1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microcalcifications - Heterogeneous

68 REPLIES 68

Re: Microcalcifications - Heterogeneous

Thanks. A week feels like forever at the moment. Hope you are doing OK.
Xx

The horrible, horrible wait!! Try to put it out of your head Poppyfields. You are doing so well. Sending you a hug xc

Thanks both of you. Counting down to results day now. 16th. Seems so far away....

Xx

Hi Poppyfields 

Glad wound is healing well . Good luck with your results . Thinking of you . Big hugs xxx

Hiya poppyfields glad your checkups went well big hugsx

My check up at the hospital was OK today. They are happy with my wound and all looking very good. They said I can now get it wet and can't wait to have a nice long shower!

Unfortunately my results aren't in yet but the consultant has booked me to see my surgeon on Thurs 16th and she said the results should be available by then. So at least I have a date now.
Xx

Hi. Yes I am in Spain but about 4 hours from Marbella and wouldn't be able to help unfortunately with clinics but I'll take a look at the post just in case I can help language wise etc. I get all my care within the Spanish national health system.
X

Hi Poppyfields 

Hope you dont mind but theres a lady on here asking if anyone knows of nursing agency in Marbella .. my geography of Spain not great . But I thought of you straight away ...Im sure youre in Spain , forgive me if Iv got it wrong . Shes on the just diagnosed thread .

Steph xx

Hi Poppyfields 

Glad to hear you sounding positive and in good spirits . Fab news that all is going well . Big hugs xxx

Drain and bandaging removed today at hospital check up. No sign of infection and looking good so far. I'm sleeping well and not much pain now. Got my sports bra on now and much more comfy!! I'm in good spirits actually, I feel I'm being very well looked after and better out than in!

Next hospital check up is next Monday.
Xx

Just a correction to my post below. No fibrosis was taken, it was the fibroadoema that had previously been talked about removing.

Hi, 

The surgeon said before i went into theatre more surgery may be needed depending on the result. There are other ladies on the forum who had a quadrantectomy and i note one says they can move tissue around so i guess its just a waiting game (again!) to see what it looks like after the swellings gone down/healing and ofcourse the pathology results. But yes i think a re construction of some sort is possible if needed.

Im really glad to here you are getting some independence back, that will help you feel better im sure. Great that you love your new boob!

Im moving back to England this year so hoping this is all resolved by then.

Take care

Xx

Hi Poppyfields 

First off glad you ok . However wow ..youve been throught a lot ! As you say so much more than you expected . I must admit Iv never heard of a quadrantectomy ..can they reconstruct that at all . ? 

Im really not surprised youre emotional .. You do need to take time to recover and let hubby give you loads of TLC . 

I appreciate you letting me know  how you are I was actually  thinking of you yesterday . 

As for me I think Im doing pretty good now . Seven weeks post op .. Im driving again , managing to cook meals , light housework and pretty much independent again . Im bit cautious about lifting heavy objects and pushing hoover over carpets . I think Im nervous about doing too much as its a big op to take risks and mess anything up . So far my new boob looks fab ... skin around both suture lines has been very itchy and has drove me mad . But hey if that s all Iv got to complain about its not bad ! 

Be kind to yourself . Big hugs Steph xxxx

Hi Steph , Surgery went well on Wed.
Allocated my bed by 08:30 and taken down to radiology for 2 wire localisations done via digital mammogram and the other via ultrasound completed by mid morning with radiologist and then wheeled straight up to operating theatre floor to be prepared for surgery.

Discussions between the radiologist & surgeon prior to going into theatre resulted in the surgeon telling me he had decided to take a larger tissue area than he originally thought and after surgery he told my husband and friend he had to remove even more so i ended up with a quadrantectomy.

Was back on the surgical ward by about 3ish from recovery. Slick processes, excellent organisation, medical staff &porters. (Spanish NHS hospital.)Very impressed.

Im strapped up like a mummy!!! Which is very supportive. i have a drain and have to go to Drs every 2 days and hospital revision on Monday. Before i went into theatre the surgeon said 3-4 weeks for pathology results. Glad its out of the way and can get on with recovery. Wasnt expecting the bandaging or drain but i guess it was a bigger op than originally expected.

Feeling quite weak and was abit emotional this morning.

Looking forward to seeing surgeon to see why so much was taken. I understand he decided to take some fibrosis aswell as everything else which had never been talked about.. Im sure during the ultrasound aswell  i heard the radiologist and other doctor present pointing out something they thought was an abscess and they zoomed in to take a photo. I didnt question it as id spent along time clamped in the mammogram more pain from the ultrasound one etc. 

Time will tell i guess

How are you?

X

Hi Stef, thanks, hopefully the next few days won't go slowly!!
That's good news you don't need more treatment and I wish you well. I'll update after surgery. Xx

Hi Poppyfields 

Iv been looking out for a post from you . Glad youve got your date and yes itll be good for you to get it out of the way . Good luck for next Wednesday xx

Im doing ok Im six weeks post op from mastectomy and recon . Results for me were very good no radio or chemo . So Im just concentrating on getting back on my feet and return to work as soon as I can .

Ill be looking out for your posts to see how youre getting on  . Big  hugs Steph xxx

Hi all. How you all doing? I've finally got my surgery date following a delay due to no avail beds. So, next Wednesday morning. I will be glad to get it out the way, it's been a long wait. Keen to get to the waiting for results stage.
Hope you are all doing OK.
Xx

Hiya Steph Popyfields, Ali48 and Jill. Thankyou for all your kind support. Yes my fist reaction was to have a mastectomy or even double one but my consultant at the time said oh ñooooooo thats overkill. After 3 operations i probably will be doing the very thing i thought i should of had when i first looked at the forum. I said to my husband, im not having bits chopped out of me only to end up having it all off. Yet here i am in that same boat. I must say my right boob doesnt look too bad or odd size. In a bra there is no difference but am too firm and small to have any more reconstruction other than a tattoo nipple. So if the next step is mastectomy i want a flat stomach to go with it like Stephx

Hi Coralie 

so sorry to hear all what youre going through ..it really does sound that you would have been better with a mastectomy . If Id had to go through the same as you Id have been round the bend .. I think because of my personality I cope better with just get rid and get on ha .. might sound a bit drastic but thats me . I think the problem you have been faced with is  that low grade DCIS is controversial whether to treat or not , and depending on the belief of your surgeon and policies within the hospital really does dictate your treatment options . I have already told you I was offered the trial to monitor or because mine  was widespread over an area of 59mm it was too big an area to remove without me being disfigured . So I was asked what my thoughts were .. you know what my decision was ..and I was very glad that I didnt have anyone making further  suggestions that would have confused me . It was my choice all the way , and I knew the risk of feeling Id been over treated and I have to be honest since Iv had the final histology it turns out that although the area was widespread I did only have 13mm of low grade DCIS ...Has this made me feel different NO it has not because it is only by taking the complete breast tissue that the final result can be 100% accurate ...and when I have read about the amount of excisions and shaves ladies like yourself have to endure and the mental stress that goes with it I feel I was really given the best option and Im feeling fine . 

I had to have three lymph nodes removed before the mastectomy because apparently it is difficult to test them after a mastectomy ..and no I have not got any arm swelling . I have had immediate reconstruction and yes it was a diep from my stomach ...it is very tight and uncomfortable at present but it has only been since 5th Dec .. as its major abdominal surgery its similar recovery to that of a hysterectomy so it could be up to 3 months and for first 6 weeks no hoovering or lifting , driving ..not even changing your bed . So Im afraid it really is sit and do nothing . Im guessing that would be something very difficult for you with your son . The DCIS was all contained within the ducts so no radiotherapy or chemotherapy . My surgeon did discuss Tamoxifen with me but I have declined it ... we both agreed the side effects were so risky and because any problems in my left breast will be picked up in my yearly mammogram, also I have access to an email system they have which links me to the breast clinic 24/7 if I have any concerns . Im happy with that . I can lift my arm easily ...not quite at full range yet . I have my exercises to do.. must admit Iv been a bit lazy with them .. I do them but not the three times a day ... I will be now though ...New Year resolution lol . Im not surprised that you hit a low because we all want the light at the end of the tunnel . Please be assertive when you speak to your Consultants and say what you want .. it does sound though as next move could be mastectomy .. not sure what your boob looks like at present with the procedures youve had but even without mx you may need some form of reconstruction ..NHS are still funding this type of surgery . I now will be referred to some sort of Holistic therapy group in my area I believe very soon . Iv actually been treated outside my area because the surgeons in my local cancer hospital dont have any plastic surgeons only oncoplastic surgeons who only do recon with implant . Iv been very lucky with my Consultants I only wish you had . You can private message meif you can work it out . I will try and join you so you dont have to look for the threads .I must admit Iv wanted to see how some ladies are and had same problem . Try and hang in there honey Im here to talk to anytime . Iv been worried about a lady called Sudzi if you spot her on here please tell Iv been asking about her . Massive hugs for you ..and speak to me anytime . I frequently have  a look on here late at night to see how the girlies are getting on . I dont like to say too much because I certainly havent had it tough like some of you .. but I am very interested and more than happy to chat . Take  care Coralie and try and keep upbeat ... youve had some bad days but it doesnt mean its a bad life . More hugs xxxxx Steph 

Hi. Happy New year all aswell. Coralie, I hope you recover OK from your surgery and don't wait long for your results.

I'm still waiting for my surgery date and don't expect it to be before w/c 9th Jan now as next week will be a short week with new year hols and also here in spain the "Kings" on 5th and public holiday on 6th.

Best wishes for 2017.
Xx

Hi poppy fields and Ali and all Happy New year. Lets hope 2017 will be better for us allx

Hiya Steph I've been trying to locate your post as im not great on this forum. Ali and Jill have been very suportive as i hit rock bottom with last results. My nice consultant has called me back and explained they have already taken 55mm from me including the nipple where it started with bleeding. I have been told East and West of the nipple area is clear but North and South is not. I had surgery yesterday by my nice consultant who saw me at beginning and end. He has explained that if they find more then i will have to have a mastectomy, which i initially thought i should have when it was first found. He has explained its early and low grade and confined to now 2 ducts. Well i had the cavity shave yesterday and unlike last time i couldn't sleep a im bursting with energy? Ive got up to have a bath and now back in bed. I was a little sore yesterday and last night but not bad today. I wanted to know how your getting on now. Did your arm swell up? And did they do a reconstruction from your back muscle or an implant? How long did you have to rest ?as im a hairdresser and have an autistic son which can be demanding on me physically. Im coming to terms with having the mastectomy. Have you got to have any other treatments like radiotherapy or chemo ect. Do you worry about DCIS in other breast. I feel this DCIS is like a bloody time bomb. And yes you made the right decision to not wait to see if it becomes invasive especially after they operate and mess around with you. Can you lift your arm ok? I would prefer them to take fat from my stomach lol

Hi Steph, you're post is clear and so positive. I, like you feel very lucky too and positive. Having my 13th session tomorrow then a 4 day break and just 2 to finish next week. All done within 4 m9nths so very lucky and thankful for our wonderful NHS!

Coralie glad your pre op went well and now you can 'stay in the day' and enjoy Christmas I hope.

Xxc

Hi Ali49 

Wishing you a lovely Christmas . I hope youve got a break from your treatment and can enjoy it . Iv had good news as you may have read and Im very grateful . so Im looking to have a nice Christmas albeit I wont be doing much and thats a big change for me .

Hopeflly catch up soon .Best Wishes Big hugs  Steph xxx

Hi Poppyfields 

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and can put your surgery to the back of your mind . I know thats a tough challenge but I hope you can . It wont be long now for the surgery and hopefully youll get a good result . It goes without saying that Ill be looking to see how youre doing . 

Theres not much else to say as youve read my other post to Coralie , but I wish you well . Enjoy the festivities and speak soon . Big hugs Steph xxx

Thanks for your update Steph J. Interesting to know how you've been getting on. I hope you can relax over Xmas and get some tlc. Keep us posted on your progress.

My pre op assessment was straightforward so now just waiting for the surgery date.

I'm busy with visitors so it's keeping my mind occupied.
Hope everyone can relax abit and have fun over Xmas.
Best wishes. Xx

Hi Ali and Poppyfields 

Would you mind reading my reply to Coralie and youll be up to speed with me . I will speak later to you both Im just going to have something to eat and write some Christmas cards to my neighbours ha ..the joys of Christmas eh . 

Thank you both for your thoughts and taking the time to write .. I do appreciate the support . Speak later ..hugs to you both xxx

Hi Coralie please dont worry about speaking . Just fire away its good to talk . First off  a BIG THANK YOU for your thoughts .

Sorry that youve had a few upsetting liasons you really dont need nor deserve  . I suppose its the reality of life that not everyone has the best communication skillls required for the jobs they do . Dont take it personal xx

Ok I have had low grade DCIS like yourself , it was sold to me that I had two choices participate in a trial to monitor and see . Low grade does not always move outside the ducts but there is no guarantee that it wont and in some cases it  can become invasive over time . I had no sentinel node involvement . I was told I had 59mm of widespread DCIS . To remove it would mean Id be left with a disfigured breast ( because it wasnt in one area) so the alternative was mastectomy , which I came to that decision myself before I went back to speak to Consultant ..my mind said widepread is widespread and regardless of how much I said low grade and might or might not become invasive I ended up back to the same conclusion ....But its not normal tissue and that means something is not right ! Do I want to participate in a trial to see if it becomes invasive ..hell no !  I have the chance to prevent it spreading ...well take the chance !!! It was a no brainer for me . 

I had my mastectomy on 5th Dec .. I will need my nipple construction at later date ( was offered nipple sparing but that made no sense to me as DCIS is in the ducts and to risk leaving nipple which could have cells in was pointless to me ... ) So at moment I just have a bit of skin in place of nipple till its sorted and I will also be having a mastoplexy to lift my other boob so its equal height of my reconstructed one . Obviously this will all be reassessed by my plastic surgeon in a few months time . But at present this in the plan . 

Surgery went well for me , I did have a post op complication with a haematoma but it was all dealt with the next day , unfortunately it did mean a second trip to theatre but I was fast asleep , and staff were fab and I felt so safe and looked after . I was very weak for prob first 5 days but this doesnt happen for every woman . Im now 17 days post op ...Im managing my exercises ok , wounds are fine , still slowly pottering around . I am getting breathless but I did have low BP and low HB ..and two lots of anaesthetic so hey ...Iv got to be patient . I dont feel weepy but I have been incredibly lucky . I was picked up early and results yesterday showed there was only 13mm of malignant cells and these have now gone ...Do I feel there was overkill ....hell noooo . My DCIS was widespread there was no way of determining how much of it needed to be removed ( if it had been in the form of a lump it may have been different ) . I still have same mindset there was abnormalities in my breast and they needed to be gone ! 

I dont need any further treatment . We did discuss Tamoxifen but Im on yearly screening now so not a lot of point taking a med which could give me lousy side effects .. Im willing to take the risk and go without . So now its recovering after my surgery and staying positive .. I am so grateful I was picked up early and will be monitored for next five years . 

As for the pain ... my breast has never bothered me I was on codeine and paracetamol in hospital , and still need a couple of paracetamol occasionally . In hospital I was also on a slow release anaeasthetic pump .. but thats instead of the PCA because hospital found women who have had DIEP reconstruction fair better with pain and recovery having the anaesthetic pump rather than the morphine pump . Because I had problems with the internal bleed I did have to have some oral morphine for a couple of days ..but as already said not everyone has complications . And the pain was in my tummy not breast . The important part was I was kept as painfree as possible. 

I know Iv been incredibly lucky and I will do my best to follow all the stay  healthy advice that I can because a scare is a scare . Not sure how long recovery time is .

Please speak to me anytime Coralie . Big hugs Steph xxx

I'm glad you got better attention and some information. Best wishes for next stage.

I'm off for my pre op this morning with the anaesthetist. So a step forward for me too.

Xx

Let's hope for clear margins on 30th Coralie. Glad things were clearer today xx

Hi Ali49 and Poppy fields. Thanks for the support. I did call the nurse and my consultant today who called back and was very sympathetic to the way I was treated yesterday. They didn't even check my woundx which my consultant was very upset about. Anyway they have already taken 55mm of DCIS apparently. It's north and south of the nipple that's not clear. East and west was clear. They did a central resection including my nipple as that had bled as a sign of the cancer. If the don't get enough on 30th it will have to be a complete mastectomy. Today they were much better with explainaction

Thanks for the clarification. Just got the pre op meeting with the anaesthetist tomorrow. I think surgery will be early Jan, but no date yet....will get a week's notice by phone call....

Hope you have a good Xmas. Thanks for everything.
Xx

It is to achieve Clear margins Poppy fields. They get clear margins first time with 80% of people so hopefully you will be one of them. Good luck tomorrow, hope everything goes well and clear margins are achieved. You will be great xx

Ah, OK... Is that to get the "margins" that people talk about if not previously got on the WLE/Lumpectomy ?

I'm having surgery/general anesthetic with wire localisation beforehand in the morning (mammogram guided) to remove the microcalcifications (and hopefully the fibroadenoma) so presumably after the biopsy if they have found any cancer they may need to go back in to get clean margins?? Would that be a cavity shave then??

Xx

Hi Poppy fields. The WLE is like a lumpectomy I think - they take the area with the cancerous cells in it away - they do it using an ultrasound as with DCIS, they can't actually see the area. With the cavity shave they open the area up again and shave some more tissue away from where the original area was. That is how I understand it anyway x

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this Coralie and I hope you get some clarification. X

Ali49, I'm interested to know what the difference is between a WLE and a cavity shave..??. I've never heard of the latter before.

Best wishes.
Xx

So that is really positive that it is all DCIS Coralie. You just need more help and advice to choose the next step x

Hiya Ali49 it's supposed to be low grade DCIS. Last time the consultant said I was so lucky. I don't feel lucky. Today the consultant said it was all early low grade DCIS and no invasive cancer.

Coralie the cavity shave is a shorter operation than the WLE and for me it was a quicker recovery. My cavity shave was 4 weeks after my WLE so I was pretty much healed. I think they only find the true size of the DCIS when the sample is sent to the lab. I was told mine was 24mm first but it was 29mm when they took it out. Ask to meet with your 1st consultant again. You are entitled to ask for a 2nd opinion and definitely need clarity. Did they tell you the grade of the DCIS?

High Steph. I was looking to liaise with you but I'm rubbish on this forum.I've been very upbeat till today but had a very matter of fact consultant today who said I didn't have clear margins and I'm booked for operation on 30th December. Im gutted. He said well you can save time and just have a mastectomy. The last consultant I saw throughout before said it's only 7mm and that would be over kill. Today's one said he didn't know about 7 ml and that I had 5cm. I have a letter on the fridge saying 7ml? Now I'm confused..is the shave like the WLE.
How are you after treatment? How long before you can get back to normal?

Glad you Re home and have been well looked after Steph j. Hoping for good recovery and good news on Wednesday for you. Take care xx

Hi. Glad you are home and starting recovery, hope you get on OK, I'm sure it's a roller coaster of emotions. Let me know how your results go.

I have had 3 general anaesthetics before the last being back in 1997 when I had a previous lumpectomy!! (All OK.) I just have this unfounded fear of not waking up!!! Silly I know!! But of course I know all will be fine and I'll be well looked after as you say..

I hope you get lots of attention and tlc, good results and are able to enjoy your Xmas.
Best wishes and stay in touch.
Thanks for your support.
Xx

Hi Poppyfields 

Glad to hear you have a plan . I think your anxiety over anaesthetic is natural if you have not undergone one before . I think its the being out of your own control but you really will be looked after . And I think if you tell the anaesthetist how scared you are he/she will get you prepped and asleep as quickly as possible . You will only be aware of going into the anaesthetic room and the next will be when you are being woken up . 

Cant really advise you what to ask as what is important for you to know may not be as important to me . If anything like the UK all risks and benefits  will  be highlighted to you . Just write down anything that you think you would like to know and ask .

Im home now after my mastectomy and recon , the staff who cared for me have been fab . I get my histology results next Wednesday so itll either be more treatment or just concentrate on recovering after my surgery .. Obviously I would not have chosen this journey but i cannot complain about the care that I have received it has been first class from everyone involved and I am very grateful . 

Hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family and thank you for sharing your journey . Take care . Big hugs xxx

You too Poppy fields. Try to stay in the day and not think ahead. I just say to myself that 'Today I am ok'! Xxx

Hi Ali49.
I'm glad your radiotherapy is going OK although I can't imagine it's easy but you sound in good spirits.

I've been writing down questions as I think of them relevant to the anaesthetist, radiologist (when I see him for the wire localisation ,) surgeon and the breast consultant (results day. )

It's all abit different here than uk (no breast clinic, just different hospital departments to deal with) and I will only get to speak to I guess what would be the equivalent of the BCN when she phones me with the surgery date, certainly up until maybe a positive diagnosis it isn't a support role. I hope not to find out if there is an equivalent BCN role after diagnosis!!!!!

I think here the key person for me so far is the radiologist who is a fabulous man, a real gem. I think I'll get most of my questions answered by him.

I am apprehensive about the surgery/general anesthetic I think more than the possibility of having cancer right now and would have preferred to get this stage out of the way before Xmas despite family coming. But then ofcourse you just end up waiting for results. So I am OK (ish) thanks.
I think I'm just breaking it down into chunks in order to deal with it in conjunction with other pressures in my life currently.

Thanks for listening and hope you have a good Xmas, and your treatment continues ok. Xx

Hi Poppy fields, good to hear from you
I have had 7 of 15 radiotherapy sessions and so far so good!
My pre op was with my BCN and I think that was when everything began to feel real! I asked all the things that were milling around in my head so write everything down that you are wondering about or any questions you have and take it with you. If you can take someone with you too as they will hear things that you might not and might also think of other questions too. My pre op did help to reassure me and allay some fears I had (although I was still scared!) I hope it goes smoothly and you don't have to wait too long for op. How are you feeling?

Hi ladies, just wondering how you are doing?

I've got my pre op with the anaesthetist next Wed, so I expect surgery will be in January.

Any questions I should be asking?

Xx

I hope your radiotherapy goes OK.
Family members coming don't know yet what's going on, not really sure what if anything to say unless the surgery is scheduled whilst they are here.....

Xx

But don't forget to take it easy. Let them spoil you x

Hi Poppy fields
I am starting 15 sessions of radiotherapy on Wednesday 7th and finishing on Fri 30th dec. A bit of a break over Christmas but all done for new year hopefully. Not having to take any horm9ne tablets but will have yearly mammograms for the next 5 years. Good that you have family support over Christmas b