Microcalcifications 18 months post wlic, rads and hormone thereapy.

I underwent a core needle biopsy on Monday because microcalcifications have been found at the site of the original cancer and just under the skin. In Novemer 2005, I had wlic, radiotherapy and take Aromasin. Obviously, I’m terrified it’s come back, or is on its way. I go for the results next Wednesday.

Anyone else had experience of this?

Love

redpolo

Hi redpolo, I was diagnosed about the same time as you and had the WLE, lymph node removal, rads then Tamoxifen, 3 weeks after the WLE, I had biopsies on the same breast for microcalcifications that were quite deep, everything was fine, then this year I had the biopsies on the other breast for microcalcifications and again they were fine, I am back seeing my Breast Surgeon for check up again next Wed so prob get another mammogram to check on the calcifications, I am sure all will be well redpolo, they just keep a very good eye on you, which I feel does give you a feeling of security because they are so on the ball. Let me know how you get on, try not to worry, easier said than done, I know.

Rowlaine

Hi rowlaine

Thanks so much for that, it really helps. I’ve searched global websites for the last few weeks, you know how it is, you just need some reassurance. I hope you keep well. All my love for Wednesday and I will post my results after Wednesday.

redpolo

Red Polo - I first had BC in 1990 with lots of microcalcifications in the other breast. They are still there today and causing no problem. My BC came back again in the original breast in April and I had another lumpectomy and am now on Arimidex and not enjoying the hot flushes and tiredness - although I do think the latter may be old age!! Do let us know how you get on. I send you a big hug.

Dear Olivia07

Thanks for your support, I’m so encouraged this afternoon after a few weeks of feeling I’m out there in a wilderness. I tried Arimidex and Femara at the beginning and couldn’t tolerate either - bone pain etc. However, Aromasin has been fine - it has a steroidal base and acts in a ‘kinder’ way I’m told. The hot flushes and sweats do diminish, honestly.

Love

redpolo

Hi redpolo, I know what you mean, you do feel like you are in a wilderness, it is such scary stuff, our bodies seem to go through so much, I could not tolerate the Tamoxifen, joint pains so stopped taking it but had total hysterectomy and ovaries removed 10 weeks ago because of large cyst on ovary, not allowed any HRT so straight into surgical menopause, it wasn’t too bad but joint pain back with a vengeance!! have been taking calcium tablets and cod liver oil but going to ask on Wed if I can maybe get something else as joints are really quite sore, my shoulders etc even crack when turn over in bed. I know how you feel waiting for results, even the checkups I get nervous, but my surgeon has been brill he says he just wants to make sure no changes in the microcalcifications, be thinking of you on Wed chick, let each other know how we get on, love and hugs hun,

Rowlaine

All the best to you too Olivia07

Hi rowlaine

You really have been through the mill, haven’t you. The joint and bone pains are excruciating aren’t they! I’m post menopausal so wasn’t given Tamoxifen but AIs instead. This has been going on for 5 years for me, they found the tumour in 2002, decided not to do a core needle biopsy because of where it was and discharged me for 3 years. I was recalled again after a routine mammogram in 2005, they did the core needle biopsy and the rest is history. However, that 3 year delay is the cause of a great deal of sleepless nights and anxiety for me, especially at times like this.

I wish you all the best for Wednesday, let me know how you get on, I will be thinking of you. Lots of love and lots of hugs - we are survivors and we will beat this dreadful disease!!

Redpolo

Hi Redpolo, I can only imagine that 3yr delay, it must have been horrible for you, the bone and joint pains are excrutiating, but like you said we are survivors and we will beat this terrible disease, love and hugs to you too hun, I will be thinking of you too, will get back to you Wednesday, the worrying is such a huge part in all of this too, speak soon,

Take care,

Rowlaine

Hi rowlaine

Got the results, all 14 samples benign - fat necrosis and scar tissue, but some people at the case conference wanted ‘bigger’ samples of calcicification so they wanted to take more! Had another 5 done today, most horrendous experience! Get the results a week on Wednesday. Consultant said had it have been anyone else but me, they would have been discharged for 12 months, ‘but with my history’ whatever that means. Today was just awful, I asked why I was having more biopsies and got a completely different tale!

I think I’m at the end now, can’t really take much more. Trying to cope with this, hold down a full-time very responsible job, run a home etc. I live alone so don’t have anyone around to talk to.

