Meeting the oncologist...

Afternoon ladies!!

Seriously need to catch up with all of your news on the other threads but before I do I thought I’d post a quick update on my meeting with the oncologist. I shall refer to them as the oncologist and ‘they’ so there are no identifiers whatsoever - for reasons which will become apparent…

I have to say that so far I have felt in safe hands with the NHS - speedy referral by my GP, breast surgeon seems very knowledgable and reassuring but today was more than a little disconcerting. It all started off well, examination of my breast, a discussion about why I’m having neoadjuvant chemo (to downsize the lump for breast conserving surgery) but then the oncologist said “well, if your lump disappears totally, you’d need a mastectomy anyway.” ?

Errrr, so completely contradicting what the breast surgeon said then - and the whole point of me having chemo first is so that I can avoid a mastectomy!!! The titanium marker in my breast is there precisely to show where the lump is/was. Obviously realising that this was the wrong thing to say given that the multi disciplinary team has signed off on this breast conserving approach, they hastily added “anyway, I keep out of surgical decisions.”

I was then taken at length through the chemo drug regimen, the myriad side effects and the consent form. Back to waiting room to have my blood taken and then 5 minutes later, the consultant comes scurrying out and asks me to go back into their office. To cut a long story short, they had taken me through the wrong drug combination for my neoadjuvant chemo!!! I should actually be having EC and Docetaxel. I was so taken aback that we just made light of the error - we all have a bad day at the office after all. But now I’ve had time to think about it I’m going to ask for a second consultant to double check what drugs and dosage I’ll be having, as this has understandably shaken my confidence in the oncologist. I’m sure they won’t be thrillled and it won’t do much for my relationship with them but it’s not like prescribing the wrong hay fever tablets.

Anyway, slightly long post but just needed to get it off my chest. Hope everyone’s had a slightly better day!!!

?Bakewell xx

PS  CK - May have to learn how to make Shepherd’s pie given it’s so good it even gets an outing at breakfast!! My Domestic Goddesstry doesn’t really stretch to cooking ? 

Hi cherry, what an awfull time for you, to be told one thing, then another, i can totally understand why you would want a second opinion, you want to feel there doing the right thing for you, and now your unsure, at the end of the day we are in there hands, it needs to be right, all the best to you xxx

CherryBakewell

OMG I can totally understand why you would want another consultant/surgeon to review your treatment plan, and the other members of the mdt should understand and respect your decision after all it is their mistake.  Fortunately the mistake has been discovered now before you started treatment.

Helena xxx

That is scary Cherry. I am off to oncologist tomorrow so will be very wary!

Wow what a meeting. You put yourself in the hands of the experts and assume they know whatbtheyre doing so to get an error like that must have dented your confidence in them. I have my first appointment on Thursday which will hopefully go smoothly but it’s always something to bear in mind and don’t be afraid to ask for a second opinion

Hope you’re ok x

CherryB
I’m so alarmed at your post! You need to ring your surgeons secretary to ask to speak to them and also the chemo nurses. The oncologist isn’t the one who will be doing your treatment but rhey most definitely need to know what they are talking about. Tjis isnt excusable and they cannot say I keep out of surgical decisions. Sonebody needs to be tols about this as you will be helping towards rhis not happening to others! What’s happened has happened and what’s been said has been said but it this could cause much distress for someone who wasn’t as strong as you or could change it into a lighthearted situation.
It’s not acceptable, they can’t take it personal, and it won’t damage the way you are going to be treated. You need peace of mind. We trust these people and you need to be confident that you are in good hands! Go to the right people and kick ass!!!xxx

Thats it CherryB
I’m thinking to ring surgeon secretary to make sure surgeon is in or they can arrange for you to see him. BC nurses should also know but you need to speak to both. But you do need to mention everything you went through and what was said, just as you explained on here…and I want you walking away with peace of mind. Please don’t just go along with something if you have your doubts. Trust and peace of mind with tbe people treating you plays a very important part of your treatment.xxx

Morning ladies.
Hope you have had a good sleep, meaning not woken up as many times in the night:) I didn’t have chance to nap yesterday so I slept very well and remembering not to have any caffeine after 6pm!

CherryB
You will be cool. You are preparing yourself and trying to be upbeat about it all which will help towards treatment. Of course we have our down days but we try to pull ourselves out of them quickly otherwise we would we unhappy all of the time.
Definitely get to speak to many about your concerns today. It is extremely important to feel at ease going ahead.

Home made shepherds pie most definitely!!! Non left for brekkie today so I’ve gone’normal’ and had granola hut with soya milk! Your taste buds will change dramatically so see what appeals at the time.

I now have friends home made pasta cooked in garlic and tomato with bacon to get through today! I think I my taste buddies are saying yes.

Good luck with the echocardiogram and appointment today.

Lots of love.xxx

What a disturbing experience! I have just got my appointment through for next Thursday and I will be watching them like a hawk!
I hope that you get some straight answers and an apology soon.

Update:

So I borrowed CK’s kick ass boots today and as I was at the hospital anyway for my echocardiogram I swung by the Breast Clinic first thing. Luckily my breast care nurse was there so I told her what happened with the oncologist. Interestingly she wasn’t at all surprised!!! But she assured me that if my surgeon is convinced that a lumpectomy is possible then that’s what we’re still aiming for. She also said that if I wasn’t happy I could always change oncologist and that she’d get the multi-disciplinary team to double check my chemo protocol in their meeting today. By the end of the day I got confirmation that the drugs and the dosage are now definitely right. 

Feel a lot more comfortable for having had it checked. It’s just too important for us to be polite, shrinking violets.

Hope everyone’s doing ok…

CherryBakewell xx 

So pleased for you it’s important to stand up for yourself x

Glad you borrowed my kick ass boots? and feel more at ease now Cherry! Well done!xx