Medication, general anaesthetic and hospital phobia.

Anybody else conquered this and if so how? This is a lifelong problem for me, resulting in having panic attacks if I even take a paracetamol ( and have only done that once in 15 years). How will I do what I need to do without screaming, and hyperventilating, diahorrea (sorry tmi)  and having waves of panic attacks? What will happen if I do?

A lumpectomy is my primary concern right now. I’m not just talking fear here, I’m talking vomiting and refusal for any medication. This is all not helped by health anxiety in the past of course. If someone else has tried cbt, or hypnotherapy or being knocked out with a brick ( joke of course lol) and it has worked then I’d be interested to hear. 

I don’t think I have the private messaging function yet, so if anybody can equate to this then a reply would be great. 

Thanks everso

Charys

I can’t help you with the medication aspect but If you explain to them about your fears I know on the day of surgery they can give you a sedative to help you relax a few hours before going to theatre. 

Charys,there are a lot of us out there who have only managed to get through treatment with the aid of valuin or similar.You need to speak to your G.P asap re what they can do to support you .I have suffered from panic attacks particularly in connection to health appointments ,I think you will be surprised how much you can deal with when you really have no choice but to grit your teeth and get on with it .

Worked for me !!

So got my lumpectomy date…19th. Of course dissolved into terrified crying after the call and had the usual IBS response, if you know what I mean. 

Just don’t know how I’m gonna do it…they have arranged a chat with the anaethetist…

Hi Charys,

I too was terrified. I’d never had surgery of any kind and did not know what to expect I was very scared that I would have some kind of panic attack but I didn’t. I ended up having two surgeries and on both occasions the anaesthetists were fantastic, really putting me at ease. They know exactly how we might feel and are very good at dealing with the situation. On the first occasion we were having a rant about government cuts to the NHS and the next minute I was waking up in the recovery room - the anaesthetist was so good at distracting me I hardly realised I was going under. 

I can honestly say it was nothing like I expected - in a good way.

Ruth xx

That’s very encouraging, I only hope my anaethetist is as kind and thoughtful. Thanks for your reply. 

Hi Charys. I come at it from the other side having been an anaesthetic nurse before I had my children (20+ years ago) however my sister in law is still one now and was ale to do the list I was on. We are more than used to patients being terrified. I know pre ops aren’t used anymore but you could ask the anaesthetist if they would give you one. Alternatively ask your gp for something.
Remember you got through going to your gp and having the initial tests. It really is something you have to conquer to get rid of this evil invader. I would rather have the short term panic than the long term worrying it’s going to spread etc.
Even though I knew the procedure inside out I’m still amazed I was chatting to my sis in law one minute and the next I was back on the ward. The worse thing for me was that they gave me a hefty whack of morphine in theatre just before the end of the op and the nurses on the ward just kept saying I’d feel like I’d had a good drinking session which is OK but I don’t drink and have never even been tipsy so it was odd but not unpleasant. Xx

Thank you both.  Yeah, I don’t want a whack of morphine and to feel drunk either, as I’ve been teetotal most of my life. I guess I could ask to not have that? Interesting that you have seen it from the other medical side yourself. I hope you are right and they are used to terrified people…mind, I’d guess you would know having been a nurse…

Hello Charys, the first WLE I had last April was brill!  Chatting to the team on the theatre bed, then next minute heard someone calling my name in recovery and felt fine immediately.  Had second WLE 2 weeks later and not so good, felt sick and wobbly in recovery, but again it does pass.  As everyone has said, do speak to the pre-op and the anasthetist on the day spend time with you to put you at ease.  Everyone is there to help you and they do understand your nerves. Good luck.

Thanks to all three of you for your replies, you are all kind to give your thoughts to me at times when you have your own worries. At least I know that everybody has come out of it ok, with slightly differing responses but generally very quick recoveries. 

I remember being in the recovery room & being asked if I was o.k. & saying I wanted to go back to sleep as I was having a good dream! And they laughed & said ’ go back to sleep then’. I really think the anticipation is worse Charys. Xx

Further freaked out now. Results of blood test show I am anaemic, and for ‘precautionary reasons’ they want blood match /types in case I need blood. I’m only having a lumpectomy…are they expecting major blood loss???

anyone else having problems with private messaging, I kept getting the message saying that the message I a, replying to can’t be found?