cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Exemption certificate

7 REPLIES 7
mggdggn@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Medical Exemption certificate

Low income scheme is means tested the form to ask is the HC1, worth trying to see if you qualify....
Good luck
Maggie x
catseye

Hi Scone,

Yes, Maggie is correct. The NHS Medical Exemption Certificate only applies to prescriptions for medicines, not dental or optical treatment.
If you are on Income Support, Penson Credit guarantee credit, Income based Jobseekers Allowance, Income related Employment and Support Allowance or have an NHS Tax Credit exemption certificate, (maybe this is what your friend had), then you automatically get help towards Dental and Optical treatment. As you work full time I'm guessing you are not on any of these.
However, if you work but are on a low income, you may be able to claim some help by filling out a form called an HC1, (you can get this at dentists or opticians). This looks at your income and outgoings and decides whether you are eligible for help and lasts for up to one year.
Good luck!
Tolliebelle

Hi
You only qualify for the free dental etc if you are claiming benefits ie JSA ESA but I am not sure about working tax credits so if you claim these for being on low income you may be able to claim for dental etc. You need to complete form that you can get from jobcentre think it is NHS1 but could be something completely different (and I work in JCP!!)
Worth a look into anyway
scone

Thanks for this info everyone.
Maggie, do you know if you have to be claiming any benefits to qualify for low income scheme?
I work full time,so I doubt if I'd qualify, but I'll cerainly check this out at my next appointment.
I know what you mean Lozza, I feel I'm slowly falling apart too, I used to be the proud owner of perfect set of teeth, but post chemo they're not looking so good, have been told I have gum disease and I have a calcium pocket at the top of one tooth making the tooth a good couple of mm longer than the others - what a freak!!

Jude
x

mggdggn@yahoo.co.uk

Don't quote me but I think there are 2 different exemptions.... One is the 'free' prescriptions only which is signed by the Gp, the other is 'help with health costs' which is low income scheme' which is for prescriptions, NHS dental treatment, NHS wigs and fabric supports, sight tests, glasses and contact lens, travel to receive NHS treatment......you can claim for yourself, partner or children..... I believe costs are backdated and paid back...,
Good luck
Maggie
Lozzarooney1

My dentist also told me the exemption card didn't apply 😞 Shame as I have had to have 2 teeth built up since BC treatment started as parts have broken off. It is a private dentist tho I think it does have some NHS patients. It feels like I'm falling apart... £180 down so far... almost to scared to eat anything these days and I can't blame it on chemo as I didn't have any!
Sorry for ranting! And hugs to everyone
Lozza xx
Zuzy

My dentist told me that the exemption didn't apply to dental work so like you I pay for that, will try again next time if others are getting it free!
scone

Medical Exemption certificate

Hello
I'm not sure if this is posted in the correct section, if it's not can someone at BCC move please?
I qualifed for a medical exemption certificate just over 2 years ago but have only used it for my prescriptions so I do not have to pay.
A friend who also has BC has one of these and she tells me that she has been using this for dental work.
i don't know why but I presume I wasn't covered for dental work, I go to the hygienist every 3 months so it's a costly business so would be eager to know if this is correct.
Would eye tests and glasses also be covered I'm due for a test soon so would appreciate any advice.
If dental work is included - what are my chances of getting previous 2 years payments refunded? I have no reciepts but i have my bank statements to prove I've paid.
Thanks for listening.

Jude

x