Love

Red Polo

Hi Redpolo,

Was quite worried about you, tried send you PM but would not send, I really feel for you having those biopsies they are not nice at all.
2 weeks after my WLE surgeon wanted biopsies for deeper calcifications in that breast, my wound was still really sore and I have a small bust anyway and trying to get the biopsies was the most awful experience, I ended up on a trolley as passed out and ended up only getting that breast done, could not have coped with other side after that, anyway it took me a year to finally go for the other side, I really know where you are coming from, bless you.
Good news about bening benign, I am sure your results will be okay, they are just erring on cautious which is good.
I posted another one to let you know I am going for bone scan, I always see original Consultant who operated on me as he the only one I trust, anyway because of my hysterectomy he wants me to have scan because of the pain and also to check everything okay before I start new hormone treatment now have been put through the menopause, he said he could feel no lumps or bumps, but bit concerned bowt the back pain, I must admit I am on strong painkillers 4x daily now as pain at bottom of back really is sore and waking me up all the time, it is tender to touch and is in my hips now when walking, also in my right shoulder and base of neck.
Just back from GP and signed me off another month!! wish I could get back to work but she said to wait until had bone scan as my job is heavy, I would just love to feel normal for a change, feel like I’m whinging to OH all the time and having to sleep in other room cos of being up and down all night.
Have

Have they said why they wanted more biopsies hun? I know what you mean about being at the end of tether, it will be even harder for you living alone and holding down responsible job and everything else that you have to deal with.

I hope it all gets bit better for you, it is hard with no-one to talk to, I know I just have my OH, he sometimes just gets a glazed look when I ask him things, lovely friends try but it is not the same as they really don’t know what going through as they thank god have not been through it, anyway hun, keep in touch, let me know how you are getting on,

Love and hugs,

Rowlaine x

Hi Rowlaine

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Monday was just awful; it was the person who put the wire in prior to my op and she doesn’t know the meaning of ‘ligh touch’! I’m just so surprised how much it takes out of you though, my legs are still very wobbly - feel like a right wimp! They said they wanted bigger bits of the calcification (I have a feeling it’s more to cover their backs than mine because of the 3 year delay)

When is your bone scan? I’m sure all will be fine for you, I was in a dreadful state with the first two ai’s I took (Arimidex and Femara) I was having radiotherapy at the time and had to travel by car, train and bus and my right leg kept giving way and I couldn’t grip with my hands. My bones ached all the time too - like toothache in the long bones in your body so I do sympathise.

You will feel normal again, you and your poor body have been through so much!

We do beat ourselves up don’t we? We should be kinder to ourselves and not expect so much.

My love and very best wishes. I will let you know how I get on, email back if you want to chat.

Redpolo xxx

Hi Redpolo,

I bet Monday was bad, awful things, I agree they will probably be covering their backs with that 3yr delay, I know about the wobbly legs!!
I felt a wimp after the one’s after my operation, they had to bring the trolley in for me and the waiting department was full, it was the 1 time I went on my own too, I felt a right banana, but it did hurt, alot.

The way you explained the pain like toothache is exactly how I’ve been trying to describe it but couldn’t find the words I needed, since having the hysterectomy my brain keeps going fuzzy and I forget what I was saying mid sentence, lol.

Went to see the occupational health nurse from work today and told her I hope to be back in 4 weeks, so fingers crossed, she said I will be phased in gently to build my stamina up again, which is good.I think I will be a whole lot better once back at work, I think I have too much time to dwell on things at the mo, nurse says she thinks the pains are from the hysterectomy and that I am making it worse by worrying.

I have not got my appointment through yet for my bone scan, so keep thinking it can’t be too bad or I would have been there by now.

I am dreading the bone scan, I hope it is not like the MRI as I am very claustrophobic and cannot go in the ‘tunnel’

Definately let me know how you get on, we should really be kinder to ourselves but we always do expect more from ourselves.

Email back if you want to chat at all, take care for now speak soon,

Love and best wishes too,

Rowlaine x

Hi Rowlaine

I think you are spot on with everything you say, and I also think you’ve been plunged right into experiencing menopausal symptoms which tend to creep up naturally if you have a natural ‘change’. Don’t know much about Tamoxifen but it is a hormone and your body needs to adjust to everything it’s been through. I did a phased return to work even though I worked from home from the week after my op.

When I did go back I found my confidence had taken a bashing, I used to write everything down so I wouldn’t forget but you also have to relax and do what you can do and only that. Things will get back to some kind of normality, although I don’t think life is ever the same again. But you know what they say, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Accept the new person who will emerge and don’t be too hard on her!

Yes, I think they are covering their backs with me, I spoke to my solicitor last Friday and told her what I thought and she said I was spot on - pity they didn’t do this 5 years ago though. Still a very tense and worrying time, can’t believe what this last biopsy has taken out of me - feel so weak - I actually burst into tears yesterday at work! Doh!

I think your bone scan is a precaution - is it to check the condition of your bones i.e. osteoporosis or for something else? If it’s for osteo, it’s really nothing to worry about, I insisted on one last year because of the medication and its effects but I was informed when I went to the hospital that they do them routinely now.

Keep looking forward, not back and don’t expect too much too soon, you’re doing really well. If you do want to look back, look how far you’ve come!

My love and very best wishes. Will speak to you soon.

Redpolo xxx

Hi Redpolo,

I really feel for you with the biopsies, I know where you are coming from, when I saw Consultant after the one’s after my WLE I told him it was like torture, they felt barbaric, he really did not think I would ever get them done on my left side, I actually had to go to my GP and get Diazipam and took them an hour before my appointment, without them I would not have gone through with it, I must admit it did help alot but I would not have been able to to it without them, I was so pleased when they were clear as I was so afraid to get them again, on my last check up last Wed he said my mammograms will show any changes with the microcalcifications and I may need biopsies again!
So honestly hun do not feel bad because you were upset, I think you have been very brave because you have also had to deal with your delay, which I think is disgusting, so don’t you pull yourself to bits, I don’t care what anyone says those biopsies can be traumatic.

On a lighter note, my youngest son has come to stay with me for a while, I am being dragged out on the town tonight, kicking and screaming!! He just laughs at me when we can’t get a taxi home and I start moaning everywhere, oh to be young again, lol.

I was hoping to get to see my eldest daughter before going back to work, she had her 2nd baby, a little girl, 2 days after my hysterectomy, she had a DVT during her pregnancy which was awful but luckily a quick and easy birth but they are trying to sort her warfarin out which is not easy so she is at hospital twice a week at mo, bless her, she only 7 stone, but am so pleased with her she is breastfeeding fine and baby is now 14lbs!!! Just wished I lived nearer to her.

I hope everything goes okay with you chick, I understand it is such a tense and worrying time for you, shame we can’t give our emails out here, but am here if you need to chat, you take care, speak soon,

Love and hugs, Rowlaine xx

Hi Rowlaine

You sound as though you have a lovely family, go and paint the town red. You are so similar to me, I don’t have a ‘taxi mentality’ either! My grandson was born just as I got my diagnosis, almost to the day! It’s been great watching him grow, I’ve measured my progress with his. They’ve just moved house because they needed something bigger, my son’s partner has a 13 year old daughter by a previous relationship - she’s my surrogate grand daughter and is delightful!

Have a great time tonight and relax.

Speak to you soon.

Redpolo xxx

Hi Redpolo,

I did send you a reply yesterday, be lost in cyber space,lol.

Well did not quite paint the town red, came home earlyish, son had 1 too many!!!

How old is your grandson now? Mine is 6yrs, love him to bits, such a sensitive little boy, but they cheer you up so much don’t they.
My grand daughter is a little peach she is coming on by the day, I just wish they lived nearer, Your grand daughter will be a delight to you, do you get to see them quite often?

I have had no word yet for my scan, been wondering if they are going to send for me now.

Anyway off to start lunch, having an easy day!

Take care, speak soon,

Rowlaine xx

Hi Rowlaine

Glad you had a good time, even though someone had one too many as sons do! My grandson is 21 months old and is a delight. My grand daughter is 14 next month - I call them Pedigree 1 and 2 - only joking of course. They do live quite near, about 4 or 5 miles so we see quite a bit of each other and I look after the children whenever I can. I tend to work quite long hours because I have to travel into Manchester every day by train so it adds a couple of hours to my day.

Don’t worry about the scan, it will be fine.

Went out for a lovely meal last night at a really nice place in the country. Had just met a new man when all this business flared up a few weeks ago. I thought everything was fine then bang! this happens. It’s a real conversation stopper, I can tell you. Anyway, he’s still around but I don’t know him well enough to kind of ‘lean on’ if you know what I mean. If I get the all clear on Wednesday, then it gives things a bit more of a chance (or not as the case may be).

I’m getting a bit twitchy about Wednesday I have to say. I dreamt about a radiographer in white and maroon last night - she was coming towards me to do another biopsy!

Hope you enjoy your Sunday lunch.

Speak to you soon.

Love

Redpolo xx

Hi Redpolo,

Lunch was lovely, Just received letter from hospital to see Surgeon, no mention of scan!! probably decided against it, must just be starting me on medication now through the surgical menopause.

Well done you, meeting new man, I am sure all will be okay with hosp and he will stick around too.

That is good you getting to see grandchildren often, they are such an uplifter, 21 months is a brilliant age, just getting their own little personality.

Won’t be on line for a little while as going to get a new internet provider, my son has been on computer and I have viruses, so get cleaned completely, could string him up!!

I know those dreams well about coming to get you for biopsies, arghh!!! not nice.

Anyway hun as soon as I get computer sorted I will give you a shout, take care and speak soon,

Rowlaine xx

Hi Rowlaine

Thanks for the good wishes, keep all crossed for me tomorrow. Hope all goes well with your visit too.

Speak soon.

Look after yourself. Lots of love.

Redpolo xx

Hi Redpolo,

fingers and toes crossed hun, let me know how you get on,

speak soon,

Take care,

Love n hugs

Rowlaine xx