula hoops?

I've just seen this today.  It's horrible when your own family has it.  But perhaps better for you both, you having been through it too.  Thinking of you both.

JaneyW

Thank you ladies for your encouragement. I do agree that in some ways it's harder to watch chemo in someone you love than to do it. I certainly found it very hard to look after her when she had chemo before.
It doesn't seem to be genetic, but you're right, it's hard not to overthink it all.
Thank you again for your support, good wishes and love. What would I do without you lot?
nanniereeree

Oh bummer Janey, I too think it's worse when it's someone else, not you going through it. Especially family. Keep positive as Rachel says and Karen said " all our paths are different " sending hugs xxx
Dodo14

So sorry to hear that Jane.  It must be devastating for your family to have to deal with this so close to the end of your treatment and of course it will reinforce your silent worries about recurrence too.  Is there a genetic link or is it just terrible luck?  Try to remember that this doesn't mean it will come back for you, and as my surgeon told me - it isn't a recurrence in the breast you need to be worried about.  That they can deal with - fingers crossed that when your sister has her surgery that will be the end of treatment for you both and you can both move on - together. Thinking of you and sending you my love. x

Zuzy

Oh Jane, that is rubbish, I am so sorry for you and for your sister, it really is unfair. You are bound to be upset, I think that in some ways it is harder to watch others go through things than go through it ourselves. Thinking of you both.
Xxx
JaneyW

I've been pondering whether or not to share this, but actually I need your support please. My younger sister, who had breast cancer 13 years ago and was hugely supportive of me last summer (it was she who recommended the hula hoops!), has been diagnosed with a new primary in the same breast. She has a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction at the end of this month. I feel like the ceiling has fallen in. It seems so unfair for her. I have my last Herceptin due 2 days earlier, and the whole family was on countdown to end of hospitals for a bit. Funnily enough I’m weepy for her in a way I never was for myself. It seems there’s no end to all this rubbish.

Aly1971

Well done Jo - what an amazing achievement.

Marie I'll be there in September although sadly not for Saturday night just Sunday for lunch.

I think at the moment we have:

Marie

Penny

Zuzy

Jane

Sarah

Jo

Barbara

Rachel

Patricia

Is that right??

Let me know if I've missed anyone off - and of course goes without saying anyone whose not been on for a while and wants to join us is absolutely more than welcome. Just PM me and I can send you the details.

Hotel is booked and a nice place for lunch the next day - I'll PM you all the latest. I also need full names from everyone for the hotel room list, I've got some but not everyone.

Hope you're all well and enjoying the sunshine - meeting Zuzy for lunch on Friday which will be lovely.

xxxx

Dodo14

Hope this picture works!  Yes 5K in 1 hour.  Still exhausted today - especially as been on a school trip to the farm...

I am going in September Marie.  Looking forward to seeing you all there. x

nanniereeree

Right ladies who is going in sept? I know me Rachel and Sarah are but who else?
JaneyW

Well done Jo!! You're amazing!

barbara2013

Congratulations Jo is that 5k in an hour ? Impressive. I did the race a few times before BC and always found it very moving so thank you for running for the moonbeams. I used to run for my gran and my cousin, never thought it might be me. Xx
barbara2013

mills1

click on your name above the rabbit avatar and you should see the link on the right hand side. Well done you xx