Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mid 20's BRCA2 +

5 REPLIES 5
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Mid 20's BRCA2 +

Hi Steph!
I was diagnosed with BRCA2 a few years back and am now also 26 and weighing up my options! I am currently seriously considering going ahead with the double mastectomy and having the reconsructive surgery done at the same time. The plan is to leave my ovaries until my mid thirties when I will hopefully have had my kids! Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or just want a chat about the different options, I know it can feel a bit overwhelming at times!!
Lisa x
samantha86

Hi Steph,
I am 27, and found I had BRCA1 in 2011.
I have been on my local hospitals waiting list for 2 years for risk reducing mastectomy, unfortuntatly they are overrun at my local hospital and Ive had surgery dates cancelled. but this is not the same for all nhs trusts, infact most women from referal have been sorted within 8 months.

I am having a hysterectomy in my mid 30's, although I am not having anymore children (2 daughters now) I was advised it would do more harm than good at the present time.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.
Sam x
dib

Hi Steph,my daughter tested positive for BRCA1 and at the age of 29 had a double mx with immediate recon,she is very happy with the result and relieved to have the fear of developing bc almost eradicated.She has also been advised to have a oopherectomy when she is 35.Its a tough decision and you should get as much info as you can before making this very big decision,good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Di.x

Wendy56

Hi Steph I have BRCA 1 and had BC twice. My youngest daughter has unfortunately inherited this and found out last month whilst on honeymoon. She has seen the surgeon twice now to discuss having a bilateral mastectomy which looks like will take place in September . She is 31 and no children as yet. It is a very difficult decision too make so make sure it is the right choice for you.

Wendy
June_BCC

Hello Steph1987

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you. I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.

Maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open again on Monday and normal hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Steph1987

Mid 20's BRCA2 +

Hi All,

I was told im BRCA 2+ when i was 21, im now 26 and im starting to weigh up my options of what to do, surgery vs no surgery (at present or in the future).

However, im finding it a hard decision, obviously. But im also struggling to find other women who are as young as me who are in the same boat. Is anyone out there????? i would really appreicate some contact with other woman who are a similar age to see what your opinions are.

Cheers, Steph